ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams vs 182

Toyota MR2 Turbo Rev2
The way i see it is that everyone owns their car for a reason, because they wanted it. Ive recently bought myself a valver because, from about the age of 16 I've always wanted one. I bought it cos I'm 20 now and can afford to insure it!!!

This thread is to talk about the qualities of Williams and 182's, not to say what's is faster.

The williams, IMO, is the better car, its the original hot hatch, the 182 is just an electronic version of it, but thats just my opinion cos I prefer older cars with more character!!

Everyone's happy with their own car right?! Well thats all the matters surely! :D

EVOgone said:
WTF,,

Clio Williams 20 secs to 100

182 17.5

Big difference....Oh and the cup will beat it too

Whats your point...

The comment was made coz i'm sick to death of seeing 'I've modded my car and look it keeps up with your std car type threads'

BTW next time your doing a ton count for 2.5 secs and see how far you travel ;)

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Well Roy I can't argue too much with that seems a levelheaded opinion....
As to straight line speed... there are good and bad examples of each car...perhaps more so the renaultsport cars than other makes.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
gazcaddy said:
This is pretty much the same for all the hot hatches out there at the moment, there is not alot in them

Its like the vid on here of the 182 against the Focus RS there was nothing in it (if anything the clio looked slighlty quicker) within speeds that would be done on the road, after that the RS destroyed the 182

That was a V6

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
yeecup said:
speed is not the only thing that makes a great car, yes i agree the 182 would be quicker to 100, but so would a meastro turbo, thats not really the point is it. put it this way, he was never, and i mean never, going to be able to get past me. not a big enough difference in performance for that.

Hey totally agree, but my comment was about which was quicker not the pretiest. Anyways the Meastro Turbo would not be as quick round the track as either of them.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
brazo said:
The comment was made coz i'm sick to death of seeing 'I've modded my car and look it keeps up with your std car type threads'

BTW next time your doing a ton count for 2.5 secs and see how far you travel ;)

williams is listed as 20.8 I believe...so nearer 3.5 secs on paper;)

Mk1 WIlliams cost a lot less.
I'm looking at a 172/182 at the moment. However give me a 182 and a Williams and I'll get the Williams round a track quicker.
Maybe the 182 is quicker standard vs standard (will depend on what car a good Williams vs a bad 182 I'd see the WIlliams winning etc). But the WIlliams is much cheaper so you can coilover tune it etc for less than the 182 will cost even one without a warently.
However I'm more willing to push my Williams its much cheaper to write off.

I wish I'd had a video camera in my car today I think the WIlliams vs cooper S (which possibly should be a quicker car) debate would show that even me (not that good a drivr) managed to clearly be quicker on track I'm assuming the Mini driver was the same skill but he wouldn't push his £20k or car to a limit).

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
My comment was about standard cars, it was a true factual comment.

No-one can disagree the 182 vs William both std the 182 is quicker (straight line and track).

Thats it.....there is nothing to discuss......

MINI JCW
EVOgone said:
Oh that one yes the 182 got smoked....

Yes it did get smoked but only after 100plus mph, so in the real world (i.e on the track or road) not much in it as i said

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
EVOgone said:
My comment were about standard cars it was a true factual comment.

No-one can disagress the 182 vs William both std the 182 is quicker.

Thats it.....there is nothing to discuss......

Thats just figures on a piece of paper...I have yet to see any quick 182s all the quick ones I have seen heard of have been 172 cups...

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
gazcaddy said:
Yes it did get smoked but only after 100plus mph, so in the real world (i.e on the track or road) not much in it as i said

182 vs the RS sorry but the 182 would get smoked.....

0-100 in 14.6

182 17.5

Driven both and the RS is a step quicker...have a go in one and im sure you would agree.

MINI JCW
EVOgone said:
182 vs the RS sorry but the 182 would get smoked.....

0-100 in 14.6

182 17.5

Driven both and the RS is a step quicker...have a go in one and im sure you would agree.

I dont doubt the RS is quicker, I notice you take the figure from Evo but no FWD hatchback gets to 100 anywhere near 14.6 secs, not even the R32, Alfa GTA, VXR, meg 225 and they all have more power than the RS

Autocar get the FRS to 100 in 16.4 and the 182 in 17.0

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
gazcaddy said:
I dont doubt the RS is quicker, I notice you take the figure from Evo but no FWD hatchback gets to 100 anywhere near 14.6 secs, not even the R32, Alfa GTA, VXR, meg 225 and they all have more power than the RS

Autocar get the FRS to 100 in 16.4 and the 182 in 17.0

As previously stated drive both and your opinion will change. In Autocar the RS 0-100-0 beat both the CTR and the Leon Cupra R to 100.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Agreed Gaz I've yet to see any stnd RS come close to the quoted 14.6 to 100 and thats on a grippy drag surface! No doubting they are quicker than any 2.0 clio as stnd though.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Martin. said:
Agreed Gaz I've yet to see any stnd RS come close to the quoted 14.6 to 100 and thats on a grippy drag surface! No doubting they are quicker than any 2.0 clio as stnd though.

My point was that the RS is quicker to 100 and i think we all agree....

MINI JCW
EVOgone said:
As previously stated drive both and your opinion will change.

you can have an opinion of what feels faster but it doesnt mean its faster. The RS will always feel much faster than the 182 because of the turbo, I agree the RS is quicker but if you look at the times on the 1/4 mile the RS are not that much faster than the 172/182's a couple of tenths of a second between them, as I said once over 90mph they are in a different league

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Martin. said:
AAAaaaanyway I think this may have gone a little off topic lol

Agreed - 182s are quicker than then Williams and the RS is quicker than both of them.

Topic closed.

Roy Munson said:
I was in my 182 with my dad the other Sunday. He has owned loads of nice cars from the 205GTi 1.9, Clio Williams(1), Lotus Elise and Honda s2000. In the 'olden days' he drove a Cavalier SRi, then an Astra GTE so I've grown up loving my cheapo fast cars and hence I LOVE the 182Cup.

We came to a junction and a f**king sweet Willy was waiting to pull out and we both just said "oh my god check out that sweet Williams"

Nuff said. The End.

Hear, hear!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Martin. said:
You never tire of fishing do you?;)

Whats to fish for its fact........

Mk1 guys get over it, its a new car and so it should be quicker, better on fuel and dynamically in a different league. Im not say which one you like best or which one you should buy.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The Williams had gold lettering on it, the Renaultsport 172s/182s only have silver. I think that settles which one's better! Gold rules, although I own a 172!

I'm joking BTW. Move on to the next topic, FFS.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
EVOgone said:
Whats to fish for its fact........

Mk1 guys get over it, its a new car and so it should be quicker, better on fuel and dynamically in a different league. Im not say which one you like best or which one you should buy.

Nothing to get over fella I'm quite happy with my slower, un-econimical, dynamically sub standard car..everyones a winner!;)

MINI JCW
EVOgone said:
Agreed - 182s are quicker than then Williams and the RS is quicker than both of them.

Topic closed.

Agreed but thats not what the discussion was about, No one doubt the RS is a quicker car than the 182, but the FACTS are at upto 90ish theres not alot in it and the 1/4 mile times prove that

just out of interest what time did the FRS do the 0-100-0 challenge in? this year the clio 182 got to 100 in 16.74 and the meg 225 in 15.94, I would expect the FRS to be on par with the 225

I have been intersted in a FRS but its the bloody interior what puts me off!

I havent commented so i will...

I own and love a Mk1 172, however if i found a Williams in the same condition as my 172 i would swap any day!

:)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Im not a fan of older cars,but i do have some respect for the williams.However the game has moved on and what tires me is the constant ill race you comments from people with willies when there cammed up and rolling roaded to the max with plastic windows and a milk crate to sit on.These have all been done for a purpose.
I remember a guyon here with a 196bhp 182 and im sure if he got to grips with a demon tweeks catalouge and bought all the lightweight stuff then he would be a little further up the road,and so on and so on......
We cant keep compairing cars like the jesus and 2 live to the standard williams.These guys have spent a lot of time and effort on there beloved cars and because they are pretty rapid they cant be regarded as the norm.

ian

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
I agree Ian....I actually think the williams is a bit sluggish in stnd form but it's handling, feedback, chassis and overall package is still a rival to many newer cars. Oh and I would like to see a lightened 200 bhp 182!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Aye I've seen plenty of pics of it...but never seen it in motion...Get a camera Gary!

Polo GTi
haha this thread has decended into gaydom

yawn.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
guys, my car has breathing mods and a chip, hardly massive mods in anyones book, this was real driving in all gears just having some fun and the cars were very evenly matched. im just glad we gave loads of other drivers the chance to be overtaken by two mint cars and both renaults. me and my mate both enjoyed it, was a right laugh, i respect his car and he respects mine. lets all get along! cheers.