ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Cup Announced for uk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 01 September 2004

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 01 September 2004

Good idea IMO. The Cup thing definately worked with the 172, so itll work again with the 182.
true, but people bought them because of the better handling and lack of abs for track days etc, the 182 cup has none of this so unless you cant afford a full fat 182, what is the benefit?

its lighter. and you wouldnt feel so bad throwing the seats in the bin.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Well, I bought a new 172 Cup as it offered me the things I was wanting, but this is just not different enough to the normal 182 IMO.

Not much cheaper, not much lighter, visually the same, etc..

This could have been so much better!

Renault Laguna Coupe

Good idea IMO. The Cup thing definately worked with the 172, so itll work again with the 182.
true, but people bought them because of the better handling and lack of abs for track days etc, the 182 cup has none of this so unless you cant afford a full fat 182, what is the benefit?
Hmmm. A lot of people bought them because they were a bit cheaper, and the Cup thing had a hardcore image associated with it. Most (95%) never go near a track. Many Cup owners wish they had ABS.

At the end of the day it broadens the appeal of the range a bit, which is bound to increase sales. A 182 Cup will bestow serious bragging rights down at the pub!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Hmmm. A lot of people bought them because they were a bit cheaper, and the Cup thing had a hardcore image associated with it. Most (95%) never go near a track. Many Cup owners wish they had ABS.

At the end of the day it broadens the appeal of the range a bit, which is bound to increase sales. A 182 Cup will bestow serious bragging rights down at the pub!

True and in terms of value its a steal.

Lee

BMW M2C

I reckon theyve struck a good balance this time. It will appeal to a wider audience and shouldnt bother exisiting 182 owners in any way.

I dont think it will sell, for £900 you get all those extra bits with no loss of performance advantage. The 172 Cup at least felt a lot different to drive than the 172. Its already the bargain hot hatch after all, why get cheaper? Dont people who cant afford list price just go to the car supermarkets already?

-Rob

Ford Fiesta

lol, its not worth the price when you are missing out on all the goodies.

It wont be any quicker weighing 20KG less.

320d M Sport

Oh dear......

i think a 182 Cup was always going to happen. However, i really cant understand the point in making the interior so cheap? Emphasis on the outside/engine/handling is sporty, yet u sit in the inside and youll not know which version your in, it just wouldnt make me feel proud at all.

Then theres the black washer jet blockouts - WTF is that about?! Looks terrible.

Id say they should have cashed in on the 172Cups success and made it the same/slightly dearer than a 182 and added proper racing seats in the front, steering wheel etc.

Surely an extra grand on the car would be worth it if the interior matched the exterior...... looking at those pics it doesnt.

i wouldnt get one, youd be mad not to go for a 182 with Cup pack.

All IMO of course! lol

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Look at Toms original post and if you were spending that amount of money then its well worth the extra spent on a normal 182,thats a sh*tload of gear left off for not that much of a saving.

Does not bother me one bit and it would be interesting to see why someone would choose that over a normal 182,all that gear missing for only £900 less.No thank you.

Like i said on the other post,the 172 Cup had a point...i dont see how this has one.

golf

Wonder if thier going to issue the non-existant options for the "182 Cup" as they said they were doing for the 172 cup!!

Brake pads

Sports seats

Roll cage ect!!!!

Yaris Hybrid

I always thought the original Cup was supposed to be a hard core track day car that had been stripped out for uncompromised performance.

Exactly how "hard core" does a person think they are when their car has air conditioning!!

The AC would be the first thing I would strip out so why the heck have Renault left it in?!?!

This is just a poor mans 182 and you would have to be lacking in mental capacity as well as financial capacity to lose a couple of grands worth of gear for a saving of £900! This is just a way for Renault to widen their profit margins. Why else would they introduce another model when the current model has enough pre-orders to keep them building the car flat out until production stops next year!!!!!

Abarth 595 Trufeo

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1094062389__TEAM.jpg

I have ordered a 182 in Inferno with cup options - and YES I am a little bothered about this edition being available in the colour - I would prefer if it was offered in a non 182 colour with different wheels, as I imagine would the owners of the racing blue with cup options.

But as I want all the extras (ie) leather, xenons etc.. and I really like the colour - I didnt give this "cup?" edition a second thought, the only thought I had was to change the colour to Artic Blue, but as we also have a 172 cup & I feel the blues are just too similar... so around the 21st Oct I will take delivery of an Inferno 182 (fingers crossed).

H

Elise/VX220/R26

I agree, the best thing about the cup was the price tag and the fact it looks better than a 172 from the outside at least.

I think reno have managed to completely miss the point of the cup (new one has ABS !?) I think theyve focused too much on the price been a bit cheaper than creating a more driver foucessed (or driver appealing at least) model

noooo, racing blue will be known as the cheap mans clio now, there will be sh*t loads of them!!!!!!

At least I already have the cup badge on mine, but may have to remove that now incase people think I have the poor mans version

lol i was thinking of getting some little cup badges for mine also, dont think ill be bothering now ;)

personaly i think the new looks wheel, seats and heating controls look cheap and nasty.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 01 September 2004

Jonny I think all new cars have to come with ABS? (can anyone confirm this?)
Yep any car with production greater then 400/yr needsABS now.

Although everyone has gone about the saving Id guess it will be about 10% cheaper than a 182 with the cup bits (most people have opte for this spec). Since you can get 182 + cup bits for £13k although it depends a 182 cup will be ~£11.7k which is a bargin.

I take it youll be able to get imports of these from Motorpoint etc so maybe £11k for a 182 will be possible which isa true bragin IMO.

I was trying so hard not to spit this out but I simply must.

I believe Renault have COMPLETELY missed the point with this "ad hoc" cupped variant of RS 182. Call it TEAM, UK Cup, bla, bla.

Instead of preparing a real DRIVERS CAR, they will continue with few (not so cheaper) sub-wariants. They SHOULD do some additional twitches on standard/cupped 182 and offer their customers even greater joy.

By doing such marketing trickery, Renault Sport Technologies (or if you wish Reno) WILL NOT establish themselves as the premier French (European) hot-hatch maker. OK, they will sell some extra 182 but that is just about all.

BOTTOM LINE
Renaultsport Clios and Meganes will become JUST another Clios, Meganes from the price list. Check out the depreciation factor. Devastating!

GW Clio 200

I was hoping that the Racing Blue would have some exclusivity....but I dont care!!!

I hope those who buy it enjoy it as much as I enjoyed my 172 Cup...

We all have to look on the bright side, if Renault are going to continue making quick sporty hatchbacks at affordable prices then we all win!!!

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 01 September 2004

I agree, the best thing about the cup was the price tag and the fact it looks better than a 172 from the outside at least.

I think reno have managed to completely miss the point of the cup (new one has ABS !?) I think theyve focused too much on the price been a bit cheaper than creating a more driver foucessed (or driver appealing at least) model
i agree.

R

rich[182]

Somethings amiss here

Firstly IMO they should not have called the 182 + extras as the "182 with Cup Pack" it should have been called something else NOT referring to Cup at all

We will now have a 182 with Cup Pack and a 182 Cup - Thats marketing gone mad IMO

The new variant should also have different alloys at the very least ?

Quote: Originally posted by VaVaVoom 182 ? on 01 September 2004

By doing such marketing trickery, Renault Sport Technologies (or if you wish Reno) WILL NOT establish themselves as the premier French (European) hot-hatch maker. OK, they will sell some extra 182 but that is just about all.

BOTTOM LINE
Renaultsport Clios and Meganes will become JUST another Clios, Meganes from the price list. Check out the depreciation factor. Devastating!
At the end of the day Renault do well and since are a business thats all they need. Since magazines change there ideas about the best hot hatch every time a new one comes out it would be to expensive to keep the 182 etc as the best ever without implication other factors Im sure the ultimate hot hatch could be built but at a cost removing it from that market customer.

Renault dont care much about depreciation so long as there selling well and new people are always along to buy.

If I was buying a new RS Clio it would be a "normal" 182 without any shadow of a doubt!

The 172 Cup was something a bit different to the 172 the 182 Cup has the same wheels/suspension as a "normal" Cupd 182 and cant see any reason why someone would chose a 182 Cup over a 182, unless you can get them 2-3 k cheaper than a new 182.

The 172 Cup interior is bad enough but to take the piss and make it the same as a dynamic interior is a step to far.

[Edited by Neil82cup on 01 September 2004 at 10:38pm]

182 Full Fat

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 01 September 2004

imho....

The 172 Cup is a cult icon of the 172.
The 182 Cup is a poor mans version of the 182.
Well said mate. The 172 was a legend, the 172 cup was designed for the track being 89kgs lighter, This new 182 team is simply a poor mans 182, pointless!

I drive an artic blue 182 by the way!

What the hell is wrong with Renault..with such competition from other cars like the Cooper S and other models reasonably close on power...

Why not take this golden opportunity to do something different..like add 20 more horse power and have a stripped out Clio Sport with over 200bhp.

Id be back down the dealers tomorrow having a peak and maybe putting in an order.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 01 September 2004

Jonny I think all new cars have to come with ABS? (can anyone confirm this?)
Yeah, its the law now apparently...

Quote: Originally posted by VaVaVoom 182 ? on 01 September 2004

I was trying so hard not to spit this out but I simply must.

I believe Renault have COMPLETELY missed the point with this "ad hoc" cupped variant of RS 182. Call it TEAM, UK Cup, bla, bla.

Instead of preparing a real DRIVERS CAR, they will continue with few (not so cheaper) sub-wariants. They SHOULD do some additional twitches on standard/cupped 182 and offer their customers even greater joy.

BOTTOM LINE
spot on i think.

another thing - renault must ensure that they do not p*ss off their loyal supporters in selling themselves to the masses. The exclusivity of the "sport" part of Renaultsport could start wearing thin.

Loyal supporters such as the majority of people on this forum already struggle with build quality and Dealership support, let alone getting renault diluting the "sport" brand and "cup" brand by putting Dynamique seats in a cup sport.

Im confused!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

http://www.renault.com/datamedia/doc/mediarenaultcom/en/8296_CP_Clio_Team_gb.pdfhttp://www.renault.com/datamedia/doc/mediarenaultcom/en/8296_CP_Clio_Team_gb.pdf

Official Info!

Designed specifically for drivers seeking the thrills of motor racing, Renault launches the Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v "Team". Using the same technical specifications as the Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v Génération 2004, such as its chassis and 182hp (131.5kW) 2.0 16v engine, the Team offers simplified features. And with its competitive price and sporty performance, the new limited edition will be available for €19,900 in France from September 2004.

A sporty petrol hatchback

Displaying major mechanical developments on its launch in January 2004, Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v Génération 2004 set the benchmark in sport hatches thanks to its performance as well as its combination of power and comfort. Now, Renault uses this as a platform for the "Team" limited edition, a must for drivers who demand the very best.

Inside and out, the look of the Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v "Team" tells you everything about its character. In a nod to the 2003 French championship-winning Renault Sport rally team, the limited edition sports a "Clio Team" badge at the rear and above the side indicator repeaters. A "Renault Sport" signature logo appears on the dashboard strip and doorsills, with the wing mirrors, side strips and door and hatch opening controls all matching the bodywork. Inside, the "graphic night" seat covers, dark grey door panels and metallic grey safety belts with matching gearshift all make this a high-tech and sporty car, topped off with the same black leather steering wheel fitted to the Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v.

Clio "Team" is available in four metallic colours (Titane Grey, Doré Black, Artic Blue and Sanguine Orange) and one opaque colour (Dynamo Blue).

The main standard features:

Safety

- Adaptive driver and passenger airbags,

- ABS with ESP directional stability control,

- Speed limiter/cruise control,

- Foglamp,

Exterior design

- Wider front wings,

- Renault Sport 16’’ aluminium wheels,

Interior design

- Aluminium brake pedals,

- Metallic gearshift knob,

- Metallic dashboard strip,

- Metallic inside door handles,

Cabin comfort

- On-board computer,

- Manual air conditioning with cabin filter,

- Height-adjustable driver seat,

- 1/1 rear bench seat,

- Electric front windows,

- Tinted windows,

Driving pleasure

- Hydraulic power steering,

- Leather steering wheel,

- Matching electric wing mirrors,

Two options are available for Clio "Team":

- White stripes, in homage to the R8 Gordini, and competition spoiler,

- 4x22W radio CD player.

Pure sensations

The 2.0 16v engine, delivering 182hp at 6500rpm and 200Nm at 5250rpm, and gearbox are taken unmodified from Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v. In testing, a 400-metre start-stop was timed at 15 seconds, with a 1000 metre start-stop taking 27.60 seconds. With a chassis taken from Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v, its driving precision, progressiveness and uniformity make Clio "Team" responsive and fun to drive.

A competitive price tag

Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v "Team" will go on sale in September 2004 for €19,900, compared with €22,050 for Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v.

In 2003, 5,407 Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v models were sold in Western Europe, including 852 in France. Since its launch last January, Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v Génération 2004 has enjoyed equal success, with 639 units sold in France in the first half of 2004.

Dimensions of the special edition Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v "Team"

BOOT VOLUME

depending on positions of VDA bench seat (dm3)

Luggage compartment, min/max

255 / 596

Luggage compartment, bench seat folded

DIMENSIONS (mm)

A – Wheel base

B - Overall length

C - Front overhang

D – Rear overhang

E – Front track

F – Rear track

G – Overall width / with rearview mirror

1639 / 1940

H – Unladen height

K – Laden ground clearance

L – Cabin length (pedal / rear seat back)

M – Front elbow room

M1 – Rear elbow room

N – Front shoulder room

N1 – Rear shoulder room

P – Front headroom (seating position) measured at 14°

Q – Rear headroom (seating position) measured at 14°

Technical characteristics, Clio Renault Sport 2.0 16v "Team" – French product range

Engine

F4R

Gearbox type

Manual

Decontamination level

Euro 3

Type approval numbers

Fiscal rating (France)

Number of seats

ENGINE

Engine type

F4R 738

Capacity (cm3)

Bore x stroke (mm)

82.7 x 93

Number of cylinders

Compression ratio

11: 1

Total number of valves

Peak power kW EEC (hp)

131.5 (182)

Max. power (rpm)

Peak torque Nm EEC (m.kg DIN)

Max. torque (rpm)

Injection

Multipoint

Fuel

Petrol

Catalyzer

S

GEARBOX

Type

JC5 130

Number of forward gears

Speed, km/h, at 1000 rpm in 1st

in 2nd

in 3rd

in 4th

in 5th

STEERING

Power-assisted

Hydraulic as standard

Ø turning circle between kerbs / walls (m)

10.7 / 11.1

SUSPENSION

Front axle

Mac Pherson, with lower wishbone and antisway bar

Rear axle

H-shaped torsion beam with trailing arms

Ø bar-anti roll, front/rear (mm)

25 / 24

WHEELS AND TYRES

Reference wheels (’’)

7 J 16

Reference tyres FR/RR

205 / 45 R 16

BRAKING

Type of braking system

X

ABS with Electronic Braking Distribution (EBD)

Standard

Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)

-

Brake booster: single (S) – Ø (’’)

S - 9

FR: ventilated disks Ø (mm)

DV 280

RR: drum (D), d. pl. (DP) Ø (mm)

DP 238

PERFORMANCE

Max. speed (kph)

0 – 100 kph (s)

400 m D.A (s)

1000 D.A (s)

AERODYNAMICS

S (m2)/Cx

1. 94 / 0.36

CONSUMPTION, EEC std No.99 / 100 (l/100 km)

CO2 (g/km)

Urban conditions

Extra-urban conditions

Mixed

CAPACITY

Fuel tank (l)

WEIGHT (kg)

Empty in running order

Front unladen kerb weight

Rear unladen kerb weight

Max. authorized (GVW)

GVW max. available rear weight limit (FR)

GVW max. available rear weight limit (RR)

Gross train weight (GTW)

-

Payload

Braked trailer

-

Unbraked trailer

-

[Edited by Tomclio182 on 02 September 2004 at 10:02am]

172, Tiguan

Its still a half-hearted rediculous effort.

After 3 Clios I dont think ill buy another. Renault is turning into Pentium.

Status
Not open for further replies.