ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daily dci

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Daily dci was starting to look a little unloved as not been cleaned for at least 8 weeks. Give it a wash, quick decontamination, polish with SRP by hand and a coat of Finish Kare 1000p wax. Trims had a quick coat of AG bumper gel on as thats all i had in stock, need to get some more gtechniq c4 to keep them looking fresh for longer.

Its no minter but cleans up great for 140k on the clock. 60+mpg everywhere and £30 a year tax its basically free motoring !
20180828_155700.jpg
20180828_163109.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
What did you used to restore black plastics ?

I used Gtechniq c4 on them a couple of years ago and just topped them up with a little bit of trim gel. Need another coat of C4 really it lasts for ages.

Never seen one in that colour. Looks very nice!

Cheers mate. They used to be a few the same colour around here but most have dissappeared. I always think of it as the povo spec inferno

The Gtechniq C4, is that worth getting then? Have a load of black plastic on my other car that needs some love and not sure tyre/trim gel is going to cut it

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
A few updates

Been a bit neglected recently as loads on. A few weeks back a front wheel bearing started making mega noise so has not really moved for past few weeks. All the other cars are sorn for winter and with only the Kangoo on the road (or off when it breaks ?) and mot runs out soon thought i best put some effort in and get it sorted before im walking everywhere in shite weather?

First up both front wheel bearings. Passenger side was shot, no play but no grease. Drivers not far off

Stripped
20181212_101154.jpg

Big hammer to get the bearing casing out. Grinder on the inner race on the hub until almost through then split with a chisel
20181212_101213.jpg

New bearings pressed in with my 20ton press in the garage. Bought a pair of FAG quality bearings, listed for Dacia Sandero as cross referenced part number which worked out cheap as chips
20181212_103923.jpg

Refitted and coated everything with Acf50 for a bit of winter protection
20181212_134902.jpg
Cleaned wheels with Bilt Hamber Korrosol inside and out as they are rarely off. Prepped and powdercoated them myself a few years back still holding out ok. Quick coat of gtechniq c2 liquid crystal on them as too cold/damp to seal properly
20181212_134801.jpg
20181212_134814.jpg

With the wheels looking good the bodywork needed a wash badly. AG avalanche followed by 2 bucket wash. Too damp to dry or add any qd so can wait until next time.
20181212_144444.jpg

Still comes up epic for £80 gumtree buy. All done and dusted 3.5 hrs work and drives great again. Bargain motoring costs nothing to run or fix !
20181212_154039.jpg

Thanks for reading ?

Very tidy that, and I like the colour and wheels. Is it the 100bhp version?

What do the DCI's drive like? Only driven Clio 172/182's and a 1.2 16v

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Very tidy that, and I like the colour and wheels. Is it the 100bhp version?

What do the DCI's drive like? Only driven Clio 172/182's and a 1.2 16v

Mine is 65hp its pretty povo spec. Its no flyer but fairly nippy compared to the small petrol engined clio's. It will sit at 70mph all day on the motorways but if 80 or higher feels like your flogging it. Good mpg though 65mpg @70mph all day long.

100hp is the best one to have. Ive planned on upgrading this to 80/100spec just not got round to it yet. Still fancy going 1.9dti conversion too, will see what the new year brings

Mine is 65hp its pretty povo spec. Its no flyer but fairly nippy compared to the small petrol engined clio's. It will sit at 70mph all day on the motorways but if 80 or higher feels like your flogging it. Good mpg though 65mpg @70mph all day long.

100hp is the best one to have. Ive planned on upgrading this to 80/100spec just not got round to it yet. Still fancy going 1.9dti conversion too, will see what the new year brings

Sounds like the perfect daily! Bet the handling is decent enough too, so you can keep up with faster cars round the twisties :)

I’d much sooner have a dci than the 1.2 as that was seriously lacking on torque.

is the 1.9dti from the Clio mk1? What’s the benefit of swapping to this engine?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Sounds like the perfect daily! Bet the handling is decent enough too, so you can keep up with faster cars round the twisties :)

I’d much sooner have a dci than the 1.2 as that was seriously lacking on torque.

is the 1.9dti from the Clio mk1? What’s the benefit of swapping to this engine?

Handling is great its good on the back roads. Needs better springs really as on apex spinebreakers at the moment. Torque far better than any small engined petrol clio, with a bit of pedalling it can go pretty well?

The 1.9dti is out of the laguna. Quite a big job to fit as it uses the ndo 6 speed box. Good potential for tuning though @HMS Derv Destroyer has done the conversion and it goes well, s**t loads of torque and retains good mpg.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Handling is great its good on the back roads. Needs better springs really as on apex spinebreakers at the moment. Torque far better than any small engined petrol clio, with a bit of pedalling it can go pretty well[emoji846]

The 1.9dti is out of the laguna. Quite a big job to fit as it uses the ndo 6 speed box. Good potential for tuning though @HMS Derv Destroyer has done the conversion and it goes well, s**t loads of torque and retains good mpg.

Can get the 1.9 dTi from the MK1 Scenic/Clio, uses the JC5 gearbox. 90bhp but chuck some new injector nozzles on it and a hybrid then roll some proper coal[emoji6]

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
True, they don’t even last long on a standard 172 ffs haha

At that point it goes from a reliable daily to a mad build, that’s the only reason I held off of the idea doing it to mine lol

Thats the only thing thats stopping me doing the conversion at the mo, id need another daily driver whilst the daily turns into a project ?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Kangoo makes a good daily when its not broken, which seems to be fairly often lately? get my other van back up and running first then ill probably do it. The plan is to get some decent derv power then trip to the Nurburgring in it. Might even go next year with the 1.5 in for the crack.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Kangoo makes a good daily when its not broken, which seems to be fairly often lately[emoji23] get my other van back up and running first then ill probably do it. The plan is to get some decent derv power then trip to the Nurburgring in it. Might even go next year with the 1.5 in for the crack.

Marv slams his 1.5 dCi round the ring all day everyday without issue[emoji23] You’ve just got a bit further to drive home if it goes kaboom haha

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
1.9DTi is the old F8T unit , that's a straight fit wiTh a jc5 box, BUT is old school electronic controlled VE pump.

1.9 Dci F9Q/ F9K 6 speed version is the one to go for. 5 speed block won't take a NDO 6 speed.

Makes a massive difference having the 1.9 and a cruise gear.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Swapped the springs for 172 Eibach sportlines today. Its slightly higher than before but still acceptable, the ride is night and day compared to the old Apex spinebreakers. Ive just had a new job offer which will press this into daily duties again, going to do the clutch asap as its on its last legs, not bad for 143k though on original clutch !
20190217_154132.jpg
20190217_154123.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Eibachs have made a massive difference to ride quality. Clutch next weekend, not really looking forward to it however have put it off for last 12 months :cautious:

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Will do mate. Kangoo is on the road use it quite often. Extra will be back on the road soon too if all goes well.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Made a start on the clutch change on Friday as gearchange was starting to become difficult & need to use the car for work in the next few weeks.

Subframe off and box off, all bolts as rusty as expected
20190323_162326.jpg

New clutch in, old one almost down to the rivets
20190323_162314.jpg

Give the chassis rails a quick de rust and paint, as quite a lot of surface rust. Still expected for a 15 year old car, should last a few more years
20190324_175259.jpg
20190324_175309.jpg
20190324_175343.jpg

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
All done and dusted earlier on ths week, new clutch feels awesome, mega light should have done it years ago. Had toe set yesterday too so good to, go for plenty of miles.

Cruise to fit next. Can anybody give some tips how to remove the metal ecu top cover? Cant get it off and ive been pulling /levering it, seems to be stuck on the battery side

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Good work Brigsy. I need one of those guns. Couldnt get a drop link bolt off today and bet one of those would crack it straight off.