ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adeys F4RT Twingo GT

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
In with excuses, it was wet and would wheel spin in 3rd. This is the only pull I got but its all in 4th, I'm normally in 3rd till 95leptons. I think on a dry day in 3rd it would of been closer. The car is a dtc e92 m3 with decats and mapped. Not too shabby for a twingo I don't think 🤔

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Not too shabby with the wheels chirping in 3rd. Hopefully I can shave a touch more off it 🤞🏻

Screenshot_20220220-120531_dragy.jpgIMG-20220220-WA0009.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Another brief dragy update..... doubt I will be able to better this 60 to 100 time tbh, the gearbox doesn't lend itself to really fast shifts, not sure if a different oil could speed things up but it's a pretty fast car tbh, a 4.99 would be nice....

Screenshot_20220225-133339_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220225-091054_dragy.jpg

I will if I can try some 0 to 60s and quarters but finding somewhere flat and relatively safe to do it locally is difficult. Will hopefully venture to pod soon

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Suprised this didn't sell when you had it up.

Must be such fun to drive.

I didn't have it up for long, I've had a fair bit of interest in the last few weeks actually even though its not up for sale. I think its proven itself now as reliable and with the recent updates with the suspension and turbo it's proving its pace too so a little more desirable maybe 🤷🏻‍♂️
The only thing that's really stopped me selling is I can't think of anything that can deliver its speed fun and economy for the same money and I'm not sure what I could build next?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So its been pretty much a year since I first had the car out on the road, all has been going amazingly to be fair and I was going to make a video to show it. The daily had been beat on for a very long time. It had had a bigger turbo slapped on and delivered some very good performance for the relatively small outlay. A few days ago I decided to give it some beating whilst timing on the dragy, on the way home afterwards it sounded a little "off" at idle, once home I popped the bonnet and found it breathing quite heavily from the rocker. Removing the lead from number 4 made little difference to the running of it and when starting it spins slightly quick. Im 95% that its cracked a ringland. Hopefully the damage was caught early and soon enough to not have wrecked the bore. So the plan is too pull everything and give it a refresh with 250 rods and pistons, a thicker headgasket, some bigger injectors (when mapping) and all being well some modified 172 cams.

Today was a nice enough day so I made a start on removing everything. Been a bit of a graft and took longer than it would normally but its nearly ready to come out. Just need to dig out the engine crane and get it strapped up an out tomorrow. Once its in the garage ill get it stripped and inspect the damage, send me hugs and prayers to the cars gods that the block is salvageable (y)

20220320_100012.jpg

20220320_112718.jpg

20220320_121527.jpg

20220320_121539.jpg

20220320_152324.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So after much rolling around as I cant find my old engine stand anywhere I've found the issue, and it seems, very luckily I've not caused any damage to the block/bore. There is a little mark in there but I cant feel it so a deglaze will sort it I'm sure. Had a mare when stripping it all down too, I slipped and sheared off one of the head bolts so had to drill the mofo until the pressure was released and the use a sharp punch to loosen it off.

20220321_133153.jpg

20220321_134549.jpg

20220321_135515.jpg

20220321_191717.jpg

20220321_191721.jpg

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
As im no real blogger I fitted the pistons with my back to the camera and didn't even turn it on when I had the wife helping me drop the head back on🤦‍♂️

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Its getting there slowly, need to put some miles on it now. fitted a new (second hand) john ashley exhaust today. The car idles like a pig/rx7 but it seems to drive nicely and is still very eager to go. Mapping is a month off yet but as long as it all holds together ill give it some laps at the cliosport festival

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So it's been pretty much 2 months since cracking a ringland and taking the car off the road. I've been pretty crappy with the updates, I keep forgetting to record anything or take pics as I've been popping out and doing bits when I've found the time or energy in-between work and life. Anyway the engine seems to be working so far, it hasn't exploded in its first 10miles 😁 It's all in the bay and running just about, idle is abit crap but it cruises along smooth enough that i can bosh the miles on and bed the rings in. I think I'll give it a few hundred miles then drop the oil for some fully synthetic. Thanks to @Brigsy for the heads up on the miller's running in oil which came in at the same price of some no name stuff. It seems to be holding all its fluids fine and isn't breathing heavy at all so I'm expecting it to be a good one with decent comp. Fingers crossed it all goes well and holds together ready for mapping in June. So far it's been up and down the local roads with some load on to help push the rings out but not many revs. I'll slowly increase everything over the next few days and pray. Managed to give it a rinse down too, doesn't scrub up too bad.

Engine thrown back together with
Meg 250 rods and pistons
172 camshafts
1.9mm cometic mls headgasket
it'll be mapped up with meg 250 map sensors and possibly the 250 injectors.
320bhp here we come (crosses fingers and toes)

20220515_161013.jpg
20220515_161009.jpg

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Really enjoy reading this thread,even if realistically it means you having to f**k around taking it all apart again 😂

Twingo 1??

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo 133 Cup,
Think this has been rebuild 3/4 times in the time it's taken me to take the discs and pads off 🤣

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Right, a little recap for those at the back.

Engine is back in and running, built up in true pikey fashion. Meg 250RS rods and pistons, Cometic 1.9mm MLS head gasket. Modified 172 cams, 19T hybrid and 250RS injectors (got some new 250 map sensors to go in at the time of mapping too) Slapped in a new CG Motorsport race clutch to replace the dual friction one that was in there (no issues with the old one just wanted to make sure it could hold some more power). Ran in on millers running in oil and now on some more millers CFS. By the time its gets to Chris on Wednesday it will be up around 750 miles since putting it back together, fingers crossed if it was going to go wrong it would have by now 🤷‍♂️ I'm tempted to ask for the torque to be kept relatively low if possible and just hold it for as long as possible, this is banking on the cams actually helping push the power higher in the rev range. Its been a pig to drive in traffic as it currently cuts out when pulling up, so putting the miles on has been fun, luckily I live about 4 miles from a quiet motorway which I've been up and down a fair few times now 😆 so I'm looking forward to being able just to drive it normally again (y) I've cleaned up the bay a little also, relocated the brake/clutch reservoir to inside the car under the dash and used the freed up space to fit a breather catch tank rather than my normal pipe to somewhere handy. A new lambda was thrown in as the one in there was seemingly causing some issues where it would pin the ecu fully rich or lean. There was also a problem using the cooksport rail with the 250rs injectors, the retaining clips don't fit it, and the injector itself is slightly narrower than the r26 item meaning it could fully plunge into the inlet manifold and come out of the rail. I did actually call cooksport who claimed that they never had the same issue even without the clips, said they would call me back but never did... there was someone else on facebook with the same issue running the same style of injector. Anyway to cure the issue I had a friend from work spin up collars/spacers to sit on the injector, this stopped them being able to push into the manifold and when the rail was bolted up held them pinned in place. So far so good, hopefully they still work fine under high boost/fuel pressure.

IMG-20220528-WA0031.jpg
20220520_161524.jpg
IMG-20220520-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220520-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20220520-WA0006.jpg
20220611_085647(0).jpg

I've spent today prepping it ready for tuning, set the wheels straight on a friend ramp, one of the track rod ends was a bit seized, but nothing a bit of heat and some mole grips couldn't sort. I've actually set it quite conservatively to normal, -1.3 camber and about -0.05 toe out, plan is too see how it puts down the power and then ill adjust it from there. Plugs cleaned and checked, gaps set at .6mm.

20220611_115201.jpg

Anyway its time to play the guessing game again, What are your predictions????

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Right, a little recap for those at the back.

Engine is back in and running, built up in true pikey fashion. Meg 250RS rods and pistons, Cometic 1.9mm MLS head gasket. Modified 172 cams, 19T hybrid and 250RS injectors (got some new 250 map sensors to go in at the time of mapping too) Slapped in a new CG Motorsport race clutch to replace the dual friction one that was in there (no issues with the old one just wanted to make sure it could hold some more power). Ran in on millers running in oil and now on some more millers CFS. By the time its gets to Chris on Wednesday it will be up around 750 miles since putting it back together, fingers crossed if it was going to go wrong it would have by now 🤷‍♂️ I'm tempted to ask for the torque to be kept relatively low if possible and just hold it for as long as possible, this is banking on the cams actually helping push the power higher in the rev range. Its been a pig to drive in traffic as it currently cuts out when pulling up, so putting the miles on has been fun, luckily I live about 4 miles from a quiet motorway which I've been up and down a fair few times now 😆 so I'm looking forward to being able just to drive it normally again (y) I've cleaned up the bay a little also, relocated the brake/clutch reservoir to inside the car under the dash and used the freed up space to fit a breather catch tank rather than my normal pipe to somewhere handy. A new lambda was thrown in as the one in there was seemingly causing some issues where it would pin the ecu fully rich or lean. There was also a problem using the cooksport rail with the 250rs injectors, the retaining clips don't fit it, and the injector itself is slightly narrower than the r26 item meaning it could fully plunge into the inlet manifold and come out of the rail. I did actually call cooksport who claimed that they never had the same issue even without the clips, said they would call me back but never did... there was someone else on facebook with the same issue running the same style of injector. Anyway to cure the issue I had a friend from work spin up collars/spacers to sit on the injector, this stopped them being able to push into the manifold and when the rail was bolted up held them pinned in place. So far so good, hopefully they still work fine under high boost/fuel pressure.

View attachment 1597103View attachment 1597104View attachment 1597105View attachment 1597106View attachment 1597107View attachment 1597109

I've spent today prepping it ready for tuning, set the wheels straight on a friend ramp, one of the track rod ends was a bit seized, but nothing a bit of heat and some mole grips couldn't sort. I've actually set it quite conservatively to normal, -1.3 camber and about -0.05 toe out, plan is too see how it puts down the power and then ill adjust it from there. Plugs cleaned and checked, gaps set at .6mm.

View attachment 1597102

Anyway its time to play the guessing game again, What are your predictions????

Looks great. As for numbers no idea. With 250 injectors I’m going for 333/310 🤷‍♂️

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
BOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!

Nah only joking, so where are we at? Yesterday I took a lovely drive up to EFI Parts for a remap on the new engine setup. The drive was totally un eventful though it was a lovely day so I just took in the scenery (excluding the Birmingham area)

Once there a quick chat was had with Chris about the setup and expectations then whilst he did his Rainman thing with calibrating the ecu I fitted the 250 map sensors and set the actuator. The ECU on these is a dick to flash, around 7min a go, so everything takes a lot longer than a meg or clio. Initially it took about 45min to get it set up before it was on the dyno, once on though the calibration didn't take Chris long at all. Initially set up on gate pressure (I run switchable boost) which is now 15psi solid the car was showing good strong numbers (270ish bhp and 255ish lbft) and it was doing it with plenty of revs :D the thing was singing high!

Next up was mapping for high boost.... this is where things start to get more technical, It started climbing but very soon started to hit a bit of a wall... The hybrid turbo, though bigger and flowing well didn't flow well enough for the cams, the rear end is stock sized. Now I've introduced the 172 cams that flow very nicely they have more overlap than the stock Turbo camshafts, cams with more overlap don't tolerate high back pressure as much. We actually got to the point that adding more boost was causing the power to drop indicating we were choking the engine out. There are ways I can check to prove this but in reality I don't need too. If I want more power I need a bigger AR turbine housing or a bigger wheel put in my housing (still makes 300bhp and 290ftlb) I'm not going to lie, I was a little deflated but totally understand the outcome, its a chance you take when building a bit of a hybrid engine. That was until I drove the thing......

FARK ME, it doesn't half shift now, its quicker than it was and you rev it a lot more to make it move, It drives more like a big power N/A than a turbo motor. Peak power is being delivered right up top, It holds 280bhp and more from 5750 to 7200rpm, it was dropping off at about 6200 on the old setup. The spool up isn't effected too much either, about 200rpm later on this new setup. Rather than being delivered as a bit of a slug its been spread right out, the extra 1000rpm now also means I can do 60 to over 100mph in 3rd gear, on the road its savage. I swear this car has driven like 4 totally different ones with each iteration or step through this build.

TLDR, less (well the same) is more, still 300bhp different delivery.

IMG-20220615-WA0053.jpg
IMG-20220615-WA0052.jpg
IMG-20220615-WA0045.jpg
IMG-20220615-WA0042.jpg
IMG-20220615-WA0010.jpg
20220615_112025.jpg