ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup > 182 FF

RB 182 195bhp
As above really, I've currently got a 172 cup with k-tec coilovers, exhaust and induction kit, its done 98k and is generally pretty tidy. I've had it a year now and fancy a change, having looked at astra vxr's, golf r32's and similar I've decided none of them will really be as fun as the clio, plus the running costs are much more for the performance. Essentially I want the same feeling as my cup but with leather seats, xenons, ac and abit lower millage really. I do love the cup, I went to view a FF 182 today, and pretty much fell in love. Unfortunatly the seller isn't interested in p/x, but I'm just wondering if the change will be a mistake after the novelty of 'its a new car' wears off or if it would be a decent upgrade. Cheers in advance

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 182 doesn't drive the same. Felt flat to the cup. Only kept mine for 6months. No point IMO

RB 182 195bhp
I could afford a 197, but tbh I don't see the point in the extra money for no gains in performance and dramatic drops in economy. I know they are great cars, but not for me. Why did the 182 feel flat? I thought the power would make up for the weight gains?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Power? 182's make the same as most other 'healthy' 172's.

My Cup 'feels' more nimble than my three other RS'. All placebo affect no doubt but the lack of aircon not drawing anything away and drop in weight (50-60kg's iirc) is probably why. Stick with it. Renault Sport Clios are not built for comfort ime.

RB 182 FF
I wouldn't say the FF 182 is 'flat' compared to a 172 cup! I think it totally depends on the individual cars, one friend of mine had a 172 cup and it was no more impressive than my FF 182, infact my 182 felt like it pulled better! And my other mate had a FF 172 and that felt completely flat... I think that had been neglected over the years TBH. I'd say get a minty fresh FF 182 and enjoy cheap, comfortable performance motoring! :D

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I personally went for the FF as its not just a weekend toy. I use the Ac to demist the windows quickly. I use the cruse control most of the time as I travel on a lot of A roads. I love the automatic headlights and windscreen wipers. I like the half leather seats. I would miss all these in a cup model for very little gain. Plus I can have all the mentioned and still be faster then a cup model as each engine is unique on the amount of power it delivers. Mine has made 180bhp twice on 2 different rollers, so quite a strong engine. Some may only make 170.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Put the xenons and seats in your cup. Aircon isn't with it for the 3 weeks a year you'd use it.

This. Wouldnt cost too much to do, and you can use whatever you have saved to freshen up things like bottom arms, ball joints and ARB bushes so it feels better

172 Cup
Everyone knows the 172 Cup is the best out of all the Clios.
It's lighter than the 182 and nearly as light as a Ph1 and the engine has way more torque and they always picked the best engines for the Cups and they make more than the advertised power it's a fact and they are much much much faster and respond better to tuning and because they have no aircon there is even more power because a normal 172 uses some power to drive the AC compressor even when AC is off and its cheaper to get the belts done because no AC.
172 Cup is BEST EVER
/thread

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
It's lighter than the 182 and nearly as light as a Ph1 and the engine has way more torque and they always picked the best engines for the Cups and they make more than the advertised power it's a fact and they are much much much faster and respond better to tuning and because they have no aircon there is even more power because a normal 172 uses some power to drive the AC compressor even when AC is off and its cheaper to get the belts done because no AC.
172 Cup is BEST EVER
/thread

Absolutely have to be trolling with that, have to be.

PB Clio 172
172 Cup is BEST EVER
/thread

hope this is a joke

172 Cup
Nope, stone cold serious.
The splitter gives it 20% more downforce and reduces drag and because it doesn't have a CD changer or aircon or xenons it has a smaller alternator so it has less parasitic loss so even though the flywheel power is the same as a normal 172 the wheel power is more. The Cup chassis is also fully seam welded.
All you non-Cup owners are just jealous.

I love how people get to a post they don't like and instantly type out an angry response without reading any further.

Nope, stone cold serious.
The splitter gives it 20% more downforce and reduces drag and because it doesn't have a CD changer or aircon or xenons it has a smaller alternator so it has less parasitic loss so even though the flywheel power is the same as a normal 172 the wheel power is more. The Cup chassis is also fully seam welded.
All you non-Cup owners are just jealous.

I love how people get to a post they don't like and instantly type out an angry response without reading any further.

So all of us that have Skoda Splitter on our Luxury 172's, we still get 20% more down force ? :p