ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo 172

I've been a bit slack with updates, that said, there hasn't been much done :D

The first thing I got sorted was the air filter:
filter2.jpg

filter1.jpg

I used:
pipercross filter 100mm dia 200mm long 70mm inlet
samco 90deg 70mm
70mm aluminium tube
16mm revotec barb
16mm samco flex hose

A little bit of trim got the filter sat where I wanted it, I then fitted the 16mm barb into the elbow and ran the hose to the ISCV. Job done.

I'm thinking of bonding the filter to the aluminium pipe to the 90 with tigerseal to get rid of 2 of the jubilee clips as they look a bit messy.

I'd also like to swap the blue hose from the FPR to the plenum with either an original part, or some black silicon. Drop my a line if you have anything lying around :)

On Friday I decided to fill up with fuel to get an idea on fuel consumption. unfortunately during this fuel started pouring out of the top of the tank, so I popped home to investigate. It was easily found, some fool (that'll be me) hadn't seated the seal in the fuel collector correctly before screwing it down (whilst fitting the 172 fuel pump early in the project). Easy fix.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice work, although would the filter be better off a little further towards the front of the car? It'd be closer to where cool air would be entering, and further away from that hot plenum?

Nice work, although would the filter be better off a little further towards the front of the car? It'd be closer to where cool air would be entering, and further away from that hot plenum?

I don't think cool air has any interest in finding it's way under my bonnet :dapprove:

The only possibility would be to run a pipe across the front of the engine and collect air under the RH headlight. I'm not sure how much I'd gain after running all that piping inside the engine bay, it'd probably just stop the engine from cooling...

My completion target was La Vie en Bleu at Prescott last Sunday. I'd hoped to complete a few jobs and checks on Saturday, as it turned out it was a bit wet, so I just did the minimum of sorting out the fuel tank seal and running a damp sponge over the outside.

I'd arranged a spot on the Renault Alpine Owner's Club stand, and dumped it there on the Sunday morning. It languised there for a couple of hours largely unnoticed amongst it's sporty brethren. A friend of mine came along at around midday, and I popped the bonnet to let him have a look:

Courseyoucantouchher.jpg

The game was up, and I soon had a few heads peering in...

Anyway, I dropped the bonnet, and left it once again in anonimity.

We got to do a convoy run, and I hoped my G/F might make a video of it, unfortunatley she lost concentration once I hit the throttle, so that was that. If you have a search on youtube for 'Patrese Wife' you'll get the idea, although she had time to relax as there was a lot of traffic. She's going to love Mallory :D

I've not done a lot since Prescott.

Swapped the bent Williams driveshaft for a straight one.

Used my first full tank of fuel, averaged ~38mpg, which was nice :)

I've got an annoying screeching noise on the passenger side over 5Krpm, only does it when the GF is in the car, no idea what it is :quiet:

Other than that I have a little bit of touching at the rear on big bumps, so I'll need to investigate that.

I've booked in at pro-speed at the end of the month for an exhaust.

andy this is epic, will have to give me a pass ride at mallory, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee....................... :D

I'll think about it..

It's gonna feel slow at Mallory, too much open space, just like on dual carriageways. On tight bumpy B roads it's a giggle, but the stupid torque curve makes it hard to drive, esp with no rev counter - I'll get the hang of it :D

Just need to decide what diff ratio to use with the Gripper :eek:

it's only a little thing, but the blue samco pipe from the FPR to the plenum really offended me
blue.jpg

Thanks to TrixNFlix on RTOC popping some black pipe in the post I'm much more at peace.
black.jpg

:cool:

I've bought some more fancy toys, but you'll have to wait for them to be fitted before you hear about them :D

Off to get the exhaust made at Prospeed on Monday, it'll be interesting to see what difference that makes, as sticking 3x design horsepower through the standard Twingo exhaust can't be good :dead:

Qashcow
ive just read all 12 pages of this, epic read and and epic car. wish i had the know-how on doing something like this, one day i'll get stuck into an engine conversion myself

I was down at ProSpeed in Cardiff on Monday morning to get my exhaust made up. My requirement was to make it look and sound as standard as possible, Charlie recommended 2 boxes and 2" pipe, so that's what I went with. I'm not sure how long it'll take the guys at ProSpeed to get over seeing a 2L engine shoehorned into a Twingo, but I'm sure they're making good progress :D.

Anyway, so far I'm very happy, no knocks, or bangs, it's as quiet as I'd hoped, and looks pretty much standard.

Anyway, a couple of pics:
before
exhaustold.jpg

after:
exhaustnew.jpg

you'll note that the number plates got replaced between pictures :cool:

oh, I almost forgot, when we got to look underneath at the standard system the rear box had ballooned, I guess it must have been pretty restrictive :)

Last edited:
I guess it's time for an update... I've been listening to the standard top mounts knocking, so decided I'd try some roller top mounts. I don't know of any for the twingo, so got a pair of AST Clio mounts. I wasn't certain that they'd fit, but I have a lathe, so it's no bother to modify stuff if it's close.

Last night I pulled a strut off, and checked that the mount fitted the car. Perfect fit, so nothing to do there. When it came to fitting them to the dampers it was clear that I'd need to do a bit of work. I spent about an hour measuring everything and deciding which bits to modify.

In the end I decided to bore out the H+R top seat to fit the AST bearing, then shorten the AST bearing seat, and bore it out to sit right on the damper top.

before:
struttop5.jpg

standard and machined parts:
struttop4.jpg

after:
struttop6.jpg

boring out the H+R spring seat
struttop7.jpg

all assembled:
struttop8.jpg

when it came to bolting it together the top nuts only had a couple of turns of thread engaged, I decided to modify the nut to sit deeper in the bearing.

standard nut:
nut.jpg

I dropped them into the lathe and cut the shoulder deeper into the nut, and recut the taper to ensure it didn't clash with the bearing housing:
struttop9.jpg

fitted, showing much better thread engagement
struttop10.jpg

I've not driven it yet, so fingers crossed for an improvement :D

Awesome work, Bet you've shocked some people of the lights lol

we don't have much in the way of lights around here, but yes, it is a car for deflating egos.

As to the lathe, get one if you can, but be aware that the lathe is the cheap bit, the fixtures, tools, and measuring kit is what costs the money. It is very handy though and really opens up the kind of things you can do at home, even if it's just making a drift with a shoulder so that you can smack something with a hammer :D