ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Just starting this thread off as I've recently acquired a Clio 182 after looking for the best part of 9 months for the right one. I'll update with a full introduction of myself and the car along with my intentions but for now here are a few pictures and some idea of what I've done, going to do and wants for the car.

CCEB0FA1-5A3D-4484-A1E9-5B6D757C7023.JPG

2004 Black Gold 182 with Cup Suspension option? (need to confirm hub spacing as the spec sheets suggest it was an option on the car)
Scorpion Srn019 ? (single back box)
Royal Retrim With Yellow center marker

List of things done over the past month
  • Retrofitted a Cup Spoiler
  • De fluff Alcantara
  • Gutter and Rubbers scrubbed
  • Cleaned out engine bay scuttle
  • AUX Belt & Pulley replaced due to failing pulley
  • replacement rear boot struts
  • Replaced Dash inserts back to Standard
  • Small Front Plate
List of Things to go on the car
  • Bluetooth phone/ iPod Integration for standard Radio (more on this to come)
  • 172 Black Seatbelts
  • Replacement Centre Console Radio Display
  • New Battery Terminal Cover
  • ReplacemenLower Front Bumper Grill
Maintenance Tasks to do
  • Full underside clean and underseal with Bilt-Hamber products
  • Protect the plastic/rubbers
  • Inspect internal rear quarter panels
List of things I want for the car
  • Coilovers B14's? (something for the best road use)
  • Turini Wheels
  • New Exhaust System (quieter the better)
  • Replacement ECU Bracket.

Started from humble beginning many moons ago in a Clio 1.2 ( Circa 2011)

40CE33D4-EF25-4EC8-8561-428DF49CBD5C.JPG

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Looking into covering the A-pillars and roof headlining with alcantara managed to souced a colour matched sample. Thinking of starting with the A pillers before venturing on to the headlining as ive herd its abit of a ballache.

image.jpg

Picked up an original good condition 172 Steering wheel courtesy of @Braveheart
image.jpg

Now think I’m going to go down the route of the blacker 172 /non sport dashboard swap.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
These are really lovely in black. Never really thought of them in this colour before but they're actually very nice, it really suits the 182.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
These are really lovely in black. Never really thought of them in this colour before but they're actually very nice, it really suits the 182.
When i intially started looking at 172/182 I was adamant I did not want a black one 😂 now look at me! Yeah the colour is a grower, think the key is to keep them clean n swirl free

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Small update today- few things arrived in the post .

1)USB 5w wireless charger internals.
7DAD2C56-322B-45E0-89C7-4C3629E1EFC7.jpeg

2)USB & Aux connection and plate
7225CA8F-CE36-4880-B5A7-7DC7F27472D6.jpeg

Plan is to modernise the interior and add wireless charging and usb/ aux input along with Bluetooth for calls and music all whilst looking OEM.

Reactions: MLB
  2014 Clio 200t edc
Cars looking nice and like the plans. Interested to know details on the wireless charging plan if you don’t mind, where the bits are from etc.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
@PP172 not a 100% sure yet, thinking of mounting it somewhere like the top dash behind the centre display or make a fitment of somesort for where the ”cup holder” are. Got them of ali express few quid each.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Parts are starting to pile up for the little clio. Newest arrival this week is polybushed exhaust mount kit from BBT Motorsport.
66FD916E-6D82-43E7-A4B1-4CA3BEEE557D.jpeg

Will go nicely with my Christmas present to myself the Scorpion 192 thats all boxed up in the garage.

Any tips on removing aftermarket exhaust?

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got around to doing some jobs on the clio this weekend!

Took the dash off so I could fix the centre dash display bought a replacement but turns out it was from a wrong clio 😢 so end up with a trip to halfords to pick up some 509T bulbs for the orginal display, turned out to be a nice easy fix!

I also started the install of a Bluetooth module with USB, mic and aux input to try to bring the Clio into the 21st century. Only plumbed in the cables but I plan on having the inputs flush and as OEM as possible. Plan on adding at a later date wireless charging that will run of the USB or will piggyback of the spare fuse or Something 🙄.

Plan on refreshing the suspension in the near future and have been trying to settle on what springs i want.

Going for Cup shocks and thinking Eibach prolines?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Plan on refreshing the suspension in the near future and have been trying to settle on what springs i want.

Going for Cup shocks and thinking Eibach prolines?
When I bought my first 182 FF it had lowering springs - Yellow Apex - with worn out dampers. It was awful to drive, very bouncy and crashy.

I bought some new cup dampers and have tried Cooksport and Grams, but although they’re light years ahead of those Apex springs, they’re still a bit crashy and the cars don’t grip or turn in too well.

I was running 15” TD Pro Race at the time so avoided the OEM springs as I was trying something that would fill the gap in arches.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought some 16” Cup Turini’s and genuine Cup springs and the car drives and handles so much better. I’ve also switch tyres from AD08R to Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s 195/45/16 and what a transformation.

I’ve got a couple of Clio Sport 182’s, one for track work, the other as my daily and spent a fair bit of money trying different set ups.

I suppose it depends on your taste and what you’re trying to achieve but I’ve learned that Renault knew what they were doing with these cars when they developed them for UK roads.

I’d personally keep a daily 182 as close to factory as possible. If I was combining track days with daily use, then I might be tempted to run cooksports and put up with the substandard ride or go B14.

My dedicated track car is essentially ‘race prepared’ and I can tell you from experience that Clio Sports running stock suspension can certainly hold their own on a track.

Good luck with the car and look forward to seeing what you do with it.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
When I bought my first 182 FF it had lowering springs - Yellow Apex - with worn out dampers. It was awful to drive, very bouncy and crashy.

I bought some new cup dampers and have tried Cooksport and Grams, but although they’re light years ahead of those Apex springs, they’re still a bit crashy and the cars don’t grip or turn in too well.

I was running 15” TD Pro Race at the time so avoided the OEM springs as I was trying something that would fill the gap in arches.

In the end I bit the bullet and bought some 16” Cup Turini’s and genuine Cup springs and the car drives and handles so much better. I’ve also switch tyres from AD08R to Michelin Pilot Sport 3’s 195/45/16 and what a transformation.

I’ve got a couple of Clio Sport 182’s, one for track work, the other as my daily and spent a fair bit of money trying different set ups.

I suppose it depends on your taste and what you’re trying to achieve but I’ve learned that Renault knew what they were doing with these cars when they developed them for UK roads.

I’d personally keep a daily 182 as close to factory as possible. If I was combining track days with daily use, then I might be tempted to run cooksports and put up with the substandard ride or go B14.

My dedicated track car is essentially ‘race prepared’ and I can tell you from experience that Clio Sports running stock suspension can certainly hold their own on a track.

Thanks Jon for sharing your experiences. Wont be touching a track and will purely be daily/ comfy spec that I want, will see how i get on and alot of the info out there is more track-focused so hopefully can get the balance right.

Bit the bullet and my prolines arrived the other day along with a new front grill
DFA7B7D6-22A1-4EA1-9651-FB09E348A405.jpeg

took the clio to the friend's garage and cashed in some favours as i didn't fancy doing the exhaust on the drive way. Fitted along woth bbt motorsport solid exhaust mounts. Couldn't get it lined up properly but will do for now. RS192 Installed and sounds very nice! 👌

D1E08C64-4DDB-4746-A9D8-45260CDB2A3D.jpeg

Picked up some standard mounts to switch over at some point to get it looking right as not a fan of the solid mounts 👌 will be up for sale soon if anyone after 2x solid exhaust mounts.

Next up to be purchased will be a set of dampers to go with the pro springs. Came across a set of Twingo sach dampers that i believe are the same as the trophy but with 54mm. Dont think i can justify the £600 quid price tag but that would be the dream. Think for now I will settle my eyes on the 172 cup set up as I believe I've got the 54mm spacing on mine.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Pro-kit or Sportlines? People often get the 2 mixed up. Pro-kit are OEM equivalent and really nice. Had them on a couple of cars and they’re still a comfortable ride for daily use. I’d go this route if I couldn’t get original cup springs for the daily.

Sportlines are the much lower track version.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Pro-kit or Sportlines? People often get the 2 mixed up. Pro-kit are OEM equivalent and really nice. Had them on a couple of cars and they’re still a comfortable ride for daily use. I’d go this route if I couldn’t get original cup springs for the daily.

Sportlines are the much lower track version.

Pro-kit thankfully ordered. Tell me about it spent a good 2 weeks on different forums reading about the two and how conflicting each persons summary of both where. Ended up buying them for autodoc too as they worked out one of the cheapest. 3 week nervy wait as I contemplated if I'd picked the right ones for what I’m after 😂. It good to hear you say they’re cup equivalent and daily. I couldnt seem to source new cup springs when looking originally.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've had sportlines, H&R and now Grams, I cant say I notice mush difference across the three, maybe slightly stiffer with the Grams? All three were a near perfect height though.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Don't Eibach Pro give reverse rake, so basically sit lower at the back and higher at the front? They do on the DC5 Integra I know that much.

182 arctic

interesting, i found the cooksports on cup dampers way way to soft for track even on road tyres, the car ducks and dives .. on my second 82 i went with grams much improved role resistance.. dont drive hardly at all on on the road so cant comment on that part ...

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Don't Eibach Pro give reverse rake, so basically sit lower at the back and higher at the front? They do on the DC5 Integra I know that much.
Interesting, I'll lookout for this when finally on the car, never came across folk mentioning when I was researching for the Clio but a quick google does show loads of for what you're talking about with DC5 & a few Audis models too so will report back when they are on 🔍

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Never heard that. They don't change look much, if at all.

I've had most springs. I recommend h&r.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Plans for the thread sound good. Do like threads like these.

Interested in what you do for the phone/standard head unit. I have a tunepoint fitted, which gives me USB music via stalk, but that's it. I'd like to have the Bluetooth/mic to make calls but don't want a aftermarket head unit.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
interesting, i found the cooksports on cup dampers way way to soft for track even on road tyres, the car ducks and dives .. on my second 82 i went with grams much improved role resistance.. dont drive hardly at all on on the road so cant comment on that part ...
I never got to drive on track with the cooksports as they were fitted to the daily so couldn’t comment. Never liked them on the road tbh. I can only assume people would fit such a spring to lower the car slightly and firm up the ride. But in terms of ride and comfort Cup springs and dampers are much better.

Last edited:

geoffn

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hello,

Any feedback on the Pro-Kit please ?

I broke a front spring on my 172 CUP and the Pro-Kit seems to be the nearest to the std ride height, which I want to maintain.

Appreciate any help here ! Thanks.

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Hello,

Any feedback on the Pro-Kit please ?

I broke a front spring on my 172 CUP and the Pro-Kit seems to be the nearest to the std ride height, which I want to maintain.

Appreciate any help here ! Thanks.
Hi Geoffn

Came to the same conclusions from research and input in the forums. They seem to be the most equivalent OEM spring available with a similar ride just a tad lower. Sorry for the delay. Not checked on the thread in a while.

Mine are still in the box for now as not bought the rest of the components to swap over.

What did you end up doing?

Last edited:

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Hopefully will have an update coming soon, hopefully, have a car weekend this week, As have loads of little bits to and give it a good old spring clean.

• Install @CFAB ECU repair bracket that I picked up last month.
  • Bought some upgraded bits for my Bluetooth player thing so hopefully, get some pics and recommendations for the folk that are interested.
  • Bunch of new cleaning products to try out.
  • Replace my rear exhaust mounts with standard ones try to get it looking a little straighter.

geoffn

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I went for the Pro-Kit, got a good deal on Amazon in the end, they arrived after 10 days or so.

Not had chance to fit them yet, will leave it a little while for the weather to improve before I give them a go.

Geoff.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I went for the Pro-Kit, got a good deal on Amazon in the end, they arrived after 10 days or so.

Not had chance to fit them yet, will leave it a little while for the weather to improve before I give them a go.

Geoff.

Coat them with some ACF-50 before fitting them. It should keep them looking new incase you decide to take them off and sell them at a later date.

geoffn

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Fitted the Pro-kit front springs today, struts are std 172 Cup which I bought and fitted 1 year ago. Definitely lower ride height, but I didnt actually measure the difference, so not exactly sure how much. Just had a very short test drive, not enough for a formative opinion though.

Rears to follow when the weather looks decent, not tomorrow ! Typical Bank Hol..

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Minor update on the Clio, finally got round to ordering some service bits for the Clio. Gearbox oil, engine oil, cabin & oil filter and some other little bits.

up today was a fresh oil & filter change. No major issues found.

Tomorrow will be giving the car a bit of a spring clean tomorrow, paying attention to the Alcantara bits and get some life back into them!

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Mini project for this weekend🤯

is to look into making my own v6 inspired lower centre console, have anyone else tried something like this?
Picked up a spare centre consle end of last year and was intending on painting up similar to V6 anyways and then thought about gated manuals etc and the adaptor plate you can get for the MK1 Audi TT and then 🤯BAM🤯 it came to me! to use the gear base from a TT MK1 to create a similar V6 look.

Will have a play around and then get to the cutting once it looks like it might line up correctly. The idea is to mount from the underside and lose some of the height and then go the painted finish similar to v6, to make it look like one complete unit.
DE021EBA-1E16-4E20-BE64-2E41584514CF.jpeg
3654EE2F-416F-4ADC-B0D0-D922AAED25AA.jpeg
8C324109-9A57-4C04-8CFD-1FA1F1A08C1A.jpeg

Last edited:

ksixx

ClioSport Club Member
Thankfully the Clio hasn't been neglected as much as this thread has. Since then a fair bit of maintenance has been done. It's been up to St Andrew's for a weekend last year or so and enjoyed some winding roads. lucky have some back roads near me that I go love going down with Clio.

New OEM injectors x 4
new OEM NGK sparkplugs x 4
New Bosch Battery
New inlet manifold Gasket
new MAP Sensor
New OEM Disks all around with the rear bearing
New OEM from Pads and Rears Motrio Pads
New Fuel Line Clip, as I had an episode of it popping off a few times in a row after the new injectors.
Replaced front speakers as one was broken.
Turinis bought and refurbed.
Got some BTT Motorsport Exhaust hangers to put on.
172 phase 1 Gear stick.
and some other stuff I've forgotten.

It has become more of a weekend car than a daily one working fully remotely, but occasionally, I'll put 250 miles on over a day or two with no issues.
Last summer I took to trying to put in a carplay screen and got it test fitted and looking good but I never got around to finalising it and finding/ making a mount for it.
I do have some free time coming up, so looking to do some bits to the clio.

Oil service and filters.
Interior bits and bobs to fit.
Jack her up and see the underside and treat any bits
replace some rusty arch liner bolts etc
and proper deep clean clay bar etc
refurb the headlights lens.
get the turini on for the rest of summer.

Hopefully, get some updated pics and post any mishaps along the way

Last edited:
  2014 Clio 200t edc
Some really good progress you’ve made and some good future proofing coming up. A ph1 gearknob was one of the nicest things I did to my 182, makes such a difference in look and feel. Such a shame Renault skimped on the ph2 gearknob!