ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone with a slow 172

MMMMMMM E55 would be PERFECTION, big V8, BIG POWER,BIG TOURQE, oh well we can all dream I guess..............ah...

RobFenn, there slow and fast if that helps lol :confused:

Rob - I think people mean slow in relation to other 172s or slow compared to how they should be. Still ran a couple of 15.6s in my "slow" 172 at York last year, still had 140 odd top speed and still hit 60 in about 7.2 seconds.....just should be a bit quicker for what it is supposed to be...

If you feel your car is slow, put your car in a lock up for 2 weeks, hire a nissan micra/ford fiesta/Mini one for the 2 weeks. When you get back into your 172, I guarentee your car will now feel fast!!

Rhys has sort of hit the nail on the head. I dont know about other 172s because I dont drive the others, but from what people SAY, mine isnt the same.

There are some people on here that consistently say that their 172s win against everything. If I said I barely crawled past, theyd say theyd fly past the same car in their 172. What am I supposed to think except that mine must be slow!

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 24 March 2003

Rob - I think people mean slow in relation to other 172s or slow compared to how they should be. Still ran a couple of 15.6s in my "slow" 172 at York last year, still had 140 odd top speed and still hit 60 in about 7.2 seconds.....just should be a bit quicker for what it is supposed to be...
Fair enough.

Shouldnt there be a false advertising legality somewhere? Especially for cars still under warranty?

Lee

BMW M2C

Youre not wrong JonC. While I was waiting for my car I hired a 1.0 litre Yaris for a month. It helped me out when it came to running the Clio in though, as I was used to driving round at such low speeds.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

i think people get confused.. we are not saying they are any slower I think it is all in the mind.

When I first picked up my 172 i was shocked. I thought I had picked up a ferrari it felt that quick.

But nowadays I am used to the power. and I really need to go for a long blat along some B roads..

If it drive it really slow for a few days then floor it again .. it starts to feel fast again for a wee bit.

Rhys you have a good one, want to swap? lol

I really cant tell you how stupid it feels to have some 1.4 Civic tail you, and then to get away you have to nearly kill yourself.........not my idea of fast!

But then on the way home you could be in 2nd gear, out of a 40mph hairpin, lean, and bang throught to 3rd, getting hotter now, bang rev limiter getting close..........hit 4th, great induction roar........Then the next day, its like someone nicked 40bhp!

Nay Good Sir.

S2000

Guys, I have said this umpteen times, but Ill say it again on the off chance someone will listen to me this time!

I have had 2 172s, the first one I rejected due to paint imperfections. Anyway I had that car for 3,500 miles, I never thought that the car was fast at all, infact I went completely off the 172 and was going to sell the replacement. The first car just didnt have any pull low down and not much of a change higher up. It was pathetic really!

The second car however is an absolute beast in comparison. This car completely changed my mind about the 172, straight off with practically no miles on it, I could feel the difference. It pulls hard from 2krpm and flies above 4.5krpm. I always use my mates 200+BHP Cupra as a yard stick, I can stay with it til 120MPH, now that car is an animal in a straight line!! Also a 15.08(missing 4th gear) 1/4 mile run, proves it is no slouch!

I do feel sorry for the guys that have slow cars, coz when you get a good one, theyre fantastic cars!

The only thing that I could suggest is to take it along to your dealer and tell them you dont think it is running right. Ask them to upgrade your ECU to the latest version, new versions of the software are given to the dealers quite frequently!

Quote: Originally posted by Norfolk-172 on 24 March 2003

I really cant tell you how stupid it feels to have some 1.4 Civic tail you, and then to get away you have to nearly kill yourself.........not my idea of fast!
Exactly, and then when I hear people saying that the 172 is about the same as the CTR up to 100, it makes me laugh (Id like to think it was but really cant see it). If it has to bust a gut to get away from a 1.4, how is it going to catch up with a Type R!!! Obviously I wasnt there, but I cant imagine Norfolk-172 lying about something like that!

Teady - Yeah, 15.08 is a really good time for a MK2 172 from what Ive seen. Less than a 1/10th seconds off the best Ive seen a Cup manage. Sound like you have one of the "good" ones! Lucky git.

Mite try that teady172, could sort the thing out for me.

Yep thinking of an Alfa GTV 3.0ltr now, But why should I have the hit and miss luck of getting a good Clio! Renault really are a long way off the mark as regards build quality, and I mean that in all respects. They produce great cars..........if you get a good un!

It would put me off another Renault im afrade. But the Cup does look sooooo good......mmmmmm lol

Teady - Id never heard you say that before. I dont disbelieve what you are saying at all but in my eyes, having to pray to get a good one just isnt good enough. Ive no doubt that yours is a bit special and that it transformed the car but if Renault cant maintain that quality control across them all, then its appalling.

This debate could go on forever - batch of people who think their car is great, trying to explain to the others just how quick they are and another group who feel short changed who cant understand why people would call them quick!

Yep cant agree more Mike, Civic TypeR would be a real beast.

And yep it was a mighty 1.4.......really does get up ya nose, makes the 172 seem a little slower than you thought lol

S2000

Dont get me wrong guys, I think its pathetic you have to hope and pray to get a good 172. If I was you I wouldnt hesitate to change it at the first opertunity!

Maybe it was a more worthy Civic with a 1.4 badge on it??

Ive been known to dig out the 1.2 badges from my old 1.2 Clio and stick them on my tuned 16v :devilish: Priceless!

320d M Sport

sometimes my car feels really slow, sometimes it flies? cant explain it? as long as it goes when i need to thats the main thing! seems i have a good one though?

rhys.

did u ever think though that just cause u had 136 at wheels doesnt mean u didnt have 172 at the fly.

same with all of you - all transmission losses are different in all cars. even though u still have the same make, mk, model etc. they will still be different from each other as no engine part is the same

Quote: Originally posted by mikeherts on 24 March 2003

From what people with 172s on here say, I cant even believe Im driving the same car. I dont identify with anything being said. Im almost intrigued enough to fork out on a rolling road to see if I have one of these supposedly bad ones!
I agree, I had a Mk1 172 and it was bloody quick, no problem beating a hard driven BMW328i. The Cup is significantly faster in all areas. THe 172 is a very fast car for the money and couple that with the handling it makes a fantastic package.

Ben - Sorry, but if I was losing 18bhp by the time the power got to the wheels compared to Paddys car, then Id say there was still something seriously wrong. That car was not up to power and not as powerful/quick as other standard MK2 172s. So there. :p

320d M Sport

neeh nehhh nu nee nee!! :p Rhys, might need your help taking my back seats out for when i go York if thats okay matey?

The car will feel really nimble and it gets moving quicker. Its also MUCH louder without the seats and parcel shelf. You can hear this great whooshing noise when you floor it. Its cool.

The rear seats and backrest weigh about 20kg in total. Ditch the spare and thats 40kg and a noticeable difference. Im going to do the same to the Willy....just got to pursuade the the girlfriend!

yea rhy its still definetly underpowered but i mean u could have lost it all though a bad transmission loss and still have approx 172 at the fly...

still u made the right chioce. stay old school !! ;)

RPM - dont worry, I dont think you are affected with you 14 seconds to the ton 172 ;-)

Ben - Possible, but more likely a gammy engine, I reckon. Who cares, its gone now. Ill insist on a RR print out from a reliable RR centre before buying a 172 again. Anyway, the Willy might not (quite) have the horsies that the 172 (156?) had, but it handles better <runs for cover> ;)

I dont think youre saying anything controversial there Rhys! I always understood that a 172 was slightly quicker in a straight line (which has now been disproved!?:confused:) and that the Williams was quicker through the corners. You take your pick really...

ICE'dberg MK2 172

My comparison on the same rolling road:-

Standard.....mailto:S163@tf"> mailto:163@tf ">163@tf

Viper & K-tec.... mailto:158@tf">158@tf

Viper & K-tec & Remap.... mailto:180@tf">180@tf

You really need to use the same rolling road to gain an accurate comparison of any mods done as they all vary in some ways. Plus if you want to compare yours to others too.

Anyone want to organise another RR day??????????

Ive sometimes had the same thing with mine - feels sh*t quick at times, other times seems slightly unresponsive (but still quick). Ive definately noticed that for the first 15-20mins while it warms up, its not that responsive. After that it seems to wake up.

Well all this talk about the speed of 172s put me in the mood to go for a spin down some coutry lanes :) Well ive concluded from this, that yes it is very quick - and still able to scare me ;)

Would be intesting if people at the next meet maybe gave other peoples cars a spin (if u could bear to do it) and see if theres much diff?

matt - the Willy handling is quite a revelation. Its the best handling car Ive ever owned. Not for a second suggesting that the 172 is anything other than very good indeed, but the Willy responds to my ham fisted attempts at driving sooooo well.

I cant tell whether or not the Willy is quicker than the 172 as they are very different to drive (engine wise, anyway).....I reckon at least as quick as my 172 but dont know about others. Its got a de-cat, panel filter and Craggys Hillpower chip on it at the moment and it goes like stink (but has lost its ABS! :eek:).

Fancy a run against your MK1 some time soon? Craig (adams_16v) has aquired an AP22...do a same place/day comparison with our cars. Get some more figures for people to argue over.... :p

Rhys

Alfa Mito 155TB

mikeherts

if you think your car is running slow...if your running optimax try running the tank down and fill up with something like Fina sul...then take your car on a long thrashing drive until the car is empty again....you might just need to get the car really hot to blow the carbon off the valves....drive it hard like it needs to be driven!!!

If your car is on unleaded , empty tank and fill with Shell optimax and do same above!!