ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who’s got a Clio GTT near Essex

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Im very interested to see what the Clios like with the GTT unit in.

If any body is near Grays Essex I would love to meet up and see what it goes like.

Let me know if any ones available please!

[Edited by Daz on 12 May 2004 at 11:25am - Editted Title.]

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Spoken to Diamond Geezer before, he said hed meet me in Southend sometime and take me for a spin.

Hopefully hell see this and remember!

I fluffed the title up - should have said Clio GTT!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Any one have a number or email address for torsion tuning?

Are they in Whitham?

Thats not too far from me.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I just emailed them.

Thought it would be a bit cheaper than £2k?

Was thinking around the £1,500 mark, not gonna go for mad mods, just the conversion unless theres any work needed on the engine.

Maybe better cooler and more boost if the engines healthy, then work my way up to an up-rated turbo and cam etc etc.

Dont wanna strain the engine, just want some turbo fun in my Clio as I dont like R5s enough to lose mine and get one!

Find a good engine, drop it in.

If you can get a good, running engine for £500 then yea.. you could do it on £1500.

Both TT cars are currently off the road

One was sold to Hollywood Hogan and the other is having more engine mods done to it

Been in Been in most of the clio GTT in essex apart form marcuss and there amazin. All made by TT as well ;)

07949 473317 - Dave @ Torsion tuning.

Theyve done 14 gtt conversion into clios and are based near witham in Kelvedon, so not far from you mate.

Matt16v - mine is in there at the moment, ask the question again in a few weeks ;-)

For a straight swap r5gtt into clio will be 1200 basic.

Dave

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Got a possible whole car lined up with only 86k on the clock, its totally standard as well so hopefully mechanically it will be fine.

Depends if I can agree a price for the car but £1,200 for the conversion I would pay hapilly then return when I want more work done.

thats what i did, found a whole car off rtoc. Beware of just dropping it in tho, there will always be hidden costs when they take it out. Small parts can be expected tho, its a over 15yr old car.

Ive gone straight for the rebuild with cam, headwork, lightened & balanced bottom end, uprated gaskets/seals, low comp, etc

Be carefull tho, itc can spiral out of controll when you get carried away. Specially with shiny bits.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

BTT

Without any silly comments - any one fancy taking me for a ride if they got a Clio GTT.

Going to Torsion Tuning on Friday night but heard their demo cars are out of commision.

Not sure mate, its daves motor running around 250bhp, its not officially up for sale yet so if your intersted get in contact with him. Have a look on rtoc.org

Might be able to find more info on there. User name TorsionTuning

300bhp MR2 Turbo

BTT

Is that a 250bhp 16v engine?

As much as Id like that its way to expensive and comes with alot of hidden costs and problems.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Well, had a brain storm, my dads getting some money soon and I might ask him for an interest free loan which would not only speed things up but also allow me to get more work done and therefore a better job.

Safe 250 bhp from a 1.4 is so impressive!!

Didnt think they could do any where near that on a day to day basis!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Im pretty much sold on this even though Im yet to go out in one.

Spoken to Diamond Geezer and may meet him on Saturday for a spin.

It just seems SO easy to get power out of a GTT engine - and torque levels that the 16v cant match.

In car boost looks like a spuerb value for money mod!

In car boost is not the best mod since sliced bread, too easy to get carried away and are so inaccurate. If youve spent a bit of money on the engine having a knob that you can turn to blow you car up is a bit stupid. Specially if ur loosing a little race and the temptation to unscrew it all the way.

u only need to adjust your boost once or twice and thats jus to see what boost you should be runnin then you leave it. As Dave said idiots give the GTT a bad name coz they give in to temptation and jus stick it right up

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I know what you mean about turning the boost up with out the proper precautions and blowing it sky high.

Just the bit on K-Tec said they re-jet the carb, strap the intercooler and various other bits to keep it all in check.

They say you can safely turn it up to run between 160 and 170 bhp on a standard engine?

I have no experience with these engines so wont make any bold statements!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra

Quote: Originally posted by CorsaD2003 on 13 May 2004

In car boost is not the best mod since sliced bread, too easy to get carried away and are so inaccurate. If youve spent a bit of money on the engine having a knob that you can turn to blow you car up is a bit stupid. Specially if ur loosing a little race and the temptation to unscrew it all the way.
If you have a highly modded engine though, its good to be able to switch between normal boost and other settings for racing etc. Ive got a Blitz SBC-ID electronic boost controller on mine. Theres a lot of features and its very accurate, can be used as a boost guage too. And as its universal so you can always swap it to another turbo car, as long as you set your max boost to something reasonable like 25PSI it should be ok. (not on a standard car)

Mr2 Roadster

Yep auoto boost control rocks, then you have a set limit.

Just having a "in-car boost control" or bleed valve as it is effectively is far too dangerous!

coolspot - i was referring to the knob style manual in car adjustable boost not a proper boost controller like a profec a/b or blitz sbc series. Electronic boost controllers are the business.

Out of interest what sort of power/modification spec you got? Is it a gtt or a 16v turbo? PM if you like.

Quote: Originally posted by coolspot007007 on 13 May 2004

Quote: Originally posted by CorsaD2003 on 13 May 2004

If you have a highly modded engine though, its good to be able to switch between normal boost and other settings for racing etc. Ive got a Blitz SBC-ID electronic boost controller on mine. Theres a lot of features and its very accurate, can be used as a boost guage too. And as its universal so you can always swap it to another turbo car, as long as you set your max boost to something reasonable like 25PSI it should be ok. (not on a standard car)

did the boost controler have to be hard-wired on this, if so must have been a big job! the blitz controllers are linked by an adapter so the lume must have been butchered!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Saw a GTT a few times with side exit exhaust and it was making a huge popping noise, prob louder than a gun and was shooting flames out. My valver pops and sometimes flames but this thing was imense. Some one said something about anti-lag but would you need it on a small turbo ?

Any one know why it was doing this?

Wouldnt be anti lag on a 5 i doubt. Unless it had a Dustbin sized turbo in there and actually needed it.. Most probably because side exits are shorter distance to exit the car and more free flowing combined with full throttle gear shift/ignition cut device or similar.

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive got a Clio GTT done by Grey Devil in Cambridge........i live in the North West........i travelled such a long distance because after speaking to all the tuners Andy at GDI seemed the best man for the job, and i wasnt wrong....

there is no point spending over 1k mate dropping an engine in thats got 89k on it, your only gonna end up with problems a few months down the line which may, or may not, end up with the engine having to come out to be worked on

save up, and get the engine rebuilt, even if its just to a standard spec

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Yeah I know what you mean brun, I have a plan to get some more funds for that as well.

Interest free loan from my old man could be on the cards.

Standard re-builds about a grand isnt it? or not alot more.