ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

RS172 Flamer
Brilliant thread! Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing the power gains from the mapping :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Take your phone to update with tomorrow as im only online tomorrow and then off to the ring and spa for 5 days and dont want to have to wait till i get back to find out the figures, lol

HBT 172 Cup
Take your phone to update with tomorrow as im only online tomorrow and then off to the ring and spa for 5 days and dont want to have to wait till i get back to find out the figures, lol

I live in the dark ages, my £10 samsung mobile doesnt have internet capabilitys unfortunately :p I won't be home to update until at least 8-9pm id imagine. You'll just have to wait! :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I live in the dark ages, my £10 samsung mobile doesnt have internet capabilitys unfortunately :p I won't be home to update until at least 8-9pm id imagine. You'll just have to wait! :p

Lol, thats ok, our ferry isnt actually till friday morning, so I will check on my phone before we leave while I still have free UK data. :)

Hope it goes well for you mate :)

HBT 172 Cup
Thanks

Q: Do i trust my car to make it to Ktec and back without any sort of mechanic mishap?

A:

DSC01824Custom.jpg

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
I know where your coming from, when I did the lpt conversion on mine I was stressing all the way to Leeds from Birmingham, and then when it's going for it on the rollers :dead:

All will be fine, looking forward to good figures.

Good luck!

HBT 172 Cup
Im knackered so i wont go into details, ill do a write up tommorow.

First power run @ ~12.5psi

271bhp.jpg

Backed down to 0.7bar to be safer.

255bhp.jpg

Good figures im sure you will agree, but i have no doubt whatsoever people will question them and say they are BS.

It does go like a scalded cat though :race:

Wish I had the knowhow to do this to my 172 track car. Would love that extra oomph on track! Well done. How much roughly has it cost you for the conversion?

HBT 172 Cup
Glad it went well ! Don't make the mistake I did and fitted 17s lol

Haha no plans to add 17's. Glad to see your old turbo still has some backbone after 6 years!? I had a brief look at the underside of your car at Ktec today, got yourself quite some project there fella!

HBT 172 Cup
Wish I had the knowhow to do this to my 172 track car. Would love that extra oomph on track! Well done. How much roughly has it cost you for the conversion?

Im not sure it would be as great as you think on track, i think id personally stick to N/A for a track car IMHO. Its cost me about £3.5k, £500 of that i probably wasted on crap i didnt even need. Needs about another £1k to take it to its final 300bhp spec, then im done with "tuning" for a while :p

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Awesome figures, that's like 9psi isn't it? Quite high for standard ccompression isn't it? Either way fair play to you mate

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
Haha no plans to add 17's. Glad to see your old turbo still has some backbone after 6 years!? I had a brief look at the underside of your car at Ktec today, got yourself quite some project there fella!

We all make mistakes lol .
yes it is tho haven't see it for ages hope it's coming along now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not sure it would be as great as you think on track, i think id personally stick to N/A for a track car IMHO. Its cost me about £3.5k, £500 of that i probably wasted on crap i didnt even need. Needs about another £1k to take it to its final 300bhp spec, then im done with "tuning" for a while :p
First day you do somewhere like Combe in it you might change your mind. Lol.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Thats good power for stock internals and fuel set up! Well done.

Of course your gonna get people calling it BS but thats on the basis of all the other LPT conversions that haven't got anywhere near that. Take mine for example, i only made 206bhp and even with the full forged lump it only made 267bhp. So they are very impressive figures in comparison.

It's suprising how late your hitting full boost, on my similar set up I was hitting full boost @4000rpm even when moving upto a gt28rs/2871r I was still getting full boost @4500rpm so for yours to hit 9psi at 5500rpm is a bit poor. This could be down to you having a large turbo but is more than likely down to you just using the actuator as your boost control. You'll find that the actuator is being partially opened as the boost is building up, why don't you get a boost solenoid as this then blocks any pressure being seen at the actuator untill the pre set pressure is reached, this helps keep the actuator/wastegate closed and should allow faster spool up. I've been assured in the past by Andy at Ktec that the gen90 has this facility so it should be a fairly straight forward fit. Other things I'd definitely upgrade is the fuel system to return setup unless you've already did this since your last PM.

All in though it's nice to see turbo conversions still proving to be as good if not better than SC conversions :)

HBT 172 Cup
HI Steve thanks for commenting.

Regarding the boost, yes its slightly strange setup, it works well but does have some compromise.

The turbos only control is through the actuator, there no not bleed valves or manual boost controllers. THe actuator is a brand new -31 costworth garrett one rated to 8psi, it has a hefty spring on it that certainly isnt susceptible to boost creep.

What was found after pressure testing it with a handy piece of kit was that it was opening too soon, and likely to only give around 4psi at peak, which would have been no good.

The actuator was given some more preload, and the ECU was then used as a negative boost control by means of capping the throttle. i.e you punch the throttle at 3k it would normally spike to say 15psi?, isntaed the throttle is say capped to 50% to restric boost (even though your foot is flat to the floor). and this way you can control the boost to pretty much any level below the actuator setting.

The boost is purposefully bought in gradually in my case to help save the shock loading on the gearbox and clutch.

It became aparent after it was tested that

It's suprising how late your hitting full boost, on my similar set up I was hitting full boost @4000rpm even when moving upto a gt28rs/2871r I was still getting full boost @4500rpm so for yours to hit 9psi at 5500rpm is a bit poor. This could be down to you having a large turbo but is more than likely down to you just using the actuator as your boost control. You'll find that the actuator is being partially opened as the boost is building up, why don't you get a boost solenoid as this then blocks any pressure being seen at the actuator untill the pre set pressure is reached, this helps keep the actuator/wastegate closed and should allow faster spool up. I've been assured in the past by Andy at Ktec that the gen90 has this facility so it should be a fairly straight forward fit. Other things I'd definitely upgrade is the fuel system to return setup unless you've already did this since your last PM.