ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

BIGASH/FF-Racing X85 Clio Cup Racer Project

Great write up. Cannot believe that was just 6000 words I've read. Sound like you've had an amazing journey over last 6 months.

Great driving on the vids. The spa video was fantastic until the pop. Good luck with the new engine.

Sell it on eBay you'll make enough to find a new one. Lol

You got another one or you going to repair?
Haha! Got my eyes peeled for a decent 182 engine but not really rushing things on that side for now :)
Clean the block up - put a piece of glass on top - new living room coffee table ;)
Haha i'm trying to sell my house and I dont think potential buyers will like it as an ornament lol
You say the bottom of the rod is missing, that makes it sound a lot like rod bolt failure rather than rod failure, as if the rod had snapped there would still be the bottom half attached to the crank in most cases.

Were the rod bolts ARP (you should be able to read it on the head of the remaining bolts if they are), as I know you had a few issues with TDF (practicing my understatements there...) and I just wondered if they did actually fit the bolts you were under the impression they did?

Its pretty unusual for a set of ARPs to fail at only 7800rpm, but on the other hand of course if the bearing had spun it puts MUCH higher loads on them once the clearance opens up as a result of thinner metal when the bearing wears down.
Weird we didnt hear a knocking at idle when queueing to get onto the circuit, must have all happened in the space of a couple of laps which is quite unusual.

I would strongly recomend you datalog oil pressure as well in future, if you had done so this time we would be able to see if you were getting surge when cornering hard on those off camber bends.
Yes I was kind of expecting standard rod bolts but they are ARP's :) I can't even find the two from the rod that has gone lol

I will get decent photos later when I get to the car :)

Yes it is on the list for winter so will be sorted!
Top Write up James. Great end to the season and probably a fitting end to the car dying on track at Spa. I'm sure Fred will be putting a top dollar engine intio your car the man kniows his onions and with you in the driving seat 2013 looks bright. I see on FB Fred just got his race licence as well.....hmmm. Wish you all the best Buddy and if your about be good to catch up in the 'off season'.
Thanks Andy, yes quite lucky it held out till the last day of the year! Spa seems very hard on engines anyway so I dont think that helped!

He certainly does and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with :) Thank you mate! Haha yes he has been trying to sort that now for a couple of months, we will see what happens ;)

Yes would be good mate, you doing any more track days this year? I'm at Donington a couple of times between now and December I think
I take it you're gonna keep the cams James lad? If not pm me lol
Not sure yet need to speak to Fred about it, probably not but we will see :)
Great write up. Cannot believe that was just 6000 words I've read. Sound like you've had an amazing journey over last 6 months.

Great driving on the vids. The spa video was fantastic until the pop. Good luck with the new engine.
Haha thank you very much! Yes its been a bit crazy but fun none the less :)

Thanks very kind!

220 Trophy
James, changing the subject a bit, Chip mentioned you were running DZ03G's and that you found them better than 888's. Now that you don't need road-legal tyres are these your track tyres of choice? Thanks, Mark

I do have a 182 engine for sale James.
Yes Nick I have seen it but seems a shame to rip apart an engine that has just been all sorted out :(! Whats the mileage and service history on it as I didn't see that on the listing? :)
James, changing the subject a bit, Chip mentioned you were running DZ03G's and that you found them better than 888's. Now that you don't need road-legal tyres are these your track tyres of choice? Thanks, Mark
Hi Mark, Yes I wanted to try 205's so got a set of the Dunlops they are no where near as good as the 888's in the damp/wet but in the dry they are better in my opinion and gave a decent improvement in lap time :) Problem is they are nearly double what I pay for the 888's!

I have 3 sets of wheels so currently have 1 set of the dunlops for the dry, 888's for damp and then Michelin road tyres for the pissing down wet

Clio 172
James what dates are you at Donington? And what are you going in lol. If I can get one as well I'll come along, just getting new front pads and suspension at present as mine is shot.

James what dates are you at Donington? And what are you going in lol. If I can get one as well I'll come along, just getting new front pads and suspension at present as mine is shot.
Not sure to be fair Andy I said I will go along and see Cup Phil at his trackday think it was either this month or November and then early December to go see Northloop :) I'm not driving just going down to watch! Haha I know what you need Andy a nice set of KW's ;) It reminds me I really need to sell them lol
1st reserve for the cams ;)
Haha!
Cams from an Engine full of swarf . . . have all the DIBS you want .
I was surprised Arron bottom end is FULL of swarf but not the slightest bit has got to the head! Cams are out and not a mark on them thankfully :)
enlighten the world oh wise one. No....wait.....shush and let the condition be decided by actually looking.
Haha you are right mate, the cams are mint from my eyes! I took some high res pics earlier so will load up later :)
I now have neck ache but impressed for your first time there, looked like you had fun with those Astons as well ;)
Haha sorry pal! The best way is turn the screen round lol! Thanks yeah it was a laugh apart from they wouldn't let me past haha

The cams arent standard, no way, pulls too well at the top end.

But yes as mentioned to james before we even got recovered, im not going to be surpised by standard bolts!
but also not the 421's that iirc were meant to of been fitted.. maybe just chucked a set of 428's/Gt cams in and thats why the power was down as much on pauls rollers

BMW Z4
Yes Nick I have seen it but seems a shame to rip apart an engine that has just been all sorted out :(! Whats the mileage and service history on it as I didn't see that on the listing? :)

Hi Mark, Yes I wanted to try 205's so got a set of the Dunlops they are no where near as good as the 888's in the damp/wet but in the dry they are better in my opinion and gave a decent improvement in lap time :) Problem is they are nearly double what I pay for the 888's!

I have 3 sets of wheels so currently have 1 set of the dunlops for the dry, 888's for damp and then Michelin road tyres for the pissing down wet

Go for the R1R's for wet work Ash ;) WAY better than 888's

In the dry Direzzas FTW :hail:

PS
I have a leaky 182 engine and no you can't have it, it's my challenge and I will fix the b*****d...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

PS
I have a leaky 182 engine and no you can't have it, it's my challenge and I will fix the b*****d...

if it's out, you're really not far from me. I've been known to build a decent F4R you know ;)

but also not the 421's that iirc were meant to of been fitted.. maybe just chucked a set of 428's/Gt cams in and thats why the power was down as much on pauls rollers
No mate it has got 421's in it but the timing has obviously been well out the cams didn't line up at all! How do so many people know about the power it made on the rollers lol? I can't of told more than 3 people all of whom I trust not to tell anyone lol!
Yeah I did!

Well would you if you had just spent 100k+ ;)
Haha sorry I will sort it for next year ;)

I suppose lol!

PS
Yeah if its bucketing it down I will just use the michelins. The advantage for me of running a set of 888's on wheels is I can use them for testing and they cost half what the dunlops do, the car reacts the same but can carry much more apex speed on the dunlops. Yes though direzzas FTW :cool:

Haha thanks mate lol! Sorry for the delay with that photo but I took one with my camera earlier so will email it over in a bit :)
Are they 421s James? should have a long number engraved on them 5502421
Yes mate 421's I have checked both the inlet and exhaust and they are both correct! Just weren't timed up! 99% just going to keep the cams and run with the new engine instead of swapping to other cams

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
they're perfect cams IMO. Just remove your cat for mapping. I'm fairly sure that was a big part of your problem with low power (false AFR reading after the cat)

Yes unfortunately :( I'm sure it was all to do with the timing! I need to speak with Cat again but they just laughed when I last spoke to them. It sounds like they are tricky to dial in with the verniers instead of VVT

Yeah cool mate I will try and find them as I have them on email somewhere :), I can't get it off the car as i've ripped a lot of the loom out

Cup In bits
Were your bearings blue/scored etc on the other three journals that were left?

Do you need a cat for tintops and is there a set Db level for all circuits they visit or does it differ from place to place, sorry to keep asking questions but im too lazy to check regs for different championships as im trying to build a car that can go racing all over the uk with minor changes.

What are journals lol? The bits on the crank? If so i'm not sure yet as I dont have the tool to undo the arp's

Yes cat is a requirement of the bluebook and 105 static is the noise limit :) No worries mate! I took that picture of the aux belt routing as mentioned do you want me to put it up or did you work out which way it needs to go?

Cup In bits
What are journals lol? The bits on the crank? If so i'm not sure yet as I dont have the tool to undo the arp's

Yes cat is a requirement of the bluebook and 105 static is the noise limit :) No worries mate! I took that picture of the aux belt routing as mentioned do you want me to put it up or did you work out which way it needs to go?

Yeah that's your journals mate.

Perfect I was going to ask for that, should be needing it soon. Pm it or whatever, mail me if its easier!

Im pretty sure I don't need a cat to run in the Scottish saloon's, I will have to follow up on that.

This is the way I routed it mate :)

file-45.jpg

Unless it says you don't in the reg's then you will do as it's in the bluebook :(

Engine:

Got the engine out as planned last night and took all that I can apart with the tools I have. The breather plate seems to have been leaking as it was missing 3 bolts from where the Coilpack was mounted so I will relocate this for next year. The *end cap* (I think thats what its called) Looks to have been leaking oil into the bellhousing recently. The block has got 3 holes in 2 small and one hefty one! I think the failure is the Oil has overheated to point it hasn't been working and then bearing has gone on the rod that failed, spat out of the block and job done. I checked the oil at Teeside while testing and the oil was so thin I could hardly see it! After the engine blew it was so thin I thought there was nothing in it but yesterday when draining it was still over half on the dipstick and now jet black so think it had just got silly hot. Unfortunately the oil temperature gauge has never worked and it never had a pressure warning light or sensor fitted so I wouldn't have known until it went bang like it did! Anyway life moves on and I will learn from this and the new engine will have full temp and pressure logging :)

I will let the pics do the talking but the only thing that seems salvageable is the cams! Wouldn't even want to reuse the sump due to the amount of swarf and the fact it had bits of engine in it!

file-47.jpg

file-1.jpg
file-48.jpg
file-46.jpg
file-37.jpg
file-39.jpg
file-41.jpg
file-36.jpg
file-33.jpg
file-26.jpg
file-28.jpg
file-22.jpg
file-21.jpg
file-18.jpg
file-14.jpg

file-13.jpg
file-12.jpg
file-9.jpg
file-8.jpg
file-5.jpg
file-4.jpg

Cup In bits
Cheers, looks like the rod cap failed, seems to be in two pieces with one part good nick and the other shagged and bent backwards.

Cup In bits
The rod still looks pretty good/still in place and attached to the piston from your picture. Is there a threaded part of the rod bolt still left in the rod, that would say that the arp has broke then.

Rod is pretty bent to be fair but yes still attached to the piston :) Nope no sign of the bolts anywhere :S its asthough they have come loose as there is marking that something has been repeatedly hitting the bottom of the engine

Golf GTD Mk7
Head , cams and sump look ok from what I can see James. They look like catcams. Have a look on the shaft and there will be a number which is dotted on. This will tell you if you have the correct ones. It's a 6 digit number starting with 5 and ending on 421.
Did the valves not bend (Piccy from underneath of the head ;))? I'd keep the bits for spares as you never know what you might need

BMW Z4
if it's out, you're really not far from me. I've been known to build a decent F4R you know ;)

It's in at the moment Dan, sump arrives this morning and if that fails and it still leaks from that bolt hole I will just sit in the car and set the garage of fire :banghead:

Got you in mind..