ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio williams 3 or 182?????

williams
silly question as they are almost worlds apart but im looking for general opinions,,
iv been offered an immaculate willy 3 104k fsh wanted for nothing price 2.5k im also toying wth buying a 182 85k cup packs etc 3900?
i just cant deciede,,,what do you guys reckon:S

I'd probably buy a mint williams now, but only because it would spend 6 days a week not being used at the very least.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Depends what its going to be used for. I couldn't live with a Mint willaims as a daily. I'd be s**t scared of someone pening their door on it!

S&K

182 cup + Elise
Keeper ? if so get the Williams, if not then..................get the Williams. If it was me then I would get the Williams because you aint going to lose money on it, if you keep it a bit then you'll probably make on it and they are a great car to have :)

williams
In fact, if you refuse the Willy can I have dibs on it ?

lol,my mind is 90% made up leaning towards the williams,its not gonna be a daily driver so from a depreciation facrtor it has to be il post a pic up in a min

williams
dscn2707_687.jpg

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Williams for me if it is mint and not a rot box like a lot of willy 3's

That's the trouble with them. I quite often see a mint willy 3 around my way and it's mint, I bloody love it :D

I've checked auto-trader P-heads for a tidy example numerous times, and most are dogs :(

Listerine & Poledo
Willy's Clio!

unless it's a daily driver, in which case a 1X2 would be more tolerable, I guess?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I recognised this scenario from WC. You said you were going to get a Trophy as a daily driver though?

S&K

182 cup + Elise
Nah don't buy the Willy, they're crap, get a 1*2 instead ................. it aint going to work is it ? ;)

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh right ok. I think the 182 is a good everyday car but it's a bit of an odd situation having two cars with very similar capabilities on the drive. If I was having the Williams and another car it would actually be a 172 as the 172 is a bit cheaper and does do slightly better mpg anyway. I think if you're having those two cars you need to have marked out what car is no 1 and what is no 2 and where your time and effort is going to go.

A little about my experiences....

I had a Williams and a 172 for a while but in the end let the Williams go. The problem for me was the 172 did what the Williams did better in most departments, I know this will be met with alot of cynicism from the Williams crew but for me, it's what I found.

Depending on the set-up of the Williams it may grate on you, it may not. If it has coilovers and a big exhaust it will, if it's standard it maybe alot better. My Williams was owned for about 4 years and as a daily driver for two, covering about 35 miles per day at that stage. A small issue which is overlooked is these cars have very short gear-ratios compared to 1*2's. Sitting at 80mph is about 4k. If you've got a loud exhaust it can become boomy and tiresome. Clearly though, that's not the cars fault more your choice in exhaust.

Things which are no longer at the forefront of my mind but used to bug me about the Williams was the long brake pedal travel, tappety engine from cold and constant rust worries.

Saying this, the cars are great. They look iconic, have a great seating position and very good feel. There is a reason why they still keep winning awards and coming top of polls.

In the long run, lots of money may need to be spent keeping it spanking but so long as you've made that mental jump and know it's more than likley going to be just a weekend and meet car it'll be fine.

When the 172 became my no 1 car it was time to let the Williams go. I will have another, just a 1 this time. What's different is I know it's merley going to be an ornament and a 1 day a week car which is covered up the rest of the time.

I have seen pics of that 3 on WC and it looks very nice. I think the 3's look the best tbh as Williams blue can look a little flat imo.

williams
cheers jamie,,,nice valued opinion,,,id love a clio 172 cup,but its not gong to be used everyday which is why im leaning towards the williams i suppose in time the 172 cup will become as iconic as the williams,

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
Good little mini review there Jamie, pretty much bang on.

One thing I would say though is that the Williams is a much more pleasurable driving experience and 'imo' handle better (which again is subjective) when the suspension is completely refreshed. An oft overlooked part, but then most monies are spent fire fighting things like rust sadly :(

I'd love another Williams, thankfully I get to drive one regularly and have the 172 for day to day as I dont care as much about parking it places. No one gives it a 2nd glance and if someone puts a ding in the door/wings while I'm at Tesco's it's not the end of the world.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
cheers jamie,,,nice valued opinion,,,id love a clio 172 cup,but its not gong to be used everyday which is why im leaning towards the williams i suppose in time the 172 cup will become as iconic as the williams,

Not a chance lol. Great cars, but not an icon.

werent the williams 3 more disirable though as less were produced?

No, technically the least desired as they are 432 blue, have a sunroof, ABS, weigh more and are missing the all important plaque. They seem to rust worse, although this could be coincidence.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The 172 Cup will never hit the same level as the Williams, well, imo anyway.

The 3's were the least produced if you like but amongst owners the Williams 1 is the one to have.

I'm sure you don't want to here this now but there are a few not so great things about the 3... The ABS is s**t, it's very slow and crap. It has a sunroof, it's not the best and leaks, it's not even Williams blue (Ok so I prefer the colour but it's a bit odd).

Desireability for me is 1,3,2.

One thing which I can't get out of my blood is how great they are to just drive. Even pootle. It is a special car, get alot of pleasure from just going into town and back. My review makes them sound a bit poo or a little lacking, it's not the case just need the right circumstances.

williams
i suppose in all honesty im just after something i can go for a chilled out cruise in on the weekend,i dont mind dodgy abs,,lol

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I realised I never actually answered. If you're like a few of us who love the cars it should be a Williams 1 and something else for daily use. You won't need to be persuaded to buy one you'll just want to.

I'd go for it then. If you want to just potter these cars are for you. My T has to be nailed and driven hard to realise what it's about and think "wow" - problem is all the rest of the time it's a bit subtle and ok. Williams' aren't really like that you can go any speed, well to me anyway.

In your profile it says car "Williams" and you've been on here a while? Have you had one before or have you whacked it in, in anticipation?

williams
yeah i had a williams 2 for a little,loved it,sold it,regreted it lol,but never a 172/182 cup,i was looking for some valued opinions as to the differences/preferences between oldish and modern,,i really appreciate the constructive comments guys

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh right, so you're a bit nervous about not experimenting? Maybe I'll write a quick review of Williams, 172, 182.

Daz. has gone from a Williams 2 to 172. He'll comment no doubt.

Summeh has a 182 with Cup packs and a Williams 1.

Should all be along.

williams
Ahh right, so you're a bit nervous about not experimenting? Maybe I'll write a quick review of Williams, 172, 182.

Daz. has gone from a Williams 2 to 172. He'll comment no doubt.

Summeh has a 182 with Cup packs and a Williams 1.

Should all be along.
go for it,,if i didnt go for the williams it would have to be the 172 cup,but i just thought westys 182 in classifieds was a bit tempting,,,ahhhh decisions

S&K

182 cup + Elise
If I could own another Williams like my last one I would jump at the chance. I have a 182 Cup now and yes the 182 is a better car overall but its ten years newer !! For me and many others who had just started driving in the 90's the Willy was the ultimate Renault and will be a classic more so than the 172/182 and so on. When you look at the classic car market it is more the lusted after low volume cars that generate more interest than the mass produced versions IMHO. Maybe its just me but the Willy will be the better investment overall :)

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Williams 3 aint a true Williams in my book. Wrong colour no plaque etc.

So 182 or find a nice Original Williams.

BG 182
i just sold my car which was a williams 3 for £2200 was mint 1 tiny bit of rust on boot.sold it to get 172 cup got bord because most things were taking off from me!! an to be honest it took ages to sell not many people want them because the age of them, if your going to keep for a few years you will make some money but thats like 10 years!!