ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio 172 cup - engine just died 23500 miles !!

Titanium ph1 turbo
Right,

where do i start ...

basically at about 12000 miles i had my power steering pump replaced, i was told it was faulty when i went for my first service...

not long after, the auxillery belt started to frey around the edge, so i booked it back in and got it replaced under warranty.. i always felt this was caused by the fact it wasnt aligned properly after the power steering pump was replaced...

anyway, upto 23000 miles and i noticed the belt was freying slightly again and i the powersteering pump was making strange noises at warmup.. so this week i rang up and booked it in for 24000 mile service and also to have the powersteering pump checked and belt checked.

Driving down the A19 today doing about 70 when I heard this loud screech and a sound like as if i'd driven over something on the road... a few seconds later my engine completely dies, no power, and all the lights on my dash come on... i pulled over onto the grass verge, opened bonnet and only half of my auxillary belt is there, strange I thought as you would expect the engine to at least turn over etc with half the belt there...

Rang the AA and got it towed to my renault dealers... he tried my engine and told me it sounds like the timing belt has gone as all you hear is the sound of the starter turning, no ignition, nothing....

i think that either 1 of 2 things have happened, either the auxillary belt isnt turning anything, or the timing belt has gone, but i thought these engines had timing chains not belts?

so glad the car is still under warranty, 03 plate with 3yr until may 2006... anyone else had a similar problem or know what damage may have been caused?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
They have timing belts, it sounds to me as thought thats whats gone! Lucky its under warrenty!

Titanium ph1 turbo
is it a new engine do you think? if the timing belts gone im assuming the damage will be so bad they will just replace the block?

Evo VI Tommi Makinen
Oooh thats a bit of a sh*tter

They definately have belts not chains.
Sounds quite terminal though however the warranty will sort it out. Let us all know what happens.

Good luck m8

Rob

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
common(ish) problem
-aux belt fails dramatically, gets stuck behind crank pulley, and 'cos the timing belt lower cover does not go between the crank pulley and sprocket the aux belt fouls the timing belt and pulls it off
result-timing belt fails and all due to the aux belt. bad design if you ask me!

Titanium ph1 turbo
I guess the only consolation out of all this is that it was me in the car at the time, and not my girlfriend who would have taken out our 2 week old son if it wasn't for the fact I had to go out in it at the last minute today... we only share 1 car now and if she'd rang me to say she'd broken down on the hard shoulder or anything with the baby in the car i would have freaked out...

VaVa
What a pisser. Even more worrying is that it appears to be a regular thing!

Hopefully it will all get sorted and they'll drop you a recon engine that'll put out 180bhp...lol

*mental note to self - check condition of auxillary belt!*

MKIII 138
chris79 said:
Right,

where do i start ...

basically at about 12000 miles i had my power steering pump replaced, i was told it was faulty when i went for my first service...

not long after, the auxillery belt started to frey around the edge, so i booked it back in and got it replaced under warranty.. i always felt this was caused by the fact it wasnt aligned properly after the power steering pump was replaced...

anyway, upto 23000 miles and i noticed the belt was freying slightly again and i the powersteering pump was making strange noises at warmup.. so this week i rang up and booked it in for 24000 mile service and also to have the powersteering pump checked and belt checked.

Driving down the A19 today doing about 70 when I heard this loud screech and a sound like as if i'd driven over something on the road... a few seconds later my engine completely dies, no power, and all the lights on my dash come on... i pulled over onto the grass verge, opened bonnet and only half of my auxillary belt is there, strange I thought as you would expect the engine to at least turn over etc with half the belt there...

Rang the AA and got it towed to my renault dealers... he tried my engine and told me it sounds like the timing belt has gone as all you hear is the sound of the starter turning, no ignition, nothing....

i think that either 1 of 2 things have happened, either the auxillary belt isnt turning anything, or the timing belt has gone, but i thought these engines had timing chains not belts?

so glad the car is still under warranty, 03 plate with 3yr until may 2006... anyone else had a similar problem or know what damage may have been caused?

chris you near york ????

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the aux belt system on these cars is not the best, bad tensioner design...

we have loads of problems with this system, although I have not seen the belt fail yet but have seen a fair few fray'd belts (sp!)

always good to keep an eye on it.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Brand New Genuine Renault CLIO 172 Engine £1250 + Vat - 40 aVAILABLE !!!!!!!! - F4R CODE

Attachments

• new 2.0 004.jpg
    new 2.0 004.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 148

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
mine went on my 2001 x reg at 16000 miles when it was 2 years old. had brand new engine under warranty, and got the warranty extended for another three years!
Good job as well, as with labour, parts and courtesy car, renault were billed 3800 quid.

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
I've got a post already but was just reading over these threads. I have a squeak when starting up my car, sounds worse from cold. It kind of goes away but then comes back with a little squeak, sounds like a belt going round and squeaks 3 times in the same place. One reply said that it may be the aux belt? How can I check this? and for anyone who has had an aux belt go did you have a squeak before hand.
Car is not under warranty so you've all worried me now! lol

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
Last September my wifes Clio 1.5 Dci did exactly the same thing, aux belt failed wrapped itself round the the bottom pulley and took out the timing belt. it wrecked the top end of the engine and where the pistons hit the valves so hard it cracked three camshaft carriers aswell!! Got sweet FA on warranty as it was 3 months after it ran out. Anyway £2300 later it was running again!!!

R

rich[182]

I've got 36k service in next 2 months, having read this Im gonna insist it gets replaced, cars out of warranty this november too