ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hello all, I've been lurking on the forum for some years now and i've wanted a 182 since I was 16. So here I am almost 9 years later with this well known car from the forum.

It's a Renault Clio 182 Cup in the marmite colour of Petrol Blue. It was the first registered Petrol Blue in the country so 1/29 ever built and 1/27 left remaining (as far as I know).

Specification list is substantial for what it is;
PMS Top Mounts and Brace
ITG Maxogen Carbon induction kit
Yozzasport cat back exhaust
Full leather Recaro trendlines on Trophy mounts
Eibach Sportline Lowering springs on Cup dampers
Sabelt RenaultSport steering wheel with horn and cruise button
Trophy Speedline Turinis with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres all round
OEM Cup splitter
Cup spoiler
Spray Shack RenaultSport Bullets with PB lettering
Powerflex Yellow engine mounts
Powerflex Purple dog bone mount
Black insert Xenon headlights
Kenwood stereo with auxiliary connection

Here is a picture of it in its usual glory.
IMG_7343.JPG

After a thoroughly enjoyable drive back from Essex with my brother in his Abarth 595, this is what it looked like parked up.

IMG_7276.JPG

The car has quite clearly been looked after through all of its previous owners and the service history and receipts prove this.

I left the 182 in my garage for a few days and drove my M3 until that went into the garage to be reverted back to standard to sell. Came back to the car and had to do gymnastics to get into the passengers door up against the wall of the garage because of a flat battery. (Why do the French only put a lock on the PAS side?!) That was fun!

Quick trip to ECP to pick up another battery..
IMG_7336.JPG

(Excuse the bodge with the + as I had to stop it grounding on the ECU) but as you can tell - it's too big for the gap and doesn't fit between the ITG and ECU.

Along with this I electrically tested the charge and I found the source of the problem. A two year old Genuine Alternator..
IMG_7338.JPG

So this is how the car sits at the moment with a few modifications ready to go onto the car along with a top of the range Varta battery and Valeo Alternator from Wolverhampton that is to arrive on Tuesday.
IMG_7342.JPG

Some promising updates on the horizon along with a good clean - hopefully!

Last edited:
Looks a cracking car this, very nice spec and with the seats etc etc! :up::up:

Nice to see another local one in the area now too, those cobbled streets in the photo there are very familiar :smile:

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Looks a cracking car this, very nice spec and with the seats etc etc! :up::up:

Nice to see another local one in the area now too, those cobbled streets in the photo there are very familiar :smile:

A few choice modifications left to go but I like the car as it is.

Those cobbled streets are lethal to walk on in the rain You'll have to let me know about any local meets.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
A few choice modifications left to go but I like the car as it is.

Those cobbled streets are lethal to walk on in the rain You'll have to let me know about any local meets.
Drove my Clio on cobbled street once... never again.

Looks awesome anyway mate. Not everyone's cup of tea but I've always loved PBs!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So I set about fitting some new parts;

Genuine Valeo Renault alternator from Wolverhampton Renault..
IMG_7365.JPG

I also got the best battery I could find/buy for the 182. Varta S6 silver with the highest CCA for a battery that size.

Purchased from;
https://www.tayna.co.uk/C6-Varta-Silver-Dynamic-Car-Battery-P3131.html

IMG_7366.JPG

So all fitted and it took no more than 40 minutes, quite an easy job when you Jubilee the aux belt tensioner...
IMG_7370.JPG

One of the first things I do to any car I own is I update the Headlights - I do a lot of night driving so it makes sense.

What I started with;
IMG_7372.JPG

The new bulbs to go in;
IMG_7375.JPG

IMG_7381.JPG

Leaving me with this appearance on the front.

50/50.

IMG_7380.JPG

The only problem I had is that when I did the drivers side this is what I noticed from the sidelights..

7F5F1740-5E4C-4242-B87C-A5FCBE23D700.jpg

They sent me a green sidelight! I thought it looked quite cool up against the Petrol Blue (green) but I'd rather have something that looks legal.

Still needs a good clean!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Never even seen this colour before. Looks awesome mate :up:
I should be doing a good clean on it and hopefully some sunlight comes out so I can show it off properly. I was dead set on getting a liquid yellow, I've fallen for Petrol Blue I really have!

I've only ever spotted a PB on the road once!

Looks great :smile:

As for why there's only a lock on the passenger side... think about which side the driver's seat is on in France... :wink:

I knew the reason why - I just really would have appreciated one on the drivers door ;)

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just wanted to share that the car is performing quite well and settling into daily duties nicely.

I'm having intermittent ESP problems and the airbag light is still on (I need to take the wheel off to put resistors in and to clean the suede properly.)

In other news, very grateful for practically new Michelin PS3's last night driving home. Barely any roads in Norfolk were gritted so I had an interesting 90 miles to drive and a challenging 4 wheel slide on the A47 involuntarily.

IMG_7470.JPG

I have a few days booked off work so plenty of updates to come shortly..

I know what you mean there, the sudden and heavy snow fall we had here Tuesday caused chaos in the local area but I noticed the gritter hadn't been out!! Was strange, went up to Norwich same day as we had the snow and nothing was laying there, total opposite!

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you mean there, the sudden and heavy snow fall we had here Tuesday caused chaos in the local area but I noticed the gritter hadn't been out!! Was strange, went up to Norwich same day as we had the snow and nothing was laying there, total opposite!

It was interesting to say the least. They've been doing work on sections of the A47 and chose not to grit parts of it the day before they did the work.. slid off the off ramp!

So I set about doing some work on the car yesterday. I fixed the Cruise control rocker switch by moving the V spring so it created a current between the system.

IMG_7476.JPG

It just clips off and you adjust it until it clicks firmly into place - a little fiddly but nothing too bad.

I took the Sabelt wheel off, gave it a good clean and a spray of material protectant in the hope it keeps it cleaner..
IMG_7477.JPG

That left me with the car looking like this..

IMG_7478.JPG

Resistors were already under the steering wheel in the airbag clips. 3.3ohm as suggested by guides on here.. non the less I went to maplin and purchased these.

You can see the codes and prices there if it's of any help to anyone else doing this..

IMG_7479.JPG

3.9ohm resistors and 4.7 just Incase. Changed them over to the 3.9 resistors and the airbag light is still on. I suspect it's the airbag sensors under the Recaros at fault..

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hiya, what did you clean the steering wheel with?
Light dilution of all purpose cleaner, small bristle brush to agitate softly then microfibre to pick up the dirt. Followed by a re-fluff with a suede rubber tool.

I used m3r3 I think they were called from maplins...
Ahh, I read anything from 3-6ohms resistance would cancel out the sensor?

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
So without intending to, I've spent the entire day on the clio and got well and truly carried away..

Old wipers and new Bosch Aero wipers for £16.99 off eBay.
IMG_7504.JPG

Fitted those, clayed the glass and coated all windows with Gtechniq G1...

Then I noticed that the clay had no pickup and I decided to clay the entire car, rinsed and dried and I was left with this.

IMG_7513.JPG

While it looks nice, I couldn't stand the sight of the marring marks and random scratches so I got the polisher out!

IMG_7506.JPG

IMG_7507.JPG

IMG_7508.JPG

IMG_7509.JPG

I've just finished wiping off the wax with a headtorch, safe to say I ran out of time.

IMG_7512.JPG

Hopefully I'll get to manage some better pictures tomorrow if the weather allows!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Must have missed this thread. That looks lovely. Wheels and Cup details really do finish it off a treat. Nice to see another round here.

Can polish my Megane if you like 😂