ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams vs 182

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
met up with my mate whos got a 04 plate 182 with cup packs. took both the cars up to mine for a good washing session then out for a bit of a play. he stayed behind me and i led the way he was commenting on how sweet the williams sounded especially when i was booting it (his is standard) anyway we had various blasts round the outskirts of edinburgh on some nice short streches of dual carriageway etc and there was baciscally nothing in it , i wasnt pulling and he wasnt gaining, was nice to get a comparison. told him to watch out after i get my cams/pulleys and remap ill be leaving him behind oh and his sounds s**t, like a dyson hoover. oh my williams has hillpower i.k, hillpower chip, de cat and full magnex. cheers.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Nice....was he surprised? The 182s deffo sound a bit shite stnd need some goodies to sweeten the sound.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah think he thought i was going to be a pushover. but he does love the williams, he was saying it was on 3 wheels on a couple of "sharp" corners, lol. suspension has been upgraded/lowered as well. it was the noise he loved ,he was driving with his windows down to hear it. lol.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Exellent.Now i hope this does'nt open a can of worms like it usually does.Good to see some friendly motorsport between two rivals..

ian

I'd question the skill of the 182 driver if he was surprised at a cocked wheel, obviously wasnt/cant drive hard enough ;)

Clio v6
Clear this up a bit for me please.

You were on dual carriageways yet he was cocking his wheels up around corners?

So who got to 70 the quickest?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
There should'nt be any exuses.A lighter modded car v's a standard one.There should'nt be anything in it

ian

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Lets not turn this into another.....gash mk1Vsmk2 thread! That'll be resolved in a week or so....;)

BMW M3
Oh... and i dont think a standard 182 sounds that gash at 4500rpm upwards, dont think mine does anyway. Am i talking BS?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
we were driving for a quite a while, wasnt just dual carriageway, the fact mine is slightly modded is just me being honest, lets face it the 182 has a big advantage on bhp right from the start so im allowed a couple of mods to help me out surely. lol. he had a vipe on it but took it off, said it was s**t and cant get proper cold air feed to it. but the 182 is a nice car, i had a cup before so know the performance of the newer models is very good, just glad my old willy could still put up such a good performance.

MINI JCW
Justin182 said:
Oh... and i dont think a standard 182 sounds that gash at 4500rpm upwards, dont think mine does anyway. Am i talking BS?

I think the 182 sounds alright as well, i wouldnt want it any louder as i cant stand exhaust that make a racket a 2000rpm

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Std v Std the 182 would win to 100

Mod vs Mod the 182 would win

Both Straight line and round the track..

Yes you can all b*tch but get the stig in a Williams and see if he can beat the 182 time....DOUBT IT.

People have their own experiences then fine..but same driver same condition the 182 is the faster car.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
williams was turning more heads btw. more people seem to appreciate a mint clio williams imo. as for the faster car chat, like a said nothing in it.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
brazo said:
God not another sad my cars modded 182 wannabe!!!
wtf is that supposed to mean!!?? i sold my cup to buy a mint low mileage williams!! if i wanted a 182 i would of bought one !!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
yeah, i put an honest thread on about a comparison on 2 great cars and now im a 182 wannabee. sad.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
brazo said:
God not another sad my cars modded 182 wannabe!!!

WTF,,

Clio Williams 20 secs to 100

182 17.5

Big difference....Oh and the cup will beat it too

Whats your point...

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
speed is not the only thing that makes a great car, yes i agree the 182 would be quicker to 100, but so would a meastro turbo, thats not really the point is it. put it this way, he was never, and i mean never, going to be able to get past me. not a big enough difference in performance for that.

MINI JCW
miketheman2k said:
I've got a 182, but I'm big enough to admit they'd be virtually identical in the real world.

This is pretty much the same for all the hot hatches out there at the moment, there is not alot in them

Its like the vid on here of the 182 against the Focus RS there was nothing in it (if anything the clio looked slighlty quicker) within speeds that would be done on the road, after that the RS destroyed the 182

jzr

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
i love the williams, i had a 16v a few years ago an i loved that car, it had been chipped, cams, de cat, head work the lot an boy did that car go. I bought it as it was so i don't know how fast standard 16v's were. It was also my first hot hatch.I love to have that car back now but the boy i sold it wrecked the engine on it.

I am also a member on the scooby site as i had a wrx import before the 172 an people were like this over the 172 v scooby some said a scooby would waste the 172 but others said no. My self i don't think there would be a lot in a scooby an 172. Book figures an real world are not the same

Put in the hands of a racing driver and thrashed round the same track then the 182 will be the quicker if we are comparing std vs std, it wont be by a huge margin though. If we're serious the driver or amount of additional weight(audio, passengers, fuel, general crap in the boot) will tip the balance one way or the other.

tiTTy & SV650
can only agree, nothing in it, I had a play with Stromba in his Willias on the Scottish Road trip. his is de-cat and my 182 is standard

Last edited:
  Clio v6
Loony said:
Put in the hands of a racing driver and thrashed round the same track then the 182 will be the quicker if we are comparing std vs std, it wont be by a huge margin though. If we're serious the driver or amount of additional weight(audio, passengers, fuel, general crap in the boot) will tip the balance one way or the other.

Ah but this was on the road/dual carriageway so not the best place to compare either car.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
bloody hell guys whats wrong with everybody....

all he was doing was telling us about his drive.....i don't see what peoples opinions on what the fater car is has to do with this thread.....

I was in my 182 with my dad the other Sunday. He has owned loads of nice cars from the 205GTi 1.9, Clio Williams(1), Lotus Elise and Honda s2000. In the 'olden days' he drove a Cavalier SRi, then an Astra GTE so I've grown up loving my cheapo fast cars and hence I LOVE the 182Cup.

We came to a junction and a f**king sweet Willy was waiting to pull out and we both just said "oh my god check out that sweet Williams"

Nuff said. The End.

tiTTy & SV650
indeed, the williams is more of a classic than the 182 will ever be IMO I'd love to have one, I bet its a far more involved drive too.

0-100 with a clear drag I'd expect to own one in Cooper S style (quite convincingly)

But speed is FAR from everything :)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Roy Munson said:
0-100 with a clear drag I'd expect to own one in Cooper S style (quite convincingly)

But speed is FAR from everything :)

This is why we're having a day at Pod....I'd expect you to be surprised;)

Not if all the 182 owners are running std cars with interiors and all the mk1 boys have cams/decats/headwork and have chopped enough metalwork out of their cars to make a trabant with the spare bits ;)

Martin. said:
This is why we're having a day at Pod....I'd expect you to be surprised;)

I'd imagine I would :)

I'm only going on paper figures, which from what I've read put the Willy in Cooper S territory to the ton, and I know I've 'smoked' a few S's to triple figures.

However, speed isnt everything, and paper figures mean even less. If I ever dragged a standard Willy I'd expect to beat it (maybe not its driver) to the ton, but I'd show much respect in doing so. The fact that a hatch of its age can hold a candle to the likes of the VXR, ST etc. and out-do them all dynamically, is a testement to the greatness of the machine IMHO.

The Willy was the last of its kind. The Clio 182 does things better and slightly faster but with probably slightly less charm and involvement (if that's possible given how well it drives). I'd rather own the 182, but I have the respect to know that it was born from such greats as the Willy :approve: