ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
have you removed the outer circlip behind the hub side CV joints? I had same issue on the mk1 with the 172 conversion, 6/7mm free play. two minutes with a mallet and screwdriver to remove out CV and pop that circlip off and gained an extra 5mm and vibrations all gone.

Did that 3 years ago and been fine since, neg 3 degrees, on its arse, slicks, trackdays etc etc.

and FREE ;-) i know you love FREE

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
have you removed the outer circlip behind the hub side CV joints? I had same issue on the mk1 with the 172 conversion, 6/7mm free play. two minutes with a mallet and screwdriver to remove out CV and pop that circlip off and gained an extra 5mm and vibrations all gone.

Did that 3 years ago and been fine since, neg 3 degrees, on its arse, slicks, trackdays etc etc.

and FREE ;-) i know you love FREE

I didn't even know there was one in there, but I will take a look for sure, do you have a pic of what you mean?

Free is good (y) :D

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I didn't even know there was one in there, but I will take a look for sure, do you have a pic of what you mean?

Free is good (y) :D

I haven't mate, don't think i took any. But smack the outer CV off and should be there in middle of the spline if anything like a phase 1 172 shaft

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
so will this allow the spider to sit further into the joint as such then or the spider further down the shaft? I will definitely take a look, I have a few spare shafts in the garage so will see if its on them, and my shaft uses a 172 outer half shaft so should be as you described (y)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yep you were the closest 👍🏻 I will have a look through the garage and find something you really don't need from my piles of crap 😁 pm me an address
haha im all good, ill take the RESPECT, to some people thats worth more

466ca32dd6360ab07493c55123a141de.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So I've done some bad maths and I think I can gain and extra 12mm of plunge by swapping the cup and spider off the GT shafts to the DCI/172 shaft on the drivers side. If someone could agree with me that would be great lol

compared between the 2 the GT cup sits 5mm further on the shaft to start with, it then has a 10/11mm deeper body/engagement. The spiders gears themselves are 6mm bigger so half that difference for max depth.

5mm + 10mm - 3mm = 12mm correct?

Does this sound right, my heads fuzzy today but I think it works? So I just need to get access to a press to remove both cups and put the GT cup back on the DCI inner half shaft.

This would save making and running welded/modified wishbones though I'm not actually that bothered about that as the wider track would be beneficial

20210501_155644.jpg
20210430_154633.jpg
20210430_154626.jpg
20210430_154614.jpg
20210430_154516.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Yep :giggle:, for some reason my head isn't processing that the inner shaft will effectively be a touch shorter after the support bearing and allow more depth/travel for the outer half of the shaft. (too little sleep to much medication :D)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just a thought, is it actually going to make a difference?

If you're using that bearing then the distance from bearing to hub won't change.
If you're not using it and it's free to move laterally then it would make a difference.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Its on a 2 piece shaft on the drives side same as a later 172/182. Distance from the gearbox to the bearing is fixed by the shaft and bearing carrier on the block. All the movement/slop and articulation is done after the bearing? I need to gain more space/travel after the bearing to the hub. Adding the deeper cup wont change the distance between the bearing and the hub but give more space for the outer shaft to plunge in. The inner shaft will become a touch shorter after the bearing (5mm). If it doesn't work then moving the hubs further away will sort it. My issue is when I add a little bit of camber, under compression the shaft was starting to bottom out in the cup, swapping it out for the one I've measured will give me 12mm more space and hopefully it will no longer bottom out.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
It does as measured above. Gt inner shaft and dci inner shaft are different lengths so I'll be using the gt cup on the dci shaft 👍🏻bearing carrier will still line up fine

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
My neighbour runs his own Garage so did me a solid and let me come in and use his hydraulic press to build a shaft. Pushed off both the cups/tulips and reassembled the one I wanted in the correct orientation (GT Tulip on the DCI shaft and then the GT spider on the 172 outer shaft) I measured the the current in use shaft fully compressed and did the same for the new setup and its roughly 12mm shorter same as mentioned above. Happy with that, hopefully all is well and I don't need any more "plunge" (y) Just need to get it all aligned and test it down the B roads (y) oh and get 2 new tyres fitted, driving the last 500 miles with the toe out has destroyed these ones 🤦‍♂️

20210504_150746.jpg
20210504_144622.jpg
IMG-20210504-WA0009.jpg
20210504_114839.jpg
20210504_114632.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
After going mad to get this done I've not driven it since the start of the month.... 🤦‍♂️ kind of gone off the boil for it after cruising around in the Dope so much. I've booked in for 2 tyres and alignment next Monday through a mate for max discount. Just need to to double check the ride heights again to make sure all is still set where I want and hasn't settled lower. Hopefully with everything sorted ill be back out enjoying it (y)

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Got in today for some suspension tweaks and tyres. Settled with -1.6 camber and a touch of toe out inline with the standard rs133 cup figures. Should be ok on the road with the odd track day if it ever goes on one. Its now on some Michelin pilot sport 3s, load better but its futile trying to give it full bore in 1st or 2nd. It will light the tyres in 2nd with no worry. I can grip in 3rd though so can use all the power then. Clown car.

20210514_112213.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
We have had the first failure on the twingo.

Some of you may have seen some silly antics on Instagram yesterday (@ adeyspec if you don't already follow), no biggy for the car but was nice to get out and beat on it a little, @jezer101 took it for a spin too, wheel spin anyway 😀. Normal when beating on it the temp rises a little then drop back down when off the load pedal. The rad isn't cowled in yet so I want to get that sorted soon. Anyway I noticed when pulling up the temp was higher than normal and had passed 110 degrees, engine off and bonnet up to find the fan not running 😑. Jez donated his spare rad fan setup to use if needed. Today I checked everything over to find no fuses blown anywhere so I let everything warm up to the point where the fan would run, no voltage to the fan.... pulled off the resistor pack and replaced with the spare as that was the easiest thing to try first and the fan span up instantly. Winner winner👍🏻

20210518_150700.jpg
20210518_143628.jpg