ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trading in both my Williams’

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 23 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by ian 172 on 23 March 2004

tuscan without boubt.pure power 0-100 in 9.show me a ferari that can do that for forty grand

ian
consider this, show me a TVR that will turn heads like a Ferrari ;)

to most people a TVR will be a fast looking car, but everyone knows a Ferrari when they see one.

Or hear one;)

I will be looking for 3.5k for 0200

TVR Tuscan is awesome but we are talking about a Ferrari ! Going to be hard to beat the black horse IMHO.

You can get a 355 for around £40k, check on Auto Trader and the Sunday Times motor section.

German Barge

hmm, tbh why not consider something as rare and as different as a williams. I mean yes a ferrari is different, but can be very... *tries to think of that word from Gone in 60secs when he is in the ferrari garage* u know what i mean.

What about importing a Integra Type R, or perhaps a Civic Type R (old shape), you one for japanese stuff? I mean! if you want a ferrari get one! just having my share in the input :)

Id really like a Ferrari, but the running costs are massive. Thats why i thought of an NSX, but if they are expensive to run too i dont know. My dream car is a 355 though.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

cam belt and minor service is £1400 for a 355,but i think the tvr is about £600.If the ferrari is going to be an everyday car then its gonna be really expensive to run.What about a cheap nsx and a wesfield /cateram r500 for pure thrills and the daily commute

regards,ian

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 23 March 2004

Id really like a Ferrari, but the running costs are massive. Thats why i thought of an NSX, but if they are expensive to run too i dont know. My dream car is a 355 though.
Id say go for what you want youve got a good choice for cars realy and if a Ferrari 355 is what you want whats the point on spending a fortune on a car which isnt your dream car.

If you can afford a 355 then get a 355. There is no competition. If youre worried about the running costs then sell it when youre in dire straits (not the band that wont happen). A 355 is my dream car since its launch and even owning one for six months would be an ambition realised.

Im not sure that Id buy a Ferrari. I think that the classic Ferraris are wonderful cars - style, elegance and power, their modern efforts have awsome handling and looks.

But the Prancing Horse brand/symbol was once exclusive and respected and therefore desired, but now? they may be head turners and sound great but they are no longer exclusive and Im sure alot of people see a Ferrari, particularly a modern one, and the immediate thought is that the driver is an arrogant show-off driven by the likes of Beckham. A Ferrari is now a lifestyle accessory for the rich and famous, the brand had been diluted and is now a bit naff, think Burberry! The same is also true of Porsche, and is a criticism that isnt necessarily true of the Williams, lotus/VX220 or the NSX.

Just my view, for what its worth. I know not everyone will agree.

[flame-proof suit on]

[plasma arc cutter on}

Now this might sound harsh, but seiously.......do you have an inferiority or image complex.

Who in gods name cares what others think.

I love racing, its my life, and if i cant afford to do it, i do this. But if any of you offered me a drive in basically any half decent series, unde the condition i drive a pink car with yellow polka dots, sinage proclaiming my love for the same sex, contract saying i have to change my name by deed to "ben the homo bum bum boy", and kiss every 10th man........i would.

Why, cause ill be doing what i love, everything else is just a secondary issue.

You pump iron and are huge supposedly, and you choose cars that only represent you as a wise and thoughtful buyer?

Seriously, who cares.

I think that if youre talking about spending that much on a car, then youre clearly not getting it from the sale of both your Williams. It will be a lot of money to spend on an occasionally used car. Thought about a house or expensive jewellery collection? No, seriously!

Youre using 0200 for what Renault intended, i.e. daily motorsport-quality driving at a bargain price. Id say keep 0200 for definite, since its had a lot of time and care lavished on it by you and now its time recoup some reward for that effort in the long-run.

0002 is already your tucked away special, dusted off for magazine features and special occasions. Id only sell it if you really had one clear car in your mind to replace it - but it doesnt seem to me as if youve got one in mind yet.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

I have to agree in that id keeps the williams, but the only car I can suggest is a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, You can buy one of them in the 20 grand mark and easially mod it to over 600 bhp, there cheap to run and service and parts are cheap and easy to come by.

If I had the money thats what i would go for :)

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 24 March 2004

[plasma arc cutter on}

Now this might sound harsh, but seiously.......do you have an inferiority or image complex.

Who in gods name cares what others think.

I love racing, its my life, and if i cant afford to do it, i do this. But if any of you offered me a drive in basically any half decent series, unde the condition i drive a pink car with yellow polka dots, sinage proclaiming my love for the same sex, contract saying i have to change my name by deed to "ben the homo bum bum boy", and kiss every 10th man........i would.

Why, cause ill be doing what i love, everything else is just a secondary issue.

You pump iron and are huge supposedly, and you choose cars that only represent you as a wise and thoughtful buyer?

Seriously, who cares.

Sorry i thought this was a discussion forum. You make posts about cars wanted / interested in because other just may know more about them than you. I am no Ferrari expert but someone on here has already told me how much a cambelt service costs. So i am wiser. Someone told me about NSX running costs. I dont take everything i read as gospel, but it gives me ideas and opens my options. Yes in the end i will do what i want, but that does mean in the process i will ask opinions and collate information. And in my line of work i have to have a car that extols a particular image. I cant afford to turn up to a clients in a f**ked up nova. I care, if you dont, dont post.

Buying a Ferrari 348 or 355 is one thing - running them is another!!!!!

You may be able to pick these up for modest sums but its not the type of car you would have serviced at your back street garage as full Ferrari service history is a must!!! I would check this out before you part with your cash!!

I think the older Ferraris need servicing every 6K miles too IIRC!

Good luck.

VW Potato

for what its worth, my dad has years of working with/owning 60s, 70s and 80s Ferraris. But hed have an NSX over a 328GTB for instance, which says something.

Stromba, just out of interest, why do you not want a V6?

g

VW Potato

ah, sorry, I was being a donkey again - i thought Stromba meant he didnt want a V6 engine in a car, rather than a Clio V6. I wondered what it was he didnt like about V6 engines rather than what he didnt like about the Clio V6.

And as an NSX has a V6 engine, then I have been a double-donkey. Well, it happens. ;)

g

Clio 197

If you want something with decent performance for a daily runner, Porsche is the way to go. If you need a saloon, the M5 is the best.

Haha, so if i say im interested in other makes it goes in off topic. But the thread is about my Williams too so it should stay in this forum.

After building up a few more years no claims Ill either be getting an nsx or a end of line 964 c2. An rx7 would also be on the list but my housemate has just got one and in any colour but red (or faded pink like my housemates;)) they have that dirty jap thing going that I dont like. So those are my choices, ferrari wise I would love something that sounded like a 355 without the image issues, running costs and stigma. Good luck with it mate, as fun as the little clio is I also hope I wont be running one forever.

why not go round the garages in a flashy suit and get a loada nice test drives?

cant beat testing it for yourself!

come up to sheffield and say hello!

theres an amazing ferrari garage in sheffield! got one of them old classic ones in silver... absolutely mint condition!

fella i know hired a ferrari out for a wedding, and the sound alone had people weak at the knees.

after thinkin about it... bugger the Tuscan, get the 355!!!!

Volvo S60 D5

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 23 March 2004

Possibly I will soon be selling both my Williams. There are no normal cars i would be happy driving after owning a Williams. So i was thinking about replacing them with :

A Ferrari (possibly a 348; worst Ferrari ever built?) (very possibly a 355 but i want to re-invest alot of my recently aquired capital so may not have the funds for this, i assume they are 50k + in price still?)

A Lotus Elise / VX220 turbo

A Honda NSX (one of the older models, maybe around 25-30k)

Any thoughts? Im leaning towards the NSX at the moment. I DONT WANT A V6

Ok. If you have a lot of money to spend, plese, please dont get some Japanese car, even if it is damn fast. They lack style big time.

With £30-50k (?) Id say a Ferrari, its a unique ownership experience. Weve got a 328 GTS in the family, its stunning, I think one of the nicest looking cars built, but it doesnt have much of the "aggressive" looks you are after.

What do you think about the 328 (has to be the GTS model)? Get a nice one for £35k ish?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Bit to Magnum PI for me the 328. Did like the 348 was it called, the one before the 355. Trouble is these days a MR2 with a bodykit can look like a Ferrari and probably go like one so dont think a Ferrari is all that special.

IMO a Porsche is a sounder car for fun and day to day running, and still look prestige.

Although would never ask for any1s opinion on here as for that money its your motor not someone elses.

You either go for something that is fun and respectable, like an M car or Porsche or Audi S/RS or get something a bit more flamboyant and loose practicality. Lot of money for a car though. But then if you can afford that plus cost of ownership and maintenance good luck to u.

Volvo S60 D5

Dont get me wrong, I love the 355 and 348; but the 328 has a classic edge to it, its elegant, powerful (though not to the extreme) and IMO the prettiest car ever made, maybe the 355 is sexier, but its not as pretty.

The 328 is in a heated garage for most of the year, it comes out for about an average of 1,000 miles a year & for its MOT and full Ferrari service. Almost got the registration 328 GTS for it, but was beaten to the post at a DVLA auction.

Porsches dont cut it for me, Id rather have a thouroughbread Italian sports car, faults and all, over a solid German car anyday!! The looks, the sound of the Ferrari is just amazing, and *everyone* stares and points :) (not being big headed, but its a nice feeling!)

V

v6Max

Obviously depends what your expectations are of the car and what you are going to do with it but... NSX is likely to work every day without fail but as I am sure you know is shortly to be replaced.

F355 is nice but second car material really - I have a buyers guide because I was seriously looking at running one for a year but there are some specifics that will scare you for example acknowledged design fault in the manifolds means that they crack, new ones are 1300 ex vat at non Ferrari dealer and thats the part cost not the fitting cost.

Verdi Ferrari are worth talking to and they have a good selection - you can go quite a lot less than 50k especially if you can accept LHD. Opinions are divided on which is the best variant and whether you should go for the F1 paddle shift but it seems the paddle shift is only a good idea if you really, really want it and the previous owner/s looked after it (this means sitting in neutral at traffic lights etc). Another thing worth being mindfull of is that Ferraris do sound special but in the same way that Clios sound better with an aftermarket exhaust the really nice sounding Ferraris are normally running Tubis or similar.

Obviously none of this is going to help you make a decision but if it were me and I needed a car that would work everyday and would not be prohibitively expensive to run I would probably go down the Porsche 911 route (you may get into a GT3 if you are lucky).

One last thing, TVRs, personally I would not. I really, really want a Tuscan but one look at the newsgroups etc will show you that there are issues with the six cylinder engine. Also a personal experience of the clutch failing in a brand new one, in a field at Le Mans has kind of put me off for life

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by king.stromba on 24 March 2004

Sorry i thought this was a discussion forum. You make posts about cars wanted / interested in because other just may know more about them than you. I am no Ferrari expert but someone on here has already told me how much a cambelt service costs. So i am wiser. Someone told me about NSX running costs. I dont take everything i read as gospel, but it gives me ideas and opens my options. Yes in the end i will do what i want, but that does mean in the process i will ask opinions and collate information. And in my line of work i have to have a car that extols a particular image. I cant afford to turn up to a clients in a f**ked up nova. I care, if you dont, dont post.
So a P reg Renault Clio extols the correct image??

If you want image, day to day driveability with the option of a bit of a blast at weekends, I would say get a Porsche 911.... just my 2p...

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Funnily enough Ive been scouting a 348 tonight....absolutely up my street sort of car.....very 80s inside, nice clean lines out.....

Cheap now too......

Paul

ps - Lotus C? :oops:

BMW 320d Sport

Well as you dont know what i do you dont know what image im trying to extol. And my car i use at clients is a L reg clio Williams.
But you cant really ask people to give you their opinion on limited information, and then moan if they dont give you the answer you want...just seems a bit of a sulky post to me - and I dont have any hidden agenda here, Ive never been in any kind of row with you in a thread before so its just a comment.

So going on the basis that I dont know why youre selling two Williams that you seem to love so much and seem to fit the bill in whatever your line of work is, all I can suggest is what *I* would do given the sort of money that youre contemplating spending.

Im not a big fan of Ferraris from the last decade or so, they are not as rare as all that, I used to see them around Essex all the time, every week or so. I dont know what the model numbers are or anything, but surely if you want that sort of Italian supercar but you also want exclusivity and a good drive, then surely youd want to look at an older classic Ferrari that doesnt scream stock-broker at everyone, OR a Lamborghini. Any Lambo will do - because if image is what youre interested in, surely a Lambo marks you out as someone who could have bought a Ferrari but went for the left-field choice instead? Just my personal thoughts here, but even if I had the money, I would never ever want a Ferrari because I see them as posers cars. Who wants a prancing pony when they could have a raging bull?

And lastly, Ive also got to agree with Ed, for a fast, practical everyday drive with plenty of image and M5 or a Porsche will do the trick. I cant stand BMWs because of the sort or people who drive them and the way they drive (apart from one exception Geoff LOL) but I wouldnt turn my nose up at an M5, and Porsche have lost the yuppie image they used to have years ago, theyre just seen as a bloody good way of spending 50-100k on a fast quality motor.

Volvo S60 D5

I would never ever want a Ferrari because I see them as posers cars. Who wants a prancing pony when they could have a raging bull?

Me!!

although only pre-1997. The late eighties/early nineties are best!!

Lamborghinis (sp?) dont do it for me, theyre too.. aggressive.

TVR Tuscan

or

TVR Cerbera 4.5

Such a choice, but its a nice problem to have then again i would love a Shelby mustang GT 500 mmmmmm Eleanor.

Good on you Mr.Stromba for getting in that position, can we ask what you do for a living, fare enough if you dont wanna say.

Phil

VaVa

Well as you dont know what i do you dont know what image im trying to extol. And my car i use at clients is a L reg clio Williams.
Exactly. I dont have a clue. Hence the confused symbol in my post due the fact I struggled to make any connection between the image of a 10 year old Clio and Ferrari!!!