ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172 phase 1 turbo

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, well I wasn't stalling it when we went out in it mate so that should prove something even if you did stall it yourself. Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im convinced the phase2 will take the power better, equal length shafts etc, not to mention yours is just in such good nick to start with.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fitted new steering bushes today and the handling problems are gone now :)

Also fitted some pure motorsports top mounts as well, but cant fit the strut brace as the 197 inlet sits the throttle where the brave goes. Will see if I can fabricate something to sort when I have more free time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Glad to hear it's sorted it dude :)

Difference now from when you drove it is unreal. Not like the same car. It's back like how it was when Mwm first did it again now. :)

Thanks for your pointer with diagnosing the fault, might still be looking for it otherwise. Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Seeing as it was handling the power so much better now I decided to just sneak the boost up a few psi in the midrange, going a bit better now, will have to lob it at a set of rollers at some point and see how it compares to what it was like originally, engine and turbo both are obviously a lot more tired now after 7K+ hard miles sense the first rolling road but I wouldnt be surprised if despite that its making a little more torque now than it was originally.
Its just on the limit of traction in 2nd gear now on the RSRs on normal road tarmac, sort of slightly scrabbles for grip but only a touch.

Properly loving driving it right now, looking forward to the next trackday in it now, which will be either Bedford on August the 31st or Combe on Sept 8th depending on what happens with the other cars as I know the mrs wants to get hers back out as soon as we've finished the engine work and I am still desperate to get the mk1 finished.

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
All rounding good mate. Glad the steering was a relatively easy fix.

I'm thru to the final interviews for a new job so if all goes well I could be parking the Clio up at end of the summer. Clear few debts and maybe late this year or early next il be boosting the flower!

53 Clio's & counting
Difference now from when you drove it is unreal. Not like the same car. It's back like how it was when Mwm first did it again now. :)

Thanks for your pointer with diagnosing the fault, might still be looking for it otherwise. Lol

Lol no problem mate, you give me enough advise im happy to return some :)

Seeing as it was handling the power so much better now I decided to just sneak the boost up a few psi in the midrange, going a bit better now, will have to lob it at a set of rollers at some point and see how it compares to what it was like originally, engine and turbo both are obviously a lot more tired now after 7K+ hard miles sense the first rolling road but I wouldnt be surprised if despite that its making a little more torque now than it was originally.
Its just on the limit of traction in 2nd gear now on the RSRs on normal road tarmac, sort of slightly scrabbles for grip but only a touch.

Properly loving driving it right now, looking forward to the next trackday in it now, which will be either Bedford on August the 31st or Combe on Sept 8th depending on what happens with the other cars as I know the mrs wants to get hers back out as soon as we've finished the engine work and I am still desperate to get the mk1 finished.

A couple more psi?! Does it really need more power?! lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol no problem mate, you give me enough advise im happy to return some :)

Thats what its all about mate, knowledge sharing :)

A couple more psi?! Does it really need more power?! lol

It started to feel a bit tame once I had a bit more grip, lol

Here is a video of it now:

Looks like it took about 11 or 12 seconds or so for 0-100mph in this video, it starts moving about 2 seconds in and hits 100 at roughly 13 seconds.

TBH the car could definately do better but it was the first time Ive ever tried launching it and it was on a slight uphill away from the lights, so I reckon there is probably a 10 in it with a bit more practice and on a better bit of (private non public highway like this was) road.

th_clio-turbo-0-100.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it pulls stronly with very little drop of in power between shifts .
What spec is Lee's car now as it looked quick in the last video you posted aswell.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Looks like it pulls stronly with very little drop of in power between shifts .
What spec is Lee's car now as it looked quick in the last video you posted aswell.

Lee's is a 212bhp ITB engine that me and Mike from MWM built and mapped for him mate, fast car and far more useable than mine due to the LSD etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quick copy and paste from the wishbone thread about the latest handling changes I have made.

It gives 35mm more caster done like I have done it, compared to a ph1 wishbone.

However, you could actually add another 15mm to that if you accepted slightly losing some track, by elongating the inner hole backwards instead of outwards but I didnt want the extra caster enough to compromise a few mm of track width to get it.

This is how I did it:

Drilled a new outer hole, and elongated the existing inner one slightly, and trial fitted the balljoint both there and in the original place so I could take some measurements.

AF1E413E-60AD-4F35-9A08-2430B1BC21F6-5791-000004C6C9ED24CA.jpg

Then I plug welded the original outer hole (TBH you really dont need to im sure, there was quite a bit of meat between the holes but I can so I did)

FCE3348B-BF6A-4380-9AFB-BFC901BFE9BC-5791-000004C7210A1ADA.jpg

Then I used a power file to make sure there were no highpoints that the balljoint might touch and not sit flat

5F353E26-F9F0-46C6-8A0C-0C7E80ADDC0F-5791-000004C72815ABA0.jpg

Then I gave it a quick paint just to stop it rusting

E24F58F5-97DA-49EE-8750-6058836738ED-5791-000004C72F711191.jpg

Then while I was stood around feeling quite pleased with myself with how it had turned out (Im no fabricator TBH, just do bits and pieces) Mike from MWM who is staying with us this weekend proceeded to do just as neat a job (better if anything) of the other one in half the time, damn him and his expert welding skills, lol

How the end result looks:

D863AA4F-74D5-470F-8A58-B1F5B8E2D2C0-7916-000005A0DE13D5EB.jpg

Handling feels a lot more sure footed now, its very stable under braking, and obviously I can now run less static camber which is good for straight line grip.

Very pleased with the results although ive got lots of rubbing to sort out.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
cracking litte project this! car looked a mess at combe from that vid, glad you tracked the issue down! that bush is a common one on the mk1's and can be a bugger to trace, most people blame the universal joint on the column but this can be the real issue.

I got round it ever happening again with a manual conversion, that solid bolts to the subframe, no clamps and bush arrangement. however I sort of regret it a bit as the manual poverty mk 1 spec racks are a bit lifeless, too many turns lock to lock. need to source a cup rack

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
cracking litte project this! car looked a mess at combe from that vid

Yeah it was horrific with the failed steering rack bushes, I only did a couple of sessions before I decided it wasnt safe to continue.

Thankfully all those issues are gone now though :)

glad you tracked the issue down! that bush is a common one on the mk1's and can be a bugger to trace, most people blame the universal joint on the column but this can be the real issue.

I got round it ever happening again with a manual conversion, that solid bolts to the subframe, no clamps and bush arrangement. however I sort of regret it a bit as the manual poverty mk 1 spec racks are a bit lifeless, too many turns lock to lock. need to source a cup rack

I wouldnt want to lose the power steering TBH, if you watch the video of me at come where it flicked quickly sideways at 100mph+ I dont think I could have managed to catch that on a manual rack, you wouldnt believe how quickly I had to get the opposite lock on to catch it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i find the manual very manageable at speed, however mine hasnt got any worn bush issues so if it does step out its very smooth and easy to catch

its just the lack of sensitivity to input that does my head in a bit, need to turn the wheel a bit to feel any lock as it where. turn less lock to lock and it'd be fine!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
i find the manual very manageable at speed, however mine hasnt got any worn bush issues so if it does step out its very smooth and easy to catch

its just the lack of sensitivity to input that does my head in a bit, need to turn the wheel a bit to feel any lock as it where. turn less lock to lock and it'd be fine!

Its the lack of gearing I hate more than the weight.
Track cars need responsive steering and ideally light enough so if you need to add a whole load of lock fast you can without it being too much like hard work.

330i. E30 Touring.
I know on the 106 Rallye Register they've had Quaife design and build a quick rack and pinion that's meant to be perfect. Maybe worth a read?

Manual rack with the benefit of catching any mishaps easier!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I know on the 106 Rallye Register they've had Quaife design and build a quick rack and pinion that's meant to be perfect. Maybe worth a read?

Manual rack with the benefit of catching any mishaps easier!

I wouldnt want it mate, I much prefer power steering.

Andy Gallacher lost 2 seconds a lap at TOTB when he lost the power steering on his focus for example.

I have NO idea why some people seem to think losing such a massively useful driver aid is a benefit on a track car. It saves a couple of KG and thats about the only benefit I can think of and there are plenty of downsides.

Ive just put a power rack back into my mk1 as it had a manual conversion when I got it, Ive certainly no intention of EVER doing it the other way around, lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My mk1 feels no different from 5mph+ with/without power steering.

And there's very little difference when parking. Mk1's power steering were s**t anyway, they always felt heavy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you run much caster the steering gets A LOT heavier.

Its one of the reasons that things like a mk 1 clio where base models don't have pas have so little caster in the standard geometry which then handicaps the performance models.
I fitted r19 16v wishbones to mine to increase the caster.

With a lot of caster you are literally lifting the front of the car a couple mm in the air when you turn the wheel.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Minor update his time.

I was looking out for some trophy seats for my mrs RS2 ph2, and found what at first glance I thought was some for sale on here.
Then it was pointed out to me (cheers luke) they werent trophy ones after all as in the pics you could just about make out it wasnt leather bolsters and they didnt have the tip forward lever on them to let people in the back.

So obviously they were no good for that car, but I decided that being non leather (and hence less slippy) was a bonus in terms of for a trackday car instead, so I decided to get them for the turbo.

Was a bit of a trek to go fetch as I had to go and drive right through dartmoor national park where things are a bit "rural" but well worth it.

AC492BE9-3ECD-4DD5-8E12-4EF1EDC2BF99-8283-00000457A1FF1EDB.jpg

They really do have just so much more presence to look at compared to the original seats:
52A8D003-368F-468E-B0B4-67E11192D905-8283-000004579B9BE07B.jpg

F5ED0A58-FE62-4277-B61C-55FF99973E51-8283-00000457A8F9D0EB.jpg

Got one more modification to do later on today but its a really really pointless one, Ive got a new number plate for it, TBH only reason its going on the car is it saves keep paying retention fees on it till I sell it though, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice chairs!

Assuming you never take rear passengers then? lol.

TBH Im not even sure the rear seats are staying longer term anyway, doesnt seem a lot of point having them when it only really gets used on trackdays or for spirited driving down the lanes near me, neither of which I want anyone in the back for.
Bottom line is that weve got 10 other cars, 7 of which have rear seats, so its not really an issue TBH mate, although if you slide them forward on the runners and tip them you can get someone in the back fairly easily if you need to still.