ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

D11CUP RB182 project thread

2004 Racing Blue 182

Speaking of points! I reckon she might have got a bit carried away through a speed camera [emoji23] oops!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004 Racing Blue 182
I’ve got a video of the noise from the car, anyone tell me how to post it please?

2004 Racing Blue 182
Dropping the gearbox oil today hopefully, anyone got any pointers/guide to follow/tips and tricks??

PH2 172

Attachments

• GEARBOX FILLER 2015-10-01 18.10.49.jpg
    GEARBOX FILLER 2015-10-01 18.10.49.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 123
  2004 Racing Blue 182
Mileage 97912

Thanks @STEVE.M , that guide was spot on.

Just finished my gearbox oil change before heading off to a family do for the weekend.

Pretty straight forward. Had to remove the induction kit to make my life easier.

The good news is the oil was just oil, no foreign objects in it, the bad news is the noise is still present.

So it looks like a box change/refurb is needed.

Another bit of good news is I seem to have sorted the climate control issues out! Whilst the oil was draining, I swapped the big resistor out under the scuttle panel on the drivers side. That seems to have done the trick. It’s now blowing cool air on 16-18 and gets progressively warmer like it should rather than one hot temp through the range!

So my aim for today is to enjoy the family do, have a few beer, then decide if I keep the car or not. I will defo be fixing the box either way as I wouldn’t want to buy a car with a dodgy box. And I would feel guilty selling it with one even though I have disclosed that info.

Anyway. It’s nearly beer o clock.

NV

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Tell me more about this resistor? Mine was set at 17 and blowing red hot with the air con on the other day, and freezing cold at 5am when I wanted defrosting!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Aircon is never 'cold' in my car unless its freezing outside. On the hot day I had the CC set to Min and it still blowed out hot air. Either the AC needs regassing or something else is wrong. Might check the resistor myself. The cog is fine as on cold days I can start with cold then change to hot and back again.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Tell me more about this resistor? Mine was set at 17 and blowing red hot with the air con on the other day, and freezing cold at 5am when I wanted defrosting!

This is what I changed. It’s located on the drivers side under the scuttle panel. In plug the big plug from it and it’s 2 6mm bolts holding it down.

4a06fe76e107d30ca853d2064e9db98f.jpg

I got it for £8.50 from James Mitchell (JMRS). Seems to have worked a treat.

Renault Clio 182
Having read through this thread many times, I went ahead and purchased this car on Saturday! I am based in Oxfordshire and collected the car from Exeter. I havent been able to spend too much time in it just yet however from the short drives I've had, I love it! Obviously there is a bit of a gap in its history between the last post on this thread and my purchase so I'm interested to get it up on the ramp and see where it's at. It still seems to be running smoothly. It's going in for a full service and check over tomorrow. Interested to see what upgrades are still on the car that have previously been made.

It was tidy when I collected it however I have given it some TLC at my valeting business in Oxford. The headlights have been refinished, exhaust polished, wheels decontaminated, exterior plastics dressed, interior leather treated and seatbelts shampooed. When I can have a proper look tomorrow, areas on the bodywork will be identified to catch any corrosion that may or may not be there.

I'm absolutely loving the car so far and look forward to many miles in it. I will either update this thread or create a new one (not wanting to hijack someone elses thread!) if there's any interest.

Cheers!

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-05 at 6.42.02 PM.jpeg

4c9b250b-cc8f-43bd-af2c-34376eb9999e.JPG
e1ba223b-5dc1-465f-9537-6d19cf185373.JPG
ea684356-0f10-46e4-ac1d-3ec7b0af01ff.JPG
eba920f7-89fd-4c06-bc2e-61605f1113d7.JPG
fff6a183-785b-4e71-b878-b5c15f44102b.JPG

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Bit more info for you mate:

Should fill in a bit of the gap after the above date

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Good to see this car still going strong and looking great (it was my first Racing Blue 182).

Renault Clio 182
Bit more info for you mate:

Should fill in a bit of the gap after the above date

That's very helpful, thanks!

Dropped it off at the garage this morn. Going to have the various bulb issues sorted and get an assessment carried out on anything else that needs doing. There is a loud knock which sounds like it comes from the front right when the chassis is loading/ unloading. The clutch is also seriously heavy! Hopefully we can get to the bottom of that quickly...

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like the clutch might have had some abuse. I've been to see it about a year and a half ago when it had the gearbox refurbished and I seem to remember the clutch was replaced at the same time.

Always good to get it checked. Hope it'll be easy to sort as it was a very tidy example after all the work @NaplesValver and @Landyman put in it!

Renault Clio 182
Initial assessment carried out today. Unfortunately some pretty extensive work to do!

- Rear brake line replacing
- Exhaust clamps replacing
- Anti roll bar bushes replacing
- Sump gasket is leaking
- Steering pinion leaking
- Clutch replacement
- Gearbox bolt missing from side of gearbox
- Top mounts most likely need to be replaced to remedy the knocking noise. It does however have custom ones on there at the mo. Can anyone shed any light on these?

I’ll be receiving costing for all of this tomorrow 🤦🏼‍♂️ Hoping it’s doable and I won’t incur more huge bills thereafter!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it has PMS top mounts and brace bar. Unless they are worn I wouldn’t be replacing them. Have the garage said what parts they will be using?

Gearbox bolt isn’t a biggy. Clutch sounds like it will need changed if it is really heavy. A lot of them are though and soldier on so your choice.

Replace brake pipe. New steering rack, ARB bushes and new sump gasket. Job done.

Land Rover
Heavens that’s my old car turned up again! I did a lot of work on it and then sold it to a guy over Sheffield somewhere. He sold it on to another guy who spent £800 on it then apparently sold it to a girl.
It must be on owner no. 20 now as it had 14 previous owners when l had it.
I replaced the gearbox, clutch, belts, driveshafts, ball joints, aircon condenser, gear linkage/lever, and a ton of other stuff. You should have the receipts for all of that, l spent over £3,000

Glad to see it back!! It drove really well, the previous owner to me had it set up on the Hunter alignment rig (receipts should be there)
I think it needed the fuelling looking at as it drank a lot of fuel, it had been set up with the timing slightly out one tooth and was a lot smoother after l had the belts done.
I fully wax treated inside the rear wings sills and everywhere else, it stank of wax for weeks!
Most of the work was done as Birchdown Auto Services.

Land Rover
How many miles has it done now?
I had a new clutch fitted at around 100,000 miles together with a new cable. The clutch was really light when l sold the car.
But l guess that was three owners ago, although l only sold it in 2018. Maybe one of the owners has abused the clutch.

I also replaced all four injectors and fitted new genuine HT leads. I didn’t like the aftermarket air filter and got together all the parts to put it back to original. However l never got around to doing it.

There were no electrical issues when l had it, but the CAT had been removed although it was given with the car if anybody wanted to put it back on, say for the MOT.
So it may or may not be on the car now. I also fitted an OE stereo as the one fitted was un fathomable
And l re wired all the speakers as they were out of phase and sounded terrible.

The car also had various oil leaks and l think l cured them all, or at least the work l had done cured them.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio 182
It had a new clutch at around 100,000 miles together with a new cable. The clutch was really light when l sold the car.

I also replaced all four injectors and fitted new genuine HT leads.

I thought I would try to carry on this online history of the cars journey. This thread along with all the paperwork that came with the car make for a very comprehensive history!

I collected the car from said lady in Exeter.

I'm definitely going to have to get the clutch done. Despite friends who own the same cars mentioning that they tend to be on the heavy side, this is REALLY heavy and somewhat detracts from the drive. Can't wait to get it sorted so I can fully experience the car.

It's interesting you mention the fuelling, it does go through it at an impressive rate - something else to add to the list!

Do you know about the top mounts? Some of the paperwork from the previous lady shows that her garage inspected them and noted them as being custom fabricated but likely the cause of the 'knocking noise'. They didn't take any action though...

Thanks for the reply!

Renault Clio 182
How many miles has it done now?
I had a new clutch fitted at around 100,000 miles together with a new cable. The clutch was really light when l sold the car.
But l guess that was three owners ago, although l only sold it in 2018. Maybe one of the owners has abused the clutch.

I also replaced all four injectors and fitted new genuine HT leads. I didn’t like the aftermarket air filter and got together all the parts to put it back to original. However l never got around to doing it.

There were no electrical issues when l had it, but the CAT had been removed although it was given with the car if anybody wanted to put it back on, say for the MOT.
So it may or may not be on the car now. I also fitted an OE stereo as the one fitted was un fathomable
And l re wired all the speakers as they were out of phase and sounded terrible.

The car also had various oil leaks and l think l cured them all, or at least the work l had done cured them.

It's on 107,700 miles now.

Unfortunately I didn't get the cat in the sale. Fingers crossed on that one as the MOT is due end of Sep!

Land Rover
When l had the car it was fitted with PMS top mounts but the owner after me had them replaced with something else.

That clutch didn’t last long😬

The car was doing 20mpg on short journeys and you
could literally smell the fuel in the exhaust gases! It made my Defender 110 seem economical at 28mpg

It was absolutely great to drive though. The engine response was instant and the handling/steering superb.
A previous owner replaced a lot of the interior plastics plus the steering wheel. I also fitted a complete new gear lever assembly.
The plastic engine cover was with the car when l sold it but l preferred it without it fitted, also it fouled the front strut brace.

But after spending over £3,000 and more jobs looming l’d had enough. I spent less on my Ferrari and that was older, made in 1989.

Having said that l still miss the Clio because it was just so good to drive, and looked great, l keep looking at them on Ebay
If you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

Renault Clio 182
When l had the car it was fitted with PMS top mounts but the owner after me had them replaced with something else.

That clutch didn’t last long😬

The car was doing 20mpg on short journeys and you
could literally smell the fuel in the exhaust gases! It made my Defender 110 seem economical at 28mpg

It was absolutely great to drive though. The engine response was instant and the handling/steering superb.
A previous owner replaced a lot of the interior plastics plus the steering wheel. I also fitted a complete new gear lever assembly.
The plastic engine cover was with the car when l sold it but l preferred it without it fitted, also it fouled the front strut brace.

But after spending over £3,000 and more jobs looming l’d had enough. I spent less on my Ferrari and that was older, made in 1989.

Having said that l still miss the Clio because it was just so good to drive, and looked great, l keep looking at them on Ebay
If you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

I should find out costings for everything that needs doing at some point today. Given my intention was to buy something that didn’t need loads of work, it’s not an ideal start! With that being said, I can already see the appeal of these cars and this one in particular!

What you’re saying re the fuel is still exactly the same! 😂 the smells are still there!

Anyway, let’s see what the quote says later today...🤞🏻

Land Rover
At the risk of starting another argument, l think that RB is the best colour!
Report back on how you get on with it.