ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Viewed a 172 today - few Q's...

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I viewed a 172 Phase 1 earlier. 50k miles, cam belt already changed at 40k.

The guy is looking to downgrade, so I was going to give him my standard and great condition 106 Gti (56k) plus some cash.

His car was generally quite nice but there were some things that bothered me:

• Whooring drone from the rear. He said it was a wheel bearing but in the history it looked like the bearing had already been replaced recently, so could it be something worse?
  • Clutch was jolty and crap. Stalled it a few times at first.
  • Gear shift seemed ok but a little stiff.
  • At dual carriage way speed the rear felt a little soft.
  • Accelator pedal very stiff. Felt like the cable is rubbing

Any thoughts on these problems and potential costs?

Yaris Hybrid
Hard to say, might be worth getting a professional inspection if you are serious about the car?

These cars are notorious for falling to bits and becoming a money pit once they reach a certain age so getting it properly looked at could save a fortune.

I see your in Bournemouth, was the car local? You may be able to persuade fubar to go and look at it with you as he has a ph1 172 and know what they should drive like, and he's in Bournemouth.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I see your in Bournemouth, was the car local? You may be able to persuade fubar to go and look at it with you as he has a ph1 172 and know what they should drive like, and he's in Bournemouth.

Thanks

He was in Bristol, so we met half-way.

To be honest it didn't drive as nicely as my 106 :boring:

172beast

Wheel bearings are tosh on em, don't last long at all, my old un had all 4 done at around 35k, gearbox is w**k same as any Renault, stiff unprecise and it'll explode randomly in my experience, dampers are also weak and my old un needed the rears doing at around 40k, this is prob why the rear feels soft.

Personally I'd look elsewhere, 172's are no quicker to 60 then a decent GTi and I personally reckon the 106 handles better, rather have the Pug mesen... but then again I'm biased as I'm a Pug man, GTi-6.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
A decent 172 will be a bit quicker and a bit nicer though, and if I got a good PX deal would be worthwhile.

I've had 106s for years now and fancy a change. Apart from the 172 I can't think of anything else.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
go and view a few others, see how they compare, no rush in buying one. if you feel dubious walk away

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
106 gti is a faster car...

This forum is so anti Clio :rasp:

How much is a clutch change?

Is a sticky throttle cable just a broken cable of something more?

Is there anything at the back that breaks apart from dampers and bearings?

:D:D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I viewed a 172 Phase 1 earlier. 50k miles, cam belt already changed at 40k.

The guy is looking to downgrade, so I was going to give him my standard and great condition 106 Gti (56k) plus some cash.

His car was generally quite nice but there were some things that bothered me:
  • Whooring drone from the rear. He said it was a wheel bearing but in the history it looked like the bearing had already been replaced recently, so could it be something worse?
  • Clutch was jolty and crap. Stalled it a few times at first.
  • Gear shift seemed ok but a little stiff.
  • At dual carriage way speed the rear felt a little soft.
  • Accelator pedal very stiff. Felt like the cable is rubbing

Any thoughts on these problems and potential costs?

1. Might be the other wheel bearing ;) . Mine have been fine, had the discs and bearings replaced @45 thou, but i'm on 68k now and these are ok
2. Clutches are stiff lol, took a good month to get used to mine, very off/on
3. Gear shift may be improved with a gearbox oil change imo, mine is ok
4. Might be worth checking or replacing the rear shocks as they are prone to failure (nice time for an upgrade?)
5. Not sure in that, mine has fly by wire, but a new acclerator cable wont break the bank lol

try a few more, you'll get more of a feel lol

and as for the gearbox randomly exploding comment above.... lol..... i'm sure you have/had more on the vts pug variants, my mate blew 3 in his saxo.....

darren, it sounds like the car needs new shocks, and a new throttle cable. The cables rust inside the outer and become sticky/stiff. Only a few quid so not too bad.

If you had mentioned it sooner, ive been off all week so you could have come and had a play in mine so you have an idea of what they should feel like! any questions mate, just ask... if im free some time (i doubt it, promotion next week) we can meet up:)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Wheel bearings are tosh on em, don't last long at all, my old un had all 4 done at around 35k, gearbox is w**k same as any Renault, stiff unprecise and it'll explode randomly in my experience, dampers are also weak and my old un needed the rears doing at around 40k, this is prob why the rear feels soft.

Personally I'd look elsewhere, 172's are no quicker to 60 then a decent GTi and I personally reckon the 106 handles better, rather have the Pug mesen... but then again I'm biased as I'm a Pug man, GTi-6.

yeh iv seen your website and agree that your 172 wasnt a good un. also your 172 speedo did look slow....good websit tho.theres been a few speedo vids on here for a standard mk1 172. i looked into the 306gti-6 as i loved my saxo, but the 172 was a animal compare to it imho. the 6 sounded lovely tho.

A Beautiful R32
106 gti is a faster car...

Er, clearly its not...

Darren, if you're going down the 172 road, you're probably better getting one from a dealer so at least you can get a years warranty and some comeback if it all goes wrong...

The pure fact that you posted these questions suggests to me that you aren't convinced by this 172. If you've waited this long matey then surely you can wait to find a nicer example.

Not got a car
lol @ 106 gti is a faster car...

yeah right, Funniest thing i've heard all week.

As said above wait and a good one will come up. I waited ages to get one, All that i looked at were sheds then i found a 03 plate with 9k on the clock, Garaged, never took out in the wet for 7k. was really chuffed.

Just take your time.

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
Thanks for all the feedback.

At the moment I'm only looking at the bottom prices in the market.

If they're all rubbish I may have to leave it for now and wait until I can get a newer one.

It's suprising though, as my 106s have all been 10yrs old and felt great...

He only wanted 700 plus my car though - could be worth the risk :s

Turbos.
I think at that mileage you have to start worrying about the dampers. Did you check them for leaks as the rears do tend to go? As mentioned, wheel bearing failure is very common.

There are plenty around, drive a few i'd say.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
wont be much to sort imo, wack a new set of ebaich pro lines (£140)+ dampers (£200) on to sharpen up the handling, new rear wheel bearing £30 ish..... plus fitting (they are part of the rear disk, so will need pressing out)

job done?

At 50k miles you're gonna want a folder full of service history, receipts, invoices etc.

Mine's on 58k, and has had everything done to it. Dampers, cambelt, aux belt, mounts, bearings, discs... the lot. I've got a folder bulging with its past history!

i was thinking of selling up soon darren, i'll decide within the next month or so...

cup 182 mit stripes
If it has'nt been abused/neglected, why is clutch ''jolty and crap'' and gear shift ''stiff'' 50k is hardly Starship mileage.

172 Ph2
Darren, every car I've owned, even new ones, have had problems and minor issues! My 182 had a juddery clutch and that had done 4800 miles when I bought it! I know that you want to be wary but your buying at the bottom of the market and you can't expect miricles! Throttle cable, wheel bearing! not a big deal! It's a different car and the clutch is a fair bit different in action to the 106. My missus stalled my 182 and 172 about 3 times in the first 10 meters when we swapped from the 106's! Maybe you just drive like a girl!!!

BTW, '106 GTI is about as quick as 172'???? Oh you have to laugh!

lol.

"My clio is so fast, my clio is precious! A little 106 couldnt possibly keep up with me, ive got a sport badge dont you know"

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn!

Not got a car
Weight950 kg
0-60 mph8.4 s
Power Output120 bhp

Vs

Weight1021 kg
0-60 mph6.7 s
Power Output172 bhp

i know what i would have, 106's Good car in the days. But anyone thinking it will give a clio a head ache must be in their own little world.

lol, a headache

How about can get away from me? Id say that was more than a headache tbh!

But I dont know why im even bothering to correct you. Obviously your clio is much faster than my car, obviously im wrong and obviously the Clios that come up against have been slow ones, not trying, cold or not run in!

:roll:

Impreza P1
Another Clio sport lovers tiff mines faster than yours blah blah blahm obviously the 106GTI's I've rinsed have been slow ones or cold or not run in.

Not got a car
My VTS was s**t slower than what i have now, So unless the TU5JP4 engine has been giving a nice pair of cams, headwork, map and basic breathing mods, It wont touch a 172.

ST
106gti's and saxo VTS' are very capable cars in the right hands and can stay on the bumper of a 172/182 with not much problem at all!!

172 Ph2
Come on guys, Darren is just asking for buying advice not stories of how fast people's cars are! There are more merits to owning a 172 than just outright pace. I've owned 2 RS clio's now and have also owned 2 106 Rallye's and driven a fair few GTI's over the years. All are great fun cars to drive reguardless of outright speed. The 172 is a much more modern car though. It's better built, easier to live with, gives similar, if not better fuel economy, is better on the motorway and is, no matter what ppl say, a bit faster a-b. The 106 is pretty cheap to run and maintain though. Things have moved on a fair bit since the 106 was made and although it's a lot of fun I think the 172 is hands down a better car. You've just got to make sure that you don't give too much money in the guy's direction. It's worth getting an AA warrenty too. It covers almost everything and is only £62 a year. This way at least you know you're covered if the worst happens! I don't like the sound of the 'stiff' gear box though! All rs I've driven have been sweet as a nut!

Clio 172 mk2
Clutch is very snatchy/on-off in the 172.....takes a while of getting used to.

Droning definately sounds like wheel bearing