ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

52 172 cup

RB Clio 182
Could your wheel bolts be coming loose because your turinis have had a refurb and its the fist time the cars been properly used? I know after mine have been refurbished I have to tighten them up a few times before they stay tight, I know they have been painted a while but because the wheels got hotter than normal the paint behind the bolts might have been effected.

You could look into the yanoo short shifter with the longer scenic gear shifter, that's supposed to make the changes better and shorter.

I'm not sure why your tyres are catching with no spacers, but iirc the cup turinis have a wider offset than the 182 trophy turinis which come with 205 tyres iirc. Thats maybe why the cups come with 195 tyres to stop the scraping, it could also be because of your camber or toe out?

As Mr Tom said I think I remember reading somewhere that you have to scrape out the paint where the wheel bolts go or they come loose. Im sure a google search would bring up some results as I've read it a lot on many forums.

Renault Clio 172
I might give it a try, i was thinking a stud conversion might help as ive never had a problem with previous cars.. I will look into the scenic shifter but I thought it didn't reduce throw? Just brought it up higher and more precise with the yanoo kit

RB Clio 182
You did look like you were reaching into 3rd gear a bit mate, is that your dad with you? What did he think of the clio on track?

Renault Clio 172
I was doing tom to make sure i didnt miss it lol.. yeah it was better than he was expecting too

Surely it can't be as good as a proper remap on a rolling road though surely? Im tempted by one but mainly for the diagnostic function to be fair.

RB Clio 182
Surely it can't be as good as a proper remap on a rolling road though surely? Im tempted by one but mainly for the diagnostic function to be fair.

I was never sure but after listening to Adam (Bunta) he would have told me if it was s**t because he doesn't follow the sheep, but he was actually pleasantly surprised with how good it was for a hand held device.

Renault Clio 172
Im always careful what to believe on forums but the rs tuner reviews are all spot on, it really does improve how the engine revs up, it pulls alot better from lower down and is so smooth all the way to the redline.

Obviously its not going to be quite as good as a custom map by someone who knows what they are doing but for the money it is one of the best things ive done to the car.. i think in total it was around £175, if i sold the box for say £110, its a much better map than renaults effort for 65 quid..
Give it a go Joe, you wont be dissapointed

As I have a 172 what do I need to do just purchase one off a 172 owner and then pay to have it unlocked and for a map (as my car will have panel filter and catted ktec exhaust)

Renault Clio 172
I think any that has been used on a 172/182 will work.. all you need to buy from fastchip is an unlock code and the map which he emails you, its really easy to do just make sure you put a trickle charger on your battery as it takes a while to backup and re load the files

Renault Clio 172
Been a while since I've updated this but had a bit of time recently so got some stuff done.

I ordered a pair of new headlights as no matter how much time i spent trying to get the old ones looking good it just wasn't happening, there not genuine but the fit is brilliant and the car looks 100x better with them on, also got a new rear number plate light, silver vision indicator bulbs, phillips white sidelight bulbs and osram nightbreaker+ main bulbs, these combined with the new lenses make driving at night much clearer plus they look awsome..

20150709_183259.jpg

Also I have sprayed my wing mirror caps mondial blue rather than the satin black they were before, I thought the satin black made the car look abit scruffy and having them the original colour definatly makes the car look cleaner especially combined with the new headlights :)

bit of a crappy pic
20150731_161253.jpg

Whilst I was armed with about half a can of paint I thought I might aswell do my gearknob insert as it was well worn, assuming from a previous owner wearing a ring or maybe just wear and tear? After spraying that I decided it looked odd with the duller plastic dash strips so took them off and gave them a paint too, I will get some pics when I think on when im in the car but for now the end of my knob will have to do

20150731_161524.jpg

I think they have come out quite well but I think I shouldn't have lacquered them to keep it looking original

Went to Cliosport saturday yesterday too, only got 3 pics though, I have got a few vids on the gopro but they take forever to upload to youtube so I'll link them later on for anyone who is interested

20150801_170051.jpg

20150801_170059.jpg

20150801_170137.jpg

Booked on for the AM and PM sessions, the car ran pretty well, it would be much faster with an lsd but im not prepared to spend that amount on the car any time soon so it will have to do, still had the scraping on the front tyres but aslong as its not damaging the tyres im not too bothered, also had the front wheel bolts slackening off again, im 99% sure its the heat the brakes are giving off thats doing this and I think a stud conversion would help cure this...

Also it was the first time I have tried the federal RSR's in the wet, when It started raining in the afternoon I was the only one on track for most of my session apart from the black pulsar so it gave me plenty of space to mess about, I found that when the surface was really wet they were ok, probably no worse than say a T1R. the fronts locked up fairly easy and trailing the brakes into the corners the rears would let go no problem but very predictable and easy to correct..

When the track started to dry out and conditions were greasy, I was able to get some heat into the fronts, this meant braking was later and cornering speed was faster however the rear tyres were obviously still cold so it was much more tail happy but still very predictable.

Overall I would say the RSR's for the money are excellent, I'd say they are close to the AD08 but for much less money, very impressed.

I don't have any videos of the afternoon track time because the gopro ran out and I forgot the cable to charge it which was a shame.

RB Clio 182
Brilliant update mate, love it:)

Sell me you ns arch liner mate, i've ripped mine to bits, it blew loose at 165mph :(

Renault Clio 172
Brilliant update mate, love it:smile:

Sell me you ns arch liner mate, i've ripped mine to bits, it blew loose at 165mph 😧

I would sell you it if it had a full one Tom haha, its been cut quite a bit to try combat the scraping but turns out there scraping on the bit the bumper bolts to at the front bottom of the wing.. I bet they were never designed to stay intact at 165 mate!

Cheers @imprezaworks Im trying to upload my vids to youtube but its painfully slow for some reason, hopefully a fair few people will spot theirs on track

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Hi mate,

Where did you get your headlights from as mine are also shocking??

Renault Clio 172
Small update, changed the engine oil + filter for genuine stuff, gearbox oil, coolant, thermostat and header tank as the old one was too rust coloured to see what the level was. Also gave the car a good look over to see if anything else needs replacing, the front pads are quite low so will probably get some brembo replacements from George at RTR parts and the outer ARB bushes are looking abit perished so will get some polys ordered. Planning to paint the calipers silver or black and going to get the alloys refurbished bright silver or maybe anthracite as the carbone lorraine pads ruined the black they currently are. I am thinking about putting the car up for sale as Im getting abit bored of it to be honest and don't really need it with having a van for work

20150911_161400.jpg

20150911_185852.jpg

RB Clio 182
You will miss it mate, I dont need mine tbh, what you going to do for a hobby? Clean your van? Put some slicks on it?

Renault Clio 172
Love cleaning the van haha.. been looking at doing the bmw compact cup so selling this would put some money towards that mate:up:

RB Clio 182
Love cleaning the van haha.. been looking at doing the bmw compact cup so selling this would put some money towards that mate:up:

Come through to mine today if you want mate, mines suffered a major oil leak but I cant make out where its coming from.

Renault Clio 172
Would do but im working mate! When i say working i mean sat waiting for it to stop raining watching videos on my phone haha

RB Clio 182
Would do but im working mate! When i say working i mean sat waiting for it to stop raining watching videos on my phone haha

Iv got this week off mate :D

Im pissed off at the missus, shes taken our 7 seater for its mot today, shes just rung me saying it needed some front pads, £70 they are charging her, ive just looked on ebay, mintex ones are on £15 I could kill her, shes walking home and left it with them :(

I hate been robbed, I could have done it, thick!

Renault Clio 172
Been a while but thought i'd update this thread, not much has changed on the car but I'll share anyway :smile:

First off, I did Cadwell with @dann2707 in january, cant remember the date but it was abit last minute, I booked on at about 2am the same day as I was working that night so I didn't take the go pro, only got 1 pic too of dans car after the wheel came off! hope you dont mind me posting this mate :smile:

Screenshot_2016-01-15-19-03-33.png

The car ran well at cadwell, even though we didn't get on track until about half 11 due to the surface ice. Clio was nice and predictable all day and it seems how it is setup now is abit on the safe side, still fast though for a little hatch back

After the trackday I didn't drive the car again until about 3 weeks later, was going away for a long weekend and on the way there, only about 5 miles from home, I put my foot down in 3rd gear and it went bang, strangely the car still drove as I thought i'd broke a driveshaft or something. Anyway, I managed to limp the car home and took the mr2 instead. Got back and set about looking for the problem when I had a decent day off work, took the gearbox off to make sure it wasn't something in the bellhousing, when I got the box off there was nothing wrong with the clutch/bearing etc... so the damage was obviously internal to the gearbox

20160312_143242.jpg

took the end cover off the gearbox to find a load of gear teeth just floating about in there so i'm assuming 3rd gear s**t itself

This is a JB1 gearbox by the way:

20160320_121037.jpg

And the teeth:

20160320_121033.jpg

My Dad found me a 44k JC5 129 gearbox, even though I was going to go for a rebuilt gearbox.
While the gearbox was out, I thought I might aswell do all the jobs that are awkward with the box/subframe in place, so I ordered the following:
Valeo Clutch
Powerflex black series ARB bushes (inner and outer)
Powerflex black series Steering rack bushes
Febi upper engine mount
Febi upper gearbox mount
Febi lower front gearbox mount
Millers fully synthetic gearbox oil 5l
All new cv joint gaiters (inner and outer)
Pipercross foam filter cleaner & filter oil

Shafts:

20160312_154852.jpg

Air filter before:

20160314_144611.jpg

Air filter after clean:

20160314_153454.jpg

New clutch:

20160319_152714.jpg

Rack Bushes:

20160319_154512.jpg

20160312_115409.jpg

Arb bushes:

20160325_091713.jpg

20160325_093812.jpg

Mounts:

20160320_164701.jpg

20160325_151930.jpg

EBC Yellows vs old CL rc6's

20151223_133610.jpg

@Christ Almighty turb nipped over to say hello too

20160312_143146.jpg

20160312_155125.jpg

20160312_155125.jpg

20160312_155136.jpg

The car is all back together now and is running better than ever, all the new mounts and bushes have really tightened up the front end, the steering feels super precise compared to before. I just need to get the geometry checked now, I'm thinking of going for -2.5 degrees camber up front see how that feels instead of -2 degrees it is currently. Need to book CSF for this year but im also thinking about selling the car again for an impreza haha

Renault Clio 172
Fitted some 182 seats f+r at the weekend, look much better than the originals:

9ec05e9e-53d4-4081-be6a-c6cd73c55db7.jpg

20160410_180925.jpg

Also fitted a whiteline rear arb too, currently got it set to soft, cant really tell its on but i've only driven a few miles with it fitted so cant really comment what its like yet.. rubbish pic, Ive also fitted the L brackets upside down so it hangs lower than it should but didn't realise until after I'd put all the tools away lol

20160410_095215.jpg

While I had the tools out, I cut down the front bumper brackets that the tyres were rubbing on during hard cornering, gave them a quick file down and painted with hammerite, will be going over with waxoyl when the car is next on stands... fitted some quick release bumper tie things to stop the edges of the bumper popping out due to losing the brackets it bolts to. bit of inspiration from dann's car here

20160410_180940.jpg