ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track phase 182

hellloow..
So recent events have forced me to part with my 182 (which can be seen below) lots of money has been poured into it as you can all understand, and is currently up for sale.
45a1b0ebbf7b1953ea216422c9efe6f5.jpg

It recently underwent a bit of surgery due to a crunching 3rd gear and a dodgy starter motor, so I decided to remove the engine as a hole, as before the sale it would give me a good oportunity to clean it up - my thought process behind this was last time i removed a 182 box it was by dropping the subframe on my back on a gravel drive - it was unpleasant!

So I began sourcing stuff I needed, I borrowed an engine crane from a @CUB off here, who was very helpful providing that, and when I say stuff that was all I needed really.. haha but yep top man he is!

Here's how she started.
ced1e231a2cb59fb59a209412c123936.jpg

A during showing state off engine etc

1413c7fb29ab710500b8d388d3490978.jpg

195a2aea037e1ab52826b776c8748cc2.jpg

So it was a big learning curve and it was the first time I removed an engine, but it came out without any issues which I was pleased about.
23d23f68af001891507f484d63935f82.jpg

a491f1c8b3d0d8286ca35b9807a52b91.jpg

and there she is back in and all cleaned up with no issues, apart from the live wire of the starter motor was touching the trigger wire... when I connected the battery I thought I had managed to hotwire my car as it started turning over...

Sorry about that little progress on the 182...
bbbf0df85d1d991b7f48a5853813ea12.jpg

Moving on...

In addition to this I have bought myself a run in 132k phase 1 - I've always wanted one and now is probably the right time to, the title suggests this will be tracked, and further down the line when a daily is sourced - it certainly will be.

I bought it very much standard, it hasn't been looked the roof looks like someone's had a dance on it, but hey its cheap and the front end is cool af.

Picked her up from Devon

eb04c0ad33608e16ffbfe20a68b0c9f8.jpg

First thing I did was change the rear lights to ph2, but not I'm very much regretting it since I picked up a cup spoiler... :( (for £25 bargaaaaain)

650695926500fdb9540a9e8de8ac7864.jpg

following that, i restored the headlights using the usual method
aded2c235db05c71be97a78798413ef6.jpg

It was raining, and garage space is minimal...

2nd update was to replace the drivers side door, which the guy had supplied - turns out a Ph2 door will fit in a 197
761dbbeeca19c3323678352d567f7dbd.jpg

also put some ph2 bump strips along with colour coded door handles... which is a Ph2 mod I do stand by! haha

So I'm currently in process of relocating the battery to the boot just waiting on a cage for the battery.

4eece7ec3ebe9d4d21fa06083d5bd145.jpg

I will try and update this as much as possible, I'm just not very good at documenting stuff...

RB197
Will also be watching this. Good work, it looks brilliant. I've been thinking of getting another 182 to track as they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the megane and there's a lot more you can do to them.

Good luck anyway fella

Will also be watching this. Good work, it looks brilliant. I've been thinking of getting another 182 to track as they're a hell of a lot cheaper than the megane and there's a lot more you can do to them.

Good luck anyway fella
Thanks bud, yeah definitely do it! don't worry about looks just get suspension, weight and braking sorted and it's all gravy
will keep an eye on this. 182 looks great!

Was the cup spoiler off ebay by any chance? might have seen it
Thank you - annd the spoiler was from a mate who was breaking her ti 182 :)

4a40ff3ead94f6fbec3c21566ec6ebe4.jpg

4d3d4a9f18d4e4c0e1bbb71f8a3ac844.jpg

Grounds keeper at bedford chucked me a fiver afterwards...
This was a few months back but managed to get the misses out on track with me haha (she's not being serious with that pose btw)

since the 182 is popular ill throw in some photos i have to hand.

80a0307a2d914e3e47d2039a12b00652.jpg

80f923804b234e247f14b563b4d423c8.jpg

So to continue from above the 172 will eventually be going track only - the shell isn't in great condition so is perfect to get abused round track.

I totally forgot to add, I've got a set of the older version of Gaz GHA coilovers - the rears need a refurb as the adjustment is totally off and hard as hell but will be done in the next week or so.

So list of what to fit/purchase:
-Oreca steering wheel with quick release

-Finish offf bat relocation

-Alignment sorted and corner weighted (can anyone recommend a place for this near Berkshire)

-Further down the line roll centre correction kit, had a discussion with Ollie and it's probably best not to use then on a daily as much as I want them...

- One corbeau clubsport seat - for drivers seat only for the time being as it is a daily and still got full interior.

what a treacle
f952d1ac7037919211a9b3b8b53dfa0d.jpg

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Alignment, geo and corner weighting - use jtech automotive in Caversham mate. They do all mine. Very, very good. Tell them I sent you and they may sort you out a deal.

Roll centre hubs - they're fine to use on a daily, but it was more from a wear and tear perspective. I.e. If you're doing loads of miles, they'll need maintenance.

They make a huge difference though, and are well worth the cash.

Will do bud, I will phone then up!

yep I can remember you saying that - yeah ok I will also message northloop was it?

ta!

so its a sad day, the 182 has been sold - Craig (he is on here somewhere) picked it up today!

in other news the ph1

-the battery has been relocated, starter feels a little more sluggish than it used to..
0e3bc513276876ca7a8259205996c915.jpg

- update on the steering wheel
f11296392df2e392efcc6f2425eb04d1.jpg

- and here's how it sits now, going 15mm slip on spacers all round so I can keep my stud and nuts
d15c69d1f373d57692af9023007cd5d3.jpg

7028b6bf3af9334383370969d5614ade.jpg

c76b9f656dc16ac0edc07e6dd68624ce.jpg

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Hi definitely get along to some the south meets we need more phase 1s.
When you strip the interior out give me a shout if the seats are in better condition than mine I'll have them off you.

How you finding the ph1 from the 182? I did the same but interested to hear other comparisons going from newer to older.

And yeah your right, it's all about the ph1 front end! :cool:
It's very hard to compare, as atm I've got some pretty hard springs on the coilovers I'm running, so it's not great for the road - just gonna push it out till I take it off the road..

Rear exhaust is knocking (somewhere, I've replaced mount and still does it) been shaking it by hand and can't seem to find anywhere it obstructs and hits anything, so it could be rear top mounts..?

I really liked the automatic headlights and headlights in general in the 182 much better than the ph1

when's it's damp it steams up very quickly which the 182 didn't, maybe replacement seals needed or is it just common for the ph1?

other than that - I really like it, interior I'm just gonna flock as much as I can that's blue ish colour.. but yep just love the look of it, much better than the 182
Hi definitely get along to some the south meets we need more phase 1s.
When you strip the interior out give me a shout if the seats are in better condition than mine I'll have them off you.
yahh, ok will do ill keep my eyes peeled!

aye don't think theyre in bad condition, will keep you updated! will probably be throwing some povertty spec corbeau seats in there sometime :)

So a few updates have taken place

- Flocked ph1 dash
1515108048ae59449367e1d3a9a2c3e8.jpg

vents are currently drying after being Sprayed black...

Flocked steering cowling, A pillars and centre console are in the post.

8e89e707c83ef48df2a70ba1aafc48a4.jpg

and I say a few I thought I had more to write about but nope.

Unfortunately due to being in between jobs atm I've had to pull out of purchasing the roll centre correction hubs from Mark, when everything is sorted I will definitely be in the market for them again :(

Although from that rear dampers should be back from Gaz this week and then ready for corner weighting and alignment at Jtech in Caversham

plus aerocatches for the bonnet and bumper instead of the w**k rubber bands things - although when I remove them it will leave a few holes - meh

So that's about it, if anyone has got any advice of or any jobs/apprenticeships going for engineering /mechanical engineering around Berkshire area I would be very interested to know.

Thanks for reading

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Dash looks good.

Hope you sort a job out soon, I've been in between jobs before and can share your pain

Dash looks good.

Hope you sort a job out soon, I've been in between jobs before and can share your pain
Thanks paul - hopefully have something lined up!

Unfortunately had to pull out of the group buy for the roll centre correcky hubs - as it's probably best I don't spend that amount of wedge atm - definitely up for one later on this year early next year though.

so dash is complete: upper, centre console, steering cowling and a pillars - my misses is a true hero she made me and about 10 other people custom suade gearstick gaitors.

(the top isn't zip tied yet so looks a bit untidy)
d83d9aacd707adfb220862098965cf44.jpg

00f1bff0fdebebb19780bc27acdc4756.jpg

also just had the rears come back from GAZ for a full refurb with a new set of springs, although kinda regretting as want to change to rear coilovers for more height adjustability and cheaper springs for a mixture of setups for different conditions/tracks

b75fab156cbb221a90d762d1b99f991c.jpg

When I first drove the ph1 before buying I knew it was under powered and I guessed the timing was out - got I back home and put it on clip to do some diagnostics - the manifold pressure was pretty low which either pointed at timing or piston rings haha - luckilyyy

05f187012e2a33683eb644d5ef3c20e1.jpg

So this was all sorted and it runs better than ever.

Alignment has been set up haven't got a photo of the read outs - but 10 mins toe out, 2 degrees camber front and 2 rear.
These were the previous budgets which have been replaced with NS2R's

a9e3b81dd73ec478c31737c3e8d5d34f.jpg

while fitting the rear camber shims the thread in the calliper decided it hated being in there - so helicoiled it up and went on my way - love the kit

87e084043207e7f8598873923f1a6a1e.jpg

bit of work desert p**n (probably not what you're expecting if the photo is loading slowly)

488b2308bba869f51ac0775ee283c189.jpg

EPAS system has just been purchased from @TarkMalbot on here, he's a good chap and his project thread is full of birds (chickens)

63501ef2a4dcb111ae5ba6901d15b51e.jpg

Cup alternator set up has been purchased also along with a singular corbeau clubsport seat.

Cup brake lines and brackets have also been purchased from Dan @ sjm, so gonna make the trip up there this week to pick up them.. bye bye god awful ph1 abs!

Well, onto the last update. I have just bought a very cheap DCI fora daily/run around - this means it's time for the ph1 to go fully striped.
42101cf60761e09eb52ad89bd99fbec5.jpg

There gonna be no holding back, most of the loom is going, all unnecessary brackets are going etc etc
Interior is going to be painted in por-15 grey with a white 6 point bolt in cage.

Thanks for loooking

40470876e02b76ad4d2ff12d505d7173.jpg

172 Ph1
Looking good Matthew .
I recently purchased a flocked dash for mine so I'll be spraying the blue bits black as you have .
Subscribed [emoji2]

Oh are you Jason? hello - i haven't installed them yet, just cut out the skin off the bonnet - but I'm using the hole i said and I'm tilting the aerocatch parallel to the lights

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Looking nice, dash especially.

Doing the exact same as me - I have just bought a cheaper Clio as a runabout so I can go full yob on the 172. Although I have a feeling yours is going to prgress at a greater rate than mine!

Looking nice, dash especially.

Doing the exact same as me - I have just bought a cheaper Clio as a runabout so I can go full yob on the 172. Although I have a feeling yours is going to prgress at a greater rate than mine!

thanks bud, been offered the lower dash flocked too for cheap - what do you reckon?

yep £450 needs two rear tyres - i had to get over the fact it really isn't a looker but hey ho!

haha I've been looking at yours for a bit of inspiration, but yes I've got a lot of parts to hopefully arrive this week before going on holiday - we'll see, have to get them both to a Reading meet or something with the southern boys on here!

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Full flocking 😂 it is one job I want to do on mine.
Ahh Newbury, I didn't see you were that close. Well mine is going back to my parents at the end of next month so it can sit on their drive for the winter for tinkering.

Yeah not to far at all! and good plan - pretty sure I will be removing the engine out of this one... @CUB ;)

got a lot to fit and it will loads easier if engine is out.

172 Ph1
Oh are you Jason? hello - i haven't installed them yet, just cut out the skin off the bonnet - but I'm using the hole i said and I'm tilting the aerocatch parallel to the lights

Ahh ok - will look good holiday the same , others have done it like that and is ok I suppose.

I am sure some of the ph1 purest are happy to know the ph1 lights are back on thanks to dan@sjm who also provided me with the abs delete - shame I didn't meet dan when I picked them up but had a nosey round his old ph1 and it's such a cool colour.

ecdc38419395d66440653c694b2e978b.jpg

Recent progress is the ph1 is getting lighter...

While awaiting for parts to arrive I can't do much apart from remove s**t - plastics, carpets, headlining etc etc

tomorrow's plans are to start with the sound deadening [emoji30] and to finish of removing and rerouting the wiring loom.

5e12b3fbf1a773284de04512f3f98f9b.jpg

Saw this in tadley in my daily dci, anyone on here

0b3ce35e4b42ca9b52253adb4caa3718.jpg

So this is how the list current looks: of near future and future plans.

•ph1 goes on a diet.
•Fit braided lines - nearside front is rounded. - re bleed

General s**t...
•Tarpaulin - for outdoor garage...
•Source engine crane
•DCI rear tyres
•Interior paint

Car s**t waiting on delivery.
•Cup wishbones
•EPAS
•Corbeau buckets
•Ebay seat runner (for time being)
•Cup alternator set up
•Cup abs removal

When all this arrives I have decided I would remove the engine as I think it'll make it easier to fit and sort everything - while the engine is out I might aswell make it a bit more future proof.

Remove ph1 engine
- Arb bushes and rack bushes.
- Gearbox oil, engine oil and filter.
- Clutch
- Coolant
- Sump gasket
- Dephaser, water pump and 5pk aux belt
- Tempted to go Arp rod bolts - but not to sure on the process of fitting them - what tools is need for the head type etc etc

Anything else you would recommend definitely speak up as trying to think of other things...

Further down the line.
•CL rc6 pads or ds1.11s asap as I want to get out on track!!!
•Harnesses (fia)
•Polycarbonate windows
-Front £80
-Rear £55
•Solid engine mounts
•6 point bolt in cage
•Roll centre correction hubs
•Lightweight battery plus cut offs (internal&external)
•Plumbed in fire extinguisher - conforming the blue book specs (nozzle pointing at firewall, injectors and general cabin) ???

Thanks for reading guysss

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Saw this in tadley in my daily dci, anyone on here
I'm in Tadley every day.....didn't see this though.

How are you going about removing the sound deadening? Like those stuck on bits "randomly" placed around the car? I would like to remove mine before I paint the interior. Also what coulour interior you going?

While the engine is out I would definately paint/tidy up the engine bay and if you are OCD paint any engine parts you can. And then put on new solid engine mounts as it would save a job for the future.

Oh and remove the rear wiper, definately adds several bhp :wink::tongueclosed:

I think it must of been passing maybe...

and heat bud - haven't got round to removing the glue yet as I don't really know what's best to get rid - had a go with bug & tar remover it worked just took ages..

94406b72176e89422ec248420ea2f794.jpg

So easy to remove the tar though - heat and the scraper just glides through...

This is where I am sat currently - deciding what to get rid of/where do I chop the loom

to anyone - is it just a case of unwrapping the loom, locating say the airbag wires and chopping them closest to the bit in the passenger side footwell?

c21dd85428c7a8b215d3e5c9021c5488.jpg

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
You don't hang around in getting that dash out! Was the lower dash easy to do? I want to remove mine and make it black / flock it, top dash seems easy to remove.
I will acquire a heat gun then! Have you tried alcohol? Or if you are painting the interior just sand it off??

lower dash is alright, bit of a basterd! loads of things you got undo/unclip - then you pull it off and find you've got more to undo etc etc

yeah I got the cheapist screw fix one - seem to go well for a good 30 mins continuous use and for more!

yep I'm painting it but I'm brush painting it! and unsure about prep work - but i'll get to that!

metal cage is out!

8c4ce414fa585da6a67a08e2f4d7a239.jpg

now I'm kinda unsure what do with this also and how to remove the brown sound deadening s**t behind it!

75f5aa9d7e3249ab383d9e4303c821b1.jpg

What's really good is that I've removed all this today - and not gonna be working on it again for about 10days, let's see how good my memory is...

but yeah if anyone could share some light on above and removing redundant wires in the loom that would be great: unsure whether to keep the wires for the window motor as I'm pretty sure I want to go down the polycarb route - maybe ill just remove motor but keep the loom.

cheers

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
I will remove mine then. What are you doing to replace the dash? A simple driver's c**k pit/binicle only??
If you are hand painting then and sand the glue off, just go over it with a finer grade?
I would personally leave the wires in, have to weigh up the weigtht saving and potentially cocking it right up

Don't brush paint man, will look horrid. Get some satin grey and key it up with scotch pads. Around 4-5 cans should suffice. Mine came out fine but I am a painter lol.

420639FA-671B-4E3E-B35F-DF218F0160F7.jpg
Looks very good that!

57d2a411ac04605af729bae52f884bbb.jpg

this is the paint I will be using + same colour -apparently there's no brush marks...

but yeah I am umming and arring