ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dr Jekyll's Ph1 172 Progress Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I'd stick my nose in here after the chat in the ph1 appreciation thread.

The car looks very nice and clean mate, good effort so far and I bet it stops nicely too. Ph1's are win :wink:.

Haha, i didnt think you'd stay out for long. Thanks for the comment mate :smile: It does stop ok but im only on a EBC road pad so next year i will get a better pad. Probably DS2500 as i liked them in my old Wilwood kit or maybe try the Mintex1144's. I believe the pads are actually a Volvo 240 pad that fit in my Hi-Spec's.

Decided to do a little winter overhaul on the Ph1 before it starts getting too cold. Bought a few things that needed replacing:

New Elf evo oil
Oil filter and washer
Fuel filter
New wiper blades
New headlight bulbs
Screen wash
Coolant change to Type D
Boot panel clips

15673387572_4164b65ff9_c.jpg

15673387732_67c3b349ce_c.jpg

15486407228_483a2fcd3b_c.jpg

15648071966_1b37c40c36_c.jpg

15506606877_de2ecda581_c.jpg

15648072936_441e21c272_c.jpg

I decided i wanted to remove the 5k HID's as they flicker when first lit up and and i have to change the pins everytime i get new bulbs for them so after a few read ups i got the Osram Nightbreakers Unlimited. The colour is more yellow than the blue 5k's but changing a bulb will be easier and there's less clutter in the bay. Think of all that weight saving!

HID's on the left, Nightbreakers on the right.

15072098134_ee907af17f_c.jpg

15690118411_8a68540d8a_c.jpg

Next up was a idea that i got from @dmallett that he did on one of he's many cars. I cant even remember which one!

Basically my jacking sill were non existent. It really bugged me the way the was all bent in so i decided to cut up some box section at work and weld them on for strength. I sandblasted them as i wanted to paint them before i undeseal them.

15691089935_6d8ea504f9_c.jpg

I bent them as straight as i could then a i got a chap at work to weld them on the car.

15505296809_1043835a2c_c.jpg

15071220954_3cf865836c_c.jpg

15071800583_e906b7e9f6_c.jpg

15071214344_59bd23f64d_c.jpg

All welded.

15691158455_7d25a5be5d_c.jpg

15505284639_f4c7125ce7_c.jpg

Ive given them a coat of silver Hammerite that i had for now but i'll give them another coat before i underseal the car. Should be stronger now. Thanks Charlie :smile:

Next up was to change the coolant which @AlexW gave me a hand with.

Old.

15506336797_71c66caf7d_c.jpg

New.

15506729460_c6457bb7d2_c.jpg

Changed the wiper blades.

Old.
15691568045_bf0af06b22_c.jpg

New.

15506731770_683e3096ac_c.jpg

I removed the taxdisc holder too. I was attending the EoE so i gave the car a quick wash. Checked the torque on the spacers bolts which were fine and gave the coilovers and brakes a clean. They both still look like new :smile:

15693140812_8ab35e945d_c.jpg

When me and Alex had the bonnet open we noticed that the dephaser pulley sounded a little bit dodgy. I was planning on getting the belts done by him next year but i will bring this forward now. We are aiming to do it hopefully this month. I checked my paperwork on he car today and the cambelt was last done in 2010 and the aux belt in 2012. My gearbox crunches in 3rd on quick changes so while the belts are being done it will be perfect timing to get the gearbox rebuilt by agency. I didnt do the oil change so we will do it when the belts get done. Here's a list of parts that will be getting done:

Cambelt
Depahser
Aux belt
Cam seals
Crank bolt
Water pump
Coolant
Clutch
Gearbox oil
PAS oil
Rack bushes
Spark plugs

While the box and block are out im going to remove all covers etc and get them painted and paint the box and block when it comes back from the refurb. Alex thinks the timings out so it should be running like a dream in a few weeks time :smile:

Last edited:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I also have a clean spare throttle pedal and ph1 gear knob so I might get a new cat fitting kit and new clutch and brake pedals and fit these too.

I got my insurance renewal quote come through and with my missus on its £729, all mods declared. It's expensive due to her age and without her it's £379. With the big service due it makes sence to remove her off the insurance, plus I'm sure she won't drive it much in the winter anyway.

Many.
Shed.

Cat fitting kit is probably a good shout, it'll be super easy while the engine is out too. Although 182 manifold is full of win lol.

Keep an eye on those jacking points to, as that section there isn't structural and will bend inwards if not careful. Hence why Dan put them to sqeeze the Sill lips.

Alex has a point about the jacking points, tbh I dont like the way I done mine (they didnt sit that straight) Woud be better cutting a section of the folded sill out completely and replace it with a bit of box section where the exsisting was.

Good update as ever!

Also where'd you get those bulbs from? Might get a set for mine!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Shed.

Cat fitting kit is probably a good shout, it'll be super easy while the engine is out too. Although 182 manifold is full of win lol.

Keep an eye on those jacking points to, as that section there isn't structural and will bend inwards if not careful. Hence why Dan put them to sqeeze the Sill lips.

Do the manifolds actually make "that" much difference? The box section is more of a sill strengthener, rather than relying on it. It's more to stop the sill bending backwards again. Before we welded it, it did look like someone had jacked it there before as it was slightly dented both sides

Alex has a point about the jacking points, tbh I dont like the way I done mine (they didnt sit that straight) Woud be better cutting a section of the folded sill out completely and replace it with a bit of box section where the exsisting was.

Good update as ever!

Also where'd you get those bulbs from? Might get a set for mine!

Thought you admire me admiring your work ;)

I got them from eBay for £18. I just typed in "Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited HB3" and went for the cheapest!

Many.
I spoke to Woodford about it on Rob's, he said if not worried about fitting it, do it, and he knows a lot more than I do about tuning these Clios.

Would just need a link pipe, are you bothered about cat? Decat would be simple to make, no stupid olive join like 182's.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Danny. I shall see where the funds take me. I know my lambda sensor/spensors are out so maybe worth doing that too. I have twin cat on my ph1, do they have 1 or 2 lambdas?

SQ5
Complete pot luck! It may have one or two, being a later one and in iceberg silver I would guess it has two!

182 manifolds can be had for a good price these days.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I vaguely remember seeing two....

I shall have a look at the manifolds. Quite like the fact that it's legal with the cat on so it's all worth thinking about.

Many.
You'd need a 182 cat really, as the twin barrel would be a right dick to keep.

Plenty of options tbf.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
@AlexW It's all worth thinking about so I shall speak to you more when I see you next.

As said, it's more about getting it running sweet rather than power upgrade, but understand its the time to do it while the engine is out. It's all funds dependant.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
U not sticking some nice catcams in while the belts getting done? 421's you know it makes sense :tonguewink:

Many.
Decat pipe would be easy to make, probably even easier due to your stealth system.

Cat would be a pain, but nothing to stop us making two link pipes, and put a sports cat in one.

Meh, discuss when I next see you.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
U not sticking some nice catcams in while the belts getting done? 421's you know it makes sense :tonguewink:

As much as I'd love too it means that I'd have to buy the cams and then remap it which is another £900 aprrox and tbh Jamie, I don't want to spend that kind of money extra as we're still saving for a mortgage. My main concern is to get it running right with all new parts that need replacing done. Power is not a big issue for me, as long as it's running sweet and true.

If I wasn't saving then it would be a different story ;)

Many.
Proper update in my thread, just to spite Mark lol.

Don't take long when you know what you're doing. Plus everything went to plan!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Shot out to see Alex and the Clio this morning. Took a few pics. Alex said that this could have been one of the easiest clio's to have worked on.

15183692324_1c4abc62bf_z.jpg

15618439508_99e4078f46_z.jpg

Clutch was the original one. Had done 83k so fair play there.

15802105681_c4310139d5_z.jpg

Decided that i'll be using some Nimbus heatshield as the existing bulkhead carpet is all manky but im not spending over £100 on a Renault one. Gave the bay a quick clean too, but Alex will give it another one before the engine goes back in.

15805607052_996eb57a7c_z.jpg

15619191820_f7fb2519e6_z.jpg

And parts to be painted. Going all silver apart from engine mount plate, cam cover, ecu bracket and battery brace bar which will be black :smile:

15618641188_c13ec26e91_z.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
When you do, can you post some pics in here please?

Yeah man, i had a knocking noise so i ordered solid engine mounts. Been on for a while now. Got both engine ones and lower dogbone one too. I will be buying some powerflex steering rack bushes this week too.... well Alex will!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Update (shamelessly taken from @AlexW thread)

Gearbox has come back from Agency Transmissions. Got it painted in silver then dropped off to Alex's. Had all my bits painted. Got all the silver parts done with 2pac lacquer and I've painted the rocker cover and a few other small bits in satin black and halfords rattle lacquer with plenty of coats.

15803666556_614252fb8c_z.jpg
Photo25-11-2014143201_zps15a6319e.jpg

Photo30-11-2014122018_zpsbe68cf84.jpg

Photo30-11-2014122020_zpsaa08f9df.jpg

Photo30-11-2014122026_zpsca4cf508.jpg

Photo30-11-2014125950_zpsfce78965.jpg

Photo30-11-2014143956_zps4cd9d670.jpg

Filled the box with...

Photo30-11-2014141925_zps377f745a.jpg

However the box leaks, from the end plate, Cheers Agency lol.

Quick list of what its had...

Powerflex Black Rack Bushes
Nimbus Heatshield
Cam cover re-sealed (Loctite 518)
Cam seals
Dephaser
Cambelt kit
Water pump
Aux belt kit
Inlet gaskets
oil filter
Thermostat
Changed alternator pulley to the later 182 metal type.
Valeo Clutch
Spark plugs
Changed gearstick for a refurbished item
Cat fitting kit

That's what he's done so far, still loads of bits to come.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Plus new mounts. Ok there solid ones, but the others were knackered anyway. Obviously new brakes and new coilovers all round too so it should be all good :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
It's go hard or go home bro!

Actually I read that the standard ones are crap for longevity and these are recommended. Although there is more vibration than standard, I don't think I'd go back as standard feels too slack.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
What's happening with the leaking box? Actually that sounds really dodgy :smile: