ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trackday Noise

I have a new 172 Cup-the first Clio Ive had. Its mainly for trackdays so it has a full Janspeed system, de-cat pipe and a K+N 57i filtercharger.

Ive not had a chance to get a decibel test done yet and Im at Goodwood on Wednesday so fingers crossed it aint too loud. I got black flagged twice last year in a de-catalised car for noise. Have any of you guys experienced problems ? Limit on Wed is 101 dcb.

Renault Laguna Coupe

You can never really tell until you get there - it depends on how they measure the noise. Never yet seen a Clio have a problem though, and there are lots of de-catted cars on here.

I have the original cat on mine, and I had to keep a mid silencer on the SS exhaust to keep the noise below 98 dBA for track use. The only way to check is to get somebody with a noise meter. If you are running decat and have no mid silencer, good luck . Although 101 is pretty high. Is it measured as you drive by or actively at 2/3 max revs before the track?

You shouldnt have a problem at Goodwood, my brother took his stripped 106 Rallye fully decatted with Devil backbox and easily passed the noise test, didnt get anywhere near the limits.

Ive seen lots of exotic cars inc Scoobys, Evos and TVRS, who havent had a problem with noise.

172, Tiguan

However Ive found Goodwood particually bad, my uncle is even an Ards instructor there.

There are noise microphones all the way round Goodwood, put there by the council, so they have to be very careful.

We were regularly getting pulled up in the Westfield. Just go easy on the rev limit you tell them when you do the test and you should be OK.

Yea, goodwood is bad.

I got a LOUD car but i passed with 96db.

Just make sure the engine is hot and move the rev counter up the tacho as slowly as you can.

And if you want contest them, ask them for their calibrating DB meter, each bd meter needs a more acurate meter to calibrate off, then you have to compensate for temp, barometric pressure and humdity. Which is why in real life is fappin hard to control properly, and what theystick up your exhaust is only mildly accurate.

Youll be fine if the limits 101db . Have Goodwood raised their limits , because it used to be 98db ?

My Clio comes in at 97db , but is quite loud with no cat and a single silenced system . I really doubt youll have a problem .

Heres a tip though , when asked what your max rpm is tell them its 6.5k instead of 7.5k rpm , that way theyll ask for a lower rpm when testing the engine . It helps when your engine starts booming and popping at around 5k rpm , as mine does.

172, Tiguan

Goodwood is allowed by the councill 5 days a year to run unsilenced.

3 of these days is for the revival meeting, the other 2 is for Lord Marchs invitational days.

There days vary, but usually its 98 db, but sometimes 101db

I can tell you where all the noise microphones are if you want. a random sock has falen over these in the past....

The complaints came from the houses over by St Marys that were built well after the circuit. It always baffles me why people move near a racing circuit then complain about the noise? Then spend all day with their Flymos mowing the lawn, which are well over 98db.

Its infuriating.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Yeah i know, although goodwood didnt start back up till 1998 so many people may have lived there before. I was there for the supercar day and i can tell you there were no restrictions for some of the cars for that! Although they did mention it to us drivers about it when we went round the track.

172, Tiguan

i remember one time us turning up and being recorded at 118 db.

Err repack exhaust time...