ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrade existing P.C or build new?

340i
then as I said, stick with the 8500gt to be honest then, stick win 7 in and your sorted. thats all off overclockers by the way, a fair bit is on their this week only deals. Monitor looks like a bit of a bargain to me.

The 8500gt only has 2 VGA outputs though, I want something with DVI / DP to run a decent monitor.

FF Clio 182
Building your own is good if you on a tight budget, means you slowly upgrade parts as they get outdated. If you planning on spending £600 you might as well either build new or buy one.

BMW M135i
Why the hell are people fvcking around adding a graphics card for a internet/office PC? There is nothing wrong with the on-die intel hd graphics for this purpose.

And pay for Windows 7, really? Gray, we need to talk ;).

340i
Why the hell are people fvcking around adding a graphics card for a internet/office PC? There is nothing wrong with the on-die intel hd graphics for this purpose.

And pay for Windows 7, really? Gray, we need to talk ;).

I use onboard graphics for my work machine just fine, output to a HP LA2405x.... 1920x1200 res!

I was going to bite the bullet with a legit copy of Win7 as its for the Family and they seem to break anything! They messed up the last machine I built with a hooky version of Vista.

But don't hesitate to drop me a PM ;)

340i
After a chat with them Family last night I think spending a little on the current machine will be good enough for there requirements... 60gb SSD, GPU with DVI / DP output, new display and win7 is all they really need!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
After a chat with them Family last night I think spending a little on the current machine will be good enough for there requirements... 60gb SSD, GPU with DVI / DP output, new display and win7 is all they really need!

Good decision!

No point wasting money if its not needed.

Clio 182, BMW 645

I'm not convinced you will notice much by adding RAM and SSD to that CPU. And if it is just for general stuff why do you need any sort of GPU other than OnBoard/Low Spec?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
I'm not convinced you will notice much by adding RAM and SSD to that CPU. And if it is just for general stuff why do you need any sort of GPU other than OnBoard/Low Spec?

The SSD will make a major difference on a machine like that.

340i

???

The machine already has 4Gb of RAM, don't think I mentioned adding anymore? Of course the SSD will make a difference to performance, it will vastly improve any machine over a conventional HDD.

The current GPU (Nvidia 8500GT) only has 2 x VGA outputs going to a crappy low res 15" LCD... They want a decent 20-22" display, ideally something that runs a DVI or DP connection, which it doesn't have currently.

182 Cup
???

The machine already has 4Gb of RAM, don't think I mentioned adding anymore? Of course the SSD will make a difference to performance, it will vastly improve any machine over a conventional HDD.

The current GPU (Nvidia 8500GT) only has 2 x VGA outputs going to a crappy low res 15" LCD... They want a decent 20-22" display, ideally something that runs a DVI or DP connection, which it doesn't have currently.

that monitor and gfx card posted earlier in the thread will be a perfect combo then. you'll end up spending under £300 instead now :)

Be aware of the sata version on your current board. The ssd may not run as fast as you want. However sata 3 controller pci boards are only £20

Sata 2 is fine for an SSD. Don't waste your money on a controller card imo.

I run sata 2, you still get 260MB/s read/write, which is plenty more than a HDD.

And the main thing about SSD's are the seek times anyway.

340i
Be aware of the sata version on your current board. The ssd may not run as fast as you want. However sata 3 controller pci boards are only £20

Sata 2 is fine for an SSD. Don't waste your money on a controller card imo.

I run sata 2, you still get 260MB/s read/write, which is plenty more than a HDD.

And the main thing about SSD's are the seek times anyway.

That did cross my mind, Thomas... as my board runs SATA II and most SSD's are SATA III but they still offer a substantial improvement over HDD.

340i
Just put this together for upgrading the current machine:

MO-182-SA_60.jpg
Samsung S24B300HL 23.6" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black£119.99
(£99.99)
£119.99
(£99.99)
SW-127-MS_60.jpg
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-02050)£79.99
(£66.66)
£79.99
(£66.66)
HD-026-IN_60.jpg
Intel 330 Series 60GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - Retail £59.99
(£49.99)
£59.99
(£49.99)
GX-149-MS_60.jpg
MSI HD 5450 1024MB GDDR5 Low Profile PCI-Express Graphics Card£23.99
(£19.99)
£23.99
(£19.99)
Sub Total : £236.63
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
DPD Next Day Parcel
(This can be changed during checkout)
Shipping : £10.00
VAT is being charged at 20.00%VAT : £49.33
Total : £295.96

340i
I've got some Nvidia Quadro 4000's sat on my desk at work, but they are for some 3D CAD workstations :(

340i
Ordered the parts today... I'll post up a few pics I upgrade :)

also got my eye on 8GB of DDR2 800mhz memory local to me, on eBay.... Totally pointless but if it stays cheap I'll buy it.

340i
DOH!!!

Made a rookie error... Went to check the machine today and the PSU is the old style 4 pin molex:

ehy7u4ez.jpg

The new HDD and SSD run on SATA connections!

340i
Get some adapters, easy!

But tbh, for the sake of £40, I'd be upgrading the PSU - both for longevity and safety - PSU's that old have a habbit of going bye bye.

Just what I was thinking....

I'll order a new one, I assume all the mainboard / fan connections will be the same (I am being lazy, will have a look when I am home later)

It's running a 400watt currently iirc, no point in going for a higher powered unit is there?