ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup winter prep noob content

Hello all
Hoping to give the cup a good clean, clay and wax this week so it's a layer of something for winter. I'm planning on the usual wash method, clay and de tar, wash, then I want to put a layer of ag hd wax on. My question is this, should I give it a hand polish first before the wax or JUST wax? Also I've heard a lot about people sealing there arches? Product for this?
Any help much appreciated.
T

Golf GT & A4 Avant
what condition is the paint in? does it require polishing or would a pre wax cleanser be needed just to cleam it up a bit. What are you wanting to acheive.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
JD, how did you get on with the C4 on the arch liners? Just got a 30ml pot and doing the mud flaps, grilles etc and considering the liners.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I do like the finish of revive and on en-exposed trim it works great like wipers, wing mirrors, but didn't last long on mudflaps, arch liner, splitter. For this I'm hoping C4 will live up to its expectations.

Cheers guys Im all ordered and ready to go. Hopefully will do it this week and post some results. Thanks for the advice!

Put it this way, Dave. My arches are still clean and have stayed that way since the thread. Fk1000p is still beading on the wheels and springs/shocks too. Prep = prolonged. IPA wipe down FTW.

Just to update, I would say so far anytime I cleaned the car Up it's been a thorough wash, today though it was the detail. Started off with the wheels using some iron x and ag wheel cleaner, then clayed for the first time, which I must say was easier than I thought it would. Finished up with a layer of ag srp follOwed by ag he was. All in all a good day, weather held off and managed to get it sealed up for winter. Cheers for the advice people.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That AG HD wax lasted all of about 5 minutes in the test on DW. There are much better products out there on the market for smililar money, I'll leave the experts to advise you on that though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
2 coats of HD wax on my clio lasted 5months. performance wise it's worth its money, but there are slightly easier waxes to use and give a better finish at a loss in durability.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That AG HD wax lasted all of about 5 minutes in the test on DW. There are much better products out there on the market for smililar money, I'll leave the experts to advise you on that though.

AG HD is a superb wax and tbh there isn't better out there for £25.

It's like a decent Collinite 476.

6 months durability easily with decent prep, although maybe not the fanciest wax it's still fantastic at what it does.

Yeah I'm sure there are, but to be honest it's the first detail I've done and I went for middle of the road products whic are easy to use. Didn't have any problems with the wax at all, went on like butter and came off fine. Just took my time and followed the instructions lol!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
AG HD is a superb wax and tbh there isn't better out there for £25.

It's like a decent Collinite 476.

6 months durability easily with decent prep, although maybe not the fanciest wax it's still fantastic at what it does.

Sorry my mistake, I was sure it failed in the big wax test, but I've just re-read it. After the start he doesn't ever mention 845 again but mentions the 476. What's your opinion on it? Seems to last pretty well on my car, but wondering if it's up to the job as it was the first wax I've bought but I really like it.

Just been having a read of some ideas to maintain what I've done. Can I apply another coat of wax in a weeks time or better to use something else?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah just apply another layer mate. Make sure the paint is proper clean though.

172 Cup CC
Sorry to hijack, but I did a similar clean on my cup yesterday, good wash, clay, polish with SRP and a coat of HD wax, didn't have time to get a second coat on as I was losing the light by the time I finished, had to go out this morning and finish the glass off. Ideally I'd like to get another layer on too, Gally how would you clan in preperation for this, just a good thorough wash and dry? I take it I wouldn't want to clay etc again as this would strip some of the wax, am I correct in saying this?

Cheeky beading shot ;)
6410760917_1ef6b29018_b.jpg

P1010952 by le_grande_momo, on Flickr

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate. Good clean and dry and then wax. Anything else with possible strip or weaken the wax.

Tip for applying, do 2 panels at a time. It doesn't need cure time really as it will set rock hard.

Cheers mate, I too shall be applying another later next weekend. Funnily enough I did a panel or two at a time, worked well. Think I was a bit conservative with how much I put on though.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the thinner you put it on the better, put on more and it is wasted when buffing it off, plus it's much harder to remove