ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

why is the clio 172 slow

hi i have a clio 172 but they dont seem to live up to their name
and why is it all these f**king stupid little 106 gtis and saxos are so fast

i had a saxo vtr and the build quailty is sh*t , i had it from brand new and it was always going back to the dealer,

anyway their is somthing wrong here, is it because the saxo/106 is lighter
than the clio 172 or is it more saxo/106 owners mod there cars to keep up with the clio 172s

i had 140mph out of the clio and then this dickhead of a kid
told me he had 145mph out of his 106 gti "bullsh*t" my clio is standard
nothing done to it what so ever,and the 106gti had a induction kit and full exhaust system.

another thing is the clio 2.0 16v and the 106 gti /saxo vts is 1.6 16v
what is going on the clio should piss all over the 106/saxo

please 172 owners let me know of your victorys

shorty

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

172s Slow?

140mph out of a 106 (its not geared to go that fast even if i had 600bhp)

i think is a question of weight

And My "built on a wednesday" theory

Maybe its not 172s that are slow, but 106 GTis and Saxo VTS are just much faster than youd like to think.....! Id still rather be in a 172 or a Williams, but it looks like the VTS/106 GTi is a bit of a "performance bargin".....

Rhys

Toms right, most 106/VTS owners think theyre fast as they have little momentum to overcome. Youre probably still in that frame of mind, just remember a 106 is almost 2 seconds slower to 60 and does 127mph. Dont listen to ze bullsh*tters.

GR7

Shiny red R32

If you have an accident in a Saxo or 106 GTi I dont think you will be as well protected as you would be in a Renault Clio, which should be reassurring to us Clio drivers!

The body shell of the Clio is much stronger than the other two and Renaults have more stars in the Euro NCAP crash testing programme than the other two.

Thats an interesting point to bring in which hasnt been mentioned before ( i dont think). Even my 1.2 has 6 airbags so ill die of suffocation instead :)

Rob - 2 seconds slower than what to 60mph? The 106 GTI and VTS reach 60mph in mid to low 7 seconds. The 172 definitely doesnt get there in low 5s!

Rhys

thanks for you replys
i know this topic was about performance of the clio172 vs the 106/saxo
tubs of sh*t,

But the safety comment is right i worked for renault bodyshop
and i seen some nasty crashes involving the saxo, i think they are made of rice paper

but please keep the performance replys coming i want to here more about
the little tubs of sh*t getting beaten.

shorty

Nope this was with racelogic equipment, there was a VTS on 17s, zorst, filter cams did it in 8.85. That twin engined R5 did it in 3.5!!

I had a race a while bk with a 106gti it had zorst and ind kit , it was quick but did not have nout on mine , mine was compltley standard at the time and i beat him convincley ,, just 2 much power diffrence between the 2 really..So u can not say the 172s r slow that is daft really....

Cheers paul

good to see someone has the same opinion
they are cheap and the only thing they are good for is setting on fire
and the 106 gti tubs of sh*t

i had a 206 gti once never again they are a even bigger tub of sh*t
anyway thanks mate for a good honest reply

shorty

thats it mailto:cr172@18">cr172@18
i not saying the clio 172 is slow i have one and i love it, but it all these people with saxo vtss and 106 gti think they got something to prove against us clio 172 owners

"oh mine 106 gti does 145mph" year right bullsh*t

i know there is a big power difference but they still seem to keep up

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The 172 IS fast, but cars like the 106 GTi & Saxo VTS are not far behind...

When my mate got his 172 he wanted to race my old 106 GTi to see how they compared. We were both surprised when the 106 kept up! :eek:

In a straight line sprint, the Clio is only slightly faster off the mark, but as the speed builds the 172 has the advantage and will pull away at higher speeds. You are better off not doing a traffic light start, but getting one on the move then you can pull away.

A 106 GTi will do 140mph, but it will be sat on the redline!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

wont ;)

How can it i just did some sums and the gearbox is geared for

121mph @6200rpm

whats the rev limit?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Wont......140mph on the speedo maybe!! there are so many factors involved!

What does top speed mean anyway....nothing! Who drives at 140mph anyway? Lets face there are loads of cars out there that will do 140+ but still arent considered that fast in accelletation terms, 30-70 would be a much better comparison

As if 140mph is any use to anyone with a hot hatch anyway. People didnt think that the Williams could keep up with a 172....we proved it could up to 130mph (where we stopped). People reckon a VTS cant keep up with a Williams.....ummm.....proved that they can just the other night. So, if a Willy can keep pace with a 172 and a VTS can keep pace with a Willy, it would kind of suggest that there is not much to seperate them in terms of performance. Remember, this is what myself and Craggy have proved (and videoed :devilish:), not just what we think based on paper figures!

There is no way that the VTS 0-60 time is 8.5 seconds as standard. That would mean my Williams is 8.5 to 60 as standard which I also refuse to believe.

The VTS/106 GTi go like the clappers, have great handling and dubious French build quality.....ring any bells anyone?!

Rhys

Astra 1.9cdti XP

That maths means nothing!! What about wind, drag friction etc. Its no good just simply working the top speed based on mph per 1000 revs etc. The faster you get the more resistance.

There is no way on gods green earth that a VTS or a 172 for that matter will break 140mph its just not possible!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 04 February 2003

Wont......140mph on the speedo maybe!! there are so many factors involved!
It most certainly will...

My speedo was actually pretty accurate (proved on a rolling road), but I know people with 106s & Saxos that are quite a bit "generous" shall we say.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by geordiepaul on 04 February 2003

There is no way on gods green earth that a VTS or a 172 for that matter will break 140mph its just not possible!!!
But my 306 WILL do... :D

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Not gonna get into a big debate about it....you have your opinion and I have mine! What does it matter anyway!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

tis true on paper, not in real life. check on paper stats:

106: 143.55mph vmax 19.8mph per 1000rpm in 5th @7250 rpm

Clio172\cup 142.8mph vmax 20.4 per 1000rpm in 5th @7000rpm

On paper!! Dont flame me!!

I dont know, but Id be inclined to agree.

Nevermind about 106 GTIs and VTSs, my 172 has trouble with lesser cars. Im really starting to wonder if its a Clio 72 instead. I wont even embarrass myself by telling you all what I struggled to get past today.:confused:

Surely it is fairly easy to work out how accurate a speedo is. Find out the mph/1000rpm for each gear and then put it to the test. If in 4th gear at 7000rpm @ 16mph/1000rpm your speedo shows 112mph, then it is accurate. If it show 150mph, it isnt!

Rhys

Sorry but they have 120bhp, no offence but its bull that they can do anywhere near that, not physically possible so why are we arguing the point?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

172 should show

5000rpm =100mph ish

3000rpm =60mph ish

in 5th

Rob - I belieive the point is being argued because:

a) this is a discussion forum and

b) there is a point to be argued. We have an ex-106 GTi owner who says it IS possible and that he has done it himself.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 04 February 2003

Sorry but they have 120bhp, no offence but its bull that they can do anywhere near that, not physically possible so why are we arguing the point?
So how come the can and do then?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Tom -

Work out the max "theoretical" speeds for the 106 GTi in all gears, if redlined...

Wanna see if they tie up with what you get.