ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_6021.jpg

IMG_6124.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

IMG_6273.jpg

mkI 1.8 16v
Read through your topic and it really made me want to go crazy with my valver and turn it into a full-on track car like yours.

Amazing work and excellent result. I can only wish you the best of lucks with the upcoming F4R swap.

Keep it up!

BMW M5 & E36
Cadwell Renaultsport Videos:

Session 1
[youtube]wmRRnPVJKhA[/youtube]

Session 2
[youtube]5q-PQYZ7SXA[/youtube]

Session 3
[youtube]4pOWFXiIbtY[/youtube]

Vs ITB/Cam/High Comp 172Cup:
[youtube]aITYdsqjEvM[/youtube]

BMW M5 & E36
Spent a bit more time on the engine this afternoon. Coming along nicely.

Fitted and timed up a new Gates cambelt kit last Tuesday. Cheers f0xy.

IMG_2463.jpg

Whilst doing the belt, I had the rocker cover off and cleaned that up, then resealed to hopefully avoid any leaks. Painted it afterwards along with the breather.

IMG_2464.jpg

Black thermostat housing fitted

IMG_2465.jpg

Exhaust manifold put on loosely for now, might either wrap it or get a wrapped one just yet

IMG_2466.jpg

Cambelt cover and top mount painted and back on

IMG_2467.jpg

New waterpump fitted and auxillary setup sorted, nice and simple

IMG_2468.jpg

Needs a 5 rib alternator belt to avoid the plastic cambelt cover, as shown

IMG_2470.jpg

Mk1 1.2 alternator brackets, nice and neat

IMG_2471.jpg

Inlets painted and currently drying. Will DIY match these when the paint is dry

IMG_2472.jpg

IMG_2473.jpg

new mount test fitted

IMG_2474.jpg

:)

BMW M5 & E36
Nope, not me. Car hasn't moved since Cadwell on tuesday, and wont be until new engine is in.

Alternator shown is just an old nackered one for testing fitment too, need to take the one off other engine when it comes out.

BMW M5 & E36
Left the inlets to dry overnight but they're still a bit tacky. Couldn't help myself loosely assembling it all though to see how it looks. I'm quite pleased with how the black/silver combo works.

Also had another delivery today, set of 172 Samco blue coolant hoses from TimsmeganeR26 on here, very much recommended. Again, I put them on just because I could :cool:

Inlets

IMG_2477.jpg

With fuel rail cover

IMG_2478.jpg

Samco's

IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

williams 2,seat leon
just spent 3 hrs reading all this. puts my willy turbo to shame. wish i had the garage and space, and funds you have to play with. top job, should be proud of what youve done.

BMW M5 & E36
Cheers x2^

I've not got a proper lifting eye for the gearbox end of the engine either, so made this up to suit. Should do the job

18082009746.jpg

Mondeo TDCI 130
lol, it will be fine!! only one pivot point!

Just re read the page before dude, top work! Keep it up, credit to you.

BMW M5 & E36
Up until last friday I hadn't touched the car since it got home from Cadwell on the 11th of this month. The plan had been to take the car off the road for a while after the 11th and sort the F4R conversion.

So Friday evening i started taking the thing to bits in preparation for taking the engine out the following morning.

21082009748.jpg

21082009749.jpg

Bought myself a few duplicate tools as I'm fed up of dragging my others home from work all the time. MDF wall rack too :cool:

21082009751.jpg

Saturday morning came and I took the engine out after disconnecting the left overs

22082009752.jpg

22082009754.jpg

Those that've followed the car from the start may remember that my slam/radiator panel wasn't removeable like it should have been, and like every other valver is. Probably due to it being bent at some point in its life and having a 1.2 replacement panel or something. Anyway, I got hold of a valver centre section which usually bolts in, and cut my existing one out to accept it. Just need to drill a few holes to mount in then it'll be as it should be.

Cut out:

22082009756.jpg

Better:

22082009757.jpg

Next priority is the engine wiring loom. This is a mixture of 172 ph1 and ph2 Valver looms. I need to make something from this little mess

21082009750.jpg

Got the 172 loom all layed out and labelled up to help me out

24082009758.jpg

And locations mapped out roughly on some card

24082009759.jpg

And that brings us upto date. More soon. :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sooooo wish I had the time to do all what you're doing!!

It looks f**king awesome mate, well done! :)

RB 197
Ahh wiring..no thanks. Rather you than me.

Top work though flower. Canny wait till she's finito'd. Test runs to Saxilby.

you could wire that up in an hour* with them PDFs of mine, can see they are being used on the floor lol.

*By a properly qualified ЯUR technician.

BMW M5 & E36
The engine sat on the floor with the wrapped manifold on? Thats the F4R, with 172 manifold.

Always had a standard Valver manifold on the F7P.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
is the engine loom and ecu etc for the f7p seperate to the car loom (if you catch my meaning) or is it as standard integrated into the whole loom including the oil temp and presure gauges etc? Only asking before i remove mine cheers

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
cool, should be easy to separate what i dont want then as i wont be running the standard loom anymore.

does the 172 exhaust manifold just run over the rack and subframe instead of under it then?

yeah, over and through the gap. its near enough correct, but a bloody tight fit. Ideally you need to run a solid rear dogbone mount to overcome the 'knocking' of the downpipe hitting the tunnel, caused by engine movement forwards/backwards, as the gap is seriously tight.

Custom downpipe is required, but its possible to chop up a 172 cat with a bit of pipe and get it to work. this will give you the proper fitment to the manifold. mines been perfectly fine for ages now...

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
i made a rose jointed dogbone mount, but have modified mine so it doesnt 'flop' about so never used it.

ValverInBits
liking the progress mate. That slam panel job will make your life soooo much easier. one of the best design features about the valver engine bay :D