ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DannyR's 3rd Supercharged Clio trying to be Epic Build Thread

Have been following this thread with interest, turned out to be a real nice build! Get some vids uploaded! Where did you source the charger from?

SQ5
Is it me or have a load of posts gone missing?

That's a precise figure, was then when on rolling road?

I've still got the big restrictor you ran ;)

SQ5
I sourced it from the guy that bought it off bomber.

Well I've had a new restrictor made for it which is 33mm, 1mm bigger than your first (last was 35mm) and it runs 7 PSI which is about 0.5/5 bar, it seems every extra mm runs and extra 0.1 bar.

I've got one video of a friend driving it last night, I'll see if it's any good.

LY Megane R26
Awesome work and machine mate, keep it up!

It's just silly quick and pulls like a train!

Thanks for the ride today;)

SQ5
IMG_47681.jpg

IMG_47691.jpg

IMG_47701.jpg

IMG_47711.jpg

IMG_47741.jpg

IMG_47751.jpg

IMG_47771.jpg

IMG_47781.jpg

IMG_47791.jpg

Clio 172
Looking very mean and moody. Do the rear bumper holes make alot of diffference? I appreciate the concept of less drag but is it more psychological or does it actually work?

SQ5
I have no idea as the wheel well is right behind there anyway, I "thought" it felt more stable but like you say very psychological.

So, it cut out today and alternator was shot, only had it on 100 odd miles from Clio spares :( luckily with warranty though. Found my missus brothers track Clio and it had the cup setup in it unknown to most of us so I nabbed that earlier and now running 14v again :)

Trafic 140dci
Car looks good in the pictures, you'll have to take me for a spin in it some time would love to see how that thing goes!!

SQ5
Lol as much as that is true I have sold one with a broken engine but supplied a second engine!

I also sold one I started to break but had enough parts to make a whole one!

While I'm here I suppose I'd better update a little.

Interior direction is changing a little as will have cage properly welded in and I'll have a ph2 dash and door cards with carpets all in. I like the idea of a carpeted out quieter car. I've got the power to pull it so 10kgs more in interior isn't holding me back.

Also for my main fuse fitted to battery and adjusted my doors as one wouldn't unlock!

172 cup
Nice project, just read threw every page. One question, who made up the brackets for the supercharger and what sort of money are they? Got a spare engine lying around and is rather tempting

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
See this go last night Danny (was in the iceberg down the dually :s) and holy f**k does it shift! :p nice project mate! Will have to have a proper look round it when I get mine back on the road :)

SQ5
Haha, I thought I'd give them a laugh.

Did he think his brakes were a bit better lol, thought he was going to hit the roundabout!

SQ5
Yea adey and bomber bought a couple of sets. Adey's snapped when he had them, then I had this set off bomber and it snapped.

Currently looking into ways of strengthening it, should be able to put some steel plating to help and then add another bolt keep it all sturdy.

Qashcow
Ffs hadn't realised this ones now cracked too! Adey's had done about 11k miles before it did, mines only done about1-2k miles. I think Jon someone also had these and lasted ~25k miles without problems. Adey did do some strentghening to his but also left it broken for 2 months lol. I'll try find/get hold of some pics

Riley, They were originally from Omex/GDI and these were the last ones they had. Best bet would be tryig to get the mounts out of RS Tuning if possible

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
Haha, I thought I'd give them a laugh.

Did he think his brakes were a bit better lol, thought he was going to hit the roundabout!

Yeah I see you get in yours and he was gonna come back to thetford but I told him to go down dually as I've not seen yours go yet :p bloody quick...wanna do mine now :(

And tell me about it...roundabout was coming up pretty quick tbh lol! that's how he generally drives though tbh...been like it in all his cars! :/

SQ5
Soooo, it's been a while.

Car is nearly over a thousand miles and getting ready for another thousand next week on a road trip to the Nurburgring :)

I do not trust it at all but I've got loads of spares, done a load of checks and everything seems to be ok except I'm front pads only have 3-4mm so if I find some in my garage I'll swap them out.

Also today I fitted a camera we had a work for ages, is a two way camera with GPS and G sensor. I fitted it an tested and quality is loads better than I thought

568566ba-c54c-3fdd.jpg

Also fitted a 12v socket as the camera needs this but mainly for charging phones on the way to Germany.

568566ba-c5b7-32ad.jpg

Excuse the flocking, whoever done it clearly didn't know how to properly! It's all getting sorted when I get back with a ph2 dash!

I also need to sort out a boot carpet and a mate had some old stuff from something and it fitted almost perfectly so got that roughly in, unsure if it deadens any sound yet!

568566ba-c631-36b0.jpg

Trafic 140dci
F*ck me Danny you missed the best bit! You've actually got a fuse on your battery :p Have you sorted anything for the S/C bracket?

SQ5
Well as everyone else is doing a post Ring update I suppose I'd best do it too!

I definitely think I was the most nervous doing this as the car had only done a thousand miles before having to do another thousand around the worlds most dangerous track and also across the water on the continent. In the end I ended up having the most reliable and one of the most economical!

I did have to change my pads on the way but I knew these were low and only bought 6 hours before leaving home so I did these on one of our stops, 20 minutes and both sides were done!

568566ba-3f9e-55f9.jpg

Having arrived at the Nurburgring and setting up we went up the to a viewing point we found, this was one of the fastest dangerous corners on the track which got me having second thoughts! I was having second thoughts! After having a sleep after near 24 hours of being awake I was seeing clearer and bought a lap knowing I'd use it.

568566ba-4036-55fc.jpg

568566ba-404c-ebda.jpg

I ended up doing two very steady laps not worrying about times or anything, out broke myself once and was happy I'd been around.

Knowing that I got home with no problems I would of definitely gone around more times, but doing the trip on a small budget meant I had to think about getting it home!

I had some fun and even more fun on the roads around and just taking it all in, atmosphere of the place is great, and not just in one place the whole area is just buzzing, genuinely missing the place and I will definitely be back later this year!

568566ba-40df-5ee6.jpg

568566ba-40f3-1f84.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338327327.465962.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338327351.994449.jpg

BG DCI
Really sweet clio!

So so so good looking front end! Nasty thing haha!

Did I miss the video somewhere along the thread?

Thanks

SQ5
Quick video from trip here ;)

Had one of me racing Lewis in his 212bhp Clio on ITB's, that showed how well it goes.

Lewis's is very quick but I just accelerate from nothing!

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 172
Wow, awesome build, I'm new to clio's and this is how I want mine to be :)

Couple of question Danny if it's ok.

What conrods are you using? You mentioned F4RT rods early on in the thread.
What size supercharger are you using?
How much does your car weight?
Does having 25mm spacers not put more stress on the wheel bearings?
Has the ecu been mapped live or is it just a general chip for supercharging?
How much power does it make?

SQ5
Wow, awesome build, I'm new to clio's and this is how I want mine to be :)

Couple of question Danny if it's ok.

What conrods are you using? You mentioned F4RT rods early on in the thread.
What size supercharger are you using?
How much does your car weight?
Does having 25mm spacers not put more stress on the wheel bearings?
Has the ecu been mapped live or is it just a general chip for supercharging?
How much power does it make?

Hi Dave, thanks for the comments.

I'm using completely standard internals from the F4R, nothing internally has been changed, except running a Megane keywayed crank sprocket.

Using a C30-94 Rotrex Supercharger

Car weighs about 1050kg I imagine.

Never had any problems with 25mm spacers on any car.

ECU needs to be mapped, but I'm running a TDF EC1 ECU.

Not a clue on how much power it makes, it goes well and I'm not chasing figures. At a guess 260bhp

Clio 172
Hi Dave, thanks for the comments.

I'm using completely standard internals from the F4R, nothing internally has been changed, except running a Megane keywayed crank sprocket.

Using a C30-94 Rotrex Supercharger

Car weighs about 1050kg I imagine.

Never had any problems with 25mm spacers on any car.

ECU needs to be mapped, but I'm running a TDF EC1 ECU.

Not a clue on how much power it makes, it goes well and I'm not chasing figures. At a guess 260bhp

How far do you recon you can push the standard internals before you need to strengthen them?
How have you lowered the comp ratio?
why do you need a megane keywayed crank sprocket? Don't they have a keywayed as standard?

Interesting, my old 200sx killed wheel bearings with 10mm spacers fitted :/

So when are you getting it fully mapped?

SQ5
How far do you recon you can push the standard internals before you need to strengthen them?
How have you lowered the comp ratio?
why do you need a megane keywayed crank sprocket? Don't they have a keywayed as standard?

Interesting, my old 200sx killed wheel bearings with 10mm spacers fitted :/

So when are you getting it fully mapped?

Well I don't think they'd see past 280. The thing with the supercharger is that the engine is using say 40bhp just to turn it. So your pistons will see an extra 40bhp in theory that the crank won't of that makes sense? So really mine runs 300 odd at the pistons but only 260 at the flywheel.

I haven't lowered the compression ratio, it's not needed running minimal boost ~6psi.

The crank as standard is keywayed but the pulley isn't, it was common for a standard 172 that had been supercharged to slip the belt. I've done it twice before. And or the sake of £40 it's worth fitting.

The car is fully mapped as the ECU came with the conversion I bought, it's mapped for higher boost but it works very well with a little bit less!