ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo/supercharge clio quick as?

Good to see some positive feedback towards turbod clios.
If you drive sensible and have fun now and then the car will last, cars only last as well as there treated.
Im planning to turbo my 182 and from what ive read on here if you drive it like a fool you will break it. If you look after it then it will last.
Power isnt everything.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
As a straight line tool and track weapon, I can imagine a 230-260bhp Clio being very handy.

As a day to day tool, an intentionally fast car eg. M3, Evo will be a much better package but with 2-3x the initial cost.

Ph1 T
I will one day own an Evo but at the minute I love the ph1 and just wanted a bit more power out of THAT car not buy a faster car to start with ect... If it breaks I fix it simple more that breaks more things I learn how to fix. Ps I don't want it to break Lol

182 Turbo
R26 meganes are pretty reliable, no reason a turbo clio cant be too, but obviously things like the box are going to fail sooner with the extra loads on them.

The one you had was all over the place because of play in the suspension and steering, TBH by the time you had finished with it (not blaming you in anyway when you use a car daily you dont notice it getting worse bit by bit) it was pretty much what I would call dangerous, but it wasnt when Jack first built it and its fine now again too, there really is very little torque steer at all.

I agree. And as I told you before I did notice it was deteriorating day by day. And to be honest I never really thrashed the grannies out of it at all, as you said to me before and I 100% agree, a 260bhp turbo clio isn't a good daily. Anyone who is going to turbo they're clio I would recommend using it as a weekend toy only, it will last a lot longer, trust me.

The money spent on a turbo clio to make it suitable for daily use and regular track thrashing is actually a lot of money, after you got your forged pistons, rods, arp bolts, suitable gearbox you may as well buy a car that's more suitable to withhold that sort of power, like an evo.

182 Turbo
I'm running standard internals just gonna see how it goes

Is your phase 1 allready turbo'd , or is this something your looking into? If you haven't done it yet, I'd Reccomend ED's low boost turbo conversion it's one of the cheapest turbo conversions you can buy, obviously unless your going to bolt it all on by yourself? ED's package runs roughly 230bhp with 200ish lbft and that's a pretty reliable package, there is longevity with that sort of power

Ph1 T
Is your phase 1 allready turbo'd , or is this something your looking into? If you haven't done it yet, I'd Reccomend ED's low boost turbo conversion it's one of the cheapest turbo conversions you can buy, obviously unless your going to bolt it all on by yourself? ED's package runs roughly 230bhp with 200ish lbft and that's a pretty reliable package, there is longevity with that sort of power

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?673522-Attemping-boosted-ph1

WRX
Don't FQ400s need sevicing every 3000 miles or something. Hardly a cheap alternative is it at what the initial outlay is as well. Then factor in if you tracked an Evo all the time, it wouldn't last either.

Ph1 T
Yeah think they need servicing quite often can't remember the number off top of my head. Mates was just a standard 6 that's had abit spent and now running just over 400 hardly ever uses it but seems to be fixing bits when he does use it often :/ I love them though will defo own one

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Horses for courses though. unless your stupid with not alot of spare cash then you wouldnt buy one. Do your homework, have money to burn and enjoy. It comes down to common sense really

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
From memory every 4500 miles well the diff change anyway. Superb cars, really are and if my priorites, house, g/f were different i would have another.

182 Turbo
Don't FQ400s need sevicing every 3000 miles or something. Hardly a cheap alternative is it at what the initial outlay is as well. Then factor in if you tracked an Evo all the time, it wouldn't last either.

Yeah they need servicing every 3,500mls , and so would a 270ish bhp clio. I wouldn't like to run a clio more than 5k without even changing the oil, and no one said an evo is a cheap alternative. And an evo will last longer than a clio on track , better engine better box everything, that's not me saying they are super reliable. But more reliable than a clio will be that's for sure. A decent spec clio is around 3k then you gotta turbo it which is another 3-4k maybe 2k in parts of your gunna do it yourself and you think your time is worthless, then forging it is another 1k-1.5k a diff etc it all adds up to alot of money. You can get a decent evo 5 , 6 , 7 or 8 for sub£7-8k now. So in a way it is a cheaper alternative, failing that an equal alternative.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Lol. You babble on about evo this and evo that and you dont even know when the service interval is.

182 Turbo
Well done max ego points for correcting me,3,500 to 4,500 I suppose your one of the heroes who corrects grammar too.

book states 4,500mls or 6 months, whichever comes first. However if you go over to evo forums you'll see a lot of evo owners do them more regularly than that as oil often gets dense and they start losing fluids before that mark.
Not that I really give a s**t about evo service intervals, I was explaining how a turbo clio will be similar anyway, people on here obviously think nothing ever changes when you add 150bhp through forced induction. Same reliability and services every 12k miles, genius.

182 Turbo
Oh I'm sorry am I still going on about Evo's? I forgot this was a clio forum how silly, Clios are the best cars in the world OP, don't make threads asking what they compare too please, we're not aloud to talk about other cars.

big boost cup
well I bought it with 330hp then it went on some other of rollers and they ranged from 295/321/331 so its around there lol. the 12.2 was at 112.64

When mine was at stage 1 at 260bhp It was a very cable car & was quicker than a lot of more expensive cars, a lot of my friends have very good cars to have some fun with,

Evo FQ340, 330bhp Scooby sti (04 reg) Mk2 focus Rs, 260bhp Mk1 focus Rs, ihi'd Leon Cupra r, Audi S4 V8, 340bhp Astra gsi, & loads of other things focus st's, Megane 225's. Against the Evo & scooby it really shocked me how much quicker the Clio really was.

At croft mine was the quickest 0-60 FWD of the day at 5.2secs there was a 400bhp mk2 focus Rs that couldn't get near the time & he had spent a fortune on the car & tuning it, I know somebody will say yeah but I'd rather have a focus rs, but I don't I absolutely love my little ph1 for what it is.

The extra power didn't spoil the handling either it was still just as good, I can imagine now with 320bhp it will be a different matter. And as for using them everyday mine at 260bhp was my everyday car & it was fine, great on fuel & reliable. it's now my 2nd car/toy due to me getting a 197 not because It's not reliable.

Last edited:
  WRX
Aydon, I think the biggest idiot would be the one that says Evos are rubbish. I don't think anyone's disputing they are a brilliant car but we are on a Clio forum and nobody is really arguing with you. Yet you seem to be getting the hump because people are defending Clios as a good track car, even standard they need maintaining if you track them. Mine is standard enginewise but it's still cost me more than it would have done if I only used it on the road.

MCS R56
These must eat the front tyres in no time and must be pretty s**t in the wet. Still whatever floats your boat.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh I'm sorry am I still going on about Evo's? I forgot this was a clio forum how silly, Clios are the best cars in the world OP, don't make threads asking what they compare too please, we're not aloud to talk about other cars.

Why are you trying to argue with everyone?

Dan has asked what his car can be compared against and all your doing is causing trouble. Im pretty sure everyone would be alot happier if you fucked off with your b****cks because i dont want to read it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Aydon, out of interest can you tell us the actual parts on a turbo clio that need maintaining or changing more often than on an Evo?

You seem to think a turbo clio requires more maintenance, but having had a lot to do with various people who have owned both I just dont actually identify with that remark at all TBH.

I would say that of the two the evo has more to go wrong, AYC control, rear diff, transfer box etc?

182 Turbo
Aydon, I think the biggest idiot would be the one that says Evos are rubbish. I don't think anyone's disputing they are a brilliant car but we are on a Clio forum and nobody is really arguing with you. Yet you seem to be getting the hump because people are defending Clios as a good track car, even standard they need maintaining if you track them. Mine is standard enginewise but it's still cost me more than it would have done if I only used it on the road.

I agree. And I'm not getting the hump at all. And I know Clios are good track cars, they are great cars, that's why I've bought three myself. I just didn't agree about the evo 6 at 400bhp a clio running circa 260bhp comment, it's car banter, not an argument as such, people are just so defensive on this forum they think if you disagree with them about the slightest thing it's a personal argument aimed at them, it's car banter! I love it.

Obviously insecure people will be hurt like Liam, but all I can say is if you don't like car banter, and differing about car oppinions, you don't need to click threads like this, go to a Barbie forum.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont think people would mind if you actually had some technical substance to what you are saying, rather than just repeating endlessly that an evo is better, without actually quantifying what you mean in detail.

Are you thinking that you are telling us something we dont already know if you point out its 4wd for example? As TBH other than that I cant think of any massive advantage it has when building a moderately quick trackday car over a turbo clio TBH.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I dont think people would mind if you actually had some technical substance to what you are saying, rather than just repeating endlessly that an evo is better, without actually quantifying what you mean in detail.

Are you thinking that you are telling us something we dont already know if you point out its 4wd for example? As TBH other than that I cant think of any massive advantage it has when building a moderately quick trackday car over a turbo clio TBH.

Agreed.

182 Turbo
Aydon, out of interest can you tell us the actual parts on a turbo clio that need maintaining or changing more often than on an Evo?

You seem to think a turbo clio requires more maintenance, but having had a lot to do with various people who have owned both I just dont actually identify with that remark at all TBH.

I would say that of the two the evo has more to go wrong, AYC control, rear diff, transfer box etc?

I don't think a turbo clio needs more maintenance, I think they require the same. For instance people saying Evo's need servicing every 4,500* miles , when clio's will need roughly the same. Your right there is more things to go wrong on an evo, it's a more equipped car. But the thing is its designed to be turbo, what I mean by that is on a turbo clio, yours for example you got a boiling hot turbo sat right next to your brake lines, and if you run epic amounts of power that nimbus heat guard won't be able to hold back all the heat, like T.Trophy or example he fried his brake lines the same way, then you got your power steering pump sat right above your turbo which is going discusting from heat, long dragged out sessions is going to make your power steering bottle melt as I did with me. Not to mention your whole setup has about a fag papers room between the bulk head so you need to keep an eye on your engine mounts and recognise it as soon as there is play. I often see Evo's reach over 100k miles but never ever seen a turbo clio go that long, they do 10-20thousand miles is the most I've ever seen, but hey it's all oppinions.

53 Clio's & counting
In a straighine mine doesn't wheelspin at all unless you are silly with the throttle in 1st.
it just grips and goes and does so with no real drama or pulling about. It's surprisingly civilised.

aydon will think I'm telling lies because when he had it that wasn't the case. But since the suspension and steering changes I've made it's totally different (mainly due to the rack bushes but the coilovers etc have helped too)

30-100 mine is about same pace as a Ferrari 355.

Lol yours was AWESOME on the worn rack bushes

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I don't think a turbo clio needs more maintenance, I think they require the same. For instance people saying Evo's need servicing every 4,500* miles , when clio's will need roughly the same. Your right there is more things to go wrong on an evo, it's a more equipped car. But the thing is its designed to be turbo, what I mean by that is on a turbo clio, yours for example you got a boiling hot turbo sat right next to your brake lines, and if you run epic amounts of power that nimbus heat guard won't be able to hold back all the heat, like T.Trophy or example he fried his brake lines the same way, then you got your power steering pump sat right above your turbo which is going discusting from heat, long dragged out sessions is going to make your power steering bottle melt as I did with me. Not to mention your whole setup has about a fag papers room between the bulk head so you need to keep an eye on your engine mounts and recognise it as soon as there is play. I often see Evo's reach over 100k miles but never ever seen a turbo clio go that long, they do 10-20thousand miles is the most I've ever seen, but hey it's all oppinions.

Power steering pump on mine is at the front, as per every other clio I have ever seen even the older williams one, I dont think it would be possible to get it further from the turbo unless I actually removed it and put it in the boot instead, so not sure what you mean about that?