ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do we make of this? Cat C

Trader Rating - 91.4%
31   3   1
  Breaking A 172 Replica
Hello mates,

Sold my car yesterday and I am now after a new one.

Saw this on the Bay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-RENAULT-...87QQihZ017QQcategoryZ9861QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do we reckon?

It is Cat C (had a bump to rear arch I am told) and it has 38000 miles on the clock.

No service history, tax until april and MOT until October.

I would only have it until September and I would plan to break it and take it back to standard.

How much could I sell the 172 bits off it for (e.g. turinis, bumpers, side skirts?)

Thanks

Sam

Trader Rating - 100%
20   0   0
  BMW 330D
The number plate isnt on straight for starters.
You need to go and look at the quality of ther repairs to see if they are acceptable.

Trader Rating - 91.4%
31   3   1
  Breaking A 172 Replica
What is the difference between Cat C and Cat D?

I know Cat C needs a VIC check and it is perceived to mean it had a bigger bump but how do the insurance companies decide?

Thanks

Sam

Trader Rating - 91.7%
11   1   0
  RB 182 Cup
cat d is like minor damage, which means its a easy repaire and dont need to take it to some place to get it checked, cat c is worse i.e chassis damage and is repaireable but you have to take it to some test check place to see if its road worthy and been repaired to a decent standard. Correct me if im wrong please :)

alex

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
lol.

If an insurance job isn't serious (aka bumper damage), it's not listed as anything like that.

Cat D is a write off, either chassis damage or just that the car's so rare that it's not worth trying to source parts (I think Mk1 V6s have that issue).

Cat C is not fit for road use. If it's back on the road, it has had a lot spent on it.

Personally I wouldn't be happy driving (or more importantly driving others) around in a Cat D, let alone a C.

Steer clear is my advise, they're not listed as those for no reason is what you must remember.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
cat d is like minor damage, which means its a easy repaire and dont need to take it to some place to get it checked, cat c is worse i.e chassis damage and is repaireable but you have to take it to some test check place to see if its road worthy and been repaired to a decent standard. Correct me if im wrong please :)

alex

BTW. You're wrong:quiet: I hope you don't buy cars for your mother!!

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Megane R26
People need to get their facts straight, taken from DVLA site:

An explanation of the categories of write-off are listed below:

Category A

A vehicle which should have been totally crushed, including all its spare parts.

Category B

A vehicle from which spare parts may be salvaged, but the bodyshell should have been crushed and the car should never return to the road.

Category C

An extensively damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category D

A damaged vehicle which the insurer has decided not to repair, but which could be repaired and returned to the road.

Category F

A vehicle damaged by fire, which the insurer has decided not to repair.

Theft

These vehicles have not been recovered and ownership rests with the insurer who made the total loss payment. They are able to repossess the car as soon as it is identified, even if it has been bought innocently.

Vehicles categorised as A, B or C require a VIC test before the DVLA will issue a new registration document. This will then be noted on the V5C

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Cat C aside, wtf is the number plate, would do a vehicle check but can't make out what it says. VTS style 16v suggests it has been ragged, and the engine looks filthy, is the oil cap even on!?

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Megane R26
Cat C aside, wtf is the number plate, would do a vehicle check but can't make out what it says. VTS style 16v suggests it has been ragged, and the engine looks filthy, is the oil cap even on!?

WTF at that comment! :mad: You people.......

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
The reg. is for a car of the description given, but my concern would be is it on the car thats offered for sale ?

The plates are not fixed properly and that would leave me to suspect he has photographed another identical car for the purposes of the ad.

Presumably you got the status report on that registration number or called him, which is how you know its a Cat C.
Does the fact he has not said so in the blurb not indicate he is trying to conceal that fact. He is more concerned about non paying bidders and making threats, than giving information about the car, that is a another worry.

The Guys feedback is not good and he seems to sell a lot of cars, twice, to the same bloke "Binkysmallpiece" who just happens to live in Sheffield also, sounds like shill bidding going wrong to me.

The expression "asbestos gloves" comes to mind. IMO.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a friend who has a seat ibiza, and has just found out that it used to be a ctegory b write off? is that possible that it is back on the road?

oh and i would stay clear of any car that had been in an accident, but thats just my opinion!

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0

WTF at that comment! :mad: You people.......

Those badges are £3 from motorworld, they look s**t, clearly a boy racer type to buy one and stick it on. Theres an 8V 206 round my way with one!
One of my favourites, sums up my point:

ray648fiestabadgesfe2.jpg

Trader Rating - 91.4%
31   3   1
  Breaking A 172 Replica
Ok, I am going to go and have a look in the morning with my Dad and a mate (can never be too careful) and have a look at it. If it looks good then I will take it, if not I will leave it. With regards to the plate he is saying it is because the garage did it like that as they took the photos. I think it was because he had only just put his plate on it and taken the other one off.

One thing I am goign to check for is that the dials haven't been fiddled with, by removing dash and ensuring no stickers have been used to cover up any warning lights.

Anything else I should check apart from obviously the area that was said to have been damaged (e.g. boot floor) etc?

Thanks for all your help guys

Sam

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Astra coupe
Providing it has been repaired well theres nothing wrong with owning/driving a damaged car. My 306 was Cat C damage. No structural damage at all. It all depends on insurers. A lot tend to declare cars as Cat C if they are older than a certin age. I've seen cars with just a dent written off as Cat C.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Astra coupe
lol.Personally I wouldn't be happy driving (or more importantly driving others) around in a Cat D, let alone a C.
But you'd be happy driving around a car that has been repaired by an insurance company? Half the time the repair job is worse if done by an insurer.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Vectra :(
lol.

If an insurance job isn't serious (aka bumper damage), it's not listed as anything like that.

Cat D is a write off, either chassis damage or just that the car's so rare that it's not worth trying to source parts (I think Mk1 V6s have that issue).

Cat C is not fit for road use. If it's back on the road, it has had a lot spent on it.

Personally I wouldn't be happy driving (or more importantly driving others) around in a Cat D, let alone a C.

Steer clear is my advise, they're not listed as those for no reason is what you must remember.

I like people like you, you and the people with the misinformed "All cat C,D's" are bad and should be steered clear off keep all the prices of them down ;)

Seriously tho in some ways a cat C would be better than a D as at least they are inspected to a certain extent, and as also said a lot depends on the age of the car, cost of parts to repair

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Astra coupe
yep. i mean my 306 is a '99 on a V plate. damage to it was both rads (coolant and aircon) bonnet,bumper and it tweeked the front panel a tiny bit (pulled out though) that was it. cost me just over £300 to repair (all painted)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
the side skirts aren't stuck on properly, looks like it has the original 1.2 wings so isn't a good 172 replica, just a home made bodge job. the rear wiper is stuck up in the air / so it has had a repair to the rear / check the electrics at the rear. it looks crap. buy a normal 1.2, n do it up yourself, the floor carpet is all worn out

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Astra coupe
i have to agree, that particular example doesn't look well repaired/cared for. Probably better off giving it a miss or when you go to look check absolutely everything. I think the fact the current owner hasn't even cleaned it says everything about it really.