ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone with a slow 172

Hi Tumbleweed

I run it on Optimax when I can and Total SUL (usually because its close to where I work). Makes no difference. Its not a case of running slow at the moment - it never ran any different! Its only a 4 months old, so Id hope it wasnt clogged with carbon!

Hi at the moment my 172 is ace it goes like f**k, well happy there not been much that kicks my ares big time, it performs well all the time
i never go out to look for a race but things like xr3i and xr2i are a joke
also i run it on optimax to one week normal fuel the next. with optimax
it red lines no problem and pulls like a f**ing beast it does make a difference so i run it all the time now

before this i had a civic vti 1.6 vtec this F**cker red lined at 9000rpm
and was well quick but the clio wins hands down the civic top end was 130 the clio gets to 140 mph

Cheers shorty

OK, the only way to make a real world comparison is for everyone to post accelleration times on rolling starts through the gears on a flat/level road. Standing starts have too many variables and is very much dependent on driver skill and road conditions.

A standard method should be adopted to keep consistancy.eg testing 30-70 - start in 2nd gear rolling steady at 30mph then floor the throttle till you past 70mph. Same for 40-100 starting in 3rd again rolling at 40mph before flooring the throttle. (Dont floor the throttle at 20mph and start timing when you hit 30 or 40 mph as the accellerating car has extra inertia to help lower times even more. Key is to keep consistant to be able to make good comparison for all cars taking part)

Post your accelleration times, detailing road conditions (wet or dry), ambient air temperature, tyre pressure, fuel used, modifations carried out on car etc.

Ill post my times tomorrow evening. Perhaps start a new thread to make it easy to reference.

CTR EK9 turbo

hmmm, with regards to fast or slow 172s: Mine feels slow when its cold i.e. left outside all night and first driver out of my road. It kinda surges and does all sorts of weird things while its warming up. Once its been warmed up for about 15-20 mins then its pretty quick. Also its really quick after its been given a fast run, turned off and then turned on again. It kinda has a time out or a rest and then wants to play again. To be honest tho, once warm its pretty much consistantly quick. Remember, the clio engine bay is tres small so lots of heat builds up in there and probably gets sucked into the engine. Its had a couple of slow moments that are really noticeable, but my last car had these. Its just a factor of what happens to your car, probably linked to engine temp, quality of fuel - perhaps some crap got into the injectors? carbon or whatever. Maybe sucking in too many fumes from the car in front!!

My car felt slowest when i once was messing around taking off the cold air feed pipes to make it sound meaty. I connected them up and my car felt AWFULLY slow. I was thinking, "oh no, ive sucked some mailto:cr@p">cr@p in there and its screwed up", but what had really happened was that id disconnected the pipes to the airbox wrongly and they were squeezing each other too tightly! instead of 172 it felt more like 72!!! have a check of your pipes all you guys with "slow" 172s. Perhaps the factory of the garage connected them wrongly (easy to do) and theyre fouling each other. Just think of it like this. Is it easier to breath through a straw or through a normal mouth? you know the answer. Im always checking to see that the pipes are "round-shaped" and not squashed by squeezing them. Have a good look dudes.......

mines fast. Car full of shopping + 1 up, and half tank full,-- some guy in new seat toledo (not slow) (but not fast) tried in vain to keep up with me after tailing me for a while up a dual c, then onto another dual c uphill i ended up pulling a huge distance i was !20. You know when you see another car behind you caining it (you can tell), well the mong must of thought he could keep up, but a fast car will be about half car length behind he was 40+ or more i couldnt tell but i could see him killing it just trying to keep up WHY BOTHEr? My girl f said slow down as ive left him and proved a point. So i slowed to reasonable speed and he comes flying past LOL. I bet he thought he won mwhahaha. i mean its as if he thinks im going to race him from here to baghdad!

Are some people born stupid?

the thing ive noticed speaking to many a ren driver is that rens seem to perform better day to day.

some days u get in and it drives like a dog, handles crap and accelerates terrible, other days u get in and it hugs the road, speeds on to 60 and drives like a dream.

it either some terrible paranoier that thousands of ppl are suffering or rens are just like that!!!!! we drive tempremental cars......

as for the bhp figures.....john nobles are meant to be one of the most acurate RRs in the country. they build n test noble engines and cars day to day and really know what they are doin.

all i have to say really is paul worthingtons cup hit 160bhp at the fly and 130 @ the wheels

not at all the 172 its claimed to have, which i think its very poor.

then as someone mentioned above on page 1 its down to power to weight ratio. u can put a 19 16v with 200bhp against a lotus elise with 200bhp and the difference is gona be imense. no competition.

Ray

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 24 March 2003

how do we time it correctly?
Obviously there are gonna be variations on how accurate when timing with a stop watch and checking the speedo, so several runs will have to be made to get an average, and people have to be "honest" with their times. Its not gonna be 100% accurate, but should give an excellent indication on the variation of performance between the different cars.

Well if it makes some of you feel better ive owned loads of cars all performance type - I found with every single one that some days they felt faster than others. Before buying my Willie I got a shot of a car I had previously owned and then sold to my sister (a RS1800). She is selling it an I was after a car so I got a shot. The first time I took it out I thought this is quite nippy the second time it felt so so slow lots slower than the first!! My Willie is the same, sometimes feels fast, sometimes very fast but when ever I check it against my benchmark its allways the same speed.

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Well mine always feels fast !! It never seems to run slow and always brings a big grin to my face !!

To say that there are slow 172s is quite acurate !! It eally depends how it was driven from new !! If you run it in, with Renaults quidelines, you are gonna have a slow one. However if you thrash it from new, then its gonna be faster.

We have two guys at our place who have 172s, one thrashes the arse of his and its quick, the other poddles about and his is slow.

I know this gos against how you 172 boys like to treat your cars like babies, but in all my expierence of driving new cars. The only way to get em going quick, is to thrash em from new.

Just my own opinion so dont shot me down in flames.

Abarth 500

My Cup is quick.

After just 2 weeks when I was kind of getting used to it, I was worried it wasnt as quick as I thought It should have been but I went for a spin in my old Y plate 1.2 16v. I used to think it was a quick car but it sure made me appreciate my Cup again!

You do definately see a difference on how cars are run in. It is possible for you to get the ecu reset at your local garage, so all those slow 172s that were run in gently should be taken back to the garage and plugged into the laptop. Now all the components *are* run in, you can drive it like your arse is on fire effictively from day 1. You will notice the difference, I promise...