ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£5000 to spend!

Right im getting £5000 to spend on another car:D but dunno wot to get cus ya can get quite alot of car for your money,

Was thinking a Williams 1, or another valver first, but dont think ill find a decent willy 1, And ive already had a valver (f**kin loved it too):devilish:

Any other ideas?? Im 24 With 2 yrs NCB, so dont want anything thats grp20 insurance.

Erm yeah thats wot im thinking, Anyone live near to Birmingham thats gots a Williams and can take me for a spin;)

Remapped derv Golf

Well my choice would be an Evo 2 but like you say no group 20s!

What about a 306 GTi-6?

Of course a willy would also be high on the list!!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Get something that can be tuned easily when you get bored. You WILL get bored once your used to the power.

I really think you should be looking at something with a turbo as the tunability is endless.

With your age and NCB a group 20 car such as a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth would be less than £1,500 - a Williams in group 17 wont be far off and yet the performance difference is a huge huge step up.

What about a Cavalier 4x4 turbo or a Calibra? Could get a total minter with that money and theyre same group as a Williams. They only need a little tweeking to get them up to standard Cossie spec.

Or a 200sx turbo - sure theyre only about group 17 or 18?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 07 July 2004

fiat coupe 20v turbo ?

grp 19, but i got qouted 810 f/c and im 23 with 2 yrs ncb.
Thats a class quote - whered you get that from?

Cheapest quote I got for the impending Cossie was aprox £1,500 tpft and Im 23 with 2yncb?

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Actually just looking at the Fiat 20v turbo on autotrader - theyre well well cheap!!

Whats the performance, spec and other issues like on these?

Yeah been looking at the coupe 20v turbo, Quite cheap to but but well expensive to maintain, I got a quote of £821 for the coupe.

I think im still edging towards the Willy tho.

172 Exclusive

Get the williams ya know ya want to

I would not go near a fiat there are more unreliable than french cars now i know all of you on here would agree that its hard to get more unreliable than french cars

Williams. ;)

There are a lot of cars Id look at for 5k.. but I think the Williams is one of the better choices.

"6th Best Car of the last Decade."

"The Ultimate Clio"

"Best Hot Hatch Ever"

Takes some doing to get quotes like that.. :D

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I wouldnt buy another Clio now, had a 1.4rt and now got a 1.8 16v and just dont think one could keep me happy now.

Def getting big turbo power next!!

Mk2 172

Cant tell weather you mean another car as a second car, or a replacement for your current one.

If it is a second car, then 5k will get you a decent kit car for the summer. look at e-bay or findit, or look at some of the kit car mags for ones for sale.

Yaris Hybrid

Keep your current motor and get a brand new 600cc sports bike as you can pick them up for that price just before the new year models come out. Then you can see what real performance is like.

£5k for a second hand motor with decent performance (ie better than wot u already have) will get you something well shafted - seen too many mates who have been like "wow you can get a Supra/Impreza for £5k" and then when they get it they end up spending another 5k in the first year as just about everything needs replacing and it goes through 5 litres of oil a month!!!

K20 EG Hatch

punto gt....

not many ppl really like em, i love the look of em and sound they make is awesome!

I sold my Williams recently and am picking up a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo tomorrow - so I think Im fairly qualified to comment on the two!

I originally looked into the 20VT last summer when Id sold my Valver, but the teenage dream of owning a Williams and prohibitive insurance put it on the back burner. In the meantime then, I owned probably one of the nicest examples of a Williams and it definitely lived up to all the hype.

If youve had a 16V and you loved it, then youll go crackers about a Williams. The 16V is 95% of the Williams and actually has more desirable equipement (leather, electrics etc), but this thinking doesnt tell you what the Willy is about. Trust me, from a drivers point of view down your favourite B-road the Williams is somewhere between 10% and 50% better than the 16V (already a legend in itself). BUT - theres not much point in getting a Williams if you wont benefit from this, because in mundane day-to-day use the experience is very close to a noisier, less comfortable 16V.

With my insurance coming up and the best time of year for selling upon us, I sold my Williams. I was sad to lose a fantastic example of a classic car, but Im glad to have owned one and am moving on now. The Williams is a great - but there are others I want to own too (e.g. Delta Integrale). It also happens that right now I need a car that can do bigger miles more comfortably.

Hence, I returned to the idea of a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo. Its comfortable, stylish and IIRC its still the most rapid FWD factory car ever made - see this for a comparison with the E36 M3 Evolution http://homepage.ntlworld.com/edperryman/Ccarticle1.JPGhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/edperryman/Ccarticle1.JPG. The spec you get is incredible: four-pot Brembos, LSD, incredible pace, excellent equipment and even good build quality! Prices begin at £4,500 for a resasonable early car. A well maintained one will do spaceship miles without troubles, but a dog will bite you on the bum with very, very big bills. Thats what scared me off to start, but on doing the sums and spending time on http://www.forum.fccuk.orgwww.forum.fccuk.org, the costs are about the same as with a Williams if you buy carefully. The driving experience obviously cant match a Williams down B-roads, but its surprisingly close and it has it licked in most other areas.

The 20VT insurance grouping varies between 17 and 20, depending who you listed to and whether its one of the special editions. My insurance works out at about £100 more a year over the Williams. Remember that IGs are mainly a guide for new cars (costs of replacing parts etc) and insurers revise their ratings individually as time goes on and patterns in claims become apparent. This explains the variation in quotes.

I pick mine up tomorrow and am happy to give more detailed comparisons if anyone wants to PM me. I bought my late 1998 "S" plater for £4,800 and have therefore walked away from the Williams with cash to spare!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Im getting a Cossie more than likely but if that fails Ill be looking in to the 20vt - was suprised at the price you can get them for.

Can you send me some pics Ben? Inside and out etc, my email address is in my profile!

Yea when you get it post up some pics of engine, interior, outside, etc.

Maybe i could find a nice cheap 16v then either turbo it or put the willy engine into it? Wots the average cost of doin this? I know sourcing a willy lump is difficult aint it? And is GDI the place to go?
[Edited by Black16v on 08 July 2004 at 10:44am]

the reason i mentioned the 20v turbo is because im thinking of getting one,

the quote i got was with elephant, i also went on confused & there price wasnt far off elephants.

Ben, im going to message you mate, as im still after a bit more info on one.

Just like you Ben, ive also opted for the 20v Turbo. Picking it up on saturday. Whats the mileage on the one your getting? Cambelt & all that done?

Dave.

Dai - mines on 65k with the cambelt change not done. I think the price of £4.8k I paid for it reflects that and it seems to be in very good nick otherwise. Its Sprint Blue.

Interestingly, the 20VT is faster than the Cossie clan in standard form.

Ill get some pics up soon - not taken any yet!

clio 20v

i kno my valver aint exactly standard with a 2.0, coilovers, 4-pots and 60shot of nos wen i feel the need

but after drivin a 200sx, 340hp evo 7, 330ci bm , 225hp audi tt , 8v delta integrale, 2.0 nova , 5 turbo , saff cossie and quite a lot of other cars id rather own the clio than any of them

sure the evo was the quickest but was too expensive too run an people who went in it expected it too be fast they raved more about mine than that

i can honestly say tho only the evo matched mine on the bends the clio handles very well

adi

Nice one for the ideas/comments guys. Id ideally like a fast small car cus im only a small person myself and id look a bit stupid in a Skyline or a 200sx:oops:

Im still swaying towards a willy cus i havent heard one bad comment about one + Id like to go thru the experience of driving one TBO before its to late. Im just gonna have to be patient and wait for the right one to come along. Ideally a Willy 1, but if not id go for the willy 3.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Have you got something against the Williams 2?? No sunroof to leak (like the 3) and the better (imo) looks of the phase 2, best of both worlds.