ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tom's 182 'B' Road Blaster

Discounted 1*2 parts
Hi Guys

Picked up my new 182 at the weekend so thought I'd start a new project thread. She's covered 105k and still drives like a car with half the mileage. Only things I can really fault so far are, the front brakes seem imbalanced (will try cleaning up), and a very slight whine from the PAS on full lock from cold. Picked her up for £2100 so it seems I got a bargain.

My aim with this car is to make it as light as possible without making it unbearable to drive (like my old ph1!!) and hopefully increasing the power to become a B road weapon suitable for the odd track day too.

Here are a few pics from the advert

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

clio.jpg

Wheels scuffed

IMG_0141.jpg

Scuff on front bumper

IMG_0143.jpg

Wear on seat bolster

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Only mods so far are a carbon front splitter and silvervision bulbs (front)

Will update with my plans soon............

is1

Integra Type R DC2
Congratulations.
Good base to start from in your situation but those tyres make me wince.

Audi A3
change them tyres.

seat bolster isnt bad at all and nice to see the thumb grips are still in good nick!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Congratulations.
Good base to start from in your situation but those tyres make me wince.

Lol they're getting replaced with the TD's on the DCI - will soon to be wrapped in decent rubber too (888's or RS2's)

Very cheap, the one with the engine swap on here?

Don't think so mate

change them tyres.

seat bolster isnt bad at all and nice to see the thumb grips are still in good nick!

Steering wheel is getting replaced with a sabelt one and this will end up in the DCI :)

R26
Get yourself to Bedford on the 26th November!! I booked yesterday, I'm letting la drive too :)

Only £105 with a discount code :)

172 Cup
As said sounds like yu got a good deal mate and after you've worked your magic it should look superb ;)

RB 182
Looks a tidy car for the money. Your seats look very black in the picture. mine look more dark blue than that, is it just the camera or do they actually come in different colours?

Discounted 1*2 parts
Looks a tidy car for the money. Your seats look very black in the picture. mine look more dark blue than that, is it just the camera or do they actually come in different colours?

Think the ph1 seats were more blue and all the ph2 seats were black? Then the 182 seats had the white dots on iirc?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Making it light? No offence, that's a horrendous idea. You spent forever making your ph1 a "track weapon" iirc, never tracked it then hated it for being too impractical.

Keep it exactly as it is, consider some suspension and upgrade the brakes, then track it as is.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Making it light? No offence, that's a horrendous idea. You spent forever making your ph1 a "track weapon" iirc, never tracked it then hated it for being too impractical.

Keep it exactly as it is, consider some suspension and upgrade the brakes, then track it as is.

When I say light, I'm not talking about stripping the living daylights out of it. I still want the car to be a nice/comfortable drive. I'll be doing things like removing rear seats and trims but carpetting the rear / plastic door panels etc. Lighter bucket seats etc. Will put up more plans when I get 10 mins :)

Brakes and suspension are a definate on the list though ;) - liking the look of the willwood 4 pot kit and some H&R's (not sure what other decent setups come in the cup pack fitment)

Discounted 1*2 parts
So the plans are as follows......

Suspension/Chassis

New OE shocks
Eibach sportlines
Whiteline rear ARB
Poly bushed front end
Solid top mounts
New track rod ends and coaxials

Brakes

Brembo HC Discs
Ferodo or Brembo Pads - not sure which is best for fast road/occasional track use?
Braided Lines
Brake fluid change

Wheels/Tyres

Team Dynamics pro race 1.2 15" (from the DCI)
Yokohama AD08's or Toyo R1R's - again not sure which is best

Interior

Bimarco Futura/Recaro pole position seats
Custom subframes to sit as low as possible
Sabelt steering wheel and OMP boss
Sabelt 3" 4 point harnesses
Half Cage
Flocked Dash
Poly door cards
Poly windows
Some strippage but keeping it all carpetted for comfort

Engine

Matched inlets
Exhaust system + Decat - liking the look of the KTR Ultra system
Espace V6 airbox - if I can find one second hand
Catcams 438's
Air con removal kit
Lightweight bottom pulley
Cambelt change - Due Nov 2012
(Throttle bodies - possibly!!)
Remap

Discounted 1*2 parts
I'd like to know this too as looking at R1R's (£63 each from Camskill) to use as wets.

Looking at going back to bedford too on the 26th, weather dependant though. May see you there....

Hopefully will do :)

If you get the R1R's by then hopefully you can give me a review ;)

How have I missed this thread?!!! Nice buy Tom! Look forward to seeing the progress.
Both of us back in Mk2's now ;)

Lol yes mate, will be following yours too ;)

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks like you had a steal there bud. Plans sound good except for the interior plans (not sure why and not a negative comment)
If it were mine I'd be getting it shiny and perfect and going down the oem+ route.

R26
I'd like to know this too as looking at R1R's (£63 each from Camskill) to use as wets.

Looking at going back to bedford too on the 26th, weather dependant though. May see you there....

I'm doing Bedford on the 26th! Tom may be coming too:)

Focus, GSXR1000 & R6
Thanks for the link :rasp:

This looks good, will be interesting to see it progress!

RB One Eight Two
Only just noticed this Tom. Plans sound great, if this will be anything like your DCI then it will be mint when your finished with it.

Discounted 1*2 parts
Thanks for the link :rasp:

This looks good, will be interesting to see it progress!

Only just noticed this Tom. Plans sound great, if this will be anything like your DCI then it will be mint when your finished with it.

Cheers guys, looking forward to getting cracking with my plans in the new year.

Cleaned her up and gave it a layer of AG SRP and the paintwork came up a treat. Plenty of swirls for you to sort out Ash ;)

Discounted 1*2 parts
Update / review after month 1

So a month of ownership already, thought I'd just update the progress thread where the car stands.

After the first few drives I started to realise there was something wrong with the handling and braking system. The steering wheel pulls slightly to the left under braking yet the car itself brakes in a straight line. Also the car didn't feel as 'tight' as I'd like in the twisties. So at the first available opportuninty I got it up on the ramp at work to inspect it....

Annoyingly, everything underneath the car initially checked out OK. Put the car through the brake rollers and only had a 1% brake imbalance (almost perfect!). Got someone to sit in the car and shake the steering whilst the car was in the air. This revealed minimal play in the rack bushes and steering ball joints. I guess lots of small play is mounting up to something a lot more noticeable when driving. So today I have ordered new track rod ends, track rods and steering rack bushes. Getting them fitted throughout the week and hopefully that should make a big difference.

Other than that everything else appears OK. A slight whine from the power steering pump, which I may replace when the cambelt is due next year.

Got a sabelt steering wheel to go on from a colleague at work with a 172, however it was supplied with an OMP boss, which subsequently I have found doesn't accommodate the cruise control. So the OMP boss has swiftly been sold to make way for a Momo unit next week.

Whilst the car was in the workshop I took the opportunity to do an oil and filter change too.

Ordering some new tyres for the 172 wheels ready to go on the DCI, then the TD 1.2's will be fitted to the 182.

All in all, after selling the 200, I have a lot more money in my pocket and it seems just as much fun, if not more, to drive!! It feels nice to be able to go out again and thrash around the B roads without worrying about getting 20mpg!

Pics to follow shortly....

All in all, after selling the 200, I have a lot more money in my pocket and it seems just as much fun, if not more, to drive!! It feels nice to be able to go out again and thrash around the B roads without worrying about getting 20mpg!

Bang on the money there, Tom. Im driving a heap of crap, but still don't miss the 200 as it is so much more fun to drive!!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Yes Tom!
Looks lovely, You bringing her to the meet on saturday ?

New steering rack bushes, track rods and track rod ends are being fitted as we speak, so as long it cures the problem I mentioned above, then yes I'll be bring the 182 and DCI :)