ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 197 Cup does 24hr Silverstone

Great performance from the 'unreliable' French hatch, I didn't stay till the end, apparently it didn't make it to the finish but completed enough laps to finish well up the table and just ahead of its rival (Elise 111S). A few stats...

- Finished 16th overall inc. 1st in Class (51 starters, 37 finishers), ahead of several Moslers, Vipers etc.
- Completed 533 Laps (1702 miles) in 23:36
- Did its fastest lap on lap 488
- Averaged 72mph

376900839_TTryr-L.jpg

376910001_ztPoS-L.jpg

376903935_3H4sP-L.jpg

376904962_i9o5u-L.jpg

376921958_32bPP-L.jpg

377190938_MCc9F-L.jpg

377186540_J4gng-L.jpg

376931961_yjqsF-L.jpg

Very cool seeing something familiar on the circuit during the night, one of the few cars running with what appeared to be standard lights as well.

Lots more here: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/6023215_Chwpk

i put that tow sticker on, just realised its upsidedown, bugger!

we did 'finish' just one or two laps off the pace.

the car ran for 24 hours solid and NOTHING mechanical failed, the steering arm broke with 18 minutes to go but we hung on for a class win! :D

the car ran for 24 hours solid and NOTHING mechanical failed, the steering arm broke with 18 minutes to go but we hung on for a class win! :D

Good to hear, the official timing says it ran for 23:36, so I assumed it retired shortly before the end but still completed enough laps to finish above the Elise.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Top photos Chris, including the smugmug set! Good to see the Clio proving it's worth as well!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
As said in the other pics thread...being part of that team was amazing!

Watching, fixing, refuelling and everything else we did to that car was perfect! The poor thing was battered at the end but what a performance!

Cheers to all at BPM Racing for a great weekend!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
It was really tuff without decent lights, even worse once we had a the crash with a Mk4 gold put the drivers side HID out as well

M135i
fantastic pics. i went down to the garage on saturday to have nose. the team did well, unfortunately i couldnt watch as i went to brands for the last of the BTCC rounds. what lens you use Chris, the ol' faithful? :) i needs me one of those.

It was really tuff without decent lights, even worse once we had a the crash with a Mk4 gold put the drivers side HID out as well

watching the footage back was funny tho, when he came across us and basically the clio just massacred him off the circuit!!

fantastic pics. i went down to the garage on saturday to have nose. the team did well, unfortunately i couldnt watch as i went to brands for the last of the BTCC rounds. what lens you use Chris, the ol' faithful? :) i needs me one of those.

Sigma 120-300 2.8 EX. I sold my Nikon 80-200 2.8 and Nikon 300mm f4 to fund it.

M135i

how much do kidneys go for these days?

i was shooting with a cheap sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO at the BTCC yesterday. did the job i suppose. i'd kill for yours.

how much do kidneys go for these days?

i was shooting with a cheap sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DG MACRO at the BTCC yesterday. did the job i suppose. i'd kill for yours.

I just nearly pmsl at that. I only managed to spend a few hours at the event because I have a severe kidney infection and was drugged up to the eyeballs on codeine and antibiotics, so your comment was very apt!

It was £899 second-hand, so my two old (second-hand) lens covered the cost quite nicely.

Good to hear, the official timing says it ran for 23:36, so I assumed it retired shortly before the end but still completed enough laps to finish above the Elise.

You're both right LOL

The EPAS unit failed just before the end of the race. Luckily at that point we had pulled a big lead out on the Elise and MG and as a result they still couldn't put sufficent laps in during the time remaining to overtake us. Afterall its how many laps can you do in 24 hours, once you're past 80% of race distance your result counts regardless.

I'm looking at it this way. The Elise and MG both had over 90 mins of unplanned downtime during the 24. We had 18 mins. Only difference was ours was at the end ;-)

Great result all round and we're very happy with it.

As far as I know thats the best result ever from a Clio in a 24 hour race. The previous best being a second in Class at the Dubai 24.

Cheers
M

They did well. Must of been hard viewing with just normal lights!

We had more than that.

Both head lights are HID with full beam (which the standard race car doesn't have) and there are two more HID projector beams behind the grill (hence why the grill is cut out each side) which light the apex of each corner.

6 HID's in total - we just did it in a way that didn't spoil the lines of the car!

Cheers
M

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Discs weren't changed and the pads were changed at about 14 hrs i think, still had about half left on them!!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
They did well. Must of been hard viewing with just normal lights!

We had more than that.

Both head lights are HID with full beam (which the standard race car doesn't have) and there are two more HID projector beams behind the grill (hence why the grill is cut out each side) which light the apex of each corner.

6 HID's in total - we just did it in a way that didn't spoil the lines of the car!

Cheers
M

Just a shame the golf smashed the light eh matt!!

We had more than that.

Cheers
M

Just a shame the golf smashed the light eh matt!!

my ghetto repair on the spare was the best ;)

in hindsight the HID could of stayed in as it was a loose connection not a smashed bulb due to the impact that turned it off.

the plastic on the cover of the light took the force of the impact, new headlight in in four minutes with complete overhaul and check off car.

never seen anything like it

Glad the lights were mentioned, what are the restrictions in that respect? Some cars had extremely bright lights which appeared to project quite a high beam, I thought must be putting off drivers in front of them.

how did the brakes hold up?? did you have to change discs at all???

congratulations!

The discs lasted 24 hours no problem. They'd have had about another half hour or so in them.

We ran Performance Friction 01 compound pads which lasted pretty much bang on 12 and a half hours. Again with about another hour in them.

No issues with brake temp etc. and bearing in mind its pretty much standard road car stuff without the dust shields thats pretty impressive!

Cheers
M

Glad the lights were mentioned, what are the restrictions in that respect? Some cars had extremely bright lights which appeared to project quite a high beam, I thought must be putting off drivers in front of them.

we thought that too, we had the 6k HIDs which i run in my road car, so they would be fine and the main beams plus projectors mounted within the front bumper.

there was a few tegs, beetle, N24, lupo that had full rally spec light attachments (not the most aerodynamic) and then there was cars with like 8k/10k KIDS splattered all across them.

the porkas had yellow film over theirs and a few had tape over very much in line of european road driving.

to the untrained eye it could of been a 'blind who you can' free for all!!