ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 1.8 16v cliosport conversion

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Oi i feel like Dolly Parton here, you boys are only interested in my rack!!! Lol

The rack is a 1 off made by a now closed down company so there aren't anymore and nor is there any useful info I can really give you.

Sorry :eek:

ValverInBits
gutted, truely gutted.
edit: jord, I had a look at the track rods over the weekend and your right that the PAS rack and the manual rack have exactly the same track rods. Still couldn't work out how to get them off though. maybe i'm being a bit special

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Once you pull back the rack gaiter you'll be presented with the Inner balljoints in they're sockets. If you get a large set of grips or an adjustable spanner if there's flat points on them (can't remember off the top of my head) around the outside of these sockets they will unscrew out of the end of the rack. They are sometimes VERY tight and a bugger to do in situe. hope that helps?

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Very well spotted that man!!! While I was cooking my dinner one night I got a call from Andy saying that he wanted to build it with vtec as the car is technically a road car and the engine will be far better with cam control and only minimal compromise. I trusted him to make the right choice as his name and rep are on the engine and I still own the pullies if it doesn't work out to have been the right choice.

Win Win

Very well spotted that man!!! While I was cooking my dinner one night I got a call from Andy saying that he wanted to build it with vtec as the car is technically a road car and the engine will be far better with cam control and only minimal compromise. I trusted him to make the right choice as his name and rep are on the engine and I still own the pullies if it doesn't work out to have been the right choice.

Win Win

Good shout :cool: (i presume you meant VVT not vtec? :rasp: )

How much of a ballache was it to fit the new roof skin?

Could a similar thing be done with a lower spec (non sunroof) metal roof? Stitch welded etc

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Just a quick question...,why is everyone using or converting to manual steering racks? All the civic boys do it aswell and i cant see the logic personaly.:S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just a quick question...,why is everyone using or converting to manual steering racks? All the civic boys do it aswell and i cant see the logic personaly.:S

One less pulley for the belt to cover. Less work for the belt means a more efficent engine. A more efficient engine means more power.

clio 1.8 16v, civic vti
Not to mention a more 'direct' better feel through the steering....

Dont personaly agree with that...,if the power steering is too light like modern cars then yes, but not on the clio, plus hot slicks on a stage rally by the end of a stage power steering is your friend!

Anyone ever meassured the amount of extra power you get from removing it? seeing as in a straight line the pump is doing very little.

No disrespect to all who have done it as its your car etc, just really dont see the point, just my 2p:rasp:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Dont personaly agree with that...,if the power steering is too light like modern cars then yes, but not on the clio, plus hot slicks on a stage rally by the end of a stage power steering is your friend!

Anyone ever meassured the amount of extra power you get from removing it? seeing as in a straight line the pump is doing very little.

No disrespect to all who have done it as its your car etc, just really dont see the point, just my 2p:rasp:

I've done it on mine. My personal reason was that I wanted as little in the engine bay as possible so it makes everything easier to maintain/repair should I need to. If I'm honest adding 5hp to a car with 170hp that weighs about 900kgs isn't really worth worrying about. IMO.

I very much doubt there is much gain from removing it power wise TBH, it will just let the engine spin up that tiny bit quicker, not worth it for that though IMO.

I removed power steering because it was shi*e, leaked every 2 mins from the main joint and it was a pain in the arse to get to in the engine bay...plus its one less thing to drain and disconnect when removing the engine, and with the amount of times I do that it had to go lol ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Between two visits to Surrey Rolling Road I removed my power steering and put a homemade airbox/CAF kit on.

This added 10 bhp, Charlie (owner) says from his experience that power steering, even in it's dead-ahead 'idle' state takes about 7 bhp which would mean 3 from my airbox. Makes sense to me.

Is it worth it for 7 bhp? I think so...it was free after all :approve: and both day-to-day on the road and on track it's more than manageable (so long as you don't do what I did and man-up by fitting a 300mm steering wheel!).

Not forgetting the better feel either, it's like having two lumps of tyre tread in your hands and you can feel when they're just starting to break away and slide across the tarmac.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Tiny update but it keeps me off page 3 lol. Given the rack a bit of a makover

Photo0365.jpg

Photo0366.jpg

Photo0367.jpg

Might not look wildly different but now has some new bits like williams widetrack, track rod ends, and a nice coat of paint and now looks like new.

Last edited:
  j plate 91 449 valver,
added widetrack arms then mate. so you are planning that now! the stack dash...... i want. will probably solve most of my dash problems :p

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
WE'RE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This thread took some finding again, way back in the dusty archives of ClioSport!
We've been holding off updating this thread till we had some major progress to put on it, and finally today we have!
I'll try to keep this as short as I can, but this is a huge update!
We've been waiting on a limited slip diff from a group buy for some time now and while waiting we decided to try to get as much done as we could, so once it arrived we could put the car back together quickly.
We got the front subframe and a group of spurious backets and sent them off to powder coating which now look amazing.

Photo0489.jpg

Photo0490.jpg

Also with those parts we sent them the exhaust manifold to be ceramic coated

Photo0488.jpg

We also came accross a set of solid engine mounts in the for sale section, so we pounced on them and once they had arrived get them bolted onto the shell.

Photo0572.jpg

Photo0571.jpg

As we were going to have to have to box apart to fit the diff I gave the box to Moo who got the box apart so I could have the casings for a spot of prettying up.

Photo0484.jpg

Photo0485.jpg

Then finally after what seemed like forever the limited slip diff arrived from the gripper group buy!

Photo0575.jpg

Photo0577.jpg

So that immediatly got given to Moo to rebuild the box

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

And now with the box built with the diff, the engine mounts in and all the bracket powder coated there was nothing to stop us! So, hungover, we went off to Bedford in the 306 diesel to pick up the worlds oldest and heaviest engine crane

IMG_0075.jpg

So then we pulled the Clio back a bit to free up some space to build the engine and box up ready for fitting.

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

Photo0597.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

So with the engine and box all built up and put together it was time to finally get the engine crane down the side of the car and get the engine into the Clio

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

Then with it all sitting in the mounts we quickly fetched the throttle bodies and trial fitted them, although we do need to do some cutting to get all 4 trumpets in you get the idea!

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

Sorry about the huge post, but we're both so very excited to start making some more progress on the Clio once again!!

340i
AWESOME update....

One of the best build threads ever, the attention / quality to detail is simply brilliant!

2 questions...

Who did you use for the ceramic coating?

And... Do you want to rebuild my gearbox? lol :rasp:

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Oh amazing news !!!

Totally loving this build...will subscribe for sure, keep it up guys !

Exhaust manifold looks Awesome btw :O

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
do u still need a instrument panel pal?

Pm me on williamsclio as im breaking a valver ;)

williams 2,seat leon
blinding. you 2 should be proud of what youve accomplished with this. let me know if you ever sell it.

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Woo thanks for all the nice comments I do love the support. This post is firstly a bit of picture wh*ring followed by some attention wh*ring. First of all some of you may remember or have noticed that the suspension on this car before was to say the least a little below par as it was essentially an ebay lowering kit on a std valver narrow track. However I've put paid to that now as my Leda's turned up today and i have to say I'm chuffed to bits with them...

Photo0646.jpg

Photo0644.jpg

Photo0645.jpg

Right the second part of this post to let the loyal followers of my thread know that i've now set a target! On the 8th of August this year it's my 30th Birthday and on that weekend (7th-8th August) is "ultimate street car" at Santa Pod. I've decided i'm going to break the bank and quite possibly my own neck to have the car ready for that as it's first Run. I also plan with a lot of car mad freinds to camp over for a bit of partying and even try to squeeze in a run in the 2 seater top fueler as a present to myself.
If any of you are interested in joining us there and hopfully seeing the car run after all this time please feel free. or if your going anyway please feel free to pop over and say hi.