ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cheers for the ride tonight chip, it was ace, such smooth power delivery and very very rapid! Just makes mine feel slow now though!

Yeah it does make jumping back in either of our normal 172s feel a bit tame too. Cant help but giggle every time I drive it.

Glad you enjoyed it mate :D

big boost cup
Ok I'm getting more tempted. Il keep eye out for the final conversion details and yes a passenger ride would be great if were both at a local meet

If you want to go out in a boosted clio mine shall be back on the road soon and im in southampton.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hopefully going to take it out at Coombe on the 7th of July, lets hope I am still smiling after that, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'll try and remember to take a camera when Im out at combe on the 7th if I take it.

Although it will probably look slow that day TBH, as its a cosworth day mainly as its the RSOC and most people who havent got a cossie seem to have moved onto evo's which is even worse, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats good news mate, what was up with it?

Bet you are itching to get it back as they are such a laugh to drive when filled with boost!

big boost cup
Thats good news mate, what was up with it?

Bet you are itching to get it back as they are such a laugh to drive when filled with boost!

I had the vw box fitted not driven it for about 7 weeks now. Aux belt went and took the cam belt with it new valves etc. got it back and the clutch was slipping got the hump nearly broke it then decided on the new gearbox and nitrous lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Oh fantastic stuff, Im really interested in box conversions so will have to have a look out for that at a meet or a show.

Who did the conversion for you?

What nitrous kit are you going to be using? If its a wizards of nos kit then feel free to fire any questions you have at me, or dont forget our forum: http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/

big boost cup
Oh fantastic stuff, Im really interested in box conversions so will have to have a look out for that at a meet or a show.

Who did the conversion for you?

What nitrous kit are you going to be using? If its a wizards of nos kit then feel free to fire any questions you have at me, or dont forget our forum: http://forum.nitrous-advice.org/

Chris at efi (Scoff) is doing the conversion. And chip i have bought the WON kit and progressive controller I have spoke to you about a few bits via PM but you seem to have forgotton.
How do i tap into the plastic fuel line safely or is it replaced. I will be going to most of the meets that are local and will be doing some of the shows

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chris at efi (Scoff) is doing the conversion.
Ah, I though form what he said that he wasnt going to be doing them anymore, glad to hear he is again now.

And chip i have bought the WON kit and progressive controller
Excellent choice mate, you wont be dissapointed with that (well other than the refill costs of course, lol)

I have spoke to you about a few bits via PM but you seem to have forgotton.
Sorry mate, I get so many people PM me for advice on stuff I tend to just answer it and then forget who they all are as its a bit much to keep track of otherwise, lol

How do i tap into the plastic fuel line safely or is it replaced. I will be going to most of the meets that are local and will be doing some of the shows
I dont know of a decent way to tap into the clios plastic line TBH, the ends are solid enough though where the fitting is that you can get away with clamping a rubber fuel hose over it to join to it then t-piece the rubber instead, but IMHO its not ideal and I think you would be better off replacing with proper rubber or braided lines instead really.

big boost cup
Well chris was not going to do it but i asked nicely lol.(and coughed up some cash).
The nitrous situation might just end up being semi installed and sent to WON to be finished off as the controller has millions of wires and I really dont have a clue with them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its really not all that difficult, just sit there and label each wire first with a bit of paper sellotaped to the end is one way to keep track, but obviously you would be in great hands with sending it to Trev and co anyway.
Easy thing to destroy an engine with if you dont know what you are doing!

Have you ever been in a turbo car with nitrous? Its EPIC! Match made in heaven!

big boost cup
Thats what im worried about going to mad with the gas and melting things etc. I have not been in a car with both but things will soon change

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My cossie with a T34 turbo (bit of a big old beast really, pre-rollerbearing and 400bhp ish sort of size) was just SO punchy on the gas, totally transformed it, was spooling quicker than a T28 cossie engine does when I hit it will a reasonable sized shot of gas (125bhp)

Was just nuts on the gas and on over 2 bar of boost, REALLY fast car, and was quite average really without it.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Any more update on the reliability test mule and if a package would be offered?

Have fun at combe def my favorite track. Go terrorise some cossies and evos;-)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well I think by now it's safe to say its reliable enough as a conversion.

Was a very tired engine to begin with really and yet is still going strong :)

Will let you know how I get on st Combe.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Took it to the Ford RSOC day at castle combe today, engine was spot on, pulling really well, but the handling still terrible despite changing:
Track rods
Track rod ends
Bottom ball joints
Powerflex bottom arm bushes
And having the geo set appropriately.

Was thinking it must be either the steering rack or the strut top mounts.

Then after the trackday I went to collect a gearbox from Russ16v off here and I said he could take the car out for a drive, he was pretty impressed by the engine, but very unimpressed with the handling, lol
Luckily though, him and his mate Dan who was there helping him change an engine (and who happens to be an ex renault mechanic who worked on 172s a lot when he was at the main dealer) had a suggestion, that it would be the bushes that mount the steering rack to the car.
They leant me a ramp and we had a good look and sure enough thats exactly what it is, the whole steering rack is moving left and right a couple of mm so thats why the steering is so damn vague and totally un-172 like.

So I'll order up a set of new steering rack bushes to fit and hopefully that will sort the handling now as everything else is done anyway :)

Porkie got quite a good video of him following me around for a lap or so on track, including a couple of "moments" where you can see just how badly mine was handling, I will upload it at some point this evening or tomorrow when I get a chance.

So all in all a bit of a crap trackday in that I only did a couple of sessions before deciding it wasnt worth risking anymore due to the handling issues, but on the whole a good day as the engine was faultless yet again and at least now it looks like we know exactly is up with the handling :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Video of the play in the rack which explains the fact it now handles badly:
th_IMG_0269.jpg

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, supposed to be no movement at all.
Its literally shifting side to side, allowing the car to steer itself, and when it comes on boost it does it even more so.

Explains why it seems to torque steer so bad now and yet when I was mapping it after MWM first built it, it was nothing like that. All that torque yanking away it at for the last 7K miles or so has obviously taken its toll!

340i
Those worn steering rack bushes are becoming more common now, guess its an age thing.. I've seen it on a few 172's now.

A bit of a pain to access / remove but there are worse jobs :)

Impreza RB5 #054
Can i ask what brand TRE, ball joints and track track rods you used? Going to be doing a suspension refresh my self soon.

172cup turbo & rx8
chip, are you replacing the rack bushes with oem ones or upgraded (if there is such a thing) to cope with the torque?

172cup turbo & rx8
good stuff, i'm refreshing the suspension on mine over the next few months and might aswell do these at the same time, whats your view on polly wishbones? i'v read mixed reviews and was thinking of just going for new renault bottom arms as its mainly a road car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For a road car, new standard would be my choice mate, I put polyflex ones on this to cope with the extra torque, but they wont last as long as standard ones for high miles.

53 Clio's & counting
Was good to see you again mate, and thank you for letting me have a drive of your car.

My opinion on it is I think it's a fantastic conversion, to get the bad bit out of the way first, due to the steering rack bush issue it was hard to use the power fully, as it was desperately trying to torque steer me off the road every time it came on boost, but going on the actual engine conversion, it really suprised me.

On idle, it doesn't sound F/I at all, the only hint is the slightly higher idle, but im sure chip will look at that at some point. There is a little turbo lag as expected, but it really is very miminal, and once on boost it gives the pull like it was a large n/a engine - no surge or drop off in power, just nice progressive pull right up high in the rev range - I only went to circa 6500rpm, and Chip assures me it pulls just as hard 1000 rpm more, but I love the fact it is just like a large n/a engine, in that you don't need to chase revs, you can short shift and you still make great progress, but if you want to hang onto a gear then the power is there and doesn't drop off.

All in all a great package and it really is bloody quick! :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Slightly higher idle helps with pulling away without stalling on the paddle clutch (although you still stalled it, lmao) so no intention of dropping it back down from 1100 where it sits now really mate.

Shame about the rack movement meaning you couldn't really give it death but I'm glad you enjoyed it anyway :)

Cant fault the way Mwm built it, everyone who has driven or passengered in it so far has been well impressed :) you'll have to have a proper go when the steering rack is actually attached. Lol.

53 Clio's & counting
Yeah, I didn't quite expect it to be an on/off switch lol, though at least I could start it right, id take it back to whoever mapped it :rasp: x

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont think anyone who has jumped in it yet has not stalled it the first time to be fair, it is pretty grabby on that clutch till you get used to it.

Fine with a bit of practice though, I dont even really notice it even sat in traffic now Ive got the hang of it, and to be fair its a lot easier than the twin plate unsprung paddle in my nova.

53 Clio's & counting
Joking aside, I can imagine once used to it it's pretty good - I wonder how long a standard clutch would last?