ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Xbox Series X|S - OFFICIAL News!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Here is a very interesting article about how backwards compatibility works on the Series S. What an awesome feat of engineering!

Plus the fact that upscaling, higher frame rates and added HDR etc are all FREE features is mind blowing.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Will this console work okay /optimum with my surround sound receiver?

My system is dolby atmos ready so can I make use of it?
View attachment 1496925

OK I have done some digging...

Right, AV receivers are generally tedious to get working right because there is so much to think about, they all have their quirks!

First things first, seems those Onkyo receivers have many HDMI ports, although only certain ones allow HDMI “Passthrough”, so if you connect your SeriesX/S directly to the receiver, you’ll want to plug the HDMI lead in to one of those ports. You’ll have to check your manual to find out which one.

The plot thickens though, because you’ll also want to take advantage of HDR/Dolby Vision, and some receivers pass that through just fine, some don’t. It all just depends on how your receiver handles it, so you’ll have to set it up, go on your Xbox settings and see if HDR is enabled. There is also the issue of HDMI2.1 which I don’t think your receiver has, so 120fps gaming is out the window if you go via this method... that’s IF your TV supports it already, and right now most don’t.

The other way to do it (which again may or may not work) if to plug the HDMI from your console directly to your TV, and then HDMI ARC from the TV to your receiver. This might be a better option, but again it all depends on how your receiver handles what it does.

I hope this has cleared it up a little for you at least, but there isn’t really a way I can predict how it will work out because we don’t have the Series X yet and I don’t personally know the quirks of your receiver. Still, once the console does launch let us know how you get on and I’ll help wherever I can :)

Honda. Tesla Someday
WE HAVE BIG NEWS!!!!!!

It was just announced, that Microsoft has just reached an agreement to ACQUIRE ZeniMax Media.... who just happen to be the parent company of.... BETHESDA!

That’s right, Xbox now owns BETHESDA, the makers of The Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Wolfenstein etc etc! This is HUGE!!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Looking forward to having ALL these games from all these studios on GamePass!! Lol this is insanity. Twitter has lost its mind over this news!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Who’s preordering tomorrow then? I think I may go for the X outright. The monthly deal isn’t that great imo.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I’ll be pre ordering the X
360, one & one X were all day one purchases for me.

Any recommendations for a new external hard drive? Don’t think the current 1tb is gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
OK I have done some digging...

Right, AV receivers are generally tedious to get working right because there is so much to think about, they all have their quirks!

First things first, seems those Onkyo receivers have many HDMI ports, although only certain ones allow HDMI “Passthrough”, so if you connect your SeriesX/S directly to the receiver, you’ll want to plug the HDMI lead in to one of those ports. You’ll have to check your manual to find out which one.

The plot thickens though, because you’ll also want to take advantage of HDR/Dolby Vision, and some receivers pass that through just fine, some don’t. It all just depends on how your receiver handles it, so you’ll have to set it up, go on your Xbox settings and see if HDR is enabled. There is also the issue of HDMI2.1 which I don’t think your receiver has, so 120fps gaming is out the window if you go via this method... that’s IF your TV supports it already, and right now most don’t.

The other way to do it (which again may or may not work) if to plug the HDMI from your console directly to your TV, and then HDMI ARC from the TV to your receiver. This might be a better option, but again it all depends on how your receiver handles what it does.

I hope this has cleared it up a little for you at least, but there isn’t really a way I can predict how it will work out because we don’t have the Series X yet and I don’t personally know the quirks of your receiver. Still, once the console does launch let us know how you get on and I’ll help wherever I can :)
Thank you for taking the time to do the research on that mate. Appreciate it

Honda. Tesla Someday
Who’s preordering tomorrow then? I think I may go for the X outright. The monthly deal isn’t that great imo.

ME!!! I’ve had every Xbox on day one since the very first Xbox. I’ve also been to every launch party for Halo lol. Not getting this on day one would make my OCD drive me to insanity!!!

Monthly deal is attractive as it’s no money down, no interest, and if you haven’t already paid for GamePass, then it’s actually cheaper lol!!

I’ll be buying outright as I have already paid for GamePass Ultimate 3 years in advance like a psycho.

Honda. Tesla Someday
If Skyrim and Fallout don't make it to PlayStation I'll have to buy an xbox! I've never even touched an xbox controller upto now.

We’ll see how it pans out, but like the magic 8-ball says, “outlook not so good”.

Welcome aboard!! Lol

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
We’ll see how it pans out, but like the magic 8-ball says, “outlook not so good”.

Welcome aboard!! Lol
Not sure about that tbh. Would be a massive loss of revenue, especially if they aren't making much from Xbox if it's included in their pass (I know they have been bought out but they still need to make money)

With the amount of people that bum Fallout they would be daft to lose out on the £60 minimum from Playstation users. Weren't some editions£150+?

Obviously Microsoft will still continue with their exclusives like Sony do. Maybe they will have exclusive DLC ON Xbox like some of PS games have.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Not sure about that tbh. Would be a massive loss of revenue, especially if they aren't making much from Xbox if it's included in their pass (I know they have been bought out but they still need to make money)

With the amount of people that bum Fallout they would be daft to lose out on the £60 minimum from Playstation users. Weren't some editions£150+?

Obviously Microsoft will still continue with their exclusives like Sony do. Maybe they will have exclusive DLC ON Xbox like some of PS games have.

Microsoft has already said they will honour the games coming to PS5 that were already announced, but future games will be on a “case by case“ basis.

The idea that Games on GamePass do not make money is not true. No first party developer has ever complained about being on GamePass. Plus, third party developers who allow games to go to GamePass receive a large cash payout initially, and then see a surge in purchases for their games during being on GamePass (as the game gets free advertising) and then when they remove theor game from GamePass, people who enjoyed it then go ahead and purchase it. Countless developers have come out in support of revenue earned from GamePass.

Microsoft also announced today that GamePass subscribers are now at 15 million, up from 10 million 6 months ago. That growth of 50% in just 6 months is huge.

Its similar to Spotify or Netflix - they are both subscription models that make a tonne of money. The same can and does apply here, and it’s only getting started.

Will MS allow more games to go to the PS5? Possibly, but I think that over time we will see less games going to PS5 solely because keeping them exclusive to Xbox and PC = more reason for people to subscribe to GamePass.

I Hope that makes sense :)

Honda. Tesla Someday
I’ll be pre ordering the X
360, one & one X were all day one purchases for me.

Any recommendations for a new external hard drive? Don’t think the current 1tb is gonna cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to talk lol.

Hard drives for the Series X|S:

Using a USB 3.0 / 3.1 Hard Drive IS an option, BUT ONLY for Xbox One / Xbox 360 and Xbox games. NOT for Xbox Series games. This is because games made for the Series X|S utilise an architecture called “Velocity”. The Velocity architecture is new (and is now also going to be used for the latest Gaming PC’s) - and honestly its pretty amazing. In a nutshell, the games made for Series X|S NEED to be stored on the Super fast NVME internal drive (1TB) to work, as the games are designed to utilise that super fast asset streaming / Velocity. So in order to get more storage for SERIES X|S games you will have to purchase an expansion drive. They are releasing a 1TB expansion drive but we do not know the price yet.

So, the USB drives are for games from Xbox One, 360 and Xbox. However, you CAN STORE Series X|S games on the USB drives and then transfer them back to the internal/expansion storage as you like.

Thought I should clarify all this in case you didn’t know :)

Also for those buying a PS5 - the same applies - PS5 games will only work on the Internal drive. However to get more storage, there is no expansion slot - so the internal drive must be removed entirely and replaced - no pricing on those drives either though at this time.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Crazy things happened today.

Xbox now has the largest number of First Party development studios. Holy hell.

Attachments

• 0B7B2D66-87FA-4889-92D0-0E17653AABCE.jpeg
    0B7B2D66-87FA-4889-92D0-0E17653AABCE.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 54
  Honda. Tesla Someday
Microsoft has already said they will honour the games coming to PS5 that were already announced, but future games will be on a “case by case“ basis.

The idea that Games on GamePass do not make money is not true. No first party developer has ever complained about being on GamePass. Plus, third party developers who allow games to go to GamePass receive a large cash payout initially, and then see a surge in purchases for their games during being on GamePass (as the game gets free advertising) and then when they remove theor game from GamePass, people who enjoyed it then go ahead and purchase it. Countless developers have come out in support of revenue earned from GamePass.

Microsoft also announced today that GamePass subscribers are now at 15 million, up from 10 million 6 months ago. That growth of 50% in just 6 months is huge.

Its similar to Spotify or Netflix - they are both subscription models that make a tonne of money. The same can and does apply here, and it’s only getting started.

Will MS allow more games to go to the PS5? Possibly, but I think that over time we will see less games going to PS5 solely because keeping them exclusive to Xbox and PC = more reason for people to subscribe to GamePass.

I Hope that makes sense :)

Sorry for the typos in this, its late lol.

Just wanted to add (it won’t let me edit that post) that some games which go straight to GamePass from a third party developer are assisted in development by Microsoft. So lets say a game is being developed and is low on funds or resources, but they want to be on GamePass. Those developers will get cash and help from Microsoft to complete their games and launch on to GamePass.

Remember, no third party developers are forced on to GamePass, its by choice / money lol.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
Just went on the store in the hope to order it, only to find out that it's due to start at 8am.... whoops

Bit of a letdown reading that my current hard drive is a bit useless now - though it does make me chuckle a little that the PS boys can't expand theirs in the same way. I remember changing my original 60gb PS3 to a whopping 250gb back in the day.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Lol. I would of gone on my way home if I could of ordered already. Will have to see how fast I can do it online. I need 2 of them 😂

Honda. Tesla Someday
Just went on the store in the hope to order it, only to find out that it's due to start at 8am.... whoops

Bit of a letdown reading that my current hard drive is a bit useless now - though it does make me chuckle a little that the PS boys can't expand theirs in the same way. I remember changing my original 60gb PS3 to a whopping 250gb back in the day.

Mostly useless for Series games, but great for Xbox One, 360 and Xbox games :)

I am STILL awake waiting for pre-orders to start!! God I hope this goes well!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Mostly useless for Series games, but great for Xbox One, 360 and Xbox games :)

I am STILL awake waiting for pre-orders to start!! God I hope this goes well!
I'm currently in France, it's 8am already here!

Can't decide wether to order from Smyths or Game. Game will have more stock surely but Smyths will have less demand.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
I'm currently in France, it's 8am already here!

Can't decide wether to order from Smyths or Game. Game will have more stock surely but Smyths will have less demand.

I'm Gonna try both. Game for me Smyth's for my lad. I'd like to think there is less demand at Smyths. Fingers crossed I can get 2 and I'm not left without 😂

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
ME!!! I’ve had every Xbox on day one since the very first Xbox. I’ve also been to every launch party for Halo lol. Not getting this on day one would make my OCD drive me to insanity!!!

I've never bought day one before.

I was too young to care about new consoles when the original came out, I bought the 360 on day 2 from Woolworths with money from my Saturday job, and after cancelling my XB One pre-order I bought it on day 2 from Game (in some crazy overpriced package).

It's not going to be the same not frantically trying to find stock on the weekend of release 😁

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My Game wait time just keeps going up, was due to be in before 8am, now it's more like 8:10