ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

Well...

Gearbox has now been changed, point8 motorsport :clown: item in it's place. Bought some more gearbox oil as the old stuff came out like silver hammerite, put that in, all back together. Cool i thought.

Took it out for a drive and the f*cking thing still vibrates like mad when turning right as it did before.

A bit of a look around and we decide that the driveshafts are too long. I'm running 19 16v wishbones, which are the same as Williams. Quick text to the fox and he's running 172 wishbones. Measure ball joint bolt to wishbone bolt on mine and a 172 and we have 5-10mm difference, 172 being longer. Bingo. I need a pair of 172 wishbones before next weekend.

Mk1's :rolleyes:

hmm not sure if the driveshafts being to long is the problem, i say this because 172 and r19 shafts are very close length wise and they have been used without any issues. i had a passanger side r19 shaft fittted and someone else on williamsclios had the drivers side fitted and did'nt report any problems... have you checked inner and outer cv joints?

shaft size is , Clio 172 LH ( passanger side ): 639mm
RH ( Driver side ) : 734mm

R19 16v LH : 636mm
RH : 732mm

BMW M5 & E36

All CV joints are fine, definitely length that is the problem. Although 3mm does seem minimal, that'd make a hell of a difference when it's as tight as it is.

I'll get a photo up showing the difference (praying that there is one!) between the 172 and 19 wishbones later on.

Thanks for the info mate :)

there will be a difference, 172/182 wishbones will sort your problem, id put money on it!

TVR Cerbera

hmm not sure if the driveshafts being to long is the problem, i say this because 172 and r19 shafts are very close length wise and they have been used without any issues. i had a passanger side r19 shaft fittted and someone else on williamsclios had the drivers side fitted and did'nt report any problems... have you checked inner and outer cv joints?

shaft size is , Clio 172 LH ( passanger side ): 639mm
RH ( Driver side ) : 734mm

R19 16v LH : 636mm
RH : 732mm

may only be a few mm, but believe me, when me and chris had it jacked up and turned the passenger wheel it was making the gearbox/engine assy move from side to side because of the driveshaft being too long/ wishbones too short.

polo

cheers for your help today mate, give us a buzz when you know about 2mr. Btw the project is looking amazing. Looking forward to seeing it.

BMW M5 & E36

A few phone pics ive taken over the past few days but havent got round to posting:

Engine and box back in having been changed

09042009596.jpg

Old box, taken apart for sh*ts. The silvery paint looking stuff on the cardboard is infact my old gearbox oil. Nice!

09042009597.jpg

This is what i cleaned out of my driveshaft gaiter, shavings of metal

11042009599.jpg

All connected back up and dropped back down onto wheels

11042009600.jpg

182 wishbone on left and 19 on the right. I did take a couple of pictures with the ruler in to show the difference, but they failed quite hard and I couldn't make the numbers out, definitely different though by a good few mm.

13042009601.jpg

182 wishbones on. Camber much?

13042009605.jpg

I've not been able to try it yet as I glued the last of my windows in this morning so I'm waiting for that to dry. Will give it a go after work tomorrow and fingers crossed it'll all work.

:hail:

340i

Uber camber!

Hopefully this will solve everything... Fingers crossed

172 Race Car

were you running alot of camber before? This could of agrivated (sp) the driveshaft problem with the oid wishbones

BMW M5 & E36

were you running alot of camber before? This could of agrivated (sp) the driveshaft problem with the oid wishbones

Not particularly no, I'd guess at a couple of degree's. I could possibly have reduced it further but I don't want it to be quite that tight.

I'll report back tomorrow evening when ive had a go. Fingers crossed.

As in the shaft will move 7-10mm into the box? When jacked up or under its own weight? What setup is this with?

under weight is best, but whatever. Ideally you check the suspension anywere that it can be, and steer as well, you only need to have some plunge everywhere (plus a bit to allow for flex).

Setup? I've done a few. I did what you did, so I know that R19 shafts are not the same as Williams shafts, I had no plunge on the one side, so made longer wishbones to suit. It would have been easier had I known that 172 bones were longer. Still, I got to play with the geometry at the same time.

Thinking back, it was probably the passenger side that was too long (not 100%), I don't know what failed on your gearbox, but it's possible that your driveshaft broke it.

When you fit the wider bones check the plunge on the offside isn't around 20mm, they can get close to falling out - which can get messy, been there, got the T-shirt.

Cupra, Fiesta ST2

Just been through all 25 pages (mainly just looking at the pics!) Looks sweet! Will have to pop round sometime to give you a hand, or maybe be your pit crew at a track day

ValverInBits

Whiteley 4th engine mount©
Coming soon to a rig-up merchant near you.

Megane R26

It does the job, trust me!
Been for a ride in it earlier n he scared the livin daylights outta me at 1 point!! :cool:
Handles very well to say the least.

pmsl.....he only wishes, its gona have to be something else alot more special to beat bricky ;)

LY 200

outstanding progress mate, been following the thread closely!

I'll have a nosey at FCS :)

BMW M5 & E36

Heading off early for Marham tomorrow, first track outing. Lets see how it goes!

I raised the rear end by 20mm as it was far too low. Now back down to old height with 6 wheels and tools/fuel etc in the boot though!

Cupra, Fiesta ST2

Good luck for tomorrow, and make sure any overtaking isn't the same as old times ;)