ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup track toy build

Made a start on the epas wiring, opened the power connection plug and managed to get new cable in there to cut down on the number of joints, managed to stab myself in the thumb doing it lol
A0E7785D-B9DD-411A-AF14-4B3E041F04DD_zps597smqod.jpg

New steering column spacers
29DD4A4B-E539-4D28-8258-55D2FDF4F78A_zpslil2rncv.jpg

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Fuse looks a bit close to the ecu - think it needs to be near the battery!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ah fair enough! Was the longacre easy to fit? Ive got one and a holesaw to fit under the scuttle tray!

Ah fair enough! Was the longacre easy to fit? Ive got one and a holesaw to fit under the scuttle tray!

yeah, easy enough, luckily I already had the right hole saw, I put some silicone round it to make sure it was well sealed too. Glad I didn't bodge it with a grommet now I can lift the epas power off it :)

172, BMW 650i & X5
20160416_115846.jpg
Meanwhile in Banbridge...
Half the mileage (previous blew at 160k)
Opportunity for more weight savings with the trusty angle grinder. Decided the doors look a bit fat so ripping out the butchers knife once again...
Autograss giving me ideas again...

View attachment 153295 Meanwhile in Banbridge...
Half the mileage (previous blew at 160k)
Opportunity for more weight savings with the trusty angle grinder. Decided the doors look a bit fat so ripping out the butchers knife once again...
Autograss giving me ideas again...

Superb, did you get the engine locally?! Not done anything to do mine, had a piece of metal removed from my left eye last Wednesday, not 100% sure I'll be there tomorrow, my vision is fine but feels like I've got serious eye strain :( Not even washed it since the last day out lol

172, BMW 650i & X5
Superb, did you get the engine locally?! Not done anything to do mine, had a piece of metal removed from my left eye last Wednesday, not 100% sure I'll be there tomorrow, my vision is fine but feels like I've got serious eye strain 😧 Not even washed it since the last day out lol
Got the engine in Preston & shipped over with pallet way for £70. 83k on this one which was Ph2 so we'll see how she goes. Sitting ready on hoist but putting a new clutch in to be on the safe side. I'll drop it in next sat and if I have time get her wired up and running. No rush though, taking things easy enough at DOE pace.
Bad news on the eye bud, had that myself a few years back and got headaches in bright sunlight for a week or 2. Did pass though but know what you mean ref strain. I have a bad habit of forgetting goggles when grinding...
Really starting to take an interest in the Rallycross Revival, might go up next weekend for a further nosey. A lot cheaper day out too, and closer. Hmmm...

Got the engine in Preston & shipped over with pallet way for £70. 83k on this one which was Ph2 so we'll see how she goes. Sitting ready on hoist but putting a new clutch in to be on the safe side. I'll drop it in next sat and if I have time get her wired up and running. No rush though, taking things easy enough at DOE pace.
Bad news on the eye bud, had that myself a few years back and got headaches in bright sunlight for a week or 2. Did pass though but know what you mean ref strain. I have a bad habit of forgetting goggles when grinding...
Really starting to take an interest in the Rallycross Revival, might go up next weekend for a further nosey. A lot cheaper day out too, and closer. Hmmm...

DOE pace lmao
Rallycross looked like fun, bit hard on the car though, non contact.........eeerrr nope

Decided to run my cam stuck to the side of my helmet (!) yesterday for the 1st session to see how it looked, forgot to turn it on until half way round the 2nd lap lol I think I'll use this more in the future, bit more of a sensation of speed than the cage mount, might make some heads spin though! New tyres on, meant to be taking it easy, easier said than done!

Clio sport 172
Decided to run my cam stuck to the side of my helmet (!) yesterday for the 1st session to see how it looked, forgot to turn it on until half way round the 2nd lap lol I think I'll use this more in the future, bit more of a sensation of speed than the cage mount, might make some heads spin though! New tyres on, meant to be taking it easy, easier said than done!

Defiently looks a better position of the car on the hemlet great video

Made a start on fitting the epas this evening,

Strip down
4f29aca612f74096fe52871580ffc214_zpsuahbridt.jpg

Column gone
15cb62bcd5eca8e2986a6e61f116f69d_zpsyrrqum7w.jpg

Really enjoyed getting the motor back on and tightened :rage:
8bc5a491148241348ede2b6b60fa9c77_zpsvazlboeg.jpg

Ecu earthed here
ccb0d4bba8f1bc051b571c96ef137ddb_zpswc4urk0g.jpg

More when I've time, hopefully get a couple of hours free tomorrow

Great video above! Looks great from that angle, think im gonna fix my somehow to my wrap around seat similar to that position!

Tight fit getting the epas motor in isnt it!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Great video above! Looks great from that angle, think im gonna fix my somehow to my wrap around seat similar to that position!

Tight fit getting the epas motor in isnt it!!

Thanks! :up: Definitely better than the cage mount IMO

Hope the epas motor actually works, not doing that again lol 🙈

Thanks! :up: Definitely better than the cage mount IMO

Hope the epas motor actually works, not doing that again lol 🙈
Should do mate, pretty hard to go wrong! Although im still umming and arring whther my motor is on its way out as was a bit on and off under breaking/turn in on track.. hey ho

What have I done!? Had it out for a blast to test the epas.....I really don't like the way it feels, bit numb and overall a bit weird, the assistance is odd :confused: It's definitely lost something. Maybe it'll make sense on track, but the only way I could get a setting liveable on the road was about 5 degrees from off. I'm going to change the track rod ends (not really needed but not been done in my ownership!) and have the alignment done again and try again!

172, BMW 650i & X5
What have I done!? Had it out for a blast to test the epas.....I really don't like the way it feels, bit numb and overall a bit weird, the assistance is odd :confused: It's definitely lost something. Maybe it'll make sense on track, but the only way I could get a setting liveable on the road was about 5 degrees from off. I'm going to change the track rod ends (not really needed but not been done in my ownership!) and have the alignment done again and try again!
1) Dump all associated PAS
2) Dump or sell all associated EPAS
3) Eat extra egg
4) Hammer on regardless!
5) Relax in knowledge you've less weight and less parts

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's very strange Mark. Of course the assistance is at a set level and doesn't change with speed. I found that I like it'd about 25% on although I haven't driven my car for ages so can't exactly remember. I have a problem with mine at the moment where the steering is incredibly light in the centre and then normal resistance past a certain point. Check for play in the column UJs. It should feel the same though as mechanically you haven't lost anything. Assume you've blocked off all four ports on the pinion and haven't left any of the other pipes connected other than the loop.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Try removing the loop pipe or making up 2 separate pipes that are open to atmosphere. It could be hydraulic pressure building up.
Yeah we had that problem with @Martin. 's rack when it was first looped. Could turn it a bit then the pressure stopped it and when it then dropped you could move it more. Felt notchy.

1) Dump all associated PAS
2) Dump or sell all associated EPAS
3) Eat extra egg
4) Hammer on regardless!
5) Relax in knowledge you've less weight and less parts

Lol It may come to that, I'll see what it's like on track :)

That's very strange Mark. Of course the assistance is at a set level and doesn't change with speed. I found that I like it'd about 25% on although I haven't driven my car for ages so can't exactly remember. I have a problem with mine at the moment where the steering is incredibly light in the centre and then normal resistance past a certain point. Check for play in the column UJs. It should feel the same though as mechanically you haven't lost anything. Assume you've blocked off all four ports on the pinion and haven't left any of the other pipes connected other than the loop.

Try removing the loop pipe or making up 2 separate pipes that are open to atmosphere. It could be hydraulic pressure building up.

The assistance isn't changing, rack doesn't feel like it's locking up either, it's just odd, the car feels different, bit less feel, bit of a dead spot in a straight line too, I can feel the motor and it just doesn't feel natural! Definitely no play in the joints, gave them some abuse before I went near the car :) the 4 ports are blanked, but I'll remove the loop to see if there's a difference, thanks for the suggestion :up: