ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Daniels Blue 182.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
That's defo the sound of your spring twanging as you turn the suspension, because the top and bottom cups don't have a slot or stop to sit in the cup are moving and picking up on the spring, like I said mine did this only for a day or after I've had it in the air, I'd say if your top bearing is nice and free and there is no way that you have installed them wrong then apply some copper grease onto both upper and lower spring seats to allow it to move without picking up..

You defo have the collar under the top mounts to allow space between them? I'm sure you would have because it probably wouldn't go on without it very well, shame your not closer, would have it up on a ramp and sorted in no time! [emoji22]

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I think i'll remove them both after work tomorrow and inspect them fully and grease them up like you say! Thanks again for your advice in here mate, I really do appreciate it.

I've done another little drawing of how i've assembled them (these post it notes are a godsend, my spatial awareness is not lol).

15895653860_f175585a53_b.jpg
20141222_222924 by dann2707, on Flickr

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
I think i'll remove them both after work tomorrow and inspect them fully and grease them up like you say! Thanks again for your advice in here mate, I really do appreciate it.

I've done another little drawing of how i've assembled them (these post it notes are a godsend, my spatial awareness is not lol).

15895653860_f175585a53_b.jpg
20141222_222924 by dann2707, on Flickr

That's spot on mate, lovely drawing too! The lines remind me of Édouard Manet... Truly dramatic, brings a tear to my eye!

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Car looks awesome mate! Fair play to you.

You're not far from me we should organise a meet sometime with a few others although I'll be in the megane. The clios coming off the road for respray/colour change and boost!

The car sitting lower on one side issue did you sort it. The drivers side usually sits lower when adjusted equally with the extra weight causing a bit more sag! I could be wrong but I had to re adjust mine once settled.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Pics of flatness scale needed.

As I said, you'll never get it 100% spot on due to to many variables such as the amount of fuel you have at any given time etc. Adjust it 10mm, see if it visually looks like it sits level and leave it at that.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Pics of flatness scale needed.

As I said, you'll never get it 100% spot on due to to many variables such as the amount of fuel you have at any given time etc. Adjust it 10mm, see if it visually looks like it sits level and leave it at that.
Am I right in thinking when you get a proper setup they sit you in the car etc? I'm sure my mate said this when he got his VXR 220 set up!

I usually hover around half a tank. Rarely run a full tank unless I'm on a big trip and CBA searching for shell garages

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Am I right in thinking when you get a proper setup they sit you in the car etc? I'm sure my mate said this when he got his VXR 220 set up!

I usually hover around half a tank. Rarely run a full tank unless I'm on a big trip and CBA searching for shell garages

I set mine up with my weight in the drivers seat on corner weight scales!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5

TBH, I wasn't that anal about mine. I measured it when I was out of the car and it looked level so that was good enough for me. If I was going to track the car properly then yeh, I'd get it set up with corner weighing scales but as a daily, it's just wasted expense to me.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
TBH, I wasn't that anal about mine. I measured it when I was out of the car and it looked level so that was good enough for me. If I was going to track the car properly then yeh, I'd get it set up with corner weighing scales but as a daily, it's just wasted expense to me.

And to be honest, mine was pretty much perfect from side to side *before adjustment on the scales and very good front to rear, was surprised how balanced they actually are...

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
And to be honest, mine was pretty much perfect from side to side *before adjustment on the scales and very good front to rear, was surprised how balanced they actually are...

Yeah that's a fair point. If it's just a road car no need to go too serious.

Thank you @JD_RS172 and yes definitely!!

I'll be sorting out the height problem tonight :D

Are your driveshafts no knocking with it being that low btw? My phase 1 was terrible but you'll have the extra clearance I'm guessing with those wheels

P.S got them PS3's fitted and alignment done. Sticking like glue again now. On the way to work this morning at 4am I thought I'll give it some beans while roads are empty. Made it a joy to drive again.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
PS3's are brilliant. Had some on my A3 and it just gripped and gripped and gripped. Loads better than the ditch finders it came with.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Honestly can't fault them. Quality buy. Going to put some on the megane it's just a little pricier for the 18's haha

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
It's payday tomorrow, I need to kerb my spending ideally.

Shall I go for a stiff shift 3.0 kit as my gearstick is so f**king floppy when in gear it's horrendous or two more ps3's for the rear? My current ones are budgets on the rear.

I'm swaying towards the tyres (or both) help me :(

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Honestly can't fault them. Quality buy. Going to put some on the megane it's just a little pricier for the 18's haha

Yeh mine were 18's on the A3, not the cheapest but certainly worth the money.

Shall I go for a stiff shift 3.0 kit as my gearstick is so f**king floppy when in gear it's horrendous or two more ps3's for the rear? My current ones are budgets on the rear.

Both, but with recent bad weather I'd go with tyres.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
How worn down are the rears? I would keep them on the car if they have life left as you probably wont be going that quick in this weather anyway. In spring you can always swap the fronts to the rear and get new PS3's for the fronts. Everytime I type PS3's I keep thinking of playstations tie wrapped to the wheels ha
You mentioned there is play in the strut like in this pic, if you want can dig mine out and have a look and see if mine are like that
93cd0bb2d7b822938889709e0e8e9749_zpsca21ff85.jpg

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225

Get the tyres mate. I crashed mine a little over two months ago. It was wet and tyres were budgets. Fronts held and rears didn't. Now my car looks like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to go to the body shop

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How worn down are the rears? I would keep them on the car if they have life left as you probably wont be going that quick in this weather anyway. In spring you can always swap the fronts to the rear and get new PS3's for the fronts. Everytime I type PS3's I keep thinking of playstations tie wrapped to the wheels ha
You mentioned there is play in the strut like in this pic, if you want can dig mine out and have a look and see if mine are like that
93cd0bb2d7b822938889709e0e8e9749_zpsca21ff85.jpg

They are fairly worn, not illegal just yet though. They are really cheap avons. It's okay buddy I think i've sorted it. I think there is supposed to be movement in that area as when the topmount is done up on the strut, it is absolutely solid and doesn't move up and down (the topmount). Worlds worst explanation I know! I think I might have sorted out the issue though, maybe! I removed both struts tonight and the nearside, the one where the creaking is, the contact point between the platform surfaces and the springs had lots of grit and small stones in there which I imagine would easily cause the snagging. So i've cleaned it all out and greased it up as per @incy-spider 's instructions. I'm picking the girl up later from her works Xmas bash in harrogate tonight so that will give me a chance to test them. I really hope she's drunk, you never know I might get her to promise me some car parts hahahaha might even give it a go regardless lol

Get the tyres mate. I crashed mine a little over two months ago. It was wet and tyres were budgets. Fronts held and rears didn't. Now my car looks like a jigsaw puzzle waiting to go to the body shop

I think you'r right buddy. No point having decent fronts and s**t rears!

Have to say i have read through the last 5/6 pages. Its been so good, love what you have done! Like how you try and do everything yourself!

Keep it up :smile:

Thank you Rory!! I think it's in my nature to have a crack at things first especially with being quite technical and hands on. I used to be really into gaming and wanted to go down games design for uni but well happy I decided on engineering. Get's me out of the house and all the bitchezzzzzz (it doesn't 😧 )

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
He's so apologetic so it's all good, was an accident . It's just rear bumper damage but needs a respray or a new one :(

How much do you think it would come to for a new one to be sprayed?!

Inferno 225 cup
Keep the work up mate, coming on so well.

If no luck with the spoiler paint, give Si@sprayshack a shout. He's a wizard with a paint gun.

Merry Christmas kid.

Theres loads of artic blue rear bumpers on ebay bud. some with odd scuffs for like £40 and almost mint ones for around £100. Its slowly getting there mate. Just need some turinis now ;)

merry christmas mate

RB Clio 182
Best bet probably ebay but you cant be sure it will be mint.

Sorry to hear this mate, at least its something else to mess with and keep you busy.

I know how you feel tho, I have a few niggly problems that need sorting, cant wait to get it back up to Clioturbo.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Do any of you know if its possible to buy new bumpers off Renault?
Just an idea but you could get the front bumper sprayed at the same time to save a bit of money as they usually have stone chips etc.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Rear bumper is nice and easy only that black plastic trim out and the exhaust tips off, £150 - £200 I'd of thought for a top notch job..

That's not bad at all mate! Thanks. It'll most likely be in the new year now seeing as though the whole world shuts down around this time of year, bizarre!

Keep the work up mate, coming on so well.

If no luck with the spoiler paint, give Si@sprayshack a shout. He's a wizard with a paint gun.

Merry Christmas kid.

Thanks a lot Jacob and Merry Christmas to you and your Wife and your Son too :)

Theres loads of artic blue rear bumpers on ebay bud. some with odd scuffs for like £40 and almost mint ones for around £100. Its slowly getting there mate. Just need some turinis now :wink:

merry christmas mate

Just had a gander, thanks for the advice. It's such a shame as they all look spot on apart from one or two chips that let them down :( I'd want it looking as immaculate as it was before so it's looking more and more likely a respray. Merry Christmas to you too man!

Tell him he can buy you a new one as your Christmas present haha.

Have a good one dude.

Haha he can't stop apologising to me, same with the gf's Mum! They're so nice it would be impossible for me to get annoyed. They were fearing to tell me as they know how much time I put into it. I usually rush off Sunday morning after I stay over to do car stuff through the day, luckily they understand what i'm like.

You too man, hope santa brings you a 182, finally ;)

Best bet probably ebay but you cant be sure it will be mint.

Sorry to hear this mate, at least its something else to mess with and keep you busy.

I know how you feel tho, I have a few niggly problems that need sorting, cant wait to get it back up to Clioturbo.

Aye, exactly and some sellers ideas of "mint condition" are far from others unfortunately, anything to get money.

What's up with the car Tom?

This is the damage. On closer inspection it's not as bad as I first though as lots of it was black paint transfer from his Avensis.

16094420435_ea8e24bcd9_b.jpg
20141224_113531 by dann2707, on Flickr

15474741533_4816e273ba_b.jpg
20141224_113547 by dann2707, on Flickr

My phone doesn't show it but it's scuffed the lacquer to the left too.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Haha he can't stop apologising to me, same with the gf's Mum! They're so nice it would be impossible for me to get annoyed. They were fearing to tell me as they know how much time I put into it. I usually rush off Sunday morning after I stay over to do car stuff through the day, luckily they understand what i'm like.

You too man, hope santa brings you a 182, finally ;)

Ah well, accidents happen, doesn't look too bad though, wouldn't have thought it'd be a new bumper jobby.

Me too, I'm just about to put my ayfree up for sale now so hopefully won't be too long :).

Trophy 182
That Sucks Big time!! wouldn't it be cheaper to get it resprayed then get a whole new one?
Bumper doesn't looks structurally damaged from the pic bud. If its only paint, will be easier to get it SMART repaired or if you can afford it take the bumper off and get it down to a bodyshop for respray. A second hand bumper will more than likely have a few small scratches on which you will want to repair anyway. :)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I think a respray would be on the cards yeah. Hopefully i'll be able to get it sorted before i'm back to work on the 5th.

I've managed to do something today that no man has ever done in the history of car forums - I changed my pollen filter for a new one without taking a side by side picture of the new next to the old one with a comment similar to "FWOARRRR I'm glad i'm changing this, look at the colour difference" or "Pollen filter change was definitely over due" lol

I also inspected underneath to see where it was catching on full lock and the lovely black bits showed me where

16069736246_5d8563876f_b.jpg
20141224_145613 by dann2707, on Flickr

So I erm, cut them out!! Hope that will stop the horrible sound.

Anyway, time to get embarrassingly drunk.

Hope you all have a great Christmas tomorrow!!

Daniel

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hope everyone's having a great day today!

I've ordered this wheel and a momo boss this morning as a little xmas present to myself. Credit to @MarkX for the pic. Should really tidy up the interior even more, can't wait to get rid of the big ol' bus wheel and will be able to recoup some of money by selling it on seeing as though the thumb grips are brand new.

66AECF56-8C46-4FD5-9E69-32A821CE8652_zpssa4pkmhm.jpg

And despite me trying to reason with myself not to spend dollar I also may have bought another pair of Michelin PS3's and the Yanoo Stiff s**t 3.0

Can't wait to receive everything :D

New to-do list created!!

15919201787_777b2da098_b.jpg
20141225_194505 by dann2707, on Flickr

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

It looks good, even has the lift up collar for reverse.
Needs a leather gaitor though and I think it would look good with a carbon fiber tube to cover the metal shaft.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The stiff shift i've gone for isn't the full deal unfortunately, just the part at the base of the shaft (hehe) that stiffens the gear changes and removes a rubber bush that splits like mine has.

I've opted to stick this in a Renault Scenic gearshaft assembly to raise the gear stick like the PURE one but at a massively reduced cost! I wasn't sold on it originally but i've been looking at the longer sticks and felt one today and it definitely feels better despite me not liking them originally.

Reactions: Gus