ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup vs 106 gti

Clio DCi 100
Which has the better handling?

I know the cups are meant to be good but hows the steering? my dci feels kinda vague thru the wheels whereas my old pug has excellent feedback from the wheel.

Did the reno sport make fast improvements cos the pugs obviously less powerful and slower, but probs a fair amount lighter

discuss

I've driven both, and the Cup is in a different league.

The 106 is nippy (the one i drove was lowered) and handled well, but its not as good.

The clio RS's are miles better than the DCi's! (I own a DCi 65)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Which has the better handling?

I know the cups are meant to be good but hows the steering? my dci feels kinda vague thru the wheels whereas my old pug has excellent feedback from the wheel.

Did the reno sport make fast improvements cos the pugs obviously less powerful and slower, but probs a fair amount lighter

discuss

Your DCi has electrically assistend steering.

The RS models have hydraulic assistance to give better feel/feedback.

lol at comparing a dci to a cup.

I've had a 106 gti, and a 172FF and 182FF with cup packs. Not driven a 172 cup.

But I'd say the 182 with cup packs is a better car, though the 106 was better than the 172FF.

Clio DCi 100
so really its a matter of opinion lol

lol yeah i know teh dci comparision was a silly one, its just cos much a i love my clio i find it a chunky chundersome car & mines the dci 100 with the dynamique thingy lol

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
I rated my old GTi on Bilstens above anything i've driven including my properly set up westfield.

Although my old XSi on spax was shocking!

182 FF & 306 Rallye
Yeah the 106's handle superbly. Steering is more communicative than the Clio too imo.

I had a track prep'd 16v S2 Rallye but I really fancy getting a standard 106 gti sometime.

172Petey

I rated my old GTi on Bilstens above anything i've driven including my properly set up westfield.

Although my old XSi on spax was shocking!

My old saxo VTR was on bilsteins and custom made springs, that handled the actuall muts!! Steering on the 106/saxo is great and has a great feel to it but is slightly too "assisted" the clio gives you much more feed back from the road and is more like non power assisted.

Then you get the variable assistance on the 197...........EEEUUUUUUUUGHHHH :headno:

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
The 106 gti is basically the same as a saxo, my saxo handled far better than my 182 ff, cant see a 172 cup been significantly better.

Clio DCi 100
I know this is gettin onto a differnt thread but how come the saxo VTS is always quoted as bein nearly 1 sec quicker to 60 than the pug gti & yet they're essentially the same?

They quote the pug 0-60 at around like 8.4 secs - my chipped diesels pacier than that! :S I want mid 7's really like claied from the VTS - except i don't want a VTS i wont a pug lol

Black 172 FF
Ive driven a 172 Cup, 182FF , 182 Cup and my own 172FF and none of them gave the pleasure, feedback or experiance that my Rallye gave me...

But the clios are little faster, safer, and the whole set up seems to have been set up so its a safter car to drive on the limit.. where as my rallye was just as happy oversteering as it was understeering on the track... there was a fine balance between in control and going off backwards into something :eek:

They will never make cars like the 205GTI , 106 Rallye / GTI again by todays standards there to unsafe... but thats what made them so good!

I know this is gettin onto a differnt thread but how come the saxo VTS is always quoted as bein nearly 1 sec quicker to 60 than the pug gti & yet they're essentially the same?

They quote the pug 0-60 at around like 8.4 secs - my chipped diesels pacier than that! :S I want mid 7's really like claied from the VTS - except i don't want a VTS i wont a pug lol

They are identical, apart from obvious things like lights, dash etc.

The reason is from what I've read, is Peugeot did the 0-60 tests with a full tank of fuel and a passenger to get the insurance grouping down. Where as Citroen did it with minimal fuel and just a driver.

106 is group 13, vts it group 14.

Not sure if it's the truth but is what I've read.

106 GTi
I have driven a few 106 GTis of late as I am planning on buying one, none have driven as well as the 182 it will potential replace.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner

They are identical, apart from obvious things like lights, dash etc.

The reason is from what I've read, is Peugeot did the 0-60 tests with a full tank of fuel and a passenger to get the insurance grouping down. Where as Citroen did it with minimal fuel and just a driver.

106 is group 13, vts it group 14.

Not sure if it's the truth but is what I've read.

Yup I've heard that before as well. Pug always do their 0-60s with 2 people and a full tank.

Dan

:)

I asked this same questions when I was deciding wether to buy a brand new vts or gti (1998) The citroen salesman told me the saxo held onto second gear better:S which I assumed meant a difference in gear ratios.

Anyhow I went for a gti, better image. interior (april 98 on) and better resale values. Just wish they didn't bring out the quicksilver:mad:

Clio DCi 100
Ar i see :) question about a former post, if the 106 will do 63 in 2nd gear, is that wot peugeot will hav done on the tests? cos presumably thats ragging the engine something chronic lol - a few too many of those and bang? no? :S

172Petey

The suspension setup is different on the GTi to the VTS and VTR. ARB are different size i think. So that makes it slightly different. Not sure on the Rallye but i would think thats like the GTi.

Bear in mind they all have tortion bar suspension and the clio has coil springs.

Saxo VTS
This questions seems to crop up a lot. Generaly a 172 is a superior car in terms of build quality and comfort. However a GTi/VTS comes in to it's own in terms of price and servicing. As has been said, the difference in quoted times between the 106 GTi and the Saxo VTS is the way the 0-60 runs were done. Both cars will hit 60 within about 7.5 seconds.

I have a Saxo VTS and my friend has a 172 Cup. His Cup deffo has more go in it and is very quick through the lanes but the Saxo isn't far behind and as for top speed there really was bugger all in it tbh.

The thing with the GTi/VTS is that they are very understated cars. They only have 120Bhp but have a solid engine that with choice mods can easily see 160Bhp which tbh is going to give a lot of cars a run for their money!

Compared to a 172FF it seems a GTi/VTS is pretty much on par with regards to straight line speed and through the twisties, however the 172FF has way more toys and is ultimatley more modern.

If I had the money I'd go for a Cup as they look nicer and are a bit more 'special' but other wise yeah, go for a GTi/VTS! Best car move I ever made. Even managed to convince my mate to get a GTi after he's been in my VTS and serviced he relaised how much fun it was :)

Hope that helps a bit.

JW

ITB 172 Cup & 197 FF
Yes GTI have a 24mm rear ARB, as do the S2 Rallyes.

The VTS comes with 19mm or 22mm i think.

I prefer the handling on my Cup to both of them imo.

Ph1 172
Has a VTS a few years ago, handling similar to the clio, but you fell much lower and more involved. My 172 ph1 feels and is alot quicker on the straights though and probably is quicker round the corners (just doesnt fell it).

Prefer the initial turn in of the clio though, really urgent