ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Golf GTD Mk7
Wouldn't even matter if they were shorter - if you talk to anyone that understands the way bolts work - 90% of the stress is taken on the first 3 or 4 threads

If the bolts come out - it wasn't torqued up properly - simple as
Just like everything else on the initial build of this car - no detail to attention at all. I think that's fairly obvious just looking at the wiring loom lol

Not the same, but for example, my exhaust cam spun after a garage changed the belts. I had fitted CATCAM 421s which were used, and because the stud was had shrunk slightly, and even though the nut was torqued up correctly, it loosened off and spun :(

Evo 5 RS
Well if the same person fitted my rear shocks that did said error then it makes perfect sense. They need to sack 'that' off before anything else goes wrong for a start.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Not the same, but for example, my exhaust cam spun after a garage changed the belts. I had fitted CATCAM 421s which were used, and because the stud was had shrunk slightly, and even though the nut was torqued up correctly, it loosened off and spun :(

you've been spun some double bullshit there

1. the stud can be wound in too deep on catcams as the thread goes deeper than standard, this is a mistake made by those who don't know how to do it.
2. if the nut wound off it wasn't tightened properly. no question. I've seen plenty that have had the stud fitted too deep and none have ever spun. I'm going to go with it wasn't angle tightened at all

Golf GTD Mk7
Oh. Maybe the case as they guy had never used aftermarket cams on Clio's before. Needless to say it made a mess of my engine eitherway.

220 Trophy
Thanks James. I assumed you'd be running slicks? The DZ03's look a good alternative to the 888's if I don’t go with slicks, but having used the 888's in torrential rain (on track) I know they're fantastic and probably therefore the better of the two if I'm only going to have the one set of track tyres. I have a brand new set of T1-R's for the road and was thinking of running these on track when it's wet and then the slicks for when its dry but in all likelihood I'll wait until next year when I SORN the car, get a trailer and can then have a set of wets and also slicks and not have to worry about road tyres. Hope you get the car sorted mate! BR, Mark

Take some pics of your end crank cap please all angles..
No worries mate will drop you another email with them but will be late tonight before I can sort i'm afraid
Least the cams are ok, guess you'll be keeping them then. (If you've got any sense :p) Weird how the bolts nowhere to be found. Maybe someone forgot their left loosey from their righty tighty
Yes i'm really glad as it opens up my options :) I changed my mind last night while chatting it over with a mate and think I will keep them. Money is tight and all the small jobs for winter are really racking upto a lot more than I can really afford so will probably not change the cams just to save some money
The ARP bolts are 3/8" AF socket, 12 point IIRC.
Oooo I might have one of those tbf!
Thanks James. I assumed you'd be running slicks? The DZ03's look a good alternative to the 888's if I don’t go with slicks, but having used the 888's in torrential rain (on track) I know they're fantastic and probably therefore the better of the two if I'm only going to have the one set of track tyres. I have a brand new set of T1-R's for the road and was thinking of running these on track when it's wet and then the slicks for when its dry but in all likelihood I'll wait until next year when I SORN the car, get a trailer and can then have a set of wets and also slicks and not have to worry about road tyres. Hope you get the car sorted mate! BR, Mark
No worries :) No not for CSCC we have to use list 1a tyres. Yes definitly but if you have a set of decent wets (maybe R1R's) then I would go with the direzzas. Plans sound good mate. Thank you, James

Wow I wasn't expecting to have half an hours reading just from the last 12 hours lol!

I can't say if they were fitted correctly, I have had other bolts come loose and the sump bolts I took off the other night were mega tight but who knows and I can't blame TDF for the engine unless I know for sure which I never will so i'm just going to forget it.

Don't flame me for this and you've got to remember i'm a novice but surely if someone can kindly tell me the tourque figures for the ARP's then I can check the others? I know it could of just been one that hadn't been tourqed correctly but at least it would indicate if they had overlooked touquing them?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
47-49Nm if they were done with a torque wrench, may be a little different if they were done with a stretch gauge. Matt once flamed me on here and told me ARP's were impossible to fit correctly without a stretch gauge.

Evo 5 RS
Meh, engines let go at the end of the day. Just seems a bit funneh don't it

No worries on cams James lol, worth a shot ;)

Last edited:
47-49Nm if they were done with a torque wrench, may be a little different if they were done with a stretch gauge. Matt once flamed me on here and told me ARP's were impossible to fit correctly without a stretch gauge.
Nice one I will go play tonight :) Not a clue what a stretch gauge is lol
Meh, engines let go at the end of the day. Just seems a bit funneh don't it
Yeah exactly mate! The only reason i'm taking it apart is to actually learn how the engine is put together rather than my previous knowledge which is turn the key and drive it lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Torque for undoing will be different to torque for doing up (when doing up the stretch of the bolt hinders you, when undoing it helps you)

Put a torque wrench on 40lbft and try and tighten the others, if it doesnt click straight away then they were blatantly all too loose, if it does then you will have to give him the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Although personally even if the other 6 are tight I still say those 2 were loose.

Torque for undoing will be different to torque for doing up (when doing up the stretch of the bolt hinders you, when undoing it helps you)

Put a torque wrench on 40lbft and try and tighten the others, if it doesnt click straight away then they were blatantly all too loose, if it does then you will have to give him the benefit of the doubt I guess.

Although personally even if the other 6 are tight I still say those 2 were loose.
Sorry yes mate I meant for me to tighten them to see if they kept turning before clicking

Cool I will give that a try tonight when I get in the garage :)

Yeah I can't see how else they aren't there but not much I can do

I think the whole "bolt could have been undertorqued" would bother me if it was my engine - but no where near as much as sending me out racing without a working oil temp or pressure gauge. I have a working oil temp and pressure gauge on my car and it cost about £50 in bits and 30mins of my time.

Grrr

I think the whole "bolt could have been undertorqued" would bother me if it was my engine - but no where near as much as sending me out racing without a working oil temp or pressure gauge. I have a working oil temp and pressure gauge on my car and it cost about £50 in bits and 30mins of my time.

Grrr
Oh yes mate it does bother me but not much I can do so don't want to sit here and slate TDF unless 100% it wasn't correct its just not the way I am. Don't want false information out there.

Until a few weeks ago I always presumed it had a pressure warning light and the oil temp sensor I paid for to be fitted ontop of the original project because that didn't include it and then the car went back 7 times as it wasn't working (Surprisingly it hadn't even been fitted) then it worked for 1 day in my garage and then went again :(

I did try and sort both out before Oulton which is when I discovered the wiring, spoke with race technology about how I could wire them up they asked to see a photo of the DL1 connector and the Dash 2 to see what inputs/outputs had been used and then just laughed at the wiring and said forget it so it never got done :(

Golf GTD Mk7

Grrr

Guide needed for this ;)

Oh yes mate it does bother me but not much I can do so don't want to sit here and slate TDF unless 100% it wasn't correct its just not the way I am. Don't want false information out there.

Until a few weeks ago I always presumed it had a pressure warning light and the oil temp sensor I paid for to be fitted ontop of the original project because that didn't include it and then the car went back 7 times as it wasn't working (Surprisingly it hadn't even been fitted) then it worked for 1 day in my garage and then went again :(

I did try and sort both out before Oulton which is when I discovered the wiring, spoke with race technology about how I could wire them up they asked to see a photo of the DL1 connector and the Dash 2 to see what inputs/outputs had been used and then just laughed at the wiring and said forget it so it never got done :(

I can understand them saying that to be honest after seeing the wiring - fecking hell
I'm supposed to be getting the Race Tech dash for my own this winter - I reckon even I could do a better job of wiring it in than that lol

Guide needed for this ;)

Hahah it's not hard mate - £10 ebay sandwich plate, fit sensors into sandwich plate, run 4 wires into dashboard and connect to gauges.

Haha yes I know lol!

Yes mate its not difficult, I have got to get all new connectors for mine but was reading up on it the other day and basically one connector goes to the ECU and the other for various inputs but looks easy enough :)

Golf GTD Mk7
Hahah it's not hard mate - £10 ebay sandwich plate, fit sensors into sandwich plate, run 4 wires into dashboard and connect to gauges.

Ah so you didn't do the sump plug method. Fare enough. It would be cool to run it into the ecu ideally, but gauges are more useful. I can hide them somewhere I suppose :) Where did you take the power from?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My dash2 works by an interface cable to my autronic SM4 ecu, it allows me to see anything at all that the ECU can see, and I can program specific outputs on the ECU too if I want to which it will publish too.

I assume the EC1 can do similar with an interface as well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah so you didn't do the sump plug method. Fare enough. It would be cool to run it into the ecu ideally, but gauges are more useful. I can hide them somewhere I suppose :) Where did you take the power from?

With a decent dash, if you put them into the ecu, you can see them on the dash too as well, and set alarms etc.

I took a power feed from back of ignition across to where the head unit was - then split it into the gauges.
Connected an earth to the main bar running behind the dash and split that into the gauges too
Even found a 12v feed to the standard switches (hazard etc..) which comes on with the headlights so the gauges light up too.

The wiring from the gauges to the sender units was just 2 wires - so ran 4 through into the engine bay and connected up - jobs a good un

I'm hoping to swap to a Race Tech dash over winter so then I'll want to connect them to the dashboard rather than gauges - but the gauges are nice and visible when you're out on track - I stuck them where the head unit used to be along with a wideband lambda gauge :)

The sump plug method scares the s**t out of me - having something stuck out under the car that when you smash off dumps all your engine oil everywhere lol

My dash2 works by an interface cable to my autronic SM4 ecu, it allows me to see anything at all that the ECU can see, and I can program specific outputs on the ECU too if I want to which it will publish too.

I assume the EC1 can do similar with an interface as well.
Yes sorry the EC1 does have the interface but mine still has quite a few wires into conn2 on the dash 2 for warning lights etc I think
With a decent dash, if you put them into the ecu, you can see them on the dash too as well, and set alarms etc.
The problem with the EC1 is if you run either Pit lane speed limiter or Launch control then there aren't enough inputs to run temp/pressure sensors too so have to go direct to the Dash or Datalogger

Golf GTD Mk7
Jonny if you don't run either PLSL or Launch control then I think pin 29 on the ECU is for an NTC input i.e. Oil temp :)

Are you sure it's 29 mate? I'm looking at the pin diagram on SX and it says 29 is AUX. 31 is NTC. Unless you have different wiring information?

Golf GTD Mk7
This is what i've got;

Pin
Name
Description
Notes
VBATT
Battery Voltage Direct
Direct Battery Power 6-15V
VKEY
Ignition Key Input
Switched Ignition Feed
GROUND
Power Ground

INJ1
Injector 1
5A Protected Output
INJ2
Injector 2
5A Protected Output
INJ3
Injector 3
5A Protected Output
INJ4
Injector 4
5A Protected Output
DIG_GND
Crank/Cam Sensor Ground
Digital Ground
CRANK
Crank Sensor
Hall effect or Variable Reluctance input
CAM1
Inlet Camshaft Sensor Bank 1
TCOOL
Coolant Temp Input
0-5V Analog Input
TAIR
Air Temp Input
0-5V Analog Input
IGN1
Power or TTL Ignition Coil 1
Hardware selected output type
IGN2
Power or TTL Ignition Coil 2
IGN3
Power or TTL Ignition Coil 3
IGN4
Power or TTL Ignition Coil 4
LINEAR1
Analogue Input 1
User Configurable 0-5V Analog Input
CAM2
Inlet Camshaft Sensor Bank 2
NTC_GND1
Temp Sensors Ground
Analog Ground
LAMBDA1
Lambda Sensor Bank 1
0-5V Analog Input
CANH
CAN High
To PC comms DB9
CANL
CAN Low
To PC comms DB9
PROG
Program Enable
To PC comms DB9
RELAY1
Relay Output
User Programmable Relay Function
RELAY2
Fuel Pump Relay Output
Relay Output (Fuel Pump & O2 Heater Relay)
PWM1
Pulse Width Modulated Output 1
User Configurable Output Function, 5A Protected Output
PWM2
Pulse Width Modulated Output 2
User Configurable Output Function, 5A Protected Output
AUX1
Auxiliary Output 1
5A Protected Output
AUX2
Auxiliary Output 2
5A Protected Output
LINEAR_GND1
TPS & MAP Ground
Analog Ground
NTC_1
NTC Sensor Input 1
Temperature Sensor Input
TPS1
Throttle Position Sensor Input 1
0-5V Analog Input
MAP
Manifold Pressure Sensor Input
0-5V Analog Input
VREF1
TPS & MAP Reference Voltage
5V Reference
GROUND
Power Ground

Sorry mate you are right I think, I couldn't decide between 31 and 29 but then had a feeling 31 was a power although this is all of my head so you will be correct :) How will you get the info from the ECU though? Do you run aftermarket dash?