ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

I got them today.

I'll post more pictures on Monday of the progress. Just going to take measurements of the Roper head and the CNC Rick wood head I have to get the best of both to try and make the ultimate head for you

If you are trying to produce the ultimate head I would not use that type of head casting there are better versions in the F4R range.

Steve

If you are trying to produce the ultimate head I would not use that type of head casting there are better versions in the F4R range.

Steve

i know but its a head BIGBASH wanted to use, I've seen very good results from the later small port heads. But I've never done a back to back test. It all depends on how it will be used and this will be living its life above 5k+ Rpms..

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I take it that's a ph1 head then?

I have a spare of each so will be interesting to know...

I did Ph1 Toms and Scotts Ph1 heads

I also did JamesWilson's Ph2 head and TBH he gained the most from what i see

I enlarged and reshaped the ports but not to the size of a ph1 head on Ph2 heads to keep port verlosity

Ph1 head get a little port matching but the rest is just reshaping the ports and blending.

i know but its a head BIGBASH wanted to use, I've seen very good results from the later small port heads. But I've never done a back to back test. It all depends on how it will be used and this will be living its life above 5k+ Rpms..

I have spoken to BIGGASH about what I would use, it is not the ports size that is the issue, they can be increased far bigger than what is actually required.
The combustion chamber shrouding the valves that is the problem, I did look at reshaping the chamber to help, but it got too expensive.

Steve

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I did Ph1 Toms and Scotts Ph1 heads

I also did JamesWilson's Ph2 head and TBH he gained the most from what i see

I enlarged and reshaped the ports but not to the size of a ph1 head on Ph2 heads to keep port verlosity

Ph1 head get a little port matching but the rest is just reshaping the ports and blending.

Hi. :)

HAS a huge huge thread already actually. Its a bit of a legendary build thread actually. From standard and now super rare and valuable (one of 583 made) genuine Exige S1' road car into a winning race car. Its on Exiges.com... but been linked to lots of other forums as was a really interesting and informative build.

Its one of my best friends cars. I remember him buying it new 12 years ago!!!! he said he wouldnt modify it one bit.... well that went out the window straight away! Here is a pic I took when I borrowed it when new!

A0A2DE4F-713B-4C11-926E-FB32EC8A14D6_zpssawvyqkf.jpg

514FBCBE-677D-4A51-985E-47FAB6963823_zps6lp01w0q.jpg

some pics when it was a race winner before the transformation began into full wide nutter spec...

AA46D5E7-7B8F-4D65-80B7-2625F0F1ECDC_zpsiwtobku2.jpg

C5E2A570-7DB0-497F-A07C-F4C1784731A5_zpspoyuqwpr.jpg

Spec is MONSTROUS.

I helped sort and an Audi 20v for a well known Time Attack Lotus Exige, good spec, converted 2 liter, steel main caps, steel girdle, baffeled sump, steel rods, forged pistons, solid lifters, deep locating shims, Piper mechanical profile cams, Piper vernier, Neil Roper ported head, double valve springs, +1mm valves, should see 600+ bhp if required.

Steve

I helped sort and an Audi 20v for a well known Time Attack Lotus Exige, good spec, converted 2 liter, steel main caps, steel girdle, baffeled sump, steel rods, forged pistons, solid lifters, deep locating shims, Piper mechanical profile cams, Piper vernier, Neil Roper ported head, double valve springs, +1mm valves, should see 600+ bhp if required.

Steve
Sounds pretty much the same engine spec as mine Steve although mine is 2.1 with different crank and has Catcams and not sure who did the headwork :)

Last edited:
Clio Update:

So since the dog box exploded at Brands it has been apart and upto Gripper who are now making another Pinion shaft and then going to rebuild the box hopefully for the last time, This is a time consuming job though so in the meantime they have sorted me out with a box to keep me going (Very good of them :))

The original plan was to take the car down to Pure Motorsport with no engine in next week for the Adjustable top mounts fitting and was probably going to go with the adjustable wishbone kit too but that’s not happening any more so I’ve booked Brand Hatch GP in a few weeks and got the car back together tonight!

Went back together nicely other than being a few litres short of coolant on the shelf so will sort that tomorrow. Car started up on the press of the button :)

I’ve left the engine as it was and thats now coupled with a Speedo drive box with Gripper diff, std JC5 130 CW+P and shorter 5th gear. It seemed pointless to pull my good engine apart just for the sake of the Supertech pistons in it so for what i’d of spent in multiple gaskets, head bolts, cam belts etc it makes more sense to build a new bottom end up Supertech pistons, Megane rods and the ALD head with uprated springs and Supertech valves. I’m resisting creeping the spec at the moment although its very tempting to use the Catcams solid top end kit I have or start putting Arrow rods in but I keep reminding myself its just an engine for me to see if I want more power or if it will be enough.

This engine will go into the car with the dog box, light flywheel and billet/organic clutch after Le Mans and then upto RS-Tuning for mapping.

So the car is now ready to go on its next outing and the Lotus arrives on Thursday so that will be getting my attention in the garage until the next time the Clio spits its dummy!

IMG_2406_zpsd6a93e08.jpg

Thanks
James

Managed to get some work done on your head, by starting on the inlets

CB66EFF0-B762-46A4-95CA-BEC520362967_zpsmjklvydu.jpg

BE4C2799-1D05-4E68-B111-DE929D6761F8_zpsnwu6wjgj.jpg

I've taken measurements of the Roper head and and Ric wood head and the inlets and the exhaust ports are the same, Look like the Roper head has had some combustion chamber modifications so i started to modify some standard valves so i can do the chamber mods

F91F071F-677A-44C8-9797-9333F9D8CE61_zpsdraeobi3.jpg

CCDECF33-D73E-4917-AD2B-BF393CB6785A_zpsms3dvbro.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
James/Andrew just a bit of info.

Andrew did the work on my head and also gave it a skim, (8 tho i belive) the problem is that i can not get the tensioner marks to line up. I put some plastic shims between the idle roller and the cambelt untill i got the marks to line up.

The total thickness of the shims was 2mm so i need a idle roller 4mm bigger than i have, Fred said that he had these in stock and would post me one out.

3 weeks later i am still waiting and getting pissed off tbh, i even drove to Freds on Monday which was over a 300 mile round trip. Said it was posted and should be with me yesterday/today.

Still nothing, so what i am saying James is to sort out a larger ider pulley now from Fred if you can or get something made up ready.

Just a heads up mate as i dont want you waiting over 3 weeks if you need your car back and running asap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I don't see who if you head was skimmed by 0.2mm you are now missing ten times that amount from your belt tension?

James/Andrew just a bit of info.

Andrew did the work on my head and also gave it a skim, (8 tho i belive) the problem is that i can not get the tensioner marks to line up. I put some plastic shims between the idle roller and the cambelt untill i got the marks to line up.

The total thickness of the shims was 2mm so i need a idle roller 4mm bigger than i have, Fred said that he had these in stock and would post me one out.

3 weeks later i am still waiting and getting pissed off tbh, i even drove to Freds on Monday which was over a 300 mile round trip. Said it was posted and should be with me yesterday/today.

Still nothing, so what i am saying James is to sort out a larger ider pulley now from Fred if you can or get something made up ready.

Just a heads up mate as i dont want you waiting over 3 weeks if you need your car back and running asap.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I know Chip, dont want to clog James thread up with my crap but my marks won't line up.

I have a problem that i now have to over come, i just wanted to make James aware mate.

This head will be given the very lightest of skins due to the high comp pistons. The head will be cc'd after to find out the compression ratio.

RB 182
What is the pulley people use to cure this?

Call Fred, he sourced it for my engine and has used it on a few others with skimmed heads. They are a far better quality idler puller than the Renault ones too :) I think you might need to make a small spacer for this pulley, I don't think the centre boss sits back far enough but I could be wrong. Best to check with Freddy.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Call Fred, he sourced it for my engine and has used it on a few others with skimmed heads. They are a far better quality idler puller than the Renault ones too :) I think you might need to make a small spacer for this pulley, I don't think the centre boss sits back far enough but I could be wrong. Best to check with Freddy.

Flol.

Yeah good luck with Fred, guys a proper messer.

Fred said that he had these in stock and would post me one out.