ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Chase Racing Clio
Pete. I'd really look at changing that camera position.... with the dark interior, the contrast is quite a lot and you can't see much of what's going on outside of the car. With our white interior, it's not a hell of a lot better tbh, but under most levels of light you can make the track out and see where the car is. If you move the camera to the top of the dash, you get a bit of a better appreciation of the speed too!

We're in the process of a bit of a refurb (update to be done soon) and I'm going to move the camera positions around. I'm gonna make a permanent one on top of the dash which will be the main shot and then scatter a couple of mounts around the car for alternative angles (ie driver, rear and pedals). The main shot will be with the GoPro and the little shots I'm going to get some of those little 20 quid micro cameras.

Also, wire in a usb plug and get an open case.... you'll never have to worry about battery life ever again! It's sooo much better. We're going to integrate a little usb socket thing in to our central dash panel which we'll pick off power for the camera and the data logger.

Got to use your green flag/warm up lap more, work everything more, just chugging around isn't going to do much.

Pi55er about the missfire, really annoying.

I'll have to remember to switch off from summer cruising mode! Not had to work on warming things up before - the mini in front was going mad - he had more forethought than I for sure, lol.

Yes - wished it'd gone in Q really, then could have sorted it. Waiting on Hubs then it'll be off to Dan's.

Pete. I'd really look at changing that camera position.... with the dark interior, the contrast is quite a lot and you can't see much of what's going on outside of the car. With our white interior, it's not a hell of a lot better tbh, but under most levels of light you can make the track out and see where the car is. If you move the camera to the top of the dash, you get a bit of a better appreciation of the speed too!

We're in the process of a bit of a refurb (update to be done soon) and I'm going to move the camera positions around. I'm gonna make a permanent one on top of the dash which will be the main shot and then scatter a couple of mounts around the car for alternative angles (ie driver, rear and pedals). The main shot will be with the GoPro and the little shots I'm going to get some of those little 20 quid micro cameras.

Also, wire in a usb plug and get an open case.... you'll never have to worry about battery life ever again! It's sooo much better. We're going to integrate a little usb socket thing in to our central dash panel which we'll pick off power for the camera and the data logger.

Hi Hoofy, yes planning to move the camera to the pax side of the ROP, going to try the frame by the door B pillar and also the ROP frame by the dash(which I don't doubt will be the better place). I have had the camera wired in but didn't want to cut a hole in my go pro case and haven't found an open case yet ( I think you've posted a link to this before). I've a universal ball joint mount which will jubilee clip on to any part of ROP letting me keep the camera horizontal (I hope). All a bit annoying really as the camera was fine in this position until this year when it decided to notice the dark interior and over expose the outside.

Got a link to the sort of micro cameras you're looking at?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Get a gopro frame mount pete. They're obviously not waterproof so indoor use only, but you can plug a power supply into the side of it. That's what I do with mine. Stops any noise issues you sometimes get off the waterproof case as well.

Chase Racing Clio
Got a link to the sort of micro cameras you're looking at?

I was looking at those dash cams they use in Russia and thought...surely there's some products knocking about. One I found seemed pretty reasonable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0ZJRYG/?tag=cliospnet01-21

It can be powered from USB like the GoPro's and will take up to 32gb SD cards. Also, it has the little 1/4" inch thread type attachment, so could be easily mounted almost anywhere. For less than 25 quid, I think that's pretty good value!

I was looking at those dash cams they use in Russia and thought...surely there's some products knocking about. One I found seemed pretty reasonable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0ZJRYG/?tag=cliospnet01-21

It can be powered from USB like the GoPro's and will take up to 32gb SD cards. Also, it has the little 1/4" inch thread type attachment, so could be easily mounted almost anywhere. For less than 25 quid, I think that's pretty good value!

Cheers - not bad for the cash.

Playing PS3 GT5 of late with Harry and Scarlett, who both can get around Laguna Seca (and other tracks using FWD only) with out much drama, with all assistance switched off, full real. I find the steering\braking is a PITA no feel etc. Any one got any experience of the force feed back steering wheel\pedals set ups - been looking at the Logitech G27 mostly and even the Fanatec set ups - though these are a bit to costly really. The G27 can be had for around £150 off eBay 2nd hand.

Just wondering if they're as good as people say they are, don't think I've ever used one.

Not after the full seat set up just get a stand \ mount set up that you put in front of a chair etc.

WRX
I've got the Logitech Driving Force GT one Pete and I find it far better than a controller. Well made and sturdy for the price, helps to make smoother inputs IMO.

I've got the Logitech Driving Force GT one Pete and I find it far better than a controller. Well made and sturdy for the price, helps to make smoother inputs IMO.

Cheers Adam - got a G27 coming now, bought new on Black Friday - I think because GT6 is coming out in a week the 2nd hand value on eBay is\was getting more that £220 so got a new one a bit cheaper.

Not touched the Cup - still waiting on the hubs to be returned and then will make a start on all the jobs and crank sensor.

The provisional dates for next years FT series are;

ROCKINGHAM APRIL 5/6
CASTLE COMBE MAY 5
BRANDS HATCH JUNE 7
DONINGTON PARK JULY 12/13
SILVERSTONE AUGUST 9/10
OULTON PARK SEPTEMBER 13
CADWELL PARK OCTOBER 11

AUTUMN TROPHY 3 RACE SERIES
SNETTERTON NOVEMBER 1

I know the ones we won't be doing
Castle Combe - not do able in a day from here
Silverstone - sailing in Greece
Oulton Park -
not do able in a day from here

And we plan to do 1 event each as the two driver rule is going to be a pain moving forward as I want to be in, at or near the top 5+ this year, same for Sam too. And starting last in race 2 just doesn't cut it after all the cash\effort we've pumped into the Cup.

That's means a bun fight over who drives at what track, I think I'll end up with Donington and Cadwell as Rockingham and Brands are a little less demanding for the driver.

The driver with the highest finish over the year will do Snetterton, maybe gift the last race of the day to the junior, lol.

That's next year planned out, apart from testing etc.

Great stuff Pete all sounds good and look forward to seeing how you get on next year :)

IMO it would be better to do a race weekend each like you are saying as although you will only do half the circuits you can focus more on the weekends you are driving and the other can be focused on everything else :)

Well, the G27 steering wheel arrived, didn't unbox it just sending back under the distance selling regs, (think I'm turning into Nick (lol)). Change of heart and didn't want to spend the cash - with the stand etc working out to a total of £300+. I'm doing ok with the controller so will stick with that.

Phew, not been on here for a while - got my hubs back and will be fitting over the coming weekend. Be good to get most of the camber off so will have lots of contact, drive into\through and out of bends now. This will be a good experience!

Get the geometry sorted then arrange with Dan to get the ECU flashed etc and we'll be ready for testing early March at Rockinham. First race there in beginning of April.

For some reason started playing the electric guitar over Christmas, bought Harry and Scarlett a Rocksmith 2014 package (everything to get you going inc electric guitar). Even though the guitar had junior in it's name it's not for juniors - so had to buy a cheap 3\4 size one for them to play this week. They are getting better but the stings cut into their fingers a bit (now I've had to buy a cheap acoustic nylon strung guitar for easy practice). I had a go, really liked it and now have learnt a few chords, can pick, shift, slide quite reasonably and it sounds ok'ish. Started using www.justinguitar.com for actual beginners lessons. Never experienced such sore fingers and have been told to use surgical spirit to quicken the finger tip pad hardening, which we're all doing. Sam's picked it up ok too, so maybe a family group on the horizon..lol.

WRX
Very therapeutic once your fingers get used to it Pete. I would guess that the "Junior" reference is to do with a lesser spec style guitar. Gibson use that quite often, I just bought TAB books and learned from them.

Very therapeutic once your fingers get used to it Pete. I would guess that the "Junior" reference is to do with a lesser spec style guitar. Gibson use that quite often, I just bought TAB books and learned from them.

yes, it's Gibson Les Paul Jr, a nice cheap one to start with. Fingers toughing up more each day, trying to get 15 - 20 mins a day seems about right at the moment. Bit less for Harry and Scarlett. Handy being the same level and now having 3 guitars. I learn a chord then show them, Scarlett is a natural, Harry's cack handed like me!

Nice one Pete, look forward to meeting you at Rockingham. Keep on with the guitar mate, I have been playing a few years now, its a good stress buster

Will you be testing before at Rock? There's a track day on the 15 March for £140 that I think we'll be going to.

Rain stopping play today, no cover to fit hubs and can't be bothered to drag all the tools up to the barn. Tractor battery is flat and I'll get soaked walking up there. I've a 40watt solar panel and battery conditioner to fit on the barn to stop the battery draining in the tractor. Not got round to fitting that yet - think I'll do that first when it stops raining.

Its the good thing about the French Trophy, with the 2 races, come second race you get to know the layout so much better, other that a single race (obviously).

Hopefully we can get more ppl joining us this year

Like me last year, did a track day there, come race day it was a different layout.
That was a shock!

Ah, checked already, it's a Rockingham own track day on the International sports car circuit. The only difference could be the addition of a short extension after pif paf come race day.
Other TD organisers seem use cones etc to change the layout on their days.

Sun is out , so hubs on and wets on today, leaving race wheels free so can get the rubber changed too. Also fix the barns solar panel while it's nice out.

Last edited: