ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

HBT 172 Cup
Missing pieces to the puzzle turned up today!

GEN90 and JR Filter ER-7002.

DOnt know whether to try and make some air filter heatshield out of nimbus, or if ill be wasting my time?

DSC01810%20(Custom)_zps7b0a18c4.jpg

DSC01811%20(Custom)_zpsa756fa25.jpg

DSC01812%20(Custom)_zpsaa5905f7.jpg

Countdown to mapping begins :)

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Super tidy engine bay, I've read this from the start and looking forward to the mapping results. It's something I've been seriously looking into doing.... But scared to actually take the plunge!

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Looking good, regarding the "controversial pipe" chrome heat soaks quite bad in comparision to wrap/black, you can barely touch mine after a spirited drive.

Hope it makes good power, the gen90 will help.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looking good, regarding the "controversial pipe" chrome heat soaks quite bad in comparision to wrap/black, you can barely touch mine after a spirited drive.

The laws of physics disagrees with you there TBH mate, shiney light coloured surfaces reflect heat, where as dark matt finishes absorb and radiate far better.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
1 question that springs to mind regarding all these turbo conversions, does anyone know what charge temps they have when giving it full beans. Just thinking out loud after hot intake pipes were mentioned

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
1 question that springs to mind regarding all these turbo conversions, does anyone know what charge temps they have when giving it full beans. Just thinking out loud after hot intake pipes were mentioned

Mine runs about 40 degrees inlet temp on a summers evening (ie 20+ outside temp in first place) when out mapping, no doubt a little higher on a short track like llandow during the day though, and obv lower in the winter.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Chip, is that with the Focus FMIC in place? I was just wondering how efficient these universal intercoolers that are on E Bay for the Clio and K Tecs FMiC. 1 can assume that on low boost with the FMIC size there might not be anything to worry about or whether a little R&D went into charge temps, I/C dimension, core efficiency etc

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes mine is a focus ST intercooler.

The cheap universal intercoolers dont work as well as a decent quality (ie OEM) one of the same size based on the testing we have done, if you want a cheap cooler you are better off with a secondhand one from another car than an 80 quid ebay job that needs to be far bigger to work as well IMHO

Obviously if funds arent an issue get someone like Spec-R to custom make you one with the latest garrett core, its mental how small they can be and work well, Ive got mates with 500bhp cossies that have been able to go smaller on their intecoolers with no ill effects thanks to the latest core technology, but expect a bill of 800 quid or so!
(this is the route I will probably go down with my Mk1 TBH)

HBT 172 Cup
Mine is a universal Toyosport jobby, by all acounts not the best quality or cooling ability. But i gave them a google, and apart from fitment issues (not an issue for me as its universal and not car specific), they aparently keep the charge temps down quite well.

The intercooler i have is literally on the limit of what is going to fit behind the front bumper though.

Id love a Forge item, or something expensive and fancy, but ill see what the charge temps are when mapping and report back :) and then if im struggling with that upgrade to a better item.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Given that you are standard CR still, and hence boost limited, I dont think charge temps will be a big problem for you on the road TBH (might be a bit more on the dyno though as obviously less airflow)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
When I built my MX-5 turbo it used a Link ECU so I had a IAT sensor just before the throttle body.

I had a cheapo intercooler off the bay and it was brilliant. Never really got to be more than 10 degrees above ambient.

If it was really cold outside you could get an intake temp in the minus range.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Mine is a universal Toyosport jobby, by all acounts not the best quality or cooling ability. But i gave them a google, and apart from fitment issues (not an issue for me as its universal and not car specific), they aparently keep the charge temps down quite well.

The intercooler i have is literally on the limit of what is going to fit behind the front bumper though.

Id love a Forge item, or something expensive and fancy, but ill see what the charge temps are when mapping and report back :) and then if im struggling with that upgrade to a better item.

I've used a larger version of the same thing on 200sx's, they're fine, Probably better available, but it's questionable if you need it for the power and boost you'll run.

It will get hot on the dyno no matter what, fans just can't replicate the airflow you get on the road.

I also painted my intercooler in matt black

HBT 172 Cup
Top PTFE gasket fitted today again with the idea being "every degree less, helps!", decided against the lower as i DIY matched my inlets when i had my engine in pieces and ended up porting too much and then had to port the head out to match and the lower gasket so don't want to ever touch those again where possible.

Pissed right off fitted new filter drove it a couple of days and it has slipped off the end of the pipe (through engine movement i guess), and torn the flimsy rubber neck right off. So i've had to pikey it with a piece of silicon hose and black silicon sealed it onto the filter, not happy at all (but i guess its my own fault).

Also took it for a quick drive earlier with the wastegate hooked up to test the turbo (i couldnt resist the urge anymore), only took it up to 2-3psi with minial throttle for split seconds but it works as it should and makes the fruity compressor stall noises :) Wastegate now dissconected again lol.

You'll also notice below i "stud'n'nut" converted the top plenum fixture points, i did this 1) i was bored 2) i get a little nervous about tightening as i know it wouldnt take much to strip them. 3) wanted to tighten them pretty tight for extra clamping on PTFE gasket. All works well :)

DSC01813Custom_zps55259c4e.jpg

DSC01814Custom_zps863b5fa5.jpg

DSC01815Custom_zps0240a7b2.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Nice im having a low pressure turbo fitted by Engine Dynamics in oct, and a remap, are you going to remap yours?

An engine calibration toi suit the turbo setup is mandatory you'd melt the engine pretty at full throttle without one. As above its booked at Ktec on 4th October.

Nice, any one know the difference between the Garret turbo and the T28 / T25 Hybrid Turbo Charger??

Turbocharger model numbers confuse the fook out of me, sooo many different variants. But i would take a stab at saying the T28 will have a bigger compressor and turbine than a T25. But the T25 Hybrid would have a T28 compressor while keeping the smaller T25 turbine. Therefore giving it a slightly bigger flow capacity.

Made a headshield this afternoon out of boredom.

DSC01816Custom_zps06927ab6.jpg

DSC01818Custom_zps728481ca.jpg

DSC01817Custom_zpscaa7c51a.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice im having a low pressure turbo fitted by Engine Dynamics in oct, and a remap, are you going to remap yours?

Standard map sensor maxes out atmospheric pressure, so if you run boost, it will go very lean and hence melt very quickly.

HBT 172 Cup
Ktec mounts fitted this evening, old ones were no doubt the originals and showing their age a bit. Car already has a polybushed dog bone.

But i decided the OE mounts will soon wear out with the extra torque, aswell as putting strain on the downpipe from any extra movement. Uprated mounts was a no brainer.

Oil change tommorow, then its ready to go to Ktec :)

DSC01820Custom.jpg

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Great progress Laine. Nice heatshield - nimbus is so nice to work with isn't it.

Shame about the filter:( I tried to get hold of one of those for our car but Jetex didn't have stock so went for the piperx instead.

HBT 172 Cup
Yeah nimbus is great stuff, love the fact you can cut it with kitchen sccisors :D Just watch out for the edges, they can be SHARP!

Yeah the silicon didnt last long the filters pulled off, im going to try some strong adhesive tommorow as a last resort, f**king hate ruining brand new things. I must have had the last one from the Jetex stock? lol

May replace with the pipercross, but always been told a turbo should be run with a cotton gauze, but guess it doesnt *really* matter.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
No that its a major thing as it cant flow much air but its a good idea to block off the pin prick hole in stainer plate. Although a very small amount you dont really want to blow boost into the crankcase.

HBT 172 Cup
No that its a major thing as it cant flow much air but its a good idea to block off the pin prick hole in stainer plate. Although a very small amount you dont really want to blow boost into the crankcase.

Never though of that! valid point, i need to get some super duper glue later as the black silicon didnt hold the make shift neck on my air filter. so ill glue up the the hole later aswell :)

stevo172-RWD

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 rwd
When the car is up to temperature there is a constant flow to the header tank, enough to cool the turbo. I know of at least 4 turbocharged clios that used the top thermostat housing outlet as the coolant feed for the turbo and have no issues, and one of them has been turbo'd since the year 2000.

I am not changing the route.
That's how mine ran too

172 cup, Impreza P1
That's how mine ran too

The way I understand it, it is not about flow of coolant through the turbo when it is running, it is the syphon effect when the engine is off. If you use the feed from the thermostat to the header tank for your turbo, there is an air gap at the top of the header tank and so the syphon effect will not happen and so when the engine is off there will be no heat removal from the turbo. It is the oil that cools the turbo when in use.