ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

upgrade existing P.C or build new?

340i
All done.

cannot believe how quick the machine is now... It boots up in 12 seconds to the login screen, shutdown time is also super quick!

just need to get a HDMI cable to finish it off :)

Evo 5 RS
Lol everyone's at it now, sending sweets I mean. We pack them in too. Although the other week one of the girls said we had a complaint from someone saying we should check our processing and packaging as a bag has slipped into their box lol. Stupid old f*ck.

340i
Lol everyone's at it now, sending sweets I mean. We pack them in too. Although the other week one of the girls said we had a complaint from someone saying we should check our processing and packaging as a bag has slipped into their box lol. Stupid old f*ck.

FLOL, idiots.

Is it super fast now? fed up with my PC grumbling at me when selecting a song in iTunes and being generally slow to start up, leave it in sleep mode!

Thinking of a fresh install and changing to a SSD as the main hard drive, worth it?

PCU: Intel® Core™i5-760 Quad Core (2.80GHz, 8MB Cache) + Turbo Boost
GPU: 1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 470 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
Mobo: ASUS® P7P55D-E PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0, CrossFireX™ / SLI
RAM: 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X T1 DUAL-DDR3 2000MHz, X.M.P (2 x 2GB KIT)

HD1: 640GB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD6400AARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
HD2: 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE

340i
Is it super fast now? fed up with my PC grumbling at me when selecting a song in iTunes and being generally slow to start up, leave it in sleep mode!

Thinking of a fresh install and changing to a SSD as the main hard drive, worth it?

You would see a vast improvement on boot up / shutdown and read / write times with an SSD. Well worth the money IMO.

Evo 5 RS
Mate just spent 1,500 on a new system to whip together, quite a tidy little number.

i7 3770k 3.5ghz
Corsair H100 cooler
16GBRAM Corsair Vengeance
Geforce 660 EVGA Superclocked
Samsung 840 SSD 240GB x2 RAID0
2TB WD HDD
850W Corsair PSU
Corsair Vengeance midi tower
2TB

F82 M4
Exactly, seams quite expensive to me? I've priced a similar spec up for my mate coming in at around £1200. He should definitely drop the 660 for a 7950, and does he really need an i7? And what motherboard has he gone for?

Evo 5 RS
So basically it's not a rip off, you've just built a slower system lol. What ya like! Why wouldn't you want an i7?! :) 660 Super clocked is a much nicer card. Not sure on the board, it's a W8 Asus of some sorts. I'm not familiar with 1155 socket boards and peasant chipsets ;)

F82 M4
So basically it's not a rip off, you've just built a slower system lol. What ya like! Why wouldn't you want an i7?! :) 660 Super clocked is a much nicer card.

Haha sorry mate, I haven't really worded what I want to put very well! :p

Still feel it's quite expensive, my similar build isn't any slower than that system. The main difference is having an i5 instead of the i7, who needs Hyperthreading anyway? Doesn't have a H100 either but has a better graphics card than the 660. The 7950 is definitely better than a 660, he should at least look at the 660Ti.

Not sure on the board, it's a W8 Asus of some sorts. I'm not familiar with 1155 socket boards and peasant chipsets ;)

Hahaha! High roller!! :cool:

I'm just looking out for your mate and don't want to see him throw his money away! ;)

F82 M4
Well it's only an extra £60 to go to the i7 mate, still much cheaper :) He really should consider a better card than the 660 if he's looking to spend £1500 on a system. :cool:

340i
Even though I have no need for it, I've got the urge to build a decent spec machine for myself... I've got the bug :eek:

Evo 5 RS
It's the same with everything, do you really need a 300bhp Megane ;)? Do I really need a high comp 172? Or two 680 Classifieds? lol not fckin' really!

Although the Mrs is finally putting her foot down lol, she wants me to sell the Clio already

340i
It's the same with everything, do you really need a 300bhp Megane ;)? Do I really need a high comp 172? Or two 680 Classifieds? lol not fckin' really!

Although the Mrs is finally putting her foot down lol, she wants me to sell the Clio already

exactly!

booo... Woman, know your place ;)

Soooooo.... I may have just won a Cooler Master HAF 932 on eBay, picking it up tomorrow :)

182 Cup
exactly!

booo... Woman, know your place ;)

Soooooo.... I may have just won a Cooler Master HAF 932 on eBay, picking it up tomorrow :)

Haha. Nice cases them. My PC is getting old now. It'll have to wait a while now though.

Still plays Far Cry 3 on high settings though! Needs a reformat though :(

Nothing like starting with a fresh install of windows on an SSD though.

I wish i could have convinced my family to start using an imac the last time they upgraded. Would have saved me the headache of configuring a ton of crappy software to work the way it did on their old pc.

*Edit: I have Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Hitman: Absolution for sale by the way :approve:*

You would see a vast improvement on boot up / shutdown and read / write times with an SSD. Well worth the money IMO.

SSD ordered, why did I open this thread...! now to work out why I have 127GB on my main hard drive and how that'll fit on a 60GB SSD :eek: oh well fresh install ftw.

F82 M4
Nothing like starting with a fresh install of windows on an SSD though.

I wish i could have convinced my family to start using an imac the last time they upgraded. Would have saved me the headache of configuring a ton of crappy software to work the way it did on their old pc.

*Edit: I have Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Hitman: Absolution for sale by the way :approve:*

How much for Far Cry mate?

340i
SSD made a massive difference to my PC. @Gray did you get the RAM on ebay?

Nah I didn't win it, went for more than I wanted to spend.... The stuff I have fitted seems quick enough though :)

I've picked up the new case, it's frickin HUUUUGE!!!

09Accord 2.4 3.0i Z4
I like that case, that's why I decided to get the Haf X for my build.

SAM_0600.jpg

Ordered an Intel 330 60gb SSD Friday, OCUK had a deal on and it was a nice price I couldn't resist, should be there when I get home from work.

Specs

CM Haf X
Intel i7 3770k @4.40Ghz
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7
MSI Z77 Mpower Big Bang
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8gb (2x 4GB) 1600Mhz
Asus 6850 1GB (Stolen from my old machine)
XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular 80+ Silver PSU
Intel 330 60gb SSD (When I get home)

Bought one of them Scythe Gentle Typhoon 5400RPM Fans, so bought a Bitfenix Recon Fan Controller just to find out you can't actually control the speed of them.

Awesome fan, shifts a crap ton of air, hopefully a bit of modification to the cable i'll be able to adjust the speed, really want to use them.

Last edited:
Wouldn't bother with 2400mhz, you can pick up 1600mhz for £25, and in real world apps you won't see any difference (even benchmarking you won't see much).

Thanks, so in that case I might as well just add another 4GB+ in the two spare slots, save some cash and not worry about matching the MHz.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I want the best machine possible for around £800, minus a monitor/keyboard/mouse/sound system.

Could some clever bod help me out and spec one please from barebone. Gaming machine, SSD, i5 or i7, awesome graphics card etc. etc.

I want the best machine possible for around £800, minus a monitor/keyboard/mouse/sound system.

Could some clever bod help me out and spec one please from barebone. Gaming machine, SSD, i5 or i7, awesome graphics card etc. etc.

Something like this:

YOUR BASKET
1 x Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card £199.99
1 x Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail £179.99
1 x Plextor M5 Pro 128GB Extreme Series Solid State Drive - (PX-128M5P) £99.95
1 x Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard £79.99
1 x Corsair Carbide 300R Mid Tower Case - Black £64.99
1 x GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (GD316GB1600C11DC) **OcUK Exclusive** £59.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003) HDD £59.99
1 x XFX Pro 550W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £49.99
1 x Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2) £29.99
Total : £839.87 (includes shipping : £12.50).

Near enough.

Generally if you want a good specced build - Overclockers.co.uk forums - General Discussion -> Search for "£800" - there's hundreds of "Spec me threads", all usually very good.