ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Clio 172 Cup track/race build.

Cup In bits
Is that some sarcasm I sense.

I'm far from being a very good welder but I know enough to weld a cage in. Removing all the crash protection from bumper on ph2 removes the hanging points for the slam panel I don't no how the ph1 are mounted but I need some forward support and they seem quite sturdy as is, I'll probably need a new bumper before aero catches might trY something different when I knock it about and need new bumper.

When you say tin plate, was that like a double skin?

Cup In bits
Lol at wispa, I hope I don't crash mine too bad as they seem really soft at the front and the back, the smallest of bumps and I have seen the boot floor crinkle like tinfoil. They are a lot heavier than other French s**t boxes but what NCAP rating are they, Renault are always chasing 5* in their cars.

Cup In bits
Yeah I agree but they look good lol, I'm a bit homosexual about the way I want it to look, got to keep telling myself it's a race car and function over form is the best attitude.

182cup & 172 racecar
Yeah I agree but they look good lol, I'm a bit homosexual about the way I want it to look, got to keep telling myself it's a race car and function over form is the best attitude.

Hegzakly ;)

As long as it passes the 20m rule, you are fine.

Cup In bits
Right another small update, finally got the gas bottle for welding yesterday and set about fitting my Pure Motorsport axle strengthening kit and sperical bearings.

P1000383.jpg

P1000388.jpg

Axle just needs blasted and painted and powder coated when all the brake lines have been mocked up.

Well impressed with my new welder, some good results with the axle, now to continue onto the cage.

Got my mate to blast my brake calipers, mounts and stub axles for painting, applied ceramic primer, black VHT paint and lacquer.
Forgot to take pics but will get some up tonight, brilliant results with a VHT caliper paint kit.

P1000381.jpg

I also finished my cup racer blanks ready for painting.

Only downside to last night was welding with a tshirt

P1000392.jpg

school boy error!

Cup In bits
Some more small parts arrived including storm single wiper kit, go pro with lcd screen.

Some parts from the forum so thanks to who has supplied me so far.

P1000395.jpg

Engine stands here, should start on stripping down next week if im still home and start the part rebuild.

P1000394.jpg

And finally these should arrive tomorrow all going well

IMG_1173.jpg

Hahah nice tan!

Glad to see the gopro with a good home - look forward to seeing some footage
Looking forward to seeing the storm wiper kit fitted too - I've been thinking about one for mine for AGES but not seen anyone running one yet

Cup In bits
Cant wait to see some footage myself, your into cameras right, what would you suggest for a good basic rollcage mount??

Storm kit looks like great quality, comes with everything including blanks for old wipers and a new run of washer tubing etc, It will be one of the final touches so could be a while.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looking good mate! :approve:

What sort of performance gains would you expect from the rear beam stregthening kit? is there much flex in the orgininal design???

Cup In bits
Looks like a good bit of kit, full 360 deg movement is what I'm after to change up camera positions.

My itb's turned up this morning to :cool: Where did you fit your coolant sensor as I have heard there is one that can be fitted to a bleed plug to avoid drilling thermostat housing, also what loom did you use, I'm tempted by the race loom to tidy things up.

Cup In bits

What sort of performance gains would you expect from the rear beam stregthening kit? is there much flex in the orgininal design???

I am trying to remove as much movement in any suspension component that I can as I will be using slicks, the strengthening kit firms up either end of the axle cutting down/stopping flex on the axle when lateral force is applied I.e cornering giving as close to the suspension geometry as you have applied. I would think it would change roll stiffness aswell and avoid the need for a Rear ARB.

Most of the flex on the road car come from the axle bushes so they were replaced aswell with spherical bearings. Fitting both makes the axle really stiff so there's the potential if knocked hard enough it could knacker the shell, but I will be tying my cage into axle mounts to hopefully avoid this.

Cup In bits
Also if you are using true coilovers with springs and shocks in one then on the back the kit supply's metal to box in lower shock pick up stopping the stress applied on the bolt.

Looks like a good bit of kit, full 360 deg movement is what I'm after to change up camera positions.

My itb's turned up this morning to :cool: Where did you fit your coolant sensor as I have heard there is one that can be fitted to a bleed plug to avoid drilling thermostat housing, also what loom did you use, I'm tempted by the race loom to tidy things up.

Don't know about the coolant sensor mate - I got a drilled and tapped thermostat housing with my kit so am using that.

As for wiring loom - I used the one that came with it, which I believe K-Tec made. It's awful. The injector part of the loom is about 2 foot too long and some other parts are too short. When I get some time/money I was going to buy the Omex part assembled one and measure all the lengths up to be right so that the omex is sat in the passenger footwell.
Another thing on the future "to-do" list lol

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I found a old post on here a few days ago about the coolant sensor that replaces the bleed screw, sure it was TDF and there around £50.

Trafic 140dci
I found a old post on here a few days ago about the coolant sensor that replaces the bleed screw, sure it was TDF and there around £50.
I don't like them as they are very small and fragile, i've broken one before very easily, costly thing to replace. You can get an omex one for £14.99 off ebay/demon tweaks, you'd need to drill and tap it.

182cup & 172 racecar

Original has loads of flex, we found the kit is about the same as having a rear arb fitted.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I am trying to remove as much movement in any suspension component that I can as I will be using slicks, the strengthening kit firms up either end of the axle cutting down/stopping flex on the axle when lateral force is applied I.e cornering giving as close to the suspension geometry as you have applied. I would think it would change roll stiffness aswell and avoid the need for a Rear ARB.

Most of the flex on the road car come from the axle bushes so they were replaced aswell with spherical bearings. Fitting both makes
the axle really stiff so there's the potential if knocked hard enough it could knacker the shell, but I will be tying my cage into axle mounts to hopefully avoid this.

Original has loads of flex, we found the kit is about the same as having a rear arb fitted.

Rear ARB is adjustable and so can be tailored to a particular track or weather conditions where this kit can't. And as you say, if it takes a side impact it could damage the shell. Looks a good piece of kit but can't make my mind up on it's pros and cons.

I've played with my rear set up with the stiffness of the dampers and ARB and think it can get very twitchy on cold tires and wet condition an so not being able to soften it other than the dampers sounds risky unless you're a driving god IMO. :p

Cup In bits
Cheers for that Neil.

Lewis im not wanting to drill and tap the the housing unless there's a really thick part that can get a fair few threads in as I have heard of them leaking.

I don't like them as they are very small and fragile, i've broken one before very easily, costly thing to replace. You can get an omex one for £14.99 off ebay/demon tweaks, you'd need to drill and tap it.
When I was spanner checking my car I found I could of kept turning it and called Matt he said they are not designed to be super tight and if you go nut's tightening them then they will obviously break. Did you really tighten it Lewis or is it something I should be keeping as a spare never heard of them breaking before :(

Cup In bits

Rear ARB is adjustable and so can be tailored to a particular track or weather conditions where this kit can't. And as you say, if it takes a side impact it could damage the shell. Looks a good piece of kit but can't make my mind up on it's pros and cons.

I've played with my rear set up with the stiffness of the dampers and ARB and think it can get very twitchy on cold tires and wet condition an so not being able to soften it other than the dampers sounds risky unless you're a driving god IMO. :p

My car will have fixed damping aswell which gives me even less possibility for setup changes which I kinda like as its less things to play with, tyre pressure, camber, toe in/out should be enough to change handling, possibly a softer set of springs for when its a wash out weekend.

Cup racers handled no bother so don't see why I cant. They also had a strengthened a axle.....and non adjustable camber as far as I know.

I dont think you would regret getting the kit, if you still have springs and shockers you would have to remove the spring platforms or use half the kit.

I would put the spherical bearings on my road/track car to remove that slop and just have an ARB, I cant see the adjustments on Whitlines making much difference IMHO but I have never used one on a clio.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Cheers for that Neil.

Lewis im not wanting to drill and tap the the housing unless there's a really thick part that can get a fair few threads in as I have heard of them leaking.

My thermostat is drilled. You'll be fine doing that.

Cup In bits

When I was spanner checking my car I found I could of kept turning it and called Matt he said they are not designed to be super tight and if you go nut's tightening them then they will obviously break. Did you really tighten it Lewis or is it something I should be keeping as a spare never heard of them breaking before :(

I think I will go with one of the bleed screw sensors to start with and if it brakes run the other type, I don't like the sound of them on something that's going to get abused and a bit hot from time to time.

172 cup, Impreza P1
My car will have fixed damping aswell which gives me even less possibility for setup changes which I kinda like as its less things to play with, tyre pressure, camber, toe in/out should be enough to change handling, possibly a softer set of springs for when its a wash out weekend.

Cup racers handled no bother so don't see why I cant. They also had a strengthened a axle.....and non adjustable camber as far as I
know.

I dont think you would regret getting the kit, if you still have springs and shockers you would have to remove the spring platforms or use half the kit.

I would put the spherical bearings on my road/track car to remove that slop and just have an ARB, I cant see the adjustments on Whitlines making much difference IMHO but I have never used one on a clio.

What coilovers do you have, AST 1's?

The adjustment on the whit line bars makes a difference as on hard I go drifting on cold tyres and wet days when on soft I can keep it straight.

I have kw v2's so still use the OE spring platform. I'm sure you will get use to it and never having driven a car with this kit on it I'm not sure how the car will react. If you like oversteer this may be the thing for you but if not you may have to try other things to dial it out. Guess it will be trial and error until you're happy with it.

Cup In bits
Another night at the lock up trying to knock more jobs of this never ending list.

After painting my calipers etc te other nigh gave them a chance to dry up.

P1000405.jpg

Then after receiving my stud extractor tool as two nuts locked together would budge them.

I then fitted my caliper's, carriers, braided hoses and stud kit. I won't need custom brake hoses after all, I was worried they wouldn't fit with extended track.

P1000414.jpg

Just need front and rear pads and thats the brakes complete.

I received my ITB's this morning along with Omex 600.

P1000401.jpg

They are looking a bit sorry for themselves after being on a few cars now and being painted on the car so i stripped them down and clean all the linkages and bolts and rebuilt the linkages.

P1000411.jpg

P1000412.jpg

P1000413.jpg

Manifold will be getting blasted, ported to the head and repainted, ITB's will get washed in a parts washer and a bit of blasting to bring back raw finish then lubed, airbox will get wet sanded and polished back up along with the trumpets and all aluminium parts. Some new anodized dzus fastner's and aeroquip hose and fittings ran internally back to tank and that should be induction sorted on the engine, I will be going with the Omex raychem loom if I can get rid of most of the O.E wiring and probably Race Technology dash 2 as this can be made to speak to the 600.

Cup In bits

What coilovers do you have, AST 1's?

The adjustment on the whit line bars makes a difference as on hard I go drifting on cold tyres and wet days when on soft I can keep it straight.

I have kw v2's so still use the OE spring platform. I'm sure you will get use to it and never having driven a car with this kit on it I'm not sure how the car will react. If you like oversteer this may be the thing for you but if not you may have to try other things to dial it out. Guess it will be trial and error until you're happy with it.

Im running the cup racer Bilsteins front and rear proper solid coilovers. Like you say I will get used to it or drive around it, a little bit of lift off oversteer is nice for turning in or balancing mid corner so I will see if its to much. I tend to like a pointy car set up on the front end any way.

Trafic 140dci
Mine broke when i went to undo it, that's what annoyed me i'd of known it was my fault if i'd of overtightened it lol. It was only a year old. So i'd say yeah i would have a spare if i was you.

Race Tech Dash is what I'm going for this winter - then I can bin the standard ecu and the last of the renault wiring :)

The thermostat housing is plenty thick enough to be drilled and tapped for a standard omex water temp sensor mate, Mines been in there all year and it's had some serious heat and abuse and doesn't leak at all

Cup In bits
Race Tech Dash is what I'm going for this winter - then I can bin the standard ecu and the last of the renault wiring :)

The thermostat housing is plenty thick enough to be drilled and tapped for a standard omex water temp sensor mate, Mines been in there all year and it's had some serious heat and abuse and doesn't leak at all

Yeah thats my aim to but then you have the problem of making a fully functioning interior loom which is quite a task for a road car and not the easiest for a race car either unless your handy with wires which I ain't to great it just boils my p**s. I can see myself piggy backing the standard ECU to get it going then doing a rewire and RT dash next winter.

Did you cut out most of the standard engine loom for things like acoustic valves and carbon canister etc when you fitted your Omex?

I will decide when I see it off, might get it welded to make thicker if need be. Bonus of cheaper sensors this way if there prone to stop working/break.

Cup In bits
Another little update, couldn't be ar**d with the car today so decided to rebuild the trumpets, looking brand new again with some new bolts, paint and elbow grease.

My attempt at some arty pics - fail

P1000422.jpg

P1000419.jpg

Sent back my Circuit II's today and will be getting the 2012 Corbeau Revenge XL's hopefully there a better fit this time.