ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Injectors done already and collected. I gave my buddy them with no info and he messaged me at lunch time saying they were done, all good and then made sure they were 480cc as that's what they came in at. So all clean and ready for mapping.

Slapped them in and the car started really well and idles loads smoother than it had done previously 👍🏻

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So pulling off is a pig sometimes and it likes to cut out every so often when coming to a stop and the revs drop, and even without being able to open it up, its FAST!. I know I've not driven anything really quick for a while but this thing will do nearly a 100 in a blink without trying and my foot hardly on the throttle. I'm actually a little worried about how it will be once I can really lean on it. Gearbox is also giving an indicated 70mph and 2950rpm so decent for cruising on the motorway (y) not sure I will ever want to test its 150+mph capability though. Even with not being able to drive it hard id say it would show up the old engine going full tilt! 😲

1 calendar month until mapping, so a fair bit of time to rack up the miles and fix things as they break. On the brakes, the bigger master cylinder has really improved the feel of the pedal with the Peugeot callipers on, definitely a worth while change just for the pedal feel and feedback, much more like a 172 now (y)

I do have a heavy smell of fuel inside the car after a drive, i will tighten the locking collar up and hope its that, I did block off the vapour return line to the tank, maybe its pressurising or something now though if I remove the cap I don't get a hiss or anything.

Fluids ordered from Opie oils so next week sometime ill give it all a change.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Knew it felt pretty quick vs the old engine!

So I have a friend who has a dyno, plopped the Twingo on there to make sure it was fuelling ok and not knocking its tits off whilst racking up the miles. All good at cruise and very close to lambda when driving normally. So we gently increased the throttle to see how it would react. It'll hit boost cut if you ask too much too early in the revs and you can see it modulating the throttle position trying to keep things in check but its in the low 11s/high 10s when it comes on boost and at high revs so safe enough for now, enough for me to lean on it and try and brake things. Still drives like a pig at very light throttle though.

So the reading we got, because you know when on the dyno you might as well see what its reading. On a twingo gt ecu mapped for a completely different setup its putting down just shy of 200bhp and 230ftlb. Nice :D Cant wait to feel how it goes when you can actually plant your foot down and just hold on :D

20210416_122820.jpg
20210416_113814.jpg
20210416_110646.jpg
20210416_110635.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Gave it a quick oil and filter change with the oil delivered from Opie Oils, came with a cardboard funnel which made pouring in the fluid easy enough. Filter itself is easy to get access too from underneath. Hand up between the rad and block and you can grab hold and twist with little bother. Checking the level is a bit tight on the dipstick, though looking at the meg version there's a longer dipstick tube so something to think about in the future.

Exhaust blows a little at the joint between the front pipe and mid pipe but I expected that due to sleeving it temporarily until funds allow a nice system to be made. The blow had gotten louder recently so I re sealed and seated everything again. Managed to pull everything up a little nicer so the back box wasn't poking out so much. Started up and it was still blowing loads........ does that if you forget to put the second lambda in properly. Still blowing a little from the joint but Its little quieter with that nipped up 😂

20210418_100850.jpg
20210418_100846.jpg
20210417_130443.jpg

IMG_20210417_133719_055.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Jesus that graph 😂😂😂

Biggest difference you'll notice when mapped will be smooth power delivery, not that mess! 🤣

Mega how well it actually is doing though for the fact it's ecu from a completely different engine!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed delivery isn't the best, was part the ecu doing things and us throttling it back a little to try and stop it hitting boost cut. Will be nice to just plant it and not worry. Soon soon, will be great if it holds together

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
K20 in a Clio does absolutely nothing for me.

As far as itches go, I own a Kangoo 2 but use it every day but she is on 174k so maybe if the engine blows up but I have got my eye on an abandoned Twingo by work that is ripe for a £300 letter and a mobile number left on it 😉

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
K20 with a few minor mods with the Clio chassis. So far I've only seen the 2 my mate has built and they've been supercharged, then turbo and now back supercharged

Yet to see someone do an NA one and actually use it properly

Mate stuck one in his mk1 good few years ago, I've been round track in it, it's alright but for the effort not worth it n/a imo. His was about 225bhp iirc so modest increase on stock but doesn't feel any quicker than my mk1 with the 210bhp f4r in it

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So, what a shite day. Its always the small quick jobs that go wrong and f**k things over. To top it off I'm actually awaiting conformation from EFI Parts of a mapping date change as someone else cant make their booking. That's meant to be next Tuesday ffs.

Right, as we know my gear shift mech was upside down, this was due to fitting a gearbox from a car with a dash mounted shifter and my chassis has a floor mounted shifter. Not a big issue, just need to swap the selector arms off the top of the selector shaft and bobs your uncle (was actually my grandad) job done. Someone kindly removed the arms off a spare gearbox and sent them to me. Should of just been a case of tapping out the scroll pin, removing mine arms and replacing with the correct ones............... Yeah fucked that up, lined it all up gave it a tap and thought all was well when the pin was slightly out. Then I noticed the shaft was slightly leant over. f**king snapped further down at the next weak point where there's another locating pin. So box out job now needed either to replace the box or fix this one. Now being cheap/pikey/brassic I didn't pay much for it in the first place, but all of a sudden they seem to be mega money. Ideally I need to get one here and at my house in the next few days so I can get it all back together for the weekend. f**k.

So now I've disconnected everything and its ready to be lifted out again, just need to collect my engine crane that I've leant out. So hopefully should have it all out on the deck by tomorrow eve (y) A good mate has also called after seeing some pics/vid on Instagram. He's a wiz machinist and works in motorsport and thinks he can fix it without too much bother, I just need to remove it from the box. Fingers crossed I can whip apart the box tomorrow and get it removed, just need to have a look at the gearbox documentation this eve to see if its possible. Wish me luck.

Before all this I also knocked up a PMT gearbox mount. A squirt of tiger seal and bit of old cambelt pressed into the void around the centre of the mount and the sealed up some more with more tiger seal PMT FTW (y) shame there's no working gearbox to bolt it too 😂 😭

20210420_144716.jpg
20210420_144643.jpg
IMG-20210420-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20210420-WA0000.jpg

received_297654605083812.jpeg
received_445316953235379.jpeg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Busy busy day today.

So id been firing off lots of offers on eBay since yesterday, but last night, whilst having a 3am s**t I spotted a gearbox that looked correct but it couldn't be identified. No pictures of the label or anything. So i fired off an email asking for the info. Got a reply at lunch time today, JR5 113 (y) that will do, diesel box, slightly longer than mine but it will fit. Oh and its from a modus so has the correct selector arm arrangement for the gears so (hopefully) in the correct orientation.

So straight from work at lunch time to pick up my engine crane. Got home then contacted the seller, he was in Bristol (y) so quickly paid for it and jumped in the car with one of the boys and did a quick road trip to pick it up. All looked good so chucked it the boot and head home.

Everything was here now so time to get cracking, id already prepped everything for the removal so that was quick and easy. Once it was out I swapped in the new slave cylinder and my crank sensor, Had dinner then slapped the box back on the block. @Jezer101 then popped over to give some abuse and some help and we got it back in the hole. driveshafts in, exhaust on hubs all loosely assembled and the box filled with oil. Boost pipes and wiring all thrown on and ready to test. A brief bit of worry when it struggled to idle but that was due to me forgetting I bagged the turbo inlet. Once that was removed a quick try of the gears seem to show everything working perfectly well, it might have a slight weep from the end cap so I've popped some cardboard under it to check (y) The PMT gearbox mount has made everything pretty solid as well so pleased with that too.

Tomorrow should see the cooling system back on, the front end reassembled and the brakes and hubs all aligned and bolted back up properly. Oh and the clutch to bleed. But hopefully a test drive before the end of the night.

Thanks for reading, here have some pics (y)

TLDR We have fired the car up and have 5 forward gears and 1 reveres and they look to be in the correct place too (y)

JR5113.PNG
20210421_204012.jpg
20210421_201554.jpg
IMG-20210421-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20210421-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20210421-WA0012.jpg
20210421_170735.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
We are ready (I think)

Replaced some fuel hose and neatened a few parts up this morning. Cant find any leaks, or strong smells of petrol on that so all seems good. I did have a hissing noise from the map sensor, initially I though it just needed holding down tighter so I used a piece of scrap to make a PMT clamp to hold it but actually found a small crack in the sensor itself. Luckily I had a few kicking about so swapped it out. Seems less jerky but I've not put many miles on it. Gearbox seems fine so far and is longer, 70mph now comes in at around 2750rpm so easy cruising on the motorways. Depending on the rev limit it might just clip 60 in 2nd gear. I don't think I will test the 160+mph top speed though.

Camber was miles out, positive on one side so I've eyeballed it to match a little negative each side, I need a new tyre soon anyway so when I go get one sorted ill have it all realigned.

I will carry on putting the miles on it to check everything over in the next few days but hopefully I can relax and tidy the garage up a little. Roll on Tuesdays mapping session with Chris at EFI Parts. Hopefully we don't find any weak spots. If it comes away in one piece and with me not calling the RAC I will be very surprised.

20210423_114707.jpg
20210423_113108.jpg
20210423_102231.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Right it hasn't blown up yet (fingers crossed, touch wood, pray to the turbo gods) so all being well and I get there mapping is on Tuesday. What do we think the results will be?

Recap, its a stock 205/225/r26 engine, Miltek 3/2.75inch downpipe and front pipe into a 2.5inch mid section and a 2.25inch back box. Big front mount intercooler and PMT big intake (s2000 filter) Injectors have been cleaned and came back in good order. On a rs133 clutch cover, CG motorsport dual friction plate and a JR5 5speed diesel gearbox

Closest guess can win something random that I find in my garage 🤷‍♂️