ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams vs 182

Polo GTi
I typed in "182 Drivers" in Google and look what I found ;)

YourProblem-797283.jpg

Scirocco GT 210
FlamingMonkey said:
I typed in "182 Drivers" in Google and look what I found ;)

YourProblem-797283.jpg

That's very true :D I also got the exact same picture when I tried "Williams driver".

Lets face it, we're all as bad as each other :dapprove:

Polo GTi
Steve2004 said:
That's very true :D I also got the exact same picture when I tried "Williams driver".

Lets face it, we're all as bad as each other :dapprove:

Yep I agree, hehe, its all fun though, I don't take these threads too serious, always ends like this, surprised its lastedt this long :D

gazcaddy said:
Not totally in the know about the williams but correct me if im wrong, but how does a car with 32 bhp less and 15 bhp per tonne less blow away the 182?

Better engine and equivalent-to-marginally-better handling.

VaVa
Dis regarding the bullshit for a moment, whta makes the Williams engine 'better' than the F4R ?

To the best of my knowledge is generates less torque, less power and has lower economy... So what makes it 'better'?

lagerlout1 said:
Dis regarding the bullsh*t for a moment, whta makes the Williams engine 'better' than the F4R ?

To the best of my knowledge is generates less torque, less power and has lower economy... So what makes it 'better'?

Better torque curve that the F4R (F7R is nearly maxed from a low rpm)...makes for an easier drive/more flexible car.

MINI JCW
u33db said:
Better torque curve that the F4R (F7R is nearly maxed from a low rpm)...makes for an easier drive/more flexible car.

So it is less powerful, produces less torque, isnt as economical but has a better torque curve so the F7R is a better engine???

Renaultsport must have no idea what they are doing then

Nippy white cup
Having said that the rusty arches on the valvers carried on all the way thru the Willie range as well.....:rasp:

Chris

Clio 172 mk2
gazcaddy said:
So it is less powerful, produces less torque, isnt as economical but has a better torque curve so the F7R is a better engine???

S**t, I better get rid of my 172 engine and try and source a F7R to go in instead (laughter).

gazcaddy said:

Think about it...you're going to have to rev the F4 more to get moving - the F7 will get there just that bit quicker.

Liken it to why your 172's etc can stick with a CTR...they've got less bhp but the CTR is relatively gutless below a certain rpm...it evens out in reality...

Nippy white cup
The civic might be 'gutless' below a certain rev but if you were aiming to drive fast then surely you`d be in the right gear to get the most out of it. Mine pulls very well from 50mph in 3rd but if I wanted I could use 2nd and it pulls a lot harder....I guess the Willie is the king on the twisties and around town in 5th

chris

Polo GTi
Chris n`nic said:
Having said that the rusty arches on the valvers carried on all the way thru the Willie range as well.....:rasp:

Chris

hehe at least mines still got the same engine and box it left the factory with ;)

Chris n`nic said:
The civic might be 'gutless' below a certain rev but if you were aiming to drive fast then surely you`d be in the right gear to get the most out of it. Mine pulls very well from 50mph in 3rd but if I wanted I could use 2nd and it pulls a lot harder....I guess the Willie is the king on the twisties and around town in 5th

chris

You can never be 'in the right gear' all the time to get the most power though; peak power is only a certain (one) point in the rev range...the very nature of changing gear means this will fluctuate dropping you over/under it!

What you call being in the right gear is basically being within a certain range of peak power and this precisely my point of the F7 having a better torque curve...its closer to peak power for more of the rev range so is more flexible.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The williams F7R 700 engine is a far superior unit to the F4R engine used in the 172 & 182 - thats a fact !!!!

Nippy white cup
u33db said:
You can never be 'in the right gear' all the time to get the most power though; peak power is only a certain (one) point in the rev range...the very nature of changing gear means this will fluctuate dropping you over/under it!

What you call being in the right gear is basically being within a certain range of peak power and this precisely my point of the F7 having a better torque curve...its closer to peak power for more of the rev range so is more flexible.

Fairdoos...I`ll just have to try and be happy that my car can pull quick enough to keep up with traffic in town in 5th at 25mph with no judder but revs to 8k when I need it to (some would say that was flexible enough!)

Chris

Modded the fastest ones are certianly quicker down the strip than any willy/172/182 would be. Mind you 'd sooner have an accident in the 172/182, you're dicing with death in the 5 at anything over about 35mph lol

SC 172 FF
gazcaddy said:
Where on earth do you get you statistics from?, alot of people would struggle to look at a williams or a 182 and tell you its a clio, most people dont know anything about cars

did u not read my whole post?....if u did u would kno i got my figures based on talking to people......

also theyd only have to luk at the rear of a williams or 182 and they wud know straight away its a clio ;)

and just because not every1s a car enthusiast dusnt mean they dont kno anythin about cars!

EVO VII
Loony said:
Modded the fastest ones are certianly quicker down the strip than any willy/172/182 would be. Mind you 'd sooner have an accident in the 172/182, you're dicing with death in the 5 at anything over about 35mph lol

There made out of tin cans :) LOL you have to be careful not to dent the door when you close it :D

i certainly wouldnt like to hit ANYTHING in one, nice steaming hot turbo sitting on your lap :D

VaVa
MATT BLACK said:
The williams F7R 700 engine is a far superior unit to the F4R engine used in the 172 & 182 - thats a fact !!!!

It's all very well saying it... Can you give me any reason?

As for the torque curve b****cks, the F4R produces 85% of it's torque from 2,500 rpm.... so there's plenty of useable torque low down, like the f7r... only more of it.....

JayGTT said:
There made out of tin cans :) LOL you have to be careful not to dent the door when you close it :D

i certainly wouldnt like to hit ANYTHING in one, nice steaming hot turbo sitting on your lap :D

I had one for 2& 1/2 years, tbh i wouldnt say they were made out of tin cans as they take effort to fold, french biscuit tins is more appropriate for the bodywork on them. Great fun though.

williams and trophy
hmmmm my torque curve is more of a flat line from 4000rpm to the limiter......and its not exactly a curve on the way up either..more of a steep incline.

that must be where the f4s go wrong.theirs curves lol

Why dont you all get together at an airfield or something like that? Bit of friendly banter and some comparisons!? I would come and dont even own a Clio.

SC 172 FF
GeeUK said:
Why dont you all get together at an airfield or something like that? Bit of friendly banter and some comparisons!? I would come and dont even own a Clio.

not a bad idea actualy!

allthough there will be sum comparasons at POD :D

Astra VXR 17/05/07
GeeUK said:

Sounds like a great venue for a " Who can piss furthest " competition ;-)